Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
My local MC is showing as having 9 EVGA SC ACX 970s and 5 EVGA SC GTX 980s, for $10 over MSRP ($339 and $559 respectively). Which is tempting me to sell my 780 and pick up a 980.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Yea, I'm planning on upgrading from a 460gtx to that new 970 as well. Probably something like 3 months out though.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

GokieKS posted:

My local MC is showing as having 9 EVGA SC ACX 970s and 5 EVGA SC GTX 980s, for $10 over MSRP ($339 and $559 respectively). Which is tempting me to sell my 780 and pick up a 980.

Same boat as you except I have to sell a R280X ROG. Need to figure out selling price.

edit: 6 in stock!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

1gnoirents posted:

Man I'm surprised this was such a real hard launch at all, ie stores having them period. I'm figuring supply will be spotty but I'm impressed in general by the initial availability.

Looks like my local microcenter has 1 of each at exactly list price (EVGA).

Mine allegedly had six, but when I went to add it to the cart it said ITEM NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

1gnoirents posted:

Man I'm surprised this was such a real hard launch at all, ie stores having them period. I'm figuring supply will be spotty but I'm impressed in general by the initial availability.

Looks like my local microcenter has 1 of each at exactly list price (EVGA).

Its amazing to me there arn't leaks sooner than there were, talking multiple manufacturers and poo poo making cards ready for sale.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

For those who gave up on Newegg because they went out of stock, they are currently showing in-stock, limit 2 per customer on the MSI, Zotac, and Gigabyte 970's.

GTX 900 series on Newegg

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Old classifieds looked better

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
That MSI is so tempting. It's such a bad idea. I'd only have one for a while and my 780ti is simply better than it but somehow I just can barely stop myself.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

1gnoirents posted:

That MSI is so tempting. It's such a bad idea. I'd only have one for a while and my 780ti is simply better than it but somehow I just can barely stop myself.

Yea, i wouldn't replace a 780ti with a 970. That would be dumb.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
If nothing else the 780ti has much better integer performance, which is probably good for something.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hace posted:

If nothing else the 780ti has much better integer performance, which is probably good for something.

It's AMAZING, let me tell you! I pretty much constantly think, man, I have some loving solid integer performance. GTX 780 was ok, but this is a whole 'nother level!

No regrets.

:qqsay:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Don Lapre posted:

Yea, i wouldn't replace a 780ti with a 970. That would be dumb.

Yeah ... but then I'd get another! Lol. Honestly I really do want to see how far I can push one with a G10 (if it fits?) and perhaps bios volt mod if that gets figured out soon enough. I had a lot of fun with 660tis doing that. But then again my 780ti is something like 35% over reference clocks as it sits so I should just grow up and "deal" with having that. Maybe I can distract myself by finally figuring out how to do that to my 780ti, which didn't work before.

Of course if someone buys mine in SA mart then its a done deal

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Now I'm just speculating here... but might nVidia be engaging in anticompetetive practices here? Like, selling 970s at a loss in order to crush AMD?

They're just so cheap.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

td4guy posted:

Now I'm just speculating here... but might nVidia be engaging in anticompetetive practices here? Like, selling 970s at a loss in order to crush AMD?

They're just so cheap.

Well, AMD started it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

GrizzlyCow posted:

Well, AMD started it.

Imagine being one of those people who paid $600+ for a 290x to mine coins.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Don Lapre posted:

They kinda deserve it though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

To be fair, the people who got in on the ground floor and cashed out monthly made enough to pay for the cards and a bit extra. The people who stashed it all in MtGox, lol

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

td4guy posted:

They're just so cheap.

I think that's only anti competitive if nvidia was like 50 times bigger than AMD. Otherwise its just actual competition. I mean AMD and nvidia are pretty back and forth all things considered, compared to other industries.

That being said, I hope AMD can respond in kind, the very last thing I want to see is an AMD vs intel thing going on. In fact that's probably a good closer example: if Intel sold all their cpus below AMD's prices taking very large hits on each cpu just because they have a much larger budget than AMD that'd be a good example of anti competitive stuff

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 19, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
The R9 285 is as low as $240 new (with a free games bundle, too) and beats up on a 760 so it's not like AMD is getting trounced at all price points yet. Just at the 970 and 980 price points.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

td4guy posted:

They're just so cheap.

No, even if that is what they're doing there's nothing illegal about that. Video game consoles have been doing this for decades.

It would only be illegal if they were putting pressure on retailers to not sell AMD cards or (what Intel did) threaten to take away special discount pricing if they sold AMD products.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

The R9 285 is as low as $240 new (with a free games bundle, too) and beats up on a 760 so it's not like AMD is getting trounced at all price points yet. Just at the 970 and 980 price points.

MSRP on the 760 is $219 now, i bet $199/$189 will be the norm online price.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
OK, what I was getting at is, AMD more or less replicated the energy savings gains that Maxwell did with, right? They pretty much just copy every new feature Nvidia does, only with less quality and at a lower price tag. I'm still agnostic between the two, I was thrilled with the silly amount of performance I was getting from AMD mining cards and even more stunned that Nvidia caught up to that with retail pricing for brand new cards, that's the crazy part.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Maybe in the US, but elsewhere in the world nVidia cards are sold way above MSRP.

But yeah, in the US nVidia is killing it.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

This is really strange: it seems like reviewers got the EVGA 970 cards with ACX 2.0, but the ones that are available are all ACX 1.0. Wouldn't that mean that reviews are kind of useless with regards to temperatures and noise?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Remember, part of what made AMD's stuff so awesome for mining and gave them a helpful cash injection has now turned into a liability. They have to contend with a used market that has suddenly shifted entirely, and they're now very poorly competing with their own price points thanks to a huge glut of used cards on the market, most of which are probably fine and won't need servicing during their intended useful life, despite the whole cryptocoin waste-o-MTBF.

This hosed them in CPUs, to the point that if you look at their revenue they're now well into earning more from graphics than they are from CPUs. Of course, a big part of that has to do with how they classify those two increasingly-related things; for example, they're effectively able to write some GPU profit from their APU sales and bundles (yes I am talking about consoles now) into their CPU division for now.

They are aware that this is bullshit, and it's not actually their fault - go back to the acquisition of ATI and the way the two companies never really integrated internally until they got choke-slammed together by the market and a lot of famous names got fired or walked. CPUs and graphics cards were starting to converge more but it didn't make sense, at the time, to somehow try to reverse-engineer the fuckin' future and confuse everyone with a weird revenue reporting nomenclature. I think they're responding appropriately by changing it now; it wasn't entirely clear that they are ~more or less a GPU and APU company when Bulldozer was still on the way, but it's damned clear now. Future reports should clarify quite a bit of the :raise: stuff you run into trying to figure out AMD's financial circumstances at anything more than a very surface read.

burndtjamb
Sep 5, 2006

If anyone needed another reason to avoid EVGA's 970 offerings this round:

Bit-Tech.net posted:

What may be a distraction, however, is noise from the power circuitry. As we said, EVGA doesn't use any upgraded components for its power phases, whereas ASUS and MSI both use higher end parts. It also has only four power phases for the GPU compared to six in the other two cards, which puts more strain and load on the invidiual elements of each phse. The result, sadly, is a relatively low volume but still irritating buzzing noise every time the card is put under load (i.e. when gaming). In a quiet case positioned on the floor, or when using headphones, it won't bother you, but if your case is next to you on your desk then that may not be the case. No power noise was heard from the ASUS or MSI cards.

This roundup reviews the ACX2 cooler that EVGA's been hyping up (spoiler alert: MSI/ASUS do it better). I actually had the EVGA 970 SC ACX preparing for shipment from Amazon, but after discovering it still had the ACX1 cooler I promptly cancelled my order. The bit about lower grade parts being used just reaffirmed my decision to swap to an MSI 970 4G, despite having to wait out for Amazon to restock it.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Just pulled the trigger on an MSI 970 to upgrade my Gigabyte Windforce 670. Was curious if asking $200 for it would be too crazy.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

jisforjosh posted:

Just pulled the trigger on an MSI 970 to upgrade my Gigabyte Windforce 670. Was curious if asking $200 for it would be too crazy.

You probably don't want the barebones open air version they're offering, I'd either get the TFV design or bust.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Hace posted:

You probably don't want the barebones open air version they're offering, I'd either get the TFV design or bust.

Is it really that much of a difference? I can still cancel it

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
I'm currently running a single GTX 660ti. A friend who works at a local tech shop suggested I could just get another of those secondhand quite cheap, run them in SLI and wait for the next NVIDIA or AMD card instead of upgrading to the 9 series. Is this a reasonable plan?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

jisforjosh posted:

Is it really that much of a difference? I can still cancel it

The twin frozr is excellent and I would wait for it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

EVGA :argh: How they could gently caress up the ACX cooler. It did a better job than the Titan cooler on a card that could easily get to 270W under heavy use, but from what I can tell they're using the slimmed down, frankly shittier version of it that they ran on the 770 PCBs and apparently they didn't do a very good job of making extra special sure they weren't loving it up.

Gonna break the EVGA streak if they don't straighten out by the time my stupid brain gets around to convincing me to buy a god damned graphics card even though it is a terrible value proposition for (rather specifically!) folks with a 780Ti.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
I made big dumb post about my new pc build in the general parts thread, but I thought I might have more luck with the gpu-specific part of it in this thread.

I have a Sapphire R9 290 with the terrible reference cooler, and I'm sorely tempted to brave international shipping prices and void my warranty to put a Raijintek Morpheus cooler on that sucker. Throw on a couple of quiet as hell Noctua 120mm fans, run that sucker at 50 degrees under heavy load all day. Is this any sort of a good idea? In the long run I feel like having a molten hot 95 degree celsius brick attached to my motherboard is going to spell bad things for the life of the surrounding parts, not to mention the gpu itself. I'm also getting tired of having what sounds like a jet during take-off one and a half feet from my head with the fan at only 50%.

The Raijintek cooler seems like a nice easy fix, but what are other good options in this vein? Aftermarket GPU cooling isn't a thing I've worried about before.

edit: Pretty sure this is my card

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 20, 2014

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Agreed posted:

EVGA :argh: How they could gently caress up the ACX cooler. It did a better job than the Titan cooler on a card that could easily get to 270W under heavy use, but from what I can tell they're using the slimmed down, frankly shittier version of it that they ran on the 770 PCBs and apparently they didn't do a very good job of making extra special sure they weren't loving it up.

Gonna break the EVGA streak if they don't straighten out by the time my stupid brain gets around to convincing me to buy a god damned graphics card even though it is a terrible value proposition for (rather specifically!) folks with a 780Ti.

I thought you were going to wait until the next ex-professional card was in the pipeline?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
How can you tell which evga cooler is 1.0 and 2.0? I ordered one this morning and it already shipped but I was expecting the same noise levels as my current asus 770 and really do not want something louder.
I got this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487066&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

ClassH fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 20, 2014

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doctor Albatross posted:

I'm currently running a single GTX 660ti. A friend who works at a local tech shop suggested I could just get another of those secondhand quite cheap, run them in SLI and wait for the next NVIDIA or AMD card instead of upgrading to the 9 series. Is this a reasonable plan?

Sure he didn't mean to wait until the 9 series was released? There probably isn't anything coming out for another year. A 660ti is going for ~150$ used, you could probably sell yours and end up with a 970 for around the cost of a second 660ti. I'd guess you'd probably have better performance with a 970 than a 660ti SLI setup too, not to mention less than half the power draw.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Doctor Albatross posted:

SLI will undoubtedly be a worse experience than one powerful card. The GTX 660 Ti in a 2-Way SLI configuration will offer worse performance in games that scale right. There are games that don't work too well with multi-GPU setups as many in this thread can attest. Anywho, unless you can get a 660 Ti really cheap, just buy your pick of the 970 (or 980) or wait until the 980 Ti comes out. Also be wary of other considerations like your PSU capacity and such; SLI can eat up some power.

The people in this thread can give you a second opinion.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Do any of the first wave of GTX 970s have 2 display port on them? It's really frustrating how nVidia partners refuse to put 2-3 miniDP on cards instead of a 2nd DVI or an HDMI.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

The twin frozr is excellent and I would wait for it.

Well I screwed myself I guess, as soon as I clicked to change my order on Newegg, it changed status to packaging; no further changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ClassH posted:

How can you tell which evga cooler is 1.0 and 2.0? I ordered one this morning and it already shipped but I was expecting the same noise levels as my current asus 770 and really do not want something louder.
I got this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487066&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

All of EVGA's coolers are louder and hotter than the MSI alternative, ACX 1.0 or 2.0. The new 2.0 is particular is really lovely loud, like twice the reference design. The last gen 1.0 was also really not great once people did objective comparisons to the MSI stuff. Also see the above posts above EVGA cheaping out on power delivery causing coil whine. EVGA sells entirely on brand name.

If you want to tell which is which, 2.0 has blue accents and 1.0 doesn't.