Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...

I Greyhound posted:

The closeup shots are the ones that made my jaw drop. This is a loving comet nucleus in glorious high resolution. (Click for large)

thats skyrim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

What do you mean by artificial though?

Also those pictures are baller as gently caress.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

redshirt posted:

Fun fact! It's now believed that the water on Earth was delivered by comets. Lots of comets.
You're drinking comet juice, brah.

really? how do they figure on that

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TontoCorazon posted:

What do you mean by artificial though?

Also those pictures are baller as gently caress.
As in not a moon or other orbiting body

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Place : Detroit
Date : 4031 A.D.
we drink dinosaur piss though, is cool, we are a scat society

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

mookface posted:

As in not a moon or other orbiting body

I just realized artificial satellite as in the comet not the thing taking the pictures.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?

TontoCorazon posted:

I just realized artificial satellite as in the comet not the thing taking the pictures.

Comets aren't artificial though...are we both confused?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

redshirt posted:

Fun fact! It's now believed that the water on Earth was delivered by comets. Lots of comets.

Everytime you take a regular shower, you're actually taking a golden shower from millions of comets and also every single organism that has ever lived on this planet.

This includes your dead relatives. All of them. Surrounding you, pissing on you while dinosaurs, that gerbil you had in elementary school, Edgar Allen Poe and others all wait in line, leering at your pasty naked form, bladders strained to bursting.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

OH is this that thing? Thought the article said 2015.

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Cthulu Carl posted:

Everytime you take a regular shower, you're actually taking a golden shower from millions of comets and also every single organism that has ever lived on this planet.

This includes your dead relatives. All of them. Surrounding you, pissing on you while dinosaurs, that gerbil you had in elementary school, Edgar Allen Poe and others all wait in line, leering at your pasty naked form, bladders strained to bursting.

https://www.google.com/#q=formaldehyde+banned&spell=1

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

redshirt posted:

IIRC that's just one possibility. Would've taken a shitload of comets.

Also, there are pockets of water under the Earth's crust. For reals. :eng101:

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 18, 2014

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

redshirt posted:

mookface posted:

really? how do they figure on that

Our solar system is surrounded by a spherical shell of ice particles about one light year out called the Oort cloud, these particles coalesce into comets, and those comets move into the inner system and get caught up in orbits until they impact another body.

A few years ago they spotted a star similar to our own sun in the early formation stages, it is in a phase where it shoots beams of superheated water out each of it's poles, which explains where the Oort cloud comes from and also suggests that lots and lots of stars have water in their solar system.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

monkey posted:

Our solar system is surrounded by a spherical shell of ice particles about one light year out called the Oort cloud, these particles coalesce into comets, and those comets move into the inner system and get caught up in orbits until they impact another body.

A few years ago they spotted a star similar to our own sun in the early formation stages, it is in a phase where it shoots beams of superheated water out each of it's poles, which explains where the Oort cloud comes from and also suggests that lots and lots of stars have water in their solar system.

thats cool we're not special at all

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
we really aren't.

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

put some salt and im eat it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Doc Block posted:

IIRC that's just one possibility. Would've taken a shitload of comets.

Also, there are pockets of water under the Earth's crust. For reals. :eng101:

Hmm. Interesting. Well, no doubt comets brought a great deal if not not the vast majority.

Given Earth was molten to the core during dormation - water boils away.

And then molten again when there was the planetary impact which created the Moon.

We're living on Earth 2.0, by the way, as the original Earth was burned in that impact.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

I Greyhound posted:

The closeup shots are the ones that made my jaw drop. This is a loving comet nucleus in glorious high resolution. (Click for large)

I can see a dead sherpa.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

What loving morons. They circle around poo poo like 20 times instead of going right there. They could have gotten to the comet in like 1 year if they just flew straight to it. Hey I am going to the store so I will pass by my house 3 times on the way...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

not the space toilet

Hayburner
Jan 29, 2005

hi

dangit thats neat as heck

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
What's weird and creepy about these is that usually when you think space, you think all black with stars and swirly galaxies and poo poo everywhere. This is just pitch black, lit from one side, like something out of Eraserhead. This is space, and it's empty as gently caress.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

redshirt posted:

but where did that comet water come from? the answer from science is that it was other earthes hitting comets imparitng their wter onto them and who created those earths but god himself in his wetness

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Orkin Mang posted:

but where did that comet water come from? the answer from science is that it was other earthes hitting comets imparitng their wter onto them and who created those earths but god himself in his wetness

Hydrogen having a threesome with Oxygen.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
umm ie the trinity!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Wild T posted:

I can see a dead sherpa.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Wild T posted:

What's weird and creepy about these is that usually when you think space, you think all black with stars and swirly galaxies and poo poo everywhere. This is just pitch black, lit from one side, like something out of Eraserhead. This is space, and it's empty as gently caress.

no that just proves this is a science hoax
if I can look up at night and see stars I should be able to se a shitload of stars from outer space, where it's always nighttime x2. There fore the pics are fake gently caress u op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
how do we know the comet isnt whats artificial and the satellite is what belongs up there nobody here has been to space so it's not like we know

Nog
May 15, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

sorry but the best space mission ever was sending a bunch of horny geckos to have a zero-g orgy

we can only hope that this was a prelude to a similar (wo)manned mission

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ripped0ff posted:

we can only hope that this was a prelude to a similar (wo)manned mission

it was launched by russia so load up an oligarch with enough vodka and maybe

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Orkin Mang posted:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/06/110613-space-science-star-water-bullets-kristensen/

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-06/herschel-spots-young-star-spewing-water-jets-interstellar-space

ColdReaches posted:

In the time it takes a star to produce an iron isotope, 1/1400000000000000 seconds later, the star core begins to collapse. 1/139999999999999 second after that the stars supernovas.

Iron kills stars. gently caress iron.

Isn't it cool that the very element that kills stars is responsible for humanity's existence through our hemoglobin, and that the oxygen we breathe and water we drink came from the same stars that preceded and contributed to the formation of our own Sun? We are star children, in a very real and quite literal sense.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i didn't come from no star i came from a monkey

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
oh hey a lovely pic of a rock how impressive lol

gently caress this gay earth, the future is so disappointing. I was supposed to gently caress three tittied aliens on mars by now gently caress

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

hoverboards are coming out next year marty mcfly just you wait

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Splatmaster posted:

Isn't it cool that the very element that kills stars is responsible for humanity's existence through our hemoglobin?

That's why the sun hates us and is trying to kill us off with global warming

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
global warming sucks but we can somewhat prepare for it. if we get hit by a big enough solar storm we're looking at trillions of dollars in repairs for all the electrical systems that get fried and it's like an asteroid impact in that it's only an amount of time before we're in the crosshairs of a big one

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Robo Reagan posted:

global warming sucks but we can somewhat prepare for it. if we get hit by a big enough solar storm we're looking at trillions of dollars in repairs for all the electrical systems that get fried and it's like an asteroid impact in that it's only an amount of time before we're in the crosshairs of a big one

At the rate the wealthy are hoarding up all the money in the world, civilization will have crumbled to dust due to lack of funding long before a solar storm hits us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

redshirt posted:

this has now been refuted by the NSF

• Locked thread