Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Bayley's super adorable and will wreck your poo poo it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I couldn't finish watching this weeks RAW, and same with last weeks. I am not actively hating it or anything, it is just becoming hard to watch - which really sucks

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
They have to have Bayley wrestle in those tights because if she wore trunks no one would be able to do anything BUT get behind her. [/king]

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
seriously though she's got a gimmick that it would be creepy to sexualize. bayley is girl john cena.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Bayley is fun to watch, a good wrestler and her entrance at Takeover 2 was loving amazing. Her gimmick's a little bit out there but she only needs 15 seconds here and there to be a dopey fangirl and she might actually start to get over organically. And then when she comes out for her first match with the streamers and inflatable dancing tube men people are gonna notice because that's so different that it demands attention.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Bayley is cute

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
Bayley looks perma-stoned. I don't have any feelings about her being attractive or unattractive but she looks constantly high in a James Franco way and it irritates me.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Bayley's more attractive than Eva Marie in my opinion, and she has a much better gimmick and also can wrestle.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It's nice that there's a woman wrestler who isn't pigeonholed into either being T&A or a Monster. Have there been that many in the WWE before now?

Either way I really like Bayley; her match with Charlotte was just great.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
was watching the womens match on NXT and you can seriously hear them calling every single move wtf.

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
According to Austin's last podcast the ring mics are so sensitive these days that it's basically unavoidable unless wrestlers whisper everything.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I still never hear anything like that when I'm watching. Is this down to people wearing headphones or something?

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Jerusalem posted:

I still never hear anything like that when I'm watching. Is this down to people wearing headphones or something?

I can't hear exactly what they're saying, but it's easy to tell when they're doing it, I can hear the speech. Just on tv.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Can't say I ever hear anything more than maybe once every 2-3 shows, either. I rewatched Takeover 2 and didn't notice a thing.

St Evan Echoes posted:

It's nice that there's a woman wrestler who isn't pigeonholed into either being T&A or a Monster. Have there been that many in the WWE before now?
Alundra Blayze. Beth, Victoria and Jazz all got sorta halfway there.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

pressedbunny posted:

Alundra Blayze. Beth, Victoria and Jazz all got sorta halfway there.
Thanks - I also remembered that Molly Holly existed about a minute after posting.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Grant DaNasty posted:

I will never not be disturbed by Meltzer's lack of earlobes.

Optimist with doubt posted:

What's wrong with connected earlobes? Wanna fight about it?

TheJoker138 posted:

I also have connected earlobes. Runs on my moms side of the family.

Me too.

Connected earlobe gang is gonna kick your rear end.

Angular Landbury posted:

Bayley looks perma-stoned. I don't have any feelings about her being attractive or unattractive but she looks constantly high in a James Franco way and it irritates me.

James Franco is perma-stoned. Dean Ambrose looks that way in most of his interviews too.

sleepingbuddha fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 19, 2014

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

achillesforever6 posted:

Did they really wreck poo poo, all I remember is the two of them looking like chumps to Kelly Kelly all the time losing rollup after rollup

Maybe I am just remembering them differently. I thought one of them won the Divas Title at the time they were together? I remember the bullshit losses to Kelly Kelly including the one in Beth's hometown where the entire crowd was itching to see her take the title.

I also remember Nattie having a really cool jacket that looked pretty badass.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
I think WWE could really use a Diva that is not considered classically beautiful. There is a big movement right now about people accepting themselves as they are, faults in all. Every time WWE does a storyline where a female heel makes fun of a face's appearance, its really hard to buy because you look at the face once and you left thinking huh? Hell the last time they did it was with Laycool calling Mickie James fat. Very few are going to identify with that. If they had a diva who wasn't up to beauty standards, and wrecked people's poo poo, lots of women would identify with that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

According to Austin's last podcast the ring mics are so sensitive these days that it's basically unavoidable unless wrestlers whisper everything.
It's not really excusable in a pre-taped show unless they're not editing at all.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Sionistic posted:

I think WWE could really use a Diva that is not considered classically beautiful. There is a big movement right now about people accepting themselves as they are, faults in all. Every time WWE does a storyline where a female heel makes fun of a face's appearance, its really hard to buy because you look at the face once and you left thinking huh? Hell the last time they did it was with Laycool calling Mickie James fat. Very few are going to identify with that. If they had a diva who wasn't up to beauty standards, and wrecked people's poo poo, lots of women would identify with that.

This would be really nice and I love the idea- but being WWE it'll never happen (at least while Vince and Dunn are around). :geno:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I'm so glad there's someone else that never notices. Whenever I see a match I've seen on Botchamania or something it always takes me by surprise.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Watching Bayley give out headbands to little girls at ringside, I really don't understand why the target audience of the women's division isn't 10 year old girls instead of... Well, I actually don't know who they're currently trying to appeal to.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

P-Mack posted:

Watching Bayley give out headbands to little girls at ringside, I really don't understand why the target audience of the women's division isn't 10 year old girls instead of... Well, I actually don't know who they're currently trying to appeal to.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

so the divas division is just kevin dunn's jack off material?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

And Vince's.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

P-Mack posted:

Alexa Bliss definitely appeals to that market, and I still see AJ retweeting TONS of girls wearing her gear, so I'm sure they're at least aware of if not outright marketing to that demographic these days. Sisters for life.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Johanns Molemann posted:

so the divas division is just kevin dunn's jack off material?

Also lots of men

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
AJ, Paige and Nattie all seem to have fairly strong female followings. No reason any of the current NXT Divas couldn't as well, assuming they're handled right when they're brought up. (Ha!)

You'd think WWE would have been pushing for the younger female audience more, given how big a deal it was with Lita in her heyday. There's got to be a strong, worthwhile market there.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Let's not get it twisted, we're a far cry from HLA and the days of Kelly Kelly the Exhibitionist Stripper. Probably the most risque gimmick they have is Nattie being unable to hold her bladder/farts.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Do merch figures ever go public? I want to know how much merch the individual divas actually move. Like, Paige and AJ in particular. The next thing I would want, but will never get, would be demographics of the merch sold. Paige and AJ seem like fairly universal, can appeal to most audience characters. They are strong women, appealing to them. They are attractive, appealing to men. They are good wrestlers, appealing to the iwc.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Pushing Divas so more girls like wrestling is a risky thing though. Imagine all the boys during lunch break realizing that "girls like WWE". Merchandise sells would drop so quickly.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Imagine all the boys during lunch break realizing that "girls like WWE". Merchandise sells would drop so quickly.

What are you talking about? Boys wouldn't like WWE because girls like it? What century is this?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Sometimes we do get the top merchandise sellers from Meltzer. None of the Divas have been on the list IIRC.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

flashy_mcflash posted:

What are you talking about? Boys wouldn't like WWE because girls like it? What century is this?

The 21st, and it is supremely droll that you seem shocked by the notion that boys might dislike something because girls like it. Children are idiots, hth.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I think AJ was in the top 5 or top 10 merch shifters for a while. Nowhere near Cena/Punk/DB, but I've definitely seen her mentioned in the merch run-down at some point.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

The 21st, and it is supremely droll that you seem shocked by the notion that boys might dislike something because girls like it. Children are idiots, hth.

Children are getting each other pregnant at 12, I'm sure they'd love to have Aj/Paige on while they do it. In the Attitude Era girls went buck for the Hardys and WWE did pretty well IIRC.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Well I certainly don't sense AJ as a big mover right now when all she does is skip around the ring to the sounds of crickets from the audience.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

sleepingbuddha posted:

James Franco is perma-stoned. Dean Ambrose looks that way in most of his interviews too.

Dean looks perma-drunk which doesn't bother me for reasons unknown.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Daniel Bryan posted:

Well I certainly don't sense AJ as a big mover right now when all she does is skip around the ring to the sounds of crickets from the audience.

Her new basketball player gimmick's getting over really well, I don't know what you're talking about. Do you hear all those "See 'em dunk!" chants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

maxallen posted:

I'm not even sure what you mean here.

They will go up to the big show, Vince and Dunn's schizophrenic/apathetic booking will ruin them, and they will be canned.

I would like very much to be laughably wrong, but I've heard this song way too often not to be pessimistic.

quote:

Children are getting each other pregnant at 12

:stare:

Pull up, thread! PULL UP!

• Locked thread