Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Tusen Takk posted:

Has anyone else noticed that most of the greenies are the type of people who only went green because then they could say they're enlightened? Pretty much every enlightened player I've met has been a complete sperglord or one of those guys who thinks he's incredibly smart and above everyone else.

I know it doesn't apply to everyone, but it sure seems to be a theme here in Detroit. The greenies also have a huge and vibrant community here where as the resistance players are pretty casual and don't really group up to do anything.

I went green because the history of basically every faction pvp game is that the smaller side ends up with more interesting gameplay and better community, and Enlightened sounded very much like the less popular side. Then again, I installed the game without any real idea what it even was and it took me a while to realize that the movement of my guy was tied to my GPS.

I didn't realize, or even check, how much less popular green was at the time, but I probably would still have gone green anyway. Atlanta Enlightened community is one of the few remaining things about Atlanta I actually like.

edit: it also seems kind of contradictory to say greens are the sperglords yet have the huge and vibrant community, since nobody hates spergs more than other spergs?

Coldbird fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I went blue because the guy who got me to play is blue. It would've been a tossup otherwise. (Though I briefly considered going green just to annoy him)

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Tusen Takk posted:

Has anyone else noticed that most of the greenies are the type of people who only went green because then they could say they're enlightened? Pretty much every enlightened player I've met has been a complete sperglord or one of those guys who thinks he's incredibly smart and above everyone else.

I know it doesn't apply to everyone, but it sure seems to be a theme here in Detroit. The greenies also have a huge and vibrant community here where as the resistance players are pretty casual and don't really group up to do anything.

I went ENL for three reasons:

1) I like green.
2) At the time, Pittsburgh was almost entirely blue and I wanted quick level up.
3) I investigated both local communities, and the Enlightened one seemed friendlier and more active. Two years later, it still is.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I went green because I like the color green.

Plus, brilliant glowing neon green is the team color of the Seattle Sounders, my favorite soccer team.

Deep reasons, I know.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I mean who wouldn't want to look like that dude.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
I went green because out of the two 'teams' I preferred green, simple as that :)
When I joined, there were no portals within 10 miles of my house, so local players didn't matter, as there weren't any :) Theres loads of portals now, 42 of which are my submissions, so it's more fun to play these days, even if it now means my drive to work takes longer ... but I also get out and about on my pushbike in the evenings.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yeah, like I said it's probably not the case everywhere, but it sure seems to be here haha :3:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I went with what was the lesser faction in the area. I will say that choosing to go that route has pros and cons.

Pros:
You level up way faster
Develop a real "us vs. them" mentality
You get to know individual members of your faction better

Cons:
Just accept that anything you do will be destroyed within 15 minutes to an hour
The predominate side will bully the smaller side
Both sides are filled with aspie sperg lords

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Here it's pretty even, though there are more blue megafields than green now that I think of it.

spiny
May 20, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

Cons:
Just accept that anything you do will be destroyed within 15 minutes to an hour

^ that part makes me glad I was an 'early adopter' - I live i the sticks, in the UK, so when I started playing I submitted a few portals, that got accepted, I captured them, and it took 221 days before the blue team noticed :) so all this recent worry about Guardian portals has passed me by :D

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

spiny posted:

recent worry about Guardian portals

Ugh this. Both sides here have people that do literally nothing else than to curate spreadsheets on enemy GP's and hunt them. It his god drat impossible to get anything past 20 days and I've driven an embarrassing amount for a cell phone game to try and locate GP candidates.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

What is a guardian portal?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Tusen Takk posted:

If you own a portal long enough, you get a badge.

I was playing today and realized that even if I get followed around, it's still better than having nobody else playing. We don't stab each other, otherwise that wouldn't be fun.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

A portal, generally out of the way and left with only a res or two, captured and maintained with the hopes that it lasts long enough to score you a guardian badge without anyone on the other side noticing.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

Once you get to level 8, you have to have certain levels of achievements to level up further, so players are encouraged to try to get as many achievements as possible. Most of the achievements require a lot of work (destroy 10000 enemy resonators, for example), so the 'hold a portal for 90 days' one, the Guardian achievement, seems like an easy one. Just find an out-of-the-way portal, put down resonators, and hope no one comes by. That's a guardian portal.

The trick is that people will actively farm the intel map for data on which portals have been up a long time and go and destroy them, so you either need to be extremely sneaky, or put the portal in an extremely hard to get to place.

Or, one guy in my area basically hit level 8 months before everyone else and basically said publicly 'All I want is this one portal. You leave it alone, I won't knock down all your portals. You touch it, I flatten the town. Repeatedly'. And it worked. He got to 120 days.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 18, 2014

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I chose blue because my brother started playing a week or two before me, and I actually started so I could help him blow up stuff controlled by a green player who we happened to know from many years before.

Both sides have some really die-hard players around here, but I find our locale is devoid of the sperglords that others seem to encounter. It's pretty friendly, I'll stop and chat with opponents when I encounter them, and I think the communities reinforce that. I've dealt with some poorly behaved players in the past when they were newer, and I think on both sides we've managed to keep everything under control and get people to understand what is/isn't acceptable. More active communication really seems to help when players get hotheaded. It seems, as far as coordination, the other side was set back by one or two uncooperative/adversarial players.

Of course, in an adjacent region/cell, there have been a couple times recently where players harassed/threatened others to a criminal degree. Handle it as it comes, and discourage your teammates from going after them with a baseball bat. Defuse, don't destroy.

Tusen Takk posted:

A portal owned/controlled by a player without being neutralized for a long time. You earn guardian badges when you control that portal for 3/10/20/90/150 days.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

One of the obsessive enemy sperglords here keeps his work portal in peak farming mode - level 8 with mods so it can be hacked every two minutes for sixteen hacks before burning out. If he only knew how much ammo he gave me today milking that thing.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Setups like that are just begging to be flipped with a Jarvis / Ada. Makes 'em so mad.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It was considered. He'd probably have a conniption on the spot.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
My favorite tactic on portals like those is to blow up the mods with ultrastrikes (provided you can get in the center) - and just leave the resos alone

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Deceptive Thinker posted:

My favorite tactic on portals like those is to blow up the mods with ultrastrikes (provided you can get in the center) - and just leave the resos alone

Blow up the mods, flip it over, get 4 link amps on it (2 if you're solo), then flip it back.

You get bonus points if it's level 8.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

chemosh6969 posted:

Blow up the mods, flip it over, get 4 link amps on it (2 if you're solo), then flip it back.

You've really got to hate the dude a lot though because you'll have to stand around there for an hour so you don't waste the second flip card (and keep them from blowing it up in that intervening hour).

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

chemosh6969 posted:

The Australian Shuffle is the best way to gently caress with people, but these days it takes an hour. Back when the flip cards and link amps were new things you could do it in thirty seconds, rendering an entire farm into a lake of tears.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kitten smoothie posted:

You've really got to hate the dude a lot though because you'll have to stand around there for an hour so you don't waste the second flip card (and keep them from blowing it up in that intervening hour).

Instead of flipping portal right away just blow it up. Then fill mod slots with link amps and place all level 1 resonators as close to portal as possible. Once that is complete then you flip it to their team. If they upgrade any of the resonators they are just setting it up for you to easily destroy the portal with minimal xmp usage.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

DrPlump posted:

Instead of flipping portal right away just blow it up. Then fill mod slots with link amps and place all level 1 resonators as close to portal as possible. Once that is complete then you flip it to their team. If they upgrade any of the resonators they are just setting it up for you to easily destroy the portal with minimal xmp usage.

I love soft bricking people's pet portals.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DrPlump posted:

Around here that's known as "flowerpotting" for some reason. And it's always hilarious. :newlol:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

That reminds me of how my desk portal right now is a L8 portal with 3 VR shields and a link amp, placed by friendlies. Why the hell? It's in a farm of about 65 portals and people link all over the place, you're not going to be able to link 10 loving yards in any direction, let alone six states away.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

http://shouldideployalinkamp.com/

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

kitten smoothie posted:

That reminds me of how my desk portal right now is a L8 portal with 3 VR shields and a link amp, placed by friendlies. Why the hell? It's in a farm of about 65 portals and people link all over the place, you're not going to be able to link 10 loving yards in any direction, let alone six states away.
The reason is 500 AP

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

DrPlump posted:

Some low level player will see a lvl 1 portal and blow it up for points. That's the way I see it.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

kitten smoothie posted:

Where I'm at I just need to walk through town, farming as I go, and then I'm fine for time.

spiny
May 20, 2004

He Extends

spiny
May 20, 2004

( https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/118054689537110054363?hl=en-GB )

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I saw a real VRLA last night for the first time

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I saw a real VRLA last night for the first time

Did you try and kill it?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

chemosh6969 posted:

Did you try and kill it?

It wasn't on a portal - it was in a teammate's inventory he is saving for future megafields and/or shard game (inside a capsule so he didn't accidentally deploy it)

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
What exactly happens if I link my G+ account? Is it gonna auto post everything I do in the game?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Spectral Werewolf posted:

What exactly happens if I link my G+ account? Is it gonna auto post everything I do in the game?

No. It puts a link to your G+ profile in your Ingress profile so ingress weirdos can stalk you easier.

They were already doing that though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Maker Of Shoes posted:

No. It puts a link to your G+ profile in your Ingress profile so ingress weirdos can stalk you easier.

They were already doing that though.

It's one more column to add to that spreadsheet the other side was keeping, that already had your picture, home address, work address, and car tag number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spectral Werewolf posted:

People will randomly message you on Google+ to yell at you for attacking their portals.

• Locked thread