Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Motronic posted:

This is the typical "I hate iDevices" rant I hear. So let me explain it to you as simply as possible: if you need to do those things the device was NOT designed for you. Most people do not need to do any of that, or even really grasp what any of it is. This is the bulk of the market, and who these wildly popular devices were designed for. The sales numbers speak for themselves.

Yeah, most people definitely never need to download anything or save attachments :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 201 days!)

The Midniter posted:

I know this is Automotive Insanity and whatnot but lots of the regulars here seem to be, like, way hosed up in one way or another. What's the deal with that? Are there any relatively sane, well-adjusted people here? Or does this forum just attract people with a penchant for alternative lifestyles/brain patterns?

You are on the internet. The internet does not attract normal people. Now that everyone is on it- imagine how hosed up society will be in the next decade. :toot:

meatpimp posted:

Be careful, he'll start sending you angry PMs.

You sure seem to have a lot of butthurt for having a semi-anonymous online person deciding they just don't like your shtick and would prefer that you just leave them alone. Its OK, man. I've got people who don't like me, either.

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, most people definitely never need to download anything or save attachments :downs:

If they're an Apple person, they likely don't understand what either of those things mean. :shobon:

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

KozmoNaut posted:

If I'm doing that, then I'm probably doing enough work to warrant a laptop.

Bash Apple all you want for not doing everything you want them too, but they are well on their way to being the first trillion dollar company. For people like me who are fed up with tinkering on computer bullshit, their claim that "it just works" is completely true. Google exists for people who want to tinker. Apple is for those of us who don't give a gently caress anymore.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

On a phone or tablet? No, they actually do not. Other than photos, which are trivially easy to do on iDevices.

I think that you don't understand that you are, for lack of a better term, a "power user". These devices were not intended for that. They are for the unwashed masses to consume content with minimal to no training or knowledge of how computers work.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I like my Windows Phone :blush:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Viggen posted:

You weren't kidding about that, were you?

NOPE.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

E: I'd rather carry my 14 year old star-tac anyways.

I wish I hung on to my old star-tac. It was a kick rear end phone, and i only needed to charge the thing maybe 3 times a week, the batteries were awesome.

Motronic posted:

On a phone or tablet? No, they actually do not. Other than photos, which are trivially easy to do on iDevices.

I think that you don't understand that you are, for lack of a better term, a "power user". These devices were not intended for that. They are for the unwashed masses to consume content with minimal to no training or knowledge of how computers work.

Its good for taking lots of selfies and posting them on instagram.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Motronic posted:

Seriously, my mother can't use a computer at all. I bought her the first iPad for christmas when it came out and she was browsing and e-mailing with no problems in an hour. Same story with my grandmother. If you really think the device designed to get my computer illiterate mother and grandmother on the internet was designed for you, you are insane.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
2 issues Im having with my iphone4 non S, is it possible to open a youtube link in browser and not have to go back to the home screen before returning to browser? And i loving hate that all my photos are either in just one huge folder or sorted by what day I saved them and cant for the life of me figure out how to make it 2 folders for downloads and pictures ive taken.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

The Midniter posted:

I know this is Automotive Insanity and whatnot but lots of the regulars here seem to be, like, way hosed up in one way or another. What's the deal with that? Are there any relatively sane, well-adjusted people here? Or does this forum just attract people with a penchant for alternative lifestyles/brain patterns?

Everybody is hosed up, but we're way more open and in touch with our insanity.

I love my iPhone because I don't care at all about phones. It is an absolutely brainless piece of technology that does everything I need it to do.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I still picture you wearing a pursebag phone.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

2 issues Im having with my iphone4 non S, is it possible to open a youtube link in browser and not have to go back to the home screen before returning to browser? And i loving hate that all my photos are either in just one huge folder or sorted by what day I saved them and cant for the life of me figure out how to make it 2 folders for downloads and pictures ive taken.

Hit the done button on the top right(?) when you are done with the youtube video, it'll take you back to the browser.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Is it a GSM phone? I know the Verizon version you aren't supposed to be able to activate it anymore because it is not E911 capable.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Viggen posted:

I still picture you wearing a pursebag phone.

I have a bag phone for calling my buddies in Qatar.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

CharlesM posted:

Me too! I even have the old 7.8 and I still enjoy it. Its semi-locked down like Apple but its just open enough that it doesn't bug me too much.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

The Midniter posted:

Go read E/N every once in a while then you will see AI is pretty sane. Every one has problems. I think its easier to share in AI than E/N because much less trolling. AI actually is the most well adjusted forum out of SA, and if we ever did have a AI goon meet, I think we would most likely clean out a large liquor store.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CharlesM posted:

I like my wife's Windows Phone too, she opted for the Nokia 1020 because she takes a ton of pictures. WP8 was ok-ish? 8 felt very unfinished, but after the 8.1 update it is now amazingly polished. Her car also has Sync in it so 8.1 just made it a completely seamless experience. For shits and giggles we were going to Pleasanton to meet some friends so we used Cortana and had it recommend an Indian restaurant. It gave a recommendation based off top yelp listings for Indian food, so we had it dial it, we made reservations. All this was done through the car, it's still pretty impressive. My note 3 and her previous Iphone wouldn't have done that. After using the 3 digital assistants, Cortana is definitely the most thorough of the 3. Every iphone I've had got ridiculously slow after about a year and a half of use almost like a planned upgrade cycle, I hope the note doesn't do the same thing. Switching from ios to android there are a few things that I miss, mostly the dialer with integrated visual voice mail. But there are also things I like better about the note, unfortunately it ships with Samsung garbage firmly embedded into the phone so I had to do a lot of switching and uninstalling whenever I could to get it where I wanted it. The downside to a note 3 is if you uninstall "My Magazine" aka swipe up from bottom, it crashes the phone so I've already had to do a restore. I really wish there was some way to just kill off the Samsung crap completely and go back to a stock android experience. That's the 1 thing I would say that is a major plus about ios. Good, bad, or indifferent, Apple has absolute control with hardware and software to deliver the same experience to everybody.

edit:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Go read E/N every once in a while then you will see AI is pretty sane.

I'd add Pet Island to the list too, those people are loving insane. I checked it out for a week or so and backed right out. I'd say the DIY and Hobbies people are pretty much on par with AI though, there are a lot of really cool threads in there.

keykey fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 16, 2014

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It's funny, people think I'm unstable or abnormal because I've been single for about 7 years and really have no interest in getting back in the dating game. I've never been happier or more financially stable than I am now, and for that I'm crazy? All I think about when I think about relationships is having to constantly do stuff that someone else wants to do, go places she wants to go, buy things she wants to buy, and sacrifice the things I want to do it.

Yes I tend to be attracted to narcissistic, demanding, high maintenance women, why do you ask?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

LloydDobler posted:

Yes I tend to be attracted to narcissistic, demanding, high maintenance women, why do you ask?

Sounds like its time for a British car to enter your life.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Yes I tend to be attracted to narcissistic, demanding, high maintenance women

O.M.GEEE yesterday Brittney posted some pictures on her Facebook page of her totally at the mall buying a new dress in Nordstroms.. Yeah, soooo today I'm all like, I really wanna like, you know, go to the mall to get myself a dress that's more expensive, like I totally don't even care what it is as long as I like one up her, you know? And then like Tiffany posted that she was at that new place having lunch, like I want to do that except at the newer new place for lunch tooooooooo.. Like, I want to post new pictures of me doing things they aren't, because then like I'm totally better than them. Then like my boyfriend was all like I should get a job or something and I'm like, no waaaaaay why would I do that when I can totally just sponge off you and if not you then somebody else?

Sorry, flashbacks of a girl I went out with for maybe 2 weeks a long time ago that annoyed the poo poo out of me after a week. She was hot and that's all she had going for her. She was OK in bed, nothing spectacular but other than that she was that last paragraph the rest of the time. Also substitute Facebook for Myspace.

keykey fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 16, 2014

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

keykey posted:

I'd add Pet Island to the list too, those people are loving insane. I checked it out for a week or so and backed right out. I'd say the DIY and Hobbies people are pretty much on par with AI though, there are a lot of really cool threads in there.

Just to address this, as a PI poster as well, most of them are fine. The ones who aren't are crazy as poo poo though. They are also 100% wanting to give correct information and don't tolerate bullshit excuses, so its a little harsh - but they are dealing with trying to keep living things alive and healthy. That being said, I've started haunting AI because a) I'm starting to take an interest in this stuff again and b) everyone's pretty chill.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
My wife yelled at me about how she read on Facebook that a couple we know managed to pay off their house and get debt-free and that it was my fault that we we couldn't do the same because I have been laid off a couple of times.

I told her that she couldn't compare the two situations because the circumstances are vastly different. They make twice what we do, they have no student loans (my wife has 65k in student loans), they live in a place where housing is much cheaper in general, and most importantly, they don't have any kids.

Nope, totally my fault and the situations are totally comparable because she is hell bent on finding any way she can be miserable and unhappy.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Be careful, he'll start sending you angry PMs.

I wasn't surprised that Apple locked down NFC to some degree, but to make it nothing but Apple Pay takes away a lot of cool functionality. They could take $.10 NFC stickers and market "Apple Spots" where the phones engage in some way when they're near... any number of ideas really... but nope, it's got the functionality, you just can't use it.

I wouldn't be surprised that in iOS 9 or iOS 10 or whatever the NFC will be accessible to 3rd parties in at least some fashion. The fingerprint scanner was initially login/Apple-purchase-only, but the API is now becoming available to 3rd party apps. Limiting the attack/bug surface to specific functionality only Apple controls for the initial iteration isn't a terrible idea for keeping up their "it just works" appearance.

I for one hope Apple Pay actually does something to the credit card POS market my last debit card had paywave and I never found a single POS terminal where tap-to-pay actually worked. Recent replacement card doesn't even have it anymore.

Anyway in a different note, I had dinner with my parents last night and my mother was lamenting selling her old Saab (she didn't realize the company, and not just the local dealer, was shuttered) and that she wished she had a manual transmission in her 2007 (or 2008) XC-70. I know some of you guys talk about manual swaps from time to time, but how much money and effort would we really be talking about to do something like that? Were there even XC-70/V-70s of that era with manual transmissions in the US market to pull a spare from?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Go read E/N every once in a while then you will see AI is pretty sane. Every one has problems. I think its easier to share in AI than E/N because much less trolling. AI actually is the most well adjusted forum out of SA, and if we ever did have a AI goon meet, I think we would most likely clean out a large liquor store.

This. And I can't be the only one who is really into cars specifically because automotive poo poo is really inherently therapeutic. If I'm fabricating that new bumper I'm not lying around the house wondering why my life is such a clusterfuck. I can throw my anger at that seized fastener instead of something destructive. And if I'm really worked up I go for a fuckin' drive, think poo poo through and find my inner peace while apexing highway onramps.
Plus, you know, the second word of our subforum title *is* Insanity...

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Viper_3000 posted:

If I'm doing that, then I'm probably doing enough work to warrant a laptop.

Bash Apple all you want for not doing everything you want them too, but they are well on their way to being the first trillion dollar company. For people like me who are fed up with tinkering on computer bullshit, their claim that "it just works" is completely true. Google exists for people who want to tinker. Apple is for those of us who don't give a gently caress anymore.

Yup. I'm definitely in the 'power user' camp but between working full time, being married, and juggling all my hobbies, I just do not have time to gently caress around rooting phones and messing with configurations. I've also consistently failed to be satisfied with any *nix derivative ever, whether it's Linux, Android, or OSX. They're all lovely, so the only time I touch Linux* is when I use a live disc distro to do poo poo like recover a downed box or change a partition size without wiping the whole HDD.

And I have no problems saving email attachments on my iPhone... my preferred method of getting PDFs onto my phone involves emailing them to myself; if you have acrobat reader or kindle apps installed, opening any PDF in your browser or email gives you the option to open it in the reader app, which coincidentally saves it to the phone. Faster and easier than using POS iTunes.

*I do have a copy of OSX installed on my laptop (Dell) on a partition, but it mainly exists for the rare occasion I need to get something off an apple formatted drive.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 16, 2014

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Ug I am so tired of coworkers blind fowarding me emails.

I don't know how to use the dictation server YOU set up, why the gently caress are you forwarding me this email regarding it?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

bennyfactor posted:

I for one hope Apple Pay actually does something to the credit card POS market my last debit card had paywave and I never found a single POS terminal where tap-to-pay actually worked. Recent replacement card doesn't even have it anymore.

Up here in Canada, those things are everywhere (tap to pay that is). I loving love it. Mainly used at the drive through for my morning coffee, and saves me from a) holding cash or b) entering PIN. Great tech.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

It's not a good thing when the engine revs up after changing up a gear without a speed increase is it? :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Siochain posted:

Up here in Canada, those things are everywhere (tap to pay that is). I loving love it. Mainly used at the drive through for my morning coffee, and saves me from a) holding cash or b) entering PIN. Great tech.

The Americans don't really even have chip & PIN yet. Target is basically going to pay for it though with all the fines the credit card companies are going to extract from them.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

freelop posted:

It's not a good thing when the engine revs up after changing up a gear without a speed increase is it? :(

Sounds like new clutch time.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

HotCanadianChick posted:

*I do have a copy of OSX installed on my laptop (Dell) on a partition, but it mainly exists for the rare occasion I need to get something off an apple formatted drive.

There are a dozen HFS drivers for Windows out there. Seagate gives one away for free for use with their devices. It is probably this.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 16, 2014

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Fart Pipe posted:

Sounds like new clutch time.

At only 26.6K miles?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Americans don't really even have chip & PIN yet. Target is basically going to pay for it though with all the fines the credit card companies are going to extract from them.

No we don't and I find it hilarious that when going to the only town with electricity in 50 miles in the middle of nowhere B.C. and they're surprised our cards don't have it.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

Ug I am so tired of coworkers blind fowarding me emails.

My favorite new trend is co-workers putting their email address at the bottom of their signature. It's like they want me to e-mail them back and say

Dear Co-worker,

I was unsure of how to contact you, praise be to allah that you included your e-mail address in the signature of your e-mail otherwise I'd have no other way of contacting you.

Forever thinking about you,
Keykey.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

freelop posted:

It wasn't when it happened to me (turbo Miata on summer tires in a surprise April ice storm at ~75mph. That's not fun).

Yeah, but for ice, probably smoked clutch.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I forgot how much hotels screw with their prices when there is something going on and increased demand. My hotel for two weeks is going to cost 2/3 as much as it did for 7 weeks. No select comfort upgrades available on the way over so no free drinks...guess I'll make the best of a 3 hour layover. 9 hour flight, I intend to board my flight then pass the gently caress out.

LloydDobler posted:

It's funny, people think I'm unstable or abnormal because I've been single for about 7 years and really have no interest in getting back in the dating game. I've never been happier or more financially stable than I am now, and for that I'm crazy? All I think about when I think about relationships is having to constantly do stuff that someone else wants to do, go places she wants to go, buy things she wants to buy, and sacrifice the things I want to do it.
This made me realize the last (>1 month) relationship I had was during high school...12 years ago. Huh. Between work and health bullshit I rarely even think about dating unless someone brings it up.

keykey posted:

My favorite new trend is co-workers putting their email address at the bottom of their signature.
From what I've seen this is very common in Europe. Everyone's email signature will have name, phone, fax, email, cell, address, department, position, etc.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

meatpimp posted:

First they came for your R12, now they're coming for your R134a.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...95f0_story.html

My biggest problem with it is the fact that shops are going to have to get new equipment, cars are going to get new equipment. Compressors will run all the time now wether your using AC or not which means they will need frequent lubrication. Thats right your gonna have to start taking your car in to get your oil changed in your AC compressor. Also systems will be sealed from what I understand so the only way to get readings will be through a scan tool. All this means if your a tech currently, get ready to learn yet more stuff at post shift seminars!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Someone ran into the benz. Goddammit people. If you can't drive a big rear end vehicle don't loving buy one.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

keykey posted:

My favorite new trend is co-workers putting their email address at the bottom of their signature. It's like they want me to e-mail them back and say

Dear Co-worker,

I was unsure of how to contact you, praise be to allah that you included your e-mail address in the signature of your e-mail otherwise I'd have no other way of contacting you.

Forever thinking about you,
Keykey.

Corporate standard signature At lots of places includes name, tel, email, cell, snail address etc. just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

some_admin posted:

Corporate standard signature At lots of places includes name, tel, email, cell, snail address etc. just saying.

So what you're saying is we live in a world that's too retarded to hit the reply button?

• Locked thread