Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SMH posted:

Police charged Mr Azari and detained 14 others; nine have been released and two women were issued with court attendance notices.

On Thursday night, a 24-year-old Merrylands man was charged with possessing ammunition without a licence, and unauthorised possession of a prohibited weapon. He was released on bail, and is due back in court on September 24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They've charged more since then, I think?

Two now I believe.

Somewhat related:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-18/clarke-and-dawe-mr-desmond-traction-fear/5753062

e. Christ, Lambie is going all anti burqa. Who would have thought?

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

loving hell Fairfax, what is wrong with you?
This isn't a siege. It's not even an attempted siege. It's a thwarted conspiracy to attempt a siege. Or rather, a conspiracy to commit murder with the intent of scaring the poo poo out of people. Anything beyond that is just gloss - weapons charges or whatever. At its heart this was about murdering someone.

I did a search through the SMH for "murder". There's a guy in Brisbane who has been arrested and charged with attempted murder after another man fell 30m off a balcony last Sunday. A woman in Oberon has been charged with murder after the death of a 3-year old boy(!). A court being told that a man accused of his mistress' murder is not a violent person. One with the headline "Burnt torso: Police search for body parts" which I am not reading (it's somewhere in Queensland). And linked from the bottom of one of these articles was a story from a bit over a week ago, about a guy who shot his wife and three children then turned the gun on himself somewhere out near Wagga Wagga. This reached the limit of my tolerance for news about awful things.

I could tally up the body count but I'm not going to. Anyway, here we have actual deaths, and nothing resembling this sort of hysteria. The last one even meets the criteria of "it could happen to someone around you without warning, you might never know it before it happened, maybe we should be afraid everywhere" that terrorists strive for. And like terrorism it's not a problem that can be totally solved, but it can be managed, and managed a hell of a lot better than we are.

I'd call it a joke but this poo poo is the opposite of funny.

Support is available for anyone who may be distressed by calling Lifeline 131 114, Mensline 1300 789 978, Kids Helpline 1800 551 80

T-1000 fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 19, 2014

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Tasmanian Greens conference this weekend in Launnie. Come and holla, if you can put up with Launceston being Launceston.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Palmersaurus posted:

People will adapt; someone poo'd on the Sutherland train just this Tuesday.

Terrorism countermeasures

:itwaspoo:

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Zenithe posted:

Two now I believe.

Somewhat related:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-18/clarke-and-dawe-mr-desmond-traction-fear/5753062

e. Christ, Lambie is going all anti burqa. Who would have thought?

"WE DON'T WANT WOMEN TO BE FORCED TO WEAR A BURQA, THEREFORE WILL FORCE WOMEN NOT TO WEAR A BURQA, EVER. WE'RE A FREE COUNTRY."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Christ Lambie if you'd just stick with kicking in the army's poo poo, you'll be solid.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Systematic posted:

"WE DON'T WANT WOMEN TO BE FORCED TO WEAR A BURQA, THEREFORE WILL FORCE WOMEN NOT TO WEAR A BURQA, EVER. WE'RE A FREE COUNTRY."
You say that sarcastically, but that was literally one of the arguments used in France when they banned face coverings, and the EU upheld the law. In Turkey you can't even wear a headscarf that leaves your face uncovered if you work in the public service or as a journalist, lawyer, teacher or doctor.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

T-1000 posted:

You say that sarcastically, but that was literally one of the arguments used in France when they banned face coverings, and the EU upheld the law. In Turkey you can't even wear a headscarf that leaves your face uncovered if you work in the public service or as a journalist, lawyer, teacher or doctor.

Because we're a free country, only if you're white/male/christian (in western nations)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Who knew that demonizing Muslims would have repercussions?!

quote:

Vandals have spray painted the word “evil” across a far north Queensland mosque – an act the local mayor describes as deeply saddening.

Worshippers arrived at the mosque in Mareeba, inland from Cairns, on Friday morning to find their place of worship defaced with the yellow paint.

The town’s mayor, Tom Gilmore, said the mosque had been part of the community since the 1950s.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Vandals plural.

So does that mean we can charge them both and say that Cairns is under siege?

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

T-1000 posted:

Turkey isn't really in the same boat as us or France or whoever. The Turkish stuff stems from Ataturk demolishing the Ottoman Sultanate and setting up a new state in the rubble fixated on modernisation/Westernisation. Taking down the previous ruling elites meant taking the social system with it, a big part of which was certain type of religious clothing to denote rank and status. New social system, new state, get rid of the old traditions. And Ataturk really wanted to undermine Islam and make people more reliant of the state than on their religion, to keep the state stable until he established it properly.

Plus Erdoğan has been reforming stuff relating to religious items and clothing anyway.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
Vandalizing mosques, there's a tactic that won't radicalize more Islamic people, ever...

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Who knew that demonizing Muslims would have repercussions?!

quote:

Australian Muslims who protested against allegedly brutal tactics used by police in Thursday's counter-terrorism raids did not represent their faith and should take a "long, hard look" at themselves, Prime Minister Tony Abbott says.

Speaking in Sydney on Friday, Mr Abbott said the police operation was "a show of strength it needed to be a demonstration that we will respond with strength to any threat to our way of life and to our national security".

About 400 people attended a protest in Lakemba on Thursday night, expressing concern that the police raids were heavy-handed, and terrorised women and children.

Mr Abbott said "only about 100 people" attended the rally, which was "much smaller than had been expected".

"Sure, they were noisy and they were emphatic, but they were utterly unrepresentative of Australian Muslims," he said.

"The vast majority of people in this country, regardless of their faith, are first-class Australians. They came here because they wanted to join our team. They wanted to join us, not to change us."

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Robodog posted:

Turkey isn't really in the same boat as us or France or whoever. The Turkish stuff stems from Ataturk demolishing the Ottoman Sultanate and setting up a new state in the rubble fixated on modernisation/Westernisation. Taking down the previous ruling elites meant taking the social system with it, a big part of which was certain type of religious clothing to denote rank and status. New social system, new state, get rid of the old traditions. And Ataturk really wanted to undermine Islam and make people more reliant of the state than on their religion, to keep the state stable until he established it properly.

Plus Erdoğan has been reforming stuff relating to religious items and clothing anyway.
Turkey's different, yes. My point was more that there's precedent, even fairly extreme precedent, and it's not a totally crazy idea that could never be done in any semi-serious country.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are you implying that Australia is in any way even a semi-serious country? :v:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Have you a source for this?
Before I forget: I will do a more thorough search before I get home, but it's likely that I was confusing the Australian terror level with the US terror level which was raised around the same time, my bad. There are too many terrorscopes for me to keep track of.

SynthOrange posted:

Well, at least we're not at, say, Gulf states levels of religious oppression.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The homeless people and aboriginies the cops pick on at Fortitude Valley can stay, the idiots that think it's acceptable to grab girls' asses as they walk by can happily be blown up as far as I'm concerned.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Tony Abbott, minister for women, and expert in Islam, despite being raised a Catholic.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Tonight I hope QUT voted out the Young Liberals for spending Guild funds on throwing a boat party for themselves and leaving the clubs to rot.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

What a dickhead.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Seemlar posted:

Australian Muslims who protested against allegedly brutal tactics used by police in Thursday's counter-terrorism raids did not represent their faith and should take a "long, hard look" at themselves, Prime Minister Tony Abbott says.

Speaking in Sydney on Friday, Mr Abbott said the police operation was "a show of strength it needed to be a demonstration that we will respond with strength to any threat to our way of life and to our national security".

About 400 people attended a protest in Lakemba on Thursday night, expressing concern that the police raids were heavy-handed, and terrorised women and children.

Mr Abbott said "only about 100 people" attended the rally, which was "much smaller than had been expected".

"Sure, they were noisy and they were emphatic, but they were utterly unrepresentative of Australian Muslims," he said.

"The vast majority of people in this country, regardless of their faith, are first-class Australians. They came here because they wanted to join our team. They wanted to join us, not to change us."

"HERE COMES THE BOOT YOU SCUM"

Wow. I'm amazed how fast Abbott was able to turn the place into a police state when his polls dipped.
Nuke Australia.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Splode posted:

Nuke Australia.

Has already happened, multiple 21 times.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

T-1000 posted:

Before I forget: I will do a more thorough search before I get home, but it's likely that I was confusing the Australian terror level with the US terror level which was raised around the same time, my bad. There are too many terrorscopes for me to keep track of.
drat. I was hoping there was some really shitily bad journalism behind this (And this is from an habitual reader of the Arsetralian).

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Systematic posted:

Vandalizing mosques, there's a tactic that won't radicalize more Islamic people, ever...

To be fair thats probably exactly what the fash want. Just as the West invading Iraq is a recruiting coup for IS, some sort of terror attack or retribution for some petty vandalism would play right into the hands of the conservatives.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

loving hell Tony drop the "team" thing it's not going to happen

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It's actually pretty amusing that, whether Labor or Liberal, you can always immediately spot the focus-group tested phrase they've been told to keep dropping into their speeches. Sticks out like a sore thumb. Which is more amusing when you think about how many man-hours a PR team spent shaping and polishing it to try to ease it into the lexicon.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

freebooter posted:

It's actually pretty amusing that, whether Labor or Liberal, you can always immediately spot the focus-group tested phrase they've been told to keep dropping into their speeches. Sticks out like a sore thumb. Which is more amusing when you think about how many man-hours a PR team spent shaping and polishing it to try to ease it into the lexicon.

Death cult.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

Tonight I hope QUT voted out the Young Liberals for spending Guild funds on throwing a boat party for themselves and leaving the clubs to rot.

Knowing QUT, lol no.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

Knowing QUT, lol no.

I mean at QUT it's Epic vs Spark which is Lib vs Lab respectively. It's loving boring but The Liberals have been in forever and pretty much throw themselves and other Liberal and Christian clubs parties all the time using QUT funds.

I heard Griffith is a little more interesting because it's usually Liberal vs Labor Right vs Labor Left + SALT Unity ticket.

EDIT: I have no tattoos or piercings, I am probably more attractive than you, Avatar Goon.

Anidav fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Sep 19, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anidav you'll never get a job looking like that.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Wow.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I think this is a marginal step up from the previous one, though.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

This is what I get for sharing my life with you people.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The Age front page is pretty funny

TERROR AUSTRALIS
Beheading Plot Foiled
800 Police In Raids
16 Locations in Two Cities
2 Charged

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Someone put Tone's head on this plz

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Gough Suppressant posted:

The Age front page is pretty funny

TERROR AUSTRALIS
Beheading Plot Foiled
800 Police In Raids
16 Locations in Two Cities
2 Charged

Aren't they holding x amount without charge and refusing to say who or how many?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Searching "unsuccessful" in my inbox brings 42 results from the past week.

EDIT:Wait nevermind, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmVy0_DLsPM this cheers me up.

Anidav fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Nibbles! posted:

Aren't they holding x amount without charge and refusing to say who or how many?

X is between 2 and 4.

SMH posted:

Counter-terrorism authorities have used for the first time extraordinary, Howard-era powers to hold without charge three suspects arrested in Thursday's terror raids.

In a statement late on Friday, Australian Federal Police revealed they had used preventative detention orders to hold the three men without charge for about 36 hours before releasing them on Friday afternoon.

Preventative detention orders can be used only "where there is a threat of an imminent terrorist attack", suggesting authorities were concerned the men would go ahead with an attack if they were released earlier.

The prevention orders were granted by the Supreme Court of NSW on Wednesday before the raids.

As the nation continued to come to grips with allegations of an Islamic State plot to murder Australians on camera, Prime Minister Tony Abbott confirmed that an attack was expected "within days" had authorities not moved when they did.

The Prime Minister said police "expect further charges to be laid against other individuals" from among the 15 people arrested in Sydney in the dawn raids on Thursday.

Of those, an unknown number, believed to be between two and four, were still being held on Friday – suggesting police are using special terrorism powers passed after the 2005 London bombings.

• Locked thread