Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Jon Nödtveidt is rolling over in his grave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Morally Inept posted:

Just texted that activity book to my religious nut mother and she said she's going to invite her pastor over to her home to pray for me.

It's because you sent her a copy where you already filled in Cerebus's dream section, isn't it?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

It's because you sent her a copy where you already filled in Cerebus's dream section, isn't it?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

paging applewhite, please respond

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Choco1980 posted:

So, real question from a curious neutral party, what's the difference between these guys and the LaVey folk? Is it the part about magick? Because it sounds like it's the magick.

These guys are apparently gimmick trolls and the gimmick is "lol satanism". On the other hand Laveyan satanism has a discrete philosophy behind it. Something like self-deification. It's a religion for narcissists who also have a god complex.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
The Satanic Bible is definitely the most comprehensible bible I've read. It only contradicts itself twice.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Choco1980 posted:

So, real question from a curious neutral party, what's the difference between these guys and the LaVey folk? Is it the part about magick? Because it sounds like it's the magick.

From the article, the Satanic Temple regards Satan as a metaphor for skepticism and individualism. The LaVey folk believe Satan defeated the dragon Tiamat to protect mankind.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

dj_clawson posted:

The Satanic Bible is definitely the most comprehensible bible I've read. It only contradicts itself twice.

at least it's a quick read

Defiance Industries posted:

From the article, the Satanic Temple regards Satan as a metaphor for skepticism and individualism. The LaVey folk believe Satan defeated the dragon Tiamat to protect mankind.

Yeah, this satanic temple is basically just scientific secular humanism for activist trolls

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I believe Satan is that boss dragon from that marine commercial. He's dead now. Stupid marines.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

gggiiimmmppp posted:

at least it's a quick read

Yeah, this satanic temple is basically just scientific secular humanism for activist trolls

No way! LaVey spent a whole paragraph explaining how Satanists were not secular humanists in his bible, though I think it comes down to secular humanists not being able to kill white wizards with an orgasm, whatever the hell that means.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

dj_clawson posted:

No way! LaVey spent a whole paragraph explaining how Satanists were not secular humanists in his bible, though I think it comes down to secular humanists not being able to kill white wizards with an orgasm, whatever the hell that means.

These Satanists have nothing to do with LaVey.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

dj_clawson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XRGgULdPrI

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Kanthulhu posted:

These Satanists have nothing to do with LaVey.

Then they can put out their own bible.

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

Choco1980 posted:

LaVey Satanists are a Satan-themed weirdo objectivist religion. These guys are a Satan-themed "separation of church and state" protest group. Their gimmick is enforcing the Constitution by using Christian missteps against them. You're a town in Arkansas and you put a big-rear end Jesus statue in front of a public school or a public library or something? These guys will show up with an equally big statue of the Devil. It's all religion, right? Can't give governmental approval to one religion while banning another. It's basically the Flying Spaghetti Monster people except it really upsets fundamentalist Christians instead of just confusing them.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

the prospect of fundies thinking they are literal goat-sacrificing satan worshippers makes them a little funnier than spaghetti monster people in my opinion

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Companion Cube posted:

You're a town in Arkansas and you put a big-rear end Jesus statue in front of a public school or a public library or something? These guys will show up with an equally big statue of the Devil.

The Satanists are doing god's work.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

quote:

As I looked at the living creatures, I saw a wheel on the ground beside each creature with its four faces. This was the appearance and structure of the wheels: They sparkled like topaz, and all four looked alike. Each appeared to be made like a wheel intersecting a wheel. As they moved, they would go in any one of the four directions the creatures faced; the wheels did not change direction as the creatures went. Their rims were high and awesome, and all four rims were full of eyes all around.

This guy got ahold of some salvia somehow

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Does that answer sheet say that Audi means Satan?

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

IRQ posted:

Does that answer sheet say that Audi means Satan?

my knowledge of the cars is that it's the latin command form of "to listen"

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

lonesomedwarf posted:

satanists are christiasts iyrtai if you really think about it

im hecka down w/ this new abbrv

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Talas posted:

Now the godless atheists won't be able to keep religion out of school!... oh wait.

Here's the full book, no photoshop needed:

http://thesatanictemple.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Activity_Book.pdf

Owns

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

genesplicer posted:

Some more fun is coming out of this. In Orange County, Florida, the school district decided to allow christian groups to pass out religious materials. They originally wanted to prohibit other groups from distributing materials, but that got shot down by a judge who pointed out that it would be a pretty clear and damning violation of the First Amendment to do so. So the district relented and decided to allow other religious groups to pass out stuff, I guess assuming that none of them were close by or willing to take the time to pass out stuff.

The Satanic Temple made this book for this very purpose. Now all the kids in Orange County, Florida will be getting their very own Satanic Coloring book. I wonder what the parents will do.

Link to one story.

Triple owns hahahah

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hail Satan

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
lol satanism is for freaks n geeks faggots everybody whos cool is into bahai

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

a hole-y ghost posted:

the cherub w the "ever-turning sword" in the Garden of Eden too what was up w that

Sounds like that angel had a chainsaw.

Satanism is the next logical step for militant atheists. Don't be afraid. Embrace your assholery, assholes! :unsmith:

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Nonsense posted:

Hail Satan

Praise Him

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Sounds like that angel had a chainsaw.

Satanism is the next logical step for militant atheists. Don't be afraid. Embrace your assholery, assholes! :unsmith:

I don't see how the Satanists are being more assholes than the Christians. I mean, the Christians have been distributing their fake propaganda poo poo to innocent children for centuries now.

naem
May 29, 2011

As a christiast I am highly onfenadt

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Kanthulhu posted:

I don't see how the Satanists are being more assholes than the Christians. I mean, the Christians have been distributing their fake propaganda poo poo to innocent children for centuries now.

It is the next, logical, step. After all, the way to win an ideological battle is to be a bigger rear end in a top hat than your opponent, especially if you can be passive-aggressive about it.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

It is the next, logical, step. After all, the way to win an ideological battle is to be a bigger rear end in a top hat than your opponent, especially if you can be passive-aggressive about it.

lol yeah rationally debating that these people shouldn't push their religion in schools works so well

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

LifeSizePotato posted:

my knowledge of the cars is that it's the latin command form of "to listen"

That's not as funny.

Hail satan anyway I guess.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

i agree, the best way to establish your generalized branch of religion is by regular aggression and bloodshed. you would think satanists of all people would "get" the idea of killing in the name of your supernatural lord, but i guess they're gonna keep pussing out and make funny jokes instead

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)

The whole idea is to show the christians how annoying they are to others. If they taste their own poison maybe they will stop pushing their stupidity around so others stop doing the same to them.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
It's more of an attempt to showcase the legal rights afforded to religions and point out that America, in some places at least, has a hard time keeping church and state separate. The guy who runs the church did some interview where he bitched about reddit-style atheism, and said he's down with allowing any wacky beliefs, but that they're really more interested in protesting intolerance and oppression. He also talked about rubbing his nut sack on the grave of Fred Phelps' mother, but seemed like a pretty smart and accepting guy.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Nonsense posted:

Hail Satan

smh

Satan, Make it Happen

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kanthulhu posted:

The whole idea is to show the christians how annoying they are to others. If they taste their own poison maybe they will stop pushing their stupidity around so others stop doing the same to them.

Because that worked so well for Muslim Extremists sects, the Westboro Baptist Church, the Anabaptists in Wittenberg, etc.

I'm being a dick, but you see my point.

naem
May 29, 2011

Everyones a stinky poo butt brain

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
People saying "These guys have nothing to with the LaVey guys" need to check their facts.

Here is a good place to start: http://www.vice.com/read/unmasking-lucien-greaves-aka-doug-mesner-leader-of-the-satanic-temple

tldr they are based on the same proto-nazi source material, but Greaves filtered out even more of it to make it palatable for secular humanists.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Helical Nightmares posted:

Because that worked so well for Muslim Extremists sects, the Westboro Baptist Church, the Anabaptists in Wittenberg, etc.

I'm being a dick, but you see my point.

Satire is a waste of effort if your audience is collies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fuderyuu posted:

As I looked at the living creatures, I saw a wheel on the ground beside each creature with its four faces. This was the appearance and structure of the wheels: They sparkled like topaz, and all four looked alike. Each appeared to be made like a wheel intersecting a wheel. As they moved, they would go in any one of the four directions the creatures faced; the wheels did not change direction as the creatures went. Their rims were high and awesome, and all four rims were full of eyes all around.

Okay, imagine you're an angelic being who lives in heaven. You've spent the last infinite amount of years singing various hymns and praises, and know just about nothing else. Then you get a mission to go down to Earth. What do you do? What do humans have, what do they like? Well, they mostly have faces, eyes, limbs, wings, that sort of thing. They also like material things like wheels, fire, swords, gems, livestock and metals. So if you make those part of your appearance, they will pay more attention and your mission will be a success.

• Locked thread