Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Just swap it for a nuLT1. I'm sure there will be a few C7s turning up in the wreckers soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Just swap it for a nuLT1. I'm sure there will be a few C7s turning up in the wreckers soon.

I'm also sure that I could buy 14 5.3s for the same price

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's an even better idea. You have the room for it, even.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I have an awkward parking problem right now.

Because uh well, you see

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What's the story on the Civic?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I picked it up last week to do the things I would prefer not to do with the -V, like parking it at the airport for days (I travel frequently work), winter driving - the Civic is AWD! - and hauling messy poo poo around like my bulldogs.

It's in really good shape, everything works, it costs $68 for 6 months to insure and gets double the gas mileage of the -V. It's also an opportunity to have another project. ;) Found a D16Z6 block this weekend, going to start the process of getting it ready to drop in with a turbo. Also found some Rota Grids and ordered coilovers because I'm broken.

Overall the cars are hugely different but both fun.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Tremek posted:

Overall the cars are hugely different but both fun.

The thing I love most about those civics is the amazing visibility. Driving one makes it so hard to go back to the high belt lines and tiny windows of most modern cars, but at least your -V isn't too bad in that respect.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Tacier posted:

The thing I love most about those civics is the amazing visibility. Driving one makes it so hard to go back to the high belt lines and tiny windows of most modern cars, but at least your -V isn't too bad in that respect.

Visibility is a legit "they don't make them like they used to" crotchety old-person complaint. The Civic feels like driving on top of a go-kart. It came from the factory without a passenger side mirror and while I'm going to add one, it's not a gigantic hindrance when you can see everything over your shoulder. :)

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Great moments in wagon supremacy:

That's a 10' length of 12ga bar, and the hatch still closed with room to spare.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Tremek posted:

Great moments in wagon supremacy:

This reminds me of those Bud Light "Real Men Of Genius" radio ads you'd hear.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

My parking problem is solved!

RT4WD goes in the driveway. Not perfect, but it works.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dog is not impressed.

These are awesome pics and now I have a very awkward erection.

In other news the E61 is going in for the last checkup before extended warranty expires. What can I tell a BMW dealer to get them to actually do poo poo like walnut blast the valves?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

Dog is not impressed.

More like the dog is sad you put his/her Powerwheels away.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

Dog is not impressed.

He's just disappointed that he's not in the car.

http://youtu.be/RhhVtJZGumw

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Another parts haul.

3 doors, 4 rims, two starters, still room for much more poo poo.

Qadaffi Taffy
Oct 1, 2006

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510
Well my wife and I had a kid and so now we need a family vehicle to fit us, our two dogs, a baby and babby accessories in. With our current vehicles the passenger seat needs to be alllll the way forward just to fit the car seat in properly. 

We don't want a van and we don't want an SUV/Crossover. So, we're left with wagons! Wagons are awesome in my opinion but the downside is that there are almost no cool ones available in the USA. We want a functional wagon for our family vehicle and I want it to be fun to drive with some reasonable power.

I test drove this 2008 BMW 535xi yesterday -$23,995 49,816 mi
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...70537/overview/

It's got all the bells and whistles with premium and cold weather packages, (it even has night vision!). It's a pleasurable drive and the power is surprising for such a heavy vehicle. The space is great and the leather interior is like new. The exterior is in pretty good shape for a six year old car. One minor scratch on a rear passenger door, a very slight dent on the front right passenger door, and then normal stone chips on the hood/fender.

Any reason we shouldn't pull the trigger on this wagon? I test drove an Audi a4 avant yesterday and it just didn't hold a candle to the 5 wagon. Other alternatives I'm considering are a CTS wagon awd or some Volvo wagon.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Piearesquared posted:

Well my wife and I had a kid and so now we need a family vehicle to fit us, our two dogs, a baby and babby accessories in. With our current vehicles the passenger seat needs to be alllll the way forward just to fit the car seat in properly. 

We don't want a van and we don't want an SUV/Crossover. So, we're left with wagons! Wagons are awesome in my opinion but the downside is that there are almost no cool ones available in the USA. We want a functional wagon for our family vehicle and I want it to be fun to drive with some reasonable power.

It's got all the bells and whistles with premium and cold weather packages, (it even has night vision!). It's a pleasurable drive and the power is surprising for such a heavy vehicle. The space is great and the leather interior is like new. The exterior is in pretty good shape for a six year old car. One minor scratch on a rear passenger door, a very slight dent on the front right passenger door, and then normal stone chips on the hood/fender.

Any reason we shouldn't pull the trigger on this wagon? I test drove an Audi a4 avant yesterday and it just didn't hold a candle to the 5 wagon. Other alternatives I'm considering are a CTS wagon awd or some Volvo wagon.

Can your afford to own it? Are you mechanically inclined enough to work on a late model BMW? Kids and bmws aren't cheap.

Qadaffi Taffy
Oct 1, 2006

SyHopeful posted:

Can your afford to own it? Are you mechanically inclined enough to work on a late model BMW? Kids and bmws aren't cheap.

We have a dual family income and I can work extra Saturdays to offset the unforseen maintenance cost. I have been able to do my own maintenance on my 2009 mkv gti (oil, brakes etc).

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Piearesquared posted:

We have a dual family income and I can work extra Saturdays to offset the unforseen maintenance cost. I have been able to do my own maintenance on my 2009 mkv gti (oil, brakes etc).

You should probably look up the cost of typical maintenance jobs, at least just parts cost. I don't imagine a full set of rotors and pads are cheap for a 5-series. Or tires. Maybe I'm just a worryer but I see "Well my wife and I had a kid" and think that a 6 year old BMW out of warranty is a terrible, terrible idea unless you are 100% sure you have the financial means to absorb those impending repairs.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My 11 year old 3 series wagon is no big deal for maintenance and I don't even do anything myself. Pretty much apart from staying on top of any coolant issues (BMW bugbear) I don't think it's any more expensive than any other semi premium car.

5 and 7 series would scare the crap out of me, though. A coworker with a 540i would tell stories of huge bills just for the regular wear items.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Piearesquared posted:

Just think about the foreseen first - a water pump and head gasket is a lot of Saturdays, and is also inevitable. The annual walnut blasting isn't cheap either. At only 50k miles, that car probably hasn't had half the things replaced that will fail by 80k. You're going to be replacing every injector and coil pack, and probably have to do the turbos, hpfp (still under warranty at least,) and waste gate actuator as well.

I felt lucky to take only a 3k loss on trading mine in to get an Abarth.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

priznat posted:

My 11 year old 3 series wagon is no big deal for maintenance and I don't even do anything myself. Pretty much apart from staying on top of any coolant issues (BMW bugbear) I don't think it's any more expensive than any other semi premium car.

5 and 7 series would scare the crap out of me, though. A coworker with a 540i would tell stories of huge bills just for the regular wear items.

Yeah, I'd have no problem picking up an E46 330i sans warranty with 100k miles as long as it's been decently maintained, but a 5- or 7-series from the Bangle era forward (I'll also include the E39) is something I absolutely not purchase unless I was independently wealthy or had a rock solid warranty.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

SyHopeful posted:

Yeah, I'd have no problem picking up an E46 330i sans warranty with 100k miles as long as it's been decently maintained, but a 5- or 7-series from the Bangle era forward (I'll also include the E39) is something I absolutely not purchase unless I was independently wealthy or had a rock solid warranty.

What e46 wagon are you going to be picking up 8+ years after the last one rolled off the line with less than 100k?

I'm always the first one to point out when people are being stupid/ignorant of the BMW tax but the dude specifically mentioned Volvos and Audis so I think its safe to assume hes planning on maintenance costs. OP, if you can safely assume 5k in the first year in maintenance to get it in proper order with ~3k a year after that worked into your budget, you'll be fine, read: nigh impervious to even the worst repair problems. With the obvious disclaimer, of course, as always, that you'll be better off if you can wrench on it yourself for the common stuff.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 14, 2014

Qadaffi Taffy
Oct 1, 2006

SuperDucky posted:

What e46 wagon are you going to be picking up 8+ years after the last one rolled off the line with less than 100k?

I'm always the first one to point out when people are being stupid/ignorant of the BMW tax but the dude specifically mentioned Volvos and Audis so I think its safe to assume hes planning on maintenance

Yes I'm definitely not looking for a car to maintain 'on the cheap'. I want a family car we can love and enjoy together without paying new car prices (would like the new Volvo v60 but don't want to cough up $45k).

I can handle some unforeseen fixes if they come up. I would just like to hear that this particular model isn't a reliability nightmare or a money pit in general.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Piearesquared posted:

My experience has been counter to some of the other responses. We have an 08 E61 that we purchased new. Warranty covered the HPFP (a few years ago) and turbos (yesterday) and both were given extra warranty from bmw. We haven't walnut blasted it but have none of the symptoms that would suggest it is necessary. Will probably do it in the next year. I can't turn a wrench but will have the GDCS replaced proactively.

It is a hell of a car and there is more maintenance than other brands but the trade off in comfort and performance is worth it if you can foot the bill. Mrs Mango wants to drive the call until it has to be junked many years in the future she loves it so much. It's the perfect mom and family mobile.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
I've got an '04 Impreza Outback Sport wagon which has been my baby and the only car I've ever owned. It's about to hit 90k miles any day now, and ever since my sister and I replaced the head gasket/2 pistons/belt 2 years ago with the help of a friend (and rotors/calipers/pads/oil myself a couple weeks ago) I've gotten a taste for working on my car. I always wanted to in HS because I was obsessed with WRC and such but now I actually have the money and time. What are some of the best bang-for-your-buck upgrades on the 2.5L EJ251? I drive through the cascades a lot (plus back in forth from Alaska/Seattle in tons of snow) so it's always been a goal of mine to front mount some PIAA lights. IIRC, swapping the up/downpipes was an easy good mod for the WRX but I'm not sure if that applies to the Outbk Spt. If there's a better thread for this let me know, I just have in mind that I want to turn my little Suby into a sleeper rally monster :getin: Harder to swap the block head with the STI block to turbo it, or drop in a whole new engine? I don't really know poo poo but I want to learn!

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

wheez the roux posted:

I've got an '04 Impreza Outback Sport wagon which has been my baby and the only car I've ever owned. It's about to hit 90k miles any day now, and ever since my sister and I replaced the head gasket/2 pistons/belt 2 years ago with the help of a friend (and rotors/calipers/pads/oil myself a couple weeks ago) I've gotten a taste for working on my car. I always wanted to in HS because I was obsessed with WRC and such but now I actually have the money and time. What are some of the best bang-for-your-buck upgrades on the 2.5L EJ251? I drive through the cascades a lot (plus back in forth from Alaska/Seattle in tons of snow) so it's always been a goal of mine to front mount some PIAA lights. IIRC, swapping the up/downpipes was an easy good mod for the WRX but I'm not sure if that applies to the Outbk Spt. If there's a better thread for this let me know, I just have in mind that I want to turn my little Suby into a sleeper rally monster :getin: Harder to swap the block head with the STI block to turbo it, or drop in a whole new engine? I don't really know poo poo but I want to learn!

You have two choices.

1: do suspension mods + good tires and enjoy the car for what it is.

2: sell it and get a wrx.

It isn't worth the money to try and get power out of the EJ251.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Ran the wagon in the Virginia City Hillclimb this weekend alongside a bunch of other Goons (dasvolk, Contraband, shoeish, maybe more?)

Some examples of what resulted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNpfGuE7pns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rUU3sWjRqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOeE3nGzDqY

These shenanigans resulted in a Chairman's Award at the awards banquet for best burnouts and/or favorite car. I consider this a success.

Here's a link to a bunch of photos I took from turn 18 on the course Sunday AM:

https://imgur.com/a/jig0G

Great event. The -V was a hit, particularly with the Ferrari wives who made a point to come over and gush about how much they loved the car. Definitely going back next year with hopefully a faster me and a faster -V.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I keep saying this, but you're doing the lords work.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Slow is Fast posted:

I keep saying this, but you're doing the lords work.

Credit for that specific launch goes to shoeish - who after setting the fastest lap of the weekend in his nutzo GTR, proceeded to do a run in my car with 4 of us with race helmets in the car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Please tell me the outback with the roof box ran too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

nm posted:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/series8217s-2001-subaru-apocalypse-wagon/81228/page1/

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

nm posted:

The Baja was a support vehicle for the GTR and they wisely declined to run it so as to not steal any of the GTR's thunder.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Did some drag racing last night at Bandimere.

Got called out by a 2014 ML63 AMG:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dh8euYyqzY

This is my buddy's '98 Viper with Hennessey Venom 650R package:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oFdINlF23A

This was "Street Wars" - instead of a normal .5 tree they had a red/green stoplight mounted, so everyone's reaction times were terrible but was lots of fun overall.

This was a good shakedown to figure out that the tune's definitely not dialed in yet. Before/after it picked up about 6/10ths and 4mph but it's breaking up in 3rd and 4th, so hopefully I can get the tuner out with me next week to get it resolved. I think there's another 5mph and 2-4 10ths on the backside that's hiding in there.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Holy poo poo that launch against the Viper :aaaaa: Never stop posting about your ridiculous wagon.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Terrible Robot posted:

Holy poo poo that launch against the Viper :aaaaa: Never stop posting about your ridiculous wagon.

Haha thanks. That was on Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S-04s at 24psi, so drag radials would make a big difference too... I can feel the car slipping significantly off the line (but still turning 1.8xx 60' so not terrible) and then it also sidesteps on the 1-2 shift. I think I will probably see another 10th or 2 with DRs next year.

For what it's worth, I really like the tires. We drove the car 2500 miles back and forth from Virginia City, beat the hell out of them on the hillclimb, beat the hell out of them with 3 drag sessions now, and they're still quiet and ride well.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Tremek posted:

This was "Street Wars" - instead of a normal .5 tree they had a red/green stoplight mounted, so everyone's reaction times were terrible but was lots of fun overall.

They should have a set of green/yellow/red mounted perpendicular with the ridiculous colorado red-light-runner-enabling lag so it resembled real street light racing where you watch the cross street's light to get a jump on the other guy.

That's very cool and I'm also very jealous of your times. Makes me wonder why I waste time on these foreign cars with terrible turbo lag that translate into 3 second 60' times. I mean, my buddy's built Volvo runs a 113 mph trap speed but is well over a second slower overall. Sad.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Goddamnit:

Wounded wagon. :( Hit 'n run in the airport parking garage apparently witnessed by the dude that left me the note. I talked to him and he's willing to cooperate with the police in trying to find the other driver, which at this point I would like to see through because karma. The parking garages have cameras that take a photo of the license plate of every car that exits so if the Denver police take even a passing interest in this I have to think this wouldn't be the unsolved case of the century.

It's driveable though so I tried to make the best of it and go drag racing immediately after landing (the reason I drove it to the airport in the first place instead of the Civic) and of course didn't run the dial and lost in the first round. Drag raced in a suit though so I guess that counts for something on the bucket list.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
What a pain in the rear end. How's a Cadillac CTS on repair bills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tremek posted:

Goddamnit:

This is why we can't have nice things.

I would have a simultaneous heart attack and stroke.

• Locked thread