Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

merk posted:

Beast here. What's up team?

Gut here: You're in a game where it will be frowned on if you get mean, so giving yourself a flavorful reason to be flashily obtuse feels like it serves scum-merk meta agendas more than it does town-merk meta agendas.

Remind us why you're voting for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
A few things that bother me so far:

bowmore posted:

Oh man this is getting complicated already
This is in regard to MG's claim. MG's role does put an interesting twist on the fuel mechanic. But when I see posts like this, talking about how something is complicated, not adding anything, etc, it seems to me like the person is trying to make it a distraction. Or rather, seem like it's more confusing that it is. It bothers me.

In addition to that:

bowmore posted:

I might be wrong
This is nothing by itself, but this is after bowmore says that jakep is town. Byers asks why, bowmore says gut but then adds in another post the quote above. Seems unnecessary. Why need to further hedge your bet? I don't like it.

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

It makes me wish I had a better read on xopods because I think he and I have similar playstyles except he's more explicitly big on game theory, and hammering on QPQ's response in [i]exactly{/i} that way is how I would have kept pressure/train building as scum. In this case, I formed the thought but it didn't quite pass a smell test and so I didn't hit it that way when I voted.
I don't really understand what you are trying to say here. Are you trying to say that you think that xopods is also scum with QPQ and he's trying to get on this bandwagon quick?

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Token Female posted:

I don't really understand what you are trying to say here. Are you trying to say that you think that xopods is also scum with QPQ and he's trying to get on this bandwagon quick?

I'm saying that I still think QPQ is scummy as articulated. It is also true that Xopods made a point against QPQ that is the kind of point I would definitely have made as scum if there was steam going on a townie. I considered making exactly xopods' point but I couldn't convince myself that it was on the right side of twisting theories to suit facts vs. the other way around.

I don't think there's any evidence that they're scum together, if anything it's seeming to me more like a one of but not both situation. QPQ is my current frontrunner. I'm watching xopods more carefully.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

Magnus Gallant posted:

In other news I got a major scum read on Meinberg, revel in how forced these posts read:

##vote meinberg

It looks to me like he thinks that like he's a likely target for getting killed. I've never played with meinberg before. Does meinberg usually come across as scummy in general leading to being lynched often? And if so, is he aware of that?

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I'm saying that I still think QPQ is scummy as articulated. It is also true that Xopods made a point against QPQ that is the kind of point I would definitely have made as scum if there was steam going on a townie. I considered making exactly xopods' point but I couldn't convince myself that it was on the right side of twisting theories to suit facts vs. the other way around.

I don't think there's any evidence that they're scum together, if anything it's seeming to me more like a one of but not both situation. QPQ is my current frontrunner. I'm watching xopods more carefully.

So it's more of a metagame/gut feeling about xopods? It's still weird to me that you are saying that you were thinking of making the case that xopods made on QPQ, but it's a case that you would make as scum. I know that this is not what you said, but I'm hearing you'd vote for QPQ as scum with a similar case as you are voting for him now, and it makes me feel like you are just throwing out a case for the sake of throwing out a case.

Does this make sense?

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Token Female posted:

So it's more of a metagame/gut feeling about xopods? It's still weird to me that you are saying that you were thinking of making the case that xopods made on QPQ, but it's a case that you would make as scum. I know that this is not what you said, but I'm hearing you'd vote for QPQ as scum with a similar case as you are voting for him now, and it makes me feel like you are just throwing out a case for the sake of throwing out a case.

Does this make sense?

No, not really tokes. If someone agrees with a case I make in a way that I think might show scummy motivations, I'm going to note it and there's no reason not to say it. It's D1, there's definitely room for multiple theories out there.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Token Female posted:

It looks to me like he thinks that like he's a likely target for getting killed. I've never played with meinberg before. Does meinberg usually come across as scummy in general leading to being lynched often? And if so, is he aware of that?

I do tend to come off as scummy to most people, but it leads to lynches surprisingly rarely.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

No, not really tokes. If someone agrees with a case I make in a way that I think might show scummy motivations, I'm going to note it and there's no reason not to say it. It's D1, there's definitely room for multiple theories out there.

Sure I guess, but it didn't sound that why when you first posted that.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Byers2142 posted:

I need advice for my night action. Without going into details, I see two ways I can use it. One is somewhat safer and a more defensive move, one is more dangerous but a decidedly offensive move. Given I don't plan on living long, do y'all favor a risky offense or trying to set up a bit of defense?

Majority choice informs which way I go. The responsibility still rests with me since I'm still picking the targets, I'm just looking for advice on how to pick my targets.

why are you claiming any role at all

oh my gosh, byers

Byers2142 posted:

Byers: "Hi, guys, I've got a cool power that I need FUEL for that I'm openly talking about in the thread. I've ensured I have FUEL tonight, and I'm obviously planning something."

Scum: "Yes, there's a man that we should just ignore."

this is exactly why you shouldnt have claimed to have a cool power. why did you do this

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

This is not a correct reading. Xopods' thoughts are entirely cogent -- he asserts that your non-answer was crafted so that you could hammer on either end of it as the obvious interpretation no matter which way the wind was blowing.

It makes me wish I had a better read on xopods because I think he and I have similar playstyles except he's more explicitly big on game theory, and hammering on QPQ's response in [i]exactly{/i} that way is how I would have kept pressure/train building as scum. In this case, I formed the thought but it didn't quite pass a smell test and so I didn't hit it that way when I voted.

Xopods' argument is cogent and I would not normally object to posts like it, except that it came after a subsequent explanation. Excepting a vote by you, I was not under any pressure to explain myself. In fact, the discussion had moved away from myself to a general joking chat about JakeP's playstyle in general. It would be in my best interest to move on as scum. Instead, I addressed your concern and clarified the issue.

Xopods' case has merit if the ONLY thing I had posted was about the seriousness of my vote. Between my post and his, however, I had made several subsequent explanations. There's more information to go on that xopods' dismissed. He's either unaware that anything happened, and consequently inattentive, or ignoring data to support his case, in which case he's dishonest. Right now, I lean toward the latter based on his follow-up:

quote:

I'm not omitting it. I said "in particular." His vote on JakeP seemed a little scummy to begin with, and I don't like his "i always think too much about stupid things" post much either. I'm not building a full case on him at this point, just suspicious, but figured I'd point out the worst thing he's done to cause that suspicion.

He's drawing in a second post that supports his suspicions and claiming that it was part of the reason he voted on me, despite no mention of it in his initial vote (1). He's only collecting information that supports him while failing to address posts that seem to contradict his vote. He says that he is "pointing out the worst thing he's done," but that doesn't seem like an honest way to build a case.

I also don't like how xopods is apparently trying to distance himself from a bandwagon that he helped start. He is basically drawing attention to issues in the hopes that other people will support them so that he doesn't look committed in the event that I am lynched.

JakeP posted:

I've correctly identified scum based on their confirmation post

not everyone can be mafia superstars like you jake

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

Meinberg posted:

I do tend to come off as scummy to most people, but it leads to lynches surprisingly rarely.

Ok, but then why post:

Meinberg posted:

should I put myself on the line in order to open the pool for the dayvig?

Why volunteer?

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

Token Female posted:

Sure I guess, but it didn't sound that way when you first posted that.

mafia edit.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

QuoProQuid posted:

not everyone can be mafia superstars like you jake

Pay me $999.99 to take my seminar

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

In hindsight, xopods' latest post reminds me of the guy who "is just asking questions."

##unvote for now. I need a moment to think.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Token Female posted:

Ok, but then why post:

Why volunteer?

I'm bad at Mafia, and I think it'd be better for town if I ate a dayvig, rather than someone useful.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

THINKING COMPLETE..........

LOCKING ON TO XOPODS.

##vote: xopods

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The meinberg case is solid and I'll be happy to flip my vote to him if he's a viable lynch for today, but hey seriously, look at KFC:

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Re: meinberg -- I'll try to find the citation for the last game I thought this later, but I already commented. He's been a bit vacuous and overwritten but this has not meant scum in the past for him.
What kind of weak sauce, wishy-washy, easily washed away defense is that? "Noooo guys he's totally suspicious but not scum, look at me justify not voting for him but also leaving myself a retreat for when he flips scum and people start looking for his buddies"

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Meinberg posted:

I'm bad at Mafia, and I think it'd be better for town if I ate a dayvig, rather than someone useful.

You're not bad at mafia, I don't care what your mom and all your family and all your friends and the english speaking world says

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Meinberg posted:

stop wallowing in self-pity and play the game. "im bad at mafia" is not an excuse or an explanation.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Seriously, no one is going to excuse you for scummy behavior just because you say, "I'm bad at this game." If anything, that's going to me more liable to focus on you because that's a lazy excuse I would expect scum to use and because I know your play from other games. You were not like this in Civ II mafia.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

CapnAndy posted:

The meinberg case is solid and I'll be happy to flip my vote to him if he's a viable lynch for today, but hey seriously, look at KFC:
What kind of weak sauce, wishy-washy, easily washed away defense is that? "Noooo guys he's totally suspicious but not scum, look at me justify not voting for him but also leaving myself a retreat for when he flips scum and people start looking for his buddies"

There's a difference between "he's not scum" and "what I understand people are citing as scummy behavior are not, coming from him, scumtells" I'm saying the latter. Please expand/recap the solid case you're seeing.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Meinberg posted:

This.... yeah okay this is awful

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

Seriously, no one is going to excuse you for scummy behavior just because you say, "I'm bad at this game." If anything, that's going to me more liable to focus on you because that's a lazy excuse I would expect scum to use and because I know your play from other games. You were not like this in Civ II mafia.

You're really not arguing in good faith here. I was answering a specific query with that remark, and I can assure you that my reasoning is accurate. And of course I didn't play like this in CivII Mafia, not only was I scum in that game, I had the benefit of two documents to bounce ideas off of before I came into the thread. I'm probably going to need to do a full reread of the game, to tell the truth, which I'll do some point today.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Im pretty satisfied with my capn andy vote. He tried to get into a pile-on on me, but when he tried to explain it his reasoning was the exact opposite of what he tried to call me on. That fella just wants to find a bandwagon to join. Probably a magneto

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

Im pretty satisfied with my capn andy vote. He tried to get into a pile-on on me, but when he tried to explain it his reasoning was the exact opposite of what he tried to call me on. That fella just wants to find a bandwagon to join. Probably a magneto

This is terminator mafia not X-Men mafia

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Magnus Gallant posted:

This is terminator mafia not X-Men mafia

i havent seen that movie either

Meinberg posted:

You're really not arguing in good faith here. I was answering a specific query with that remark, and I can assure you that my reasoning is accurate. And of course I didn't play like this in CivII Mafia, not only was I scum in that game, I had the benefit of two documents to bounce ideas off of before I came into the thread. I'm probably going to need to do a full reread of the game, to tell the truth, which I'll do some point today.

I'm sorry if you genuinely are this discouraged, but posts such as those are not helpful. No one is going to accept you volunteering to be dayvigged and your subsequent explanation rings hollow. The circumstances between this game and Civ II are different, but you are an experienced player. Votefinder says as much.

I guess that if you are scum, I'm asking you not to rely on these arguments because they are cheap and rely on me pitying you. Don't make me feel bad for lynching you. If you are town, have more confidence in yourself. Come on, man.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

I guess that if you are scum, I'm asking you not to rely on these arguments because they are cheap and rely on me pitying you. Don't make me feel bad for lynching you. If you are town, have more confidence in yourself. Come on, man.

Ugh, confidence.

Okay, I've reread the thread, got some coffee in me.

Two things: Is Mikujin the nickname for someone else? Is it a reference to something? Because as far I can tell, she or he hasn't posted in this thread.

CapnAndy posted:

This is a bad post. He's willing to vote for me based on the case on me, but doesn't ascribe to any case in particular. It feels like a very noncommittal stab in my direction, before he switches gears and then turns onto KFC. Admittedly, KFC's post in question is very poorly phrased, but CapnAndy is misinterpreting it, in a way that I feel is deliberate, but that could just be on account of my gut pinging him.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Mikujin is an old school player, hasn't played in like a year or two. Used to play quite a lot.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

JakeP posted:

Im pretty satisfied with my capn andy vote. He tried to get into a pile-on on me, but when he tried to explain it his reasoning was the exact opposite of what he tried to call me on.
I seriously have never tried to get a pile-on on you and I've never explained it because I never did that, though? Like, what posts are you interpreting as that, because I don't want to vote you at all.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

I seriously have never tried to get a pile-on on you and I've never explained it because I never did that, though? Like, what posts are you interpreting as that, because I don't want to vote you at all.

You didn't try to initiate a pile on, you tried to jump on one that was forming, without actually paying attention. You said some thing about me asking for fuel, and just because I asked for fuel doesn't mean I am town because scum also need fuel or some silly thing, when I was getting chastised for saying I do not need fuel. You were willing to jump on the lynch jakep pileon without even knowing the reason the pileon was happening.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Gallant posted:

Mikujin is an old school player, hasn't played in like a year or two. Used to play quite a lot.

Is it mean to call him Lurkujin? If so pretend I didnt

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I feel pretty good about Andy being scum though. His defensive reaction to me is the back breaking straw that killed my camel

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

JakeP posted:

You didn't try to initiate a pile on, you tried to jump on one that was forming, without actually paying attention. You said some thing about me asking for fuel, and just because I asked for fuel doesn't mean I am town because scum also need fuel or some silly thing, when I was getting chastised for saying I do not need fuel. You were willing to jump on the lynch jakep pileon without even knowing the reason the pileon was happening.
Lol 'kay let's see some quotes

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

You have me mostly convinced, JakeP, but I would like to see some quotes as well. Gotta put in those footnotes!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

“Never give in–never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.” -Winston Churchil

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

“Never give in–never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.” -Winston Churchil

Gonna need more than that to sway me

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Jake dude it is honestly baffling that you're this mad about me telling you that it's a safe bet that scum need fuel too

Like, I still think you're town, but what's going on here bro

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

Jake dude it is honestly baffling that you're this mad about me telling you that it's a safe bet that scum need fuel too

Like, I still think you're town, but what's going on here bro

Im more mad because in my initial madness i broke my hand smashing things

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
When looking back at it it looks a lot more innocent than I remember it though. My gut is screaming at me though. Maybe Ishould have lunch

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Does Andy usually get so uppity though when someone makes a bad case on him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Holy poo poo if you think this is uppity you need to recalibrate your Andy-sensors

this is mild bemusement, you'll know uppity when you see it

• Locked thread