Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

dont go on cruises you retard

the internet connection is terrible! and big beefy dudes wanna beat me up in front of their hot girlfriends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

the internet connection is terrible! and big beefy dudes wanna beat me up in front of their hot girlfriends

please stop doxxing me

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

theflyingorc posted:

they're pretty ok, people are super weird about hating on them because of some weird vacation supremacy thing

i would theorize it's because cruises are like all-inclusive resorts but even moreso, where you're kept inside a carefully-maintained container and not exposed to the real world

but that's just a guess :shrug:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

prefect posted:

i would theorize it's because cruises are like all-inclusive resorts but even moreso, where you're kept inside a carefully-maintained container and not exposed to the real world

but that's just a guess :shrug:
david foster wallace went on a cruise and later killed him self

dont go on cruises

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

FMguru posted:

david foster wallace went on a cruise and later killed him self

dont go on cruises

the guy from the office?

also re: cruisechat, I'll accept "don't only go on cruises", see the world in a raw and unprepared way, but cruises own and I'm sorry you don't know how to enjoy yourselves.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

RZA Encryption posted:

also re: cruisechat, I'll accept "don't only go on cruises", see the world in a raw and unprepared way, but cruises own and I'm sorry you don't know how to enjoy yourselves.
i also agree with this. i have nothing against cruises but they're not really travel

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
what's the reason for people being turned down for blood donations if they were in Europe prior to 1996? is it some residual disease remnant they're afraid of or something

O- club :toot:

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

bucketmouse posted:

what's the reason for people being turned down for blood donations if they were in Europe prior to 1996? is it some residual disease remnant they're afraid of or something

people posted something about madcow so probably that

i'm surprised gay posers are having trouble donating blood considering you need to have gay sex to be excluded.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

:fishmech: posted:

nope

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bucketmouse posted:

no mad cow in the US and no way to test for prion diseases so they just exclude everyone from an area with mad cow disease before certain controls were put in

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

last i heard, the fda loosened feed restrictions to the point that america is just begging for a mad cow outbreak at this point

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's against international treaty to issue protectionist laws on imports of items as it's a violation of free trade. the year after this became a thing suddenly everyone has a pressing requirement to block import of whatever happened to keep their consistency's markets propped up on health grounds. there i just explained why mad cow is still a thing you're welcome

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

theflyingorc posted:

lol i assume you're making a joke, but in case anyone else is really stupid, don't do this. the list of people who are sure they definitely don't have HIV is "basically anybody not named Magic Johnson", which includes a really large number of people who totes have HIV
haha yeah all those filthy queers are just so promiscuous there's no way they could not have hiv. furthermore straight people cant get hiv and this is deffo not a control that was put in place as a first line defense back when noone knew anything about hiv except hemophiliacs were dying left and right from it

gb2 freep

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

A Pinball Wizard posted:

haha yeah all those filthy queers are just so promiscuous there's no way they could not have hiv. furthermore straight people cant get hiv and this is deffo not a control that was put in place as a first line defense back when noone knew anything about hiv except hemophiliacs were dying left and right from it

gb2 freep

*scans own post*
hmmm...it seems that nothing in my post was specifically about homosexuals, but rather that saying "i know im fine" is a really bad reason to lie on these things

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingorc posted:

lol i assume you're making a joke, but in case anyone else is really stupid, don't do this. the list of people who are sure they definitely don't have HIV is "basically anybody not named Magic Johnson", which includes a really large number of people who totes have HIV

by this logic no one should donate blood ever

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingorc posted:

*scans own post*
hmmm...it seems that nothing in my post was specifically about homosexuals, but rather that saying "i know im fine" is a really bad reason to lie on these things

the thing about gays never being allowed to donate solely comes from the aids stuff in the 80s when testing was barely possible and lots of people were still doing risky stuff.

if some dudes have been faithful to each other for like 15 years they're probably not gonna have aids just magically turn up finally, at least not more likely to do so than some sleazy dude who picks up truck stop tramps every weekend and is not barred

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Nintendo Kid posted:

by this logic no one should donate blood ever

no, you shouldn't lie to medical professionals, because "i know what's REALLY going down" is a bad rationale

if you feel that some of the questions are discriminatory, you can do work to try and change those questions, but dont be a dingus

Nintendo Kid posted:

at least not more likely to do so than some sleazy dude who picks up truck stop tramps every weekend and is not barred
there are questions that are trying to detect these people, as well

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 17, 2014

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

theflyingorc posted:

but dont be a dingus

pls take your own advice

Nintendo Kid posted:

if some dudes have been faithful to each other for like 15 years they're probably not gonna have aids just magically turn up finally, at least not more likely to do so than some sleazy dude who picks up truck stop tramps every weekend and is not barred

fishmech was right

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingorc posted:

no, you shouldn't lie to medical professionals, because "i know what's REALLY going down" is a bad rationale

if you feel that some of the questions are discriminatory, you can do work to try and change those questions, but dont be a dingus

there are questions that are trying to detect these people, as well

actually you should, about being gay, because you are aware if you're doing the other things that put you in a high risk category.

there is no moral imperative to comply with questions that only are outdatde, but the red cross is aware is outdated, wants to change, but can't because some old codgers at the department of health still refuse to approve it due to politics.

but having sex with random chicks not for money is not actually blocked by any of the questions.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

A Pinball Wizard posted:

gb2 freep

msm accounts for like 4x new hiv infections than all other sources combined

aids.gov posted:

Although MSM represent about 4% of the male population in the United States4, in 2010, MSM accounted for 78% of new HIV infections among males and 63% of all new infections2. MSM accounted for 52% of all people living with HIV infection in 2009, the most recent year these data are available1.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

A Pinball Wizard posted:

pls take your own advice
oh no, i am so sorry that i do not advocate lying to medical professionals

right now, there are people giving blood who have done actual high-risk things like sharing needles and thinking "im fine so its ok to do this", the attitude is really bad regardless of whether or not the qualification is valid

edit: ^^^that's actually higher than I expected. The whole point of all the questions is to act on populations, and homosexuals are an at-risk group. as long as you don't attach a moral component to it, it's exactly as unreasonable as "people who lived in england for too long". if you're a vegetarian who lived outside of affected areas you're basically 0 threat for mad cow, but they're going to pass on you because the point is to carve out risk factors quickly, not to make sure every person who can give blood is eligible

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 17, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingorc posted:

oh no, i am so sorry that i do not advocate lying to medical professionals

right now, there are people giving blood who have done actual high-risk things like sharing needles and thinking "im fine so its ok to do this", the attitude is really bad regardless of whether or not the qualification is valid

edit: ^^^that's actually higher than I expected. The whole point of all the questions is to act on populations, and homosexuals are an at-risk group. as long as you don't attach a moral component to it, it's exactly as unreasonable as "people who lived in england for too long". if you're a vegetarian who lived outside of affected areas you're basically 0 threat for mad cow, but they're going to pass on you because the point is to carve out risk factors quickly, not to make sure every person who can give blood is eligible

it is still regarded as unnecessary by medical science, dude, what don't you get.

it's solidly considered an out of date relic that doesn't belong in modern blood quality control.

the united states still bans people permanently for being a man who has had sex with a man anytime since 1977. that's just outdated. many other countries like canada and the uk have switched to deferring people for only 1 year after having sex, and seen no increase in aids blood getting in. mexico spain and poland all have no deferment for having sex with men and again do not experience any problems

why are you defending a known-outdated restriction

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Nintendo Kid posted:

the united states still bans people permanently for being a man

smash the matriachy

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

reminder that a straight person who has exchanged drugs or money for sex even once is ALSO just as barred as filthy queermos.

you are not smarter than the people who decide how to screen blood.

theflyingorc posted:

:words:

dont be a dingus

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
buttfucking, blood, and bitcoins

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Nintendo Kid posted:

why are you defending a known-outdated restriction
because, as I've stated multiple times, it doesn't have to be perfect before saying "it is more important to not lie when donating blood than it is for part of it to be unjust"

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

A Pinball Wizard posted:

gb2 freep

Last time I donated blood (well, platelets, for my uncle's surgery) the fifth question was "are you a homosexual?". Then the tenth one was "are you gay?". Then "have you had sex with a member of the same sex?" and so on. Seriously, this is not 1912.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

trucutru posted:

Last time I donated blood (well, platelets, for my uncle's surgery) the fifth question was "are you a homosexual?". Then the tenth one was "are you gay?". Then "have you had sex with a member of the same sex?" and so on. Seriously, this is not 1912.
maybe they'd believe you the first time if you didn't look so gay

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

trucutru posted:

fwiw as recently as last week (red cross in california usa) this isn't true. it asks you if you as a male have had sexual contact with another male even once, and that's it. it doesn't ask if you're gay, and doesn't ask if you're a homo.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
"have you ever paid for sex? have you ever paid for sex... in bitcoins?"

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

bit on yo dick

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dr. Honked posted:

who tried to set up a bitcoin prostitute service

one of the devs, right

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Same Great Paste posted:

fwiw as recently as last week (red cross in california usa) this isn't true. it asks you if you as a male have had sexual contact with another male even once, and that's it. it doesn't ask if you're gay, and doesn't ask if you're a homo.

"are you gay"
"are you a homosexual"
"are you a fruit"
"are you sure you're not a little light in the loafers"
"do you now or have you ever owned a liza minelli album"

somebody with actual comedy skill could make a funny skit out of that

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Dr. Honked posted:

he gave me chlamydia, but it is important that i can't do a chargeback

hahaha somewhere out there a bitcoiner:

1. thinks bitcoins are great for prostitutes because you can't use a credit card with hookers
2. has tried to pay for sex with bitcoins and spent forever explaining it to a prostitute

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

yeah homophobia is p hilarious

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

yeah homophobia is p hilarious

i'm sorry; i didn't mean to give offense. you have my apologies

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Same Great Paste posted:

reminder that a straight person who has exchanged drugs or money for sex even once is ALSO just as barred as filthy queermos.

you are not smarter than the people who decide how to screen blood.

the people who decide to screen blood have declared that at most a 1 year deferral is reasonable, and really it should be no deferral since the other questions on the surveys already determine risky behaviors well enough.

they're not allowed to go by this due to political shitlordry

theflyingorc posted:

because, as I've stated multiple times, it doesn't have to be perfect before saying "it is more important to not lie when donating blood than it is for part of it to be unjust"

it doesn't have to be perfect, it just doesn't have to be proven wrong by medical science and the ongoing experiences of multple countries. it has been found to be utterly useless.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Nintendo Kid posted:

the people who decide to screen blood have declared that at most a 1 year deferral is reasonable, and really it should be no deferral since the other questions on the surveys already determine risky behaviors well enough.

they're not allowed to go by this due to political shitlordry

it doesn't have to be perfect, it just doesn't have to be proven wrong by medical science and the ongoing experiences of multple countries. it has been found to be utterly useless.
OK, fine, you can have the point that it's pointless to ask in the first place

still don't lie on the stupid thing, or at the very least don't tell other people that you did so, because it undermines the whole process for very, very little gain.

congrats, youre winning at points that dont have any effect on my stated position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

congrats, youre winning at points that dont have any effect on my stated position

thats our :fishmech:

• Locked thread