Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Resistance checks should matter more than they currently do, but shouldn't afford you immunity and instead should afford you some level of comfort while secondary mechanics are forcing tactical play without resorting to pure damage at any time.

Said no one ever.

Are you sure we are playing the same game? The first point of resistance for every element is extremely important. If you don't have at least rC+ and rF+ even tier 2 demons can be serious hazards. The second point is less vital but still very helpful. I have been WRECKED by negative zig floors that would otherwise be chumps because I was fighting with 0 rN. There is already plenty of resistance checks in the game, but they don't require you to have everything maxed out because extended is not intended for just immortal wizmode characters.

Torment is interesting, it's the only thing outside the lords that keeps me awake in Hell. The only time I ever get annoyed by torment is when doing Hell-themed zig floors, and that's because hell enemy generation is garbage so torment is the one thing stopping me from tabbing the entire floor.

E: The harshest resistance check in the game is probably Cerebov because he does shittons of fire damage while reducing your fire resistance, but he only checks a single resistance and he's a unique rune-guarding boss, instead of a generic enemy.

Darox fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Darox posted:

So what I'm getting from that is that Extended should be decided by resistance checks instead of tactical decisions.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm curious as to why you're saying this when extended already "gear-checks" you for resistances anyway in hells and the unique pand lords (with random pandemonium floors being a mixed bag), and torment will wreck your poo poo without appropriate resists.

rN+++ would negate most of the torment "debuff", sure, but if torment is cumulative, the damage is going to start piling up regardless if you don't have a good choke point to limit the attacks. This would just give you a chance to avoid the indirect damage from being tormented by trying to avoid subsequent attacks from other enemies or the fiends. I think it's an interesting idea where you have to consider your current position at least, and not just a gear check.

apple fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 20, 2014

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
What if enemy casters had mana pools, straight up, and more powerful ones could spend turns Sif-channeling (or using similar mechanics) to recover it?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

apple posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I'm curious as to why you're saying this when extended already "gear-checks" you for resistances in hells and the unique pand lords (with random pandemonium floors being a mixed bag), and torment will wreck your poo poo without appropriate resists.

rN+++ would negate most of the torment "debuff", sure, but if torment is cumulative, the damage is going to start piling up regardless if you don't have a good choke point to limit the attacks. This would just give you a chance to avoid the indirect damage from being tormented by trying to avoid subsequent attacks from other enemies or the fiends. I think it's an interesting idea where you have to consider your current position at least, and not just a gear check.

You can do all of Hells & Pan with just one pip of each resistance, with resist pots on hand to help you fight some of the lords. This stops being the case if half the enemies strip off your resistances.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Darox posted:

You can do all of Hells & Pan with just one pip of each resistance, with resist pots on hand to help you fight some of the lords. This stops being the case if half the enemies strip off your resistances.

Sounds like it might be more interesting if you had to think about it when they stripped your resist. Maybe you should've read that post before that you didn't read.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

nucleicmaxid posted:

Sounds like it might be more interesting if you had to think about it when they stripped your resist. Maybe you should've read that post before that you didn't read.

Hmm yes putting on more resist gear is a very interesting tactical choice. I am sure that with 300 untouchable hp, deflect missiles and rC+++ you will be VERY CONCERNED by that Ice Fiend when your rN+++ drops down to rN+.

Removing Torment and nerfing Hellfire makes singular fiends/tormentors completely unthreatening and even in bulk they won't be more threatening than before. Like, this doesn't change your tactical decisions it just makes the right decisions even less involved.

E: On reflection I was probably exaggerating the resistance gate thing, it'd mostly only gate you via MR/rN to avoid severe draining damage, while making it much easier to mindlessly tab through everything else.

Darox fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 20, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Did you read that post yet?

apple
May 18, 2003

Darox posted:

Hmm yes putting on more resist gear is a very interesting tactical choice. I am sure that with 300 untouchable hp, deflect missiles and rC+++ you will be VERY CONCERNED by that Ice Fiend when your rN+++ drops down to rN+.

Removing Torment and nerfing Hellfire makes singular fiends/tormentors completely unthreatening and even in bulk they won't be more threatening than before. Like, this doesn't change your tactical decisions it just makes the right decisions even less involved.

E: On reflection I was probably exaggerating the resistance gate thing, it'd mostly only gate you via MR/rN to avoid severe draining damage, while making it much easier to mindlessly tab through everything else.

Resistance stripping from torment/hellfire is just a minor point on one potential way to make things threatening without relying only on damage being pure or unavoidable. The overall threat level should be the same (if not more if handled improperly), but provide more avenues to mitigate the danger.

Like Canine also mentioned, caster AI also kinda bothers me. Doing something like stair dancing the initial Tomb:2 ambush on a melee character, I could very well die while retreating upstairs if the mummies got their poo poo together and just chain tormented and finished you off with smite.. instead I just operate on the assumption that they'll waste a lot of turns doing other things so it works out.

Ferrinus posted:

What if enemy casters had mana pools, straight up, and more powerful ones could spend turns Sif-channeling (or using similar mechanics) to recover it?

That's basically what skill cooldown on enemy casters would emulate I think

apple fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 20, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah, with his replies, I don't think he actually read the post.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

nucleicmaxid posted:

Yeah, with his replies, I don't think he actually read the post.

I don't blame him, it is long and boring and none of it will ever make it into the game. The thing making the endgame boring is the environments, not the caster AI or what the gently caress ever.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

quote:

430 gold - the +0 cloak "Hemp" {+Fly rC+ Dex+3}

So close...

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

apple posted:

Resistance stripping from torment/hellfire is just a minor point on one potential way to make things threatening without relying only on damage being pure or unavoidable. The overall threat level should be the same (if not more if handled improperly), but provide more avenues to mitigate the danger.

Like Canine also mentioned, caster AI also kinda bothers me. Doing something like stair dancing the initial Tomb:2 ambush on a melee character, I could very well die while retreating upstairs if the mummies got their poo poo together and just chain tormented and finished you off with smite.. instead I just operate on the assumption that they'll waste a lot of turns doing other things so it works out.

And if orc wizards acted optimally no felids or mummies would never reach temple. Saying 'what if we made enemy casters predictable and smart' is a garbage statement because the response is 'you have to nerf everything or the game becomes impossible'. At that point extended talk becomes moot because everyone will be busy trying to figure out how to kill ogre magi.

If you are at risk of getting killed by a good burst of torment & smite while climbing stairs you are not playing smart. This is not the game being cheap, this is you doing the wrong things. If there are 8 greater mummies having a tea party just outside the Tomb3 staircases you don't tromp down there and ask to get killed. You haste, you use silence, you do everything to stop them from ever having the chance to kill you. That is one of the good points about Torment, it kills you if you act retarded and charge in. If you can see 4+ combined sources of torment and hellfire at once in pan or hells you have hosed up and need to remedy the situation immediately. You can't just charge into any demon lords vault with abandon because there are multiple fiends ready to kill you.

Take a typical example. You are a minotaur fightmans with no spells above level 6. A brimstone fiend, an ice fiend, and Dispater come into view at the edge of your los.

With current Torment: You run, because if you try to walk up to them and tab you will die. Not "if you're unlucky", it's not bad luck to get immediately tormented when you walk towards multiple fiends. Instead you use los and try to isolate them or at least force them to start the fight next to you.

With that proposed torment: You tab through them, because torment is harmless (none of them use negative damage and the bonus IF they hit you is minor) and hellfire bounces off your rF+++ while helpfully removing a resist you don't care about. Dispater might be a little scary with bonus negative damage but you have a full health bar and his once dangerous hellfire is a glorified fireball.

Any complaints about torment that devolve into "if every monster in LoS acts optimally they can oneshot me" are bullshit because if you got to that point you already screwed up. It'd be like trying to fight a pack of 3 orc priests with 40 max hp.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Darox posted:

And if orc wizards acted optimally no felids or mummies would never reach temple. Saying 'what if we made enemy casters predictable and smart' is a garbage statement because the response is 'you have to nerf everything or the game becomes impossible'.

Holy poo poo. I thought nucleicmaxid was being facetious when he said that you didn't read the post, but you actually didn't read the post. Amazing.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Poison Arrow and OOD (only thing that saved me from Blademasters and Master Archers) are really good in Elf.

...I should still probably have done Lair first.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

LogicNinja posted:

So close...

If you find the helm PCP, does it have +Berserk?

apple
May 18, 2003

Darth Windu posted:

I don't blame him, it is long and boring and none of it will ever make it into the game. The thing making the endgame boring is the environments, not the caster AI or what the gently caress ever.

I thought it was pretty interesting v:shobon:v plus, any honest attempt at proposing an improvement to crawl is ok in my book. Like others mentioned here though, maybe this is better suited for crawl's Tavern or w/e the design sub-forum is.

If I read how Gozag was initially proposed I wouldn't have ever thought it would make it to trunk eventually, yet here we are. I really wanna like him too, he's just a bit too bland for me atm.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Darox posted:

fightmans

Where did this poo poo start? Is it a yospos thing or something? It's really not very cool

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Hempuli posted:

I'd really appreciate it if someone could take a quick glance at the morgue and shout at me for something dumb I did (preferably related to spell memorizing): http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Hempuli/morgue-Hempuli-20140920-000417.txt

x - +6 spear of Courage {flame, +Inv +Fly Dex+2}

This is a a pretty bad weapon to fight with bar /maybe/ pre-Lair, if you were just using it for the Inv/Fly/Dex then possibly but it doesn't sound like you were. Don't use bad base type weapons unless you're leaning on a flat damage proccing brand, even with enchantment and a brand like Flame you're not getting much.

BigFactory posted:

Where did this poo poo start? Is it a yospos thing or something? It's really not very cool

:eyepop:

Read fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 20, 2014

Pwnguin
Sep 22, 2004

Hempuli posted:

Just lost another DDNe; the actual cause of death was somewhat uninteresting (underestimated a pack of orc priests led by a high priest at O:4), but even before the death the game felt strangely difficult. I had a Lair ending with dire elephants, and could hardly damage them, and in Orc the knights and warlords were mostly undamageable except by using Makhleb's stuff or wands. Vampiric Draining was definitely my most powerful spammable attack, which felt a bit wrong since my artifact spear seemed to do nearly no damage. I'm pretty sure I didn't train stuff properly, but I never felt really secure changing my training from casting/necromancy to fighting/polearms.

The biggest problem I've been having with my casters is that after the initial handy book, I have no idea what kinds of spells to go for next. There're so many of them and I'm pretty uncertain of how much experience I should dedicate to a different school of magic before memorizing any spells from them. In this game I had the Necronomicon (but dumbly never even attempted memorizing anything from there) and 4-5 other books with overwhelming amounts of spells I didn't know what to do with.

tl;dr: Whine whine game is hard whine whine

I'd really appreciate it if someone could take a quick glance at the morgue and shout at me for something dumb I did (preferably related to spell memorizing): http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Hempuli/morgue-Hempuli-20140920-000417.txt

* Level 13.8(13.3) Evocations

Did you mix up evocations and invocations or what happened? With makhleb you want enough invoc to reliably summon greater demons; evocations was pretty much useless for your character. Also, you really shouldn't be training all your skills at the same time like it looks like you're doing. The necronomicon wouldn't have been useful at this point, you need so much Necromancy (and Summoning for Haunt) for the spells in it. What you should have been doing is, like others have mentioned, focused on getting a better weapon and training that up. Think of the necromancy spell book like support for your melee, it's not powerful enough to work on its own for a very long time. Also, Swiftness and Repel Missiles would have been nice utility spells to memorize.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I see where you're coming from with this and I've absolutely felt the same way at times. But I have to say I feel skeptical of your solutions. And I think that's the problem, that most people do realize that, regardless of how you feel about torment and hellfire, extended relies on those threats too much and a greater variety of ways to threaten the player would make the game better. Unfortunately, the developers rightly fear that most proposed changes will make the game worse.

"Torment is an especially interesting obstacle"

Said no one ever.

It is an interesting obstacle. I'm sure a lot of players and a number of the devs think so too. Here is a thread in the tavern with a very good post by evilmike about torment. Your proposal would make it far less threatening in most circumstances. Yes, it would be very dangerous if there's a bunch of other stuff on the screen at the same time, but you really shouldn't ever be fighting anything that can torment you with a bunch of other stuff there anyway. One tormenting enemy by itself is a serious danger now, but with your proposal it wouldn't be. Another interesting thing about torment is that it sometimes forces you to take a whole bunch of damage without seriously threatening your life, then you have to decide how and where to rest and recover hit points.

Your proposal regarding hellfire seems to make it almost harmless. The only time I could imagine it seriously threatening the player is if you have no cold resistance and something hellfires you while standing next to an icefiend and the icefiend survives. Once again, this changes a lone hellion from being a dangerous monster to chaff.

That brings me to what I feel is the biggest problem. These changes would make enemies that are very dangerous on their own become unable to kill you except in groups. A brimstone fiend would be dangerous with a bunch of other fiends together, but alone it would be a chump. That by itself is a serious negative to me, but it would require serious changes to enemy generation in extended that force you to fight the most significant threats in groups. However, if you have any way to separate the enemies and fight them one on one (and you almost certainly will), they can't hurt you. Finally, it would eliminate pants-crapping panic moments where you fell asleep at the wheel for a second then got tormented twice in a row and have to escape or fight your way out.

Give casters the ability to make better decisions. If you are at max range, a lich that can cast OoD will probably cast OoD, but give that spell a cooldown. They way I'd implement caster AI is to give them sets of tiered spells and force a cooldown on each tier. So something like OoD might be a Tier 1 spell, but Mystic Blast might be Tier 3. Casters will probably always reach for that tier one spell, but if you can dodge or mitigate it, you don't have to deal with it again for some number of turns. This could also have an interaction with antimagic, where instead of incurring a fail chance, the internal CD has a chance to be delayed. This is somewhat dangerous though as if you round a corner to 3 casters, the results could be pretty devastating.

This would require very serious changes to the UI or the game would become unplayable. I go to elf: 3 and an annihilator shows up. He iron shots me, now I know he's cast his tier 2, but still has his other tiers, so I have to keep track of that. Then a sorceror comes on screen and hastes itself. Okay, he cast his tier 2 also, but banishment also occupies his tier 2, so I have to keep track of how many turns I have of being safe from that particular elf banishing me. Then a death mage shows up. Then another annihilator. Now I'd better take out my note pad and write down every spell cast by every enemy and mark each turn after it has been cast or I run the risk of getting banished and eating three crystal spears at once. My opinion is that this adds an enormous amount of complexity to the game that isn't worth what it's trying to fix.

I do have mixed feelings about the variability in the danger of spellcasting enemies. But I guess my feeling is that it's just how the game is and it works and has positives aspects along with the negative aspects. I do think this kind of discussion is good for the game even if most of the Crawl Conservatives tend to dismiss it offhand.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hey, this is a pretty cool response and I think it has some good points. A few things I'd like to address:

quote:

Unfortunately, the developers rightly fear that most proposed changes will make the game worse.

I think it would too. I think there is no way to rebuild the threats in the extended end game without being first willing to rip a significant portion of it down and start over. That means there will probably have to be some 0.X.0 version that is going to be too hard or too easy in places. That said, I think the reforms I propose have enough knobs to turn that getting it 'right' would be possible, although there will almost certainly be pain right out of the gates.

quote:

Your proposal would make [torment] far less threatening in most circumstances.

A brimstone fiend would be dangerous with a bunch of other fiends together, but alone it would be a chump.

So this is a legitimate concern, but one that I think that has a fairly easy remedy, at least in most cases. I did think about it, but I didn't post my thoughts as it was getting long anyway.

Basically, you'd have to sit down with each enemy that casts torment and determine how threatening they are without it and what you'd have to do to make them threatening again. For an extreme example, I'd like to look at, well, tormentors. They aren't really scary by themselves already, but they can put you in a spot where if you see the wrong dude immediately after, they might have signed your death warrant, with the proposed changes, they aren't really threatening at all without some friends that are on screen. So, give them more tools and make them smart. As so on as they can, they'll torment, and then they do something like spam 'summon imps' or for maximum hilarity, 'summon shadow imps'. They don't need to be putting 1s on the screen with torment, and their theme is still strong.

quote:

This would require very serious changes to the UI or the game would become unplayable. I go to elf: 3 and an annihilator shows up. He iron shots me, now I know he's cast his tier 2, but still has his other tiers, so I have to keep track of that. Then a sorceror comes on screen and hastes itself. Okay, he cast his tier 2 also, but banishment also occupies his tier 2, so I have to keep track of how many turns I have of being safe from that particular elf banishing me. Then a death mage shows up. Then another annihilator. Now I'd better take out my note pad and write down every spell cast by every enemy and mark each turn after it has been cast or I run the risk of getting banished and eating three crystal spears at once. My opinion is that this adds an enormous amount of complexity to the game that isn't worth what it's trying to fix.

I think this is pretty legitimate as well. I'm not totally sure how you'd communicate that to your player, or if you even would, but I'm thinking that you'd either simply not display it or if you would, you might only indicate their most powerful slot either with an icon (which would be really 'noisy' in a place like Elf) or with a line of text ("The Elvish Annihilator is almost recharged"). Honestly, I don't think knowing the exact amount of turns is that important. I mean, I don't think people can tell you what spells most casters even have in their toolbox right now, barring maybe the 1 or 2 most threatening ones, so I'm just not sure it's totally important. It's a fair concern though.

apple
May 18, 2003

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I see where you're coming from with this and I've absolutely felt the same way at times. But I have to say I feel skeptical of your solutions. And I think that's the problem, that most people do realize that, regardless of how you feel about torment and hellfire, extended relies on those threats too much and a greater variety of ways to threaten the player would make the game better. Unfortunately, the developers rightly fear that most proposed changes will make the game worse.

It is an interesting obstacle. I'm sure a lot of players and a number of the devs think so too. Here is a thread in the tavern with a very good post by evilmike about torment. Your proposal would make it far less threatening in most circumstances. Yes, it would be very dangerous if there's a bunch of other stuff on the screen at the same time, but you really shouldn't ever be fighting anything that can torment you with a bunch of other stuff there anyway. One tormenting enemy by itself is a serious danger now, but with your proposal it wouldn't be. Another interesting thing about torment is that it sometimes forces you to take a whole bunch of damage without seriously threatening your life, then you have to decide how and where to rest and recover hit points.

I guess my main problem with torment is that while it manages to make things very tense and does force you into interesting situations in the sense that you use your noggin to find the right way to get out of a bad spot, it doesn't feel very fun when it's used this often and is basically the only real obstacle with the majority of my extended characters. If I have a character with necromutation castable, I actually enjoy it more because dispel undead's lack of smite targeting makes it easier to find ways to avoid it and you don't run into it as frequently. You make a good point about the suggested torment being less threatening in most circumstances, I just like the idea of having more ways to mitigate it if it's going to be a recurring theme in most extended areas (ideally the actual threat of torment would remain high despite this, but I understand these are conflicting objectives).

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I don't think it would be that difficult or dramatic of a change to the UI. You could start by simply color coding the spells in the monster description so you have an idea of cooldown times:

Red: >50 auts
Orange: 20-30 auts
Yellow: 10-20 auts
Green: Castable

This would have the added bonus of auto-ID'ing the spell set that a Lich/Ancient Lich/etc. have, and maybe could be included for even pand lords (the spells would be added as they're casted). I'm not saying this tiered approach is the ideal choice necessarily, but I don't think it would be that difficult to provide a good visual aid on spell cooldowns. Crawl already keeps track of things like corpses when you search for them (rotten, skeletalised, etc.), as well as auto-ID'ing stuff like scrolls when you find the last one, and this doesn't sound too far off.

Regardless of what it ends up being, some changes to caster AI to reduce their variability would be cool.

apple fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 20, 2014

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

apple posted:

That's basically what skill cooldown on enemy casters would emulate I think

It would, but it'd save you from tracking individual spell cooldowns for each and every monster - you could just watch the blue bar under an enemy's tile. If spellcasting enemies had predictable AI same as melee enemies, but a mana bar that limited their actions, you'd get enemies that used spells intelligently but that couldn't literally throw them at you turn after turn after turn.

So, for instance, a lich's AI could be like:

1. if at extreme distance, choose randomly between throwing OOD or taking a step closer
2. if at medium distance or lower, throw LCS
3. if have decided to cast a spell but can't, channel mana Sif-style

You'd end up with an enemy that cast powerful spells but not every round, but more importantly was more logical and predictable in terms of when and where it cast those spells.

apple
May 18, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

It would, but it'd save you from tracking individual spell cooldowns for each and every monster - you could just watch the blue bar under an enemy's tile. If spellcasting enemies had predictable AI same as melee enemies, but a mana bar that limited their actions, you'd get enemies that used spells intelligently but that couldn't literally throw them at you turn after turn after turn.

So, for instance, a lich's AI could be like:

1. if at extreme distance, choose randomly between throwing OOD or taking a step closer
2. if at medium distance or lower, throw LCS
3. if have decided to cast a spell but can't, channel mana Sif-style

You'd end up with an enemy that cast powerful spells but not every round, but more importantly was more logical and predictable in terms of when and where it cast those spells.

Oh yeah, that's a good point. I'm not sure if devs would deem a visible mana bar as too "cheaty", but that would probably be the easiest visual indicator, yeah. The only catch is monsters don't use mana AFAIK, so that would have to be implemented as well.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Basically, you'd have to sit down with each enemy that casts torment and determine how threatening they are without it and what you'd have to do to make them threatening again. For an extreme example, I'd like to look at, well, tormentors. They aren't really scary by themselves already, but they can put you in a spot where if you see the wrong dude immediately after, they might have signed your death warrant, with the proposed changes, they aren't really threatening at all without some friends that are on screen. So, give them more tools and make them smart. As so on as they can, they'll torment, and then they do something like spam 'summon imps' or for maximum hilarity, 'summon shadow imps'. They don't need to be putting 1s on the screen with torment, and their theme is still strong.

One of the best things about Torment is that it's an equalizer. An immortal tank of a character and someone who is only just tough enough for extended are both threatened by it without being overwhelmed. Ice fiends are melee monsters but for most of my endgame characters they usually turn out to be harmless kittens if they can't torment. If you made Ice Fiends strong enough to compensate for the lost threat of torment so that they could threaten a monstrous melee character they would obliterate any normal character going into pan for their 5th rune.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.16-a0-689-g516c4f7 (webtiles) character file.

3390928 Wolfechu the Grand Master (level 27, 180/180 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Monk on Sept 19, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Zin.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 6 runes on Sept 20, 2014!

The game lasted 06:19:43 (96275 turns).
Well this was the biggest loving comedy of errors in a long time. Figured I'd try Ru, because why not. Picked sacrifices more or less at random, mortified to learn that 'no evocables' doesn't mean just setting evocations to 0 like armour or dodging, it means no wands ever. Nevertheless, perservered and found it reasonably easy to beat things to death with my bare hands.

Other highlights:

- Took one sacrifice in whichever one removes some spell schools. No transmutations knackered up my plans of statue form. To be honest, ended up barely casting through the game, ended up solving most things with punching.
- Cleared out Slime before realising I couldn't use a wand of digging. Thankfully had LRD castable, but gave me a nasty turn for a moment.
- No amulet of rMut, anywhere. Cleared Elf, Slime, Crypt, V5, nothing. Even did a few levels of Pan out of desperation, eventually gave up and thought 'gently caress it, bring the 4 potions of Cure Mut I've got to Zot 5 and hope for the best. Halfway through Z:5 I remember I could just switch to Zin. Immediately did so, and then just legged it.
- 10K in gold, 21 shops (which seems way over the average), only 2K spent on anything worth getting. No book stores at all. Several evocation stores, just to rub it in.

Ru seems... kinda fun, actually. Not something I'll rush to, but not the slog I was expecting. Other than the no wands snafu I didn't seem too crippled, the aura was more helpful than not, and apocalypse got a fair amount of use. I suspect Ru might be tougher on a race that's not easymode like Gr.

E: Oops, morgue file for anyone who likes the details.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 20, 2014

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Something I mentioned a week or two ago was that I'd write up a big ol' post about how the way some damage mechanics in the post end game feel cheap and lazy, and offer some suggestions. Well, here is that post...

Thank you for writing this up! I disagree with about half of it, but it's eloquently written; thank you for putting in the effort!

I'll respond in order.

1. It's lazy design: You claim that hellfire & torment are necessitated by PCs for whom normal sources of damage are a joke; this is not true, or it's missing the point, depending on how you want to think about it. The problem of damage could be trivially solved by, say, doubling the damage dealt by extended monsters. (For an example of how this would look, consider Cerebov, and his Fire Storm/Glaciate/Shatter-casting pals, who certainly can do a respectable amount of damage even to strong extended characters.)

2. The only reason you are alive is because caster mobs are stupid: Monsters being stupid is, I think, not a bad thing in general; it makes them predictable, which lets the player readily formulate tactics, which is good & fun. Casters are unpredictably stupid, though, which is bad. ...which, on re-reading, is just what you said, put rather more briefly.

Casting AI is something that's on the medium-term radar to reform (and has been for some time) - the main problem is technical, as usual. The AI code is rather frightening.

3. Because of how high variance is, it's impossible to play around a worst case scenario, because the worst case scenario is often times death: *Msl and Flight are non sequiturs here, and the high variance problem is present from the early stages of the game; consider walking around a corner to see a pair of orc priests, which is not that rare. Or, for that matter, consider any form of crawl combat, which has huge huge huge variance, masked by low standard deviation over a large number of trials... I don't know that it's good, but it does seem fairly central to Crawl's combat, which I think those in this thread would agree is pretty enjoyable on the whole.

For your fixes:

Torment no longer does damage: This is a very cool mechanic, and I want to steal it and put it somewhere. I'm not convinced that it's a Torment replacement, though.

Hellfire does elemental damage and makes itself scarier: Does crawl really need more fire damage? Or more things to penalize borderline extended characters, while doing nothing to those loaded with randarts and resists? I really don't see any appeal to this at all.

Casters act like they know how to cast: As discussed, this is a good idea for at least some monsters (e.g. poor Lom Lobon), though very, very considerable rebalancing will be needed if e.g. orc priests are to get the buff.

Some minor changes to resistances: Stacked resists are already very weak; rf++ -> rf+++ already does almost nothing. I would have more sympathy with the idea of reducing resist stacking entirely.

Need to think about the rN thing a little more. my intuition is that it's too marginal a resist in general to be on the same scale as rF/rC, and is closer if anything to rElec - that doesn't preclude changing it, but I don't think changing it to be the same as rF/rC makes sense.

Thank you again!

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 20, 2014

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

This seems like simulationism for simulation's sake, and would make it vastly harder for developers to balance the game with no advantages beyond those provided by much simpler systems.

If we want to prevent monsters from spamming spells, we can give them a global cooldown. If we want to prevent them from spamming specific spells, then we can track that in some way. If we want them to cast spells as much as possible, then we can change the AI to accomplish this. Your system would accomplish none of these. It would let monsters spam, or not spam, randomly; then at some point, perhaps, be no longer able to spam, and be forced to waste turns until their "mana" recovers.

Is this good? Is this desirable? How on earth would it make them "more logical and predictable"? To me, it just sounds like an additional layer of complexity layered over the current randomness.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Some trailing responses to CBA.

Crate's posts in your tavern thread are also good, and I agree with them in broad terms.

I'd really prefer if you stopped using the terms 'lazy', 'cheap', etc, etc. There is nothing wrong with 'pure damage' as a game mechanic, either in flat (smite, hellfire) or % (flay, torment) varieties. You even say this yourself. Your problem with them is that they can intersect to cause high risk even for well-geared characters, which, in fact, is exactly the point; and that the variance involved is too high, which I am again unsure about. Neither of these mean that the mechanics are "lazy" - it is a meaningless, needlessly inflammatory term.

The variance involved is in some sense a problem, but I think it is one that is inherent to crawl; one can always stumble around a corner to find oneself next to an out-of-depth ogre, hill giant, or ettin, and (very rarely) be instantly squashed. it is not ideal, but I think it is inherent to crawl.

You have a great fixation on the important and significance of 'gear', which torment and hellfire certainly do not prevent (as evilmike noted so long ago, almost all item properties remain relevant - +slay, +stealth, +stats, etc...), but which are in the end not critical. Crawl is a game about tactics and limited resources; gear is just fun.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hey, thanks for the response. I'm on my phone right now, but I'll write some more words here later.

One thing I Do want to clarify I'd that I don't mean to use the word "lazy" as an attack. I certainly don't think the folks that work on crawl are lazy. Rather, that the mechanic takes "the shortest path" to accomplishing some goal.

For example, in the olden days of World of Warcraft when you had Ranks 1 - 7ish of every spell, the coefficient of each spell degraded after 7 levels of learning it. It created this really weird relationship where the 2nd highest spell rank for some healing spells was actually ideal simply because it was more efficient since the base healing changed by a relatively small number. You'd even go further and use maybe the 3rd or 4th highest rank in the name of efficiency at times when throughput wasn't necessary. Colloquially, this was called 'Downranking'. When the 2nd expansion came out for WoW, spells had one rank that just scaled with the character and multiple ranks, and downranking, were removed. This change is a 'lazy' way to fix the problem...but it was probably also the best way. The word does have a negative implication attached to it, but I certainly don't mean it that way. Regardless, I'll avoid using it in the future because I do agree that it's probably doing more harm than good.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 20, 2014

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

Is this good? Is this desirable? How on earth would it make them "more logical and predictable"? To me, it just sounds like an additional layer of complexity layered over the current randomness.

It would replace the random ai. Casters wouldn't pick spells at random, but would not literally be able to cast LCS 1/turn every turn. It's easier to scope out three different liches' mana bars than it is to keep track of which one of them zapped you most recently. Also, enemies having mana bars would give mana drain/burn/whatever effects more to work with.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

It would replace the random ai. Casters wouldn't pick spells at random, but would not literally be able to cast LCS 1/turn every turn. It's easier to scope out three different liches' mana bars than it is to keep track of which one of them zapped you most recently. Also, enemies having mana bars would give mana drain/burn/whatever effects more to work with.

They'd be able to cast LCS 1/turn for several turns in a row, killing you, and then they'd be out of MP. What a shame. (Unless you want them to have a stiflingly tiny MP pool, at which point why not just put a cooldown on all spellcasting, rather than inventing a complex new MP mechanic?)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

They'd be able to cast LCS 1/turn for several turns in a row, killing you, and then they'd be out of MP. What a shame. (Unless you want them to have a stiflingly tiny MP pool, at which point why not just put a cooldown on all spellcasting, rather than inventing a complex new MP mechanic?)

It's very similar to a global cooldown, but easier to visualize and better able to handle a monster having multiple spells of varying levels. You could have a guy loaded with both blink and LCS, for instance, whose ai tells them to blink when they've been closed on and either cast LCS or channel otherwise.

Of course, monster MP would have the same problem as player MP, which is that high-level spells are not only dramatically more time-efficient but also dramatically more MP-efficient, and it's actually stupid to cast mystic blast when a glaciate would do. You couldn't really have a guy with both a high level attack and a mid-level attack unless those two attacks had really different targeting modes, because they'd just look dumb if they ever did anything but cast their highest-level attack. That'd still be true for a global cooldown, though.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

PleasingFungus posted:

This seems like simulationism for simulation's sake

Ah, I see this is your first time meeting Ferrinus! :drac:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I do think there should be a cooldown on certain attacks, namely hellfire. Brimstone fiends are bullshit when they can torment then chain hellfire to kill you outright in a handful of turns. Obviously certain enemies like hellions could have that limit lifted since their entire gimmick is spamming hellfire. I just think its really dumb that brimstone fiends are the biggest threat to nearly any character just because they might get lucky and use their abilities properly. And when they do, you're dead.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PleasingFungus posted:

1. It's lazy design: You claim that hellfire & torment are necessitated by PCs for whom normal sources of damage are a joke; this is not true, or it's missing the point, depending on how you want to think about it. The problem of damage could be trivially solved by, say, doubling the damage dealt by extended monsters. (For an example of how this would look, consider Cerebov, and his Fire Storm/Glaciate/Shatter-casting pals, who certainly can do a respectable amount of damage even to strong extended characters.)

Jacking up numbers of extended monster though has other problems. If an Executioner's damage were doubled, PCs with low AC would be slaughtered while PCs with High AC would probably still shrug off their attacks. I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad idea or couldn't be implemented with thoughtful tuning, but I guess specifically with the proposed torment change, I'm shooting for a more universal solution against every PC, kind of like what current torment already does, but just in a more interesting manner.

quote:

Casting AI is something that's on the medium-term radar to reform (and has been for some time) - the main problem is technical, as usual. The AI code is rather frightening.

<3

quote:

3. Because of how high variance is, it's impossible to play around a worst case scenario, because the worst case scenario is often times death: *Msl and Flight are non sequiturs here, and the high variance problem is present from the early stages of the game; consider walking around a corner to see a pair of orc priests, which is not that rare. Or, for that matter, consider any form of crawl combat, which has huge huge huge variance, masked by low standard deviation over a large number of trials... I don't know that it's good, but it does seem fairly central to Crawl's combat, which I think those in this thread would agree is pretty enjoyable on the whole.

Re-reading this section of the OP, I agree that *Msl and Flight are way out of place in the statement. This kind of got Frankensteined together and was supposed to be a clearer, more coherent thought, but kinda failed. Basically what I was going for is, 'Despite (or maybe in spite of) characters in the post-end game having a lot of options, I feel like you aren't forced to think as tactically as you are in the early and mid game.'

quote:

Hellfire does elemental damage and makes itself scarier: Does crawl really need more fire damage? Or more things to penalize borderline extended characters, while doing nothing to those loaded with randarts and resists? I really don't see any appeal to this at all.

I was so excited about the torment idea that my brain decided I needed to pair it with a hellfire idea. Thinking about it again, I think the Hellfire idea sucks for the reasons you mentioned. Sure, it gets rid of pure damage, but at the cost of exacerbating an existing problem.

quote:

Some minor changes to resistances: Stacked resists are already very weak; rf++ -> rf+++ already does almost nothing. I would have more sympathy with the idea of reducing resist stacking entirely.

Armchair Systems Designer, Canine Blues Arooo would agree with this. Maybe instead convert it to 60/40/20? Make the first point a big deal, but still keep the points after the first relevant?

--

Thanks for the discussion. It's hard to bounce ideas off of people so I do appreciate the time it took to read and respond to this.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 20, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Internet Kraken posted:

I do think there should be a cooldown on certain attacks, namely hellfire. Brimstone fiends are bullshit when they can torment then chain hellfire to kill you outright in a handful of turns. Obviously certain enemies like hellions could have that limit lifted since their entire gimmick is spamming hellfire. I just think its really dumb that brimstone fiends are the biggest threat to nearly any character just because they might get lucky and use their abilities properly. And when they do, you're dead.

The answer to the Hellion question is to give each spell slot a cooldown. So Hellfire has cooldown(25), but hellions can still cast it x times quickly because they have it multiple times.

Edit: or you could change the cooldown number for different monsters. So Brimstone Fiends have hellfire(25) and torment(35) while Hellions and Tormentors get (8) and (12), respectively.

The numbers I'm using are just illustrations for relative delay, not auts or turns specifically.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 20, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I personally feel that torment isn't a terrible late game mechanic as its essentially the culmination of the LOS management and enemy prioritization skills the game forces you to learn. The exception being Tomb. Because Tomb is nothing but straight hallways that turn torment casters into an HP tax.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Trunk now has 10 pips for stealth :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

I personally feel that torment isn't a terrible late game mechanic as its essentially the culmination of the LOS management and enemy prioritization skills the game forces you to learn. The exception being Tomb. Because Tomb is nothing but straight hallways that turn torment casters into an HP tax.

This. Torment is a very good tactical device in Pan/Hell because you can take steps to mitigate it, but Torment in Tomb is a stair climbing simulator because that's the only option for mitigation (other than straight up ignoring it via Necromutation/Statue Form/being a Gargoyle/Kiku). Either Tomb needs more ways to mitigate LoS other than stairdancing, or Torment on greater mummies and mummy priests needs to be cut and replaced with a different mechanic there (maybe a good test ground for Canine's suggestion?)

• Locked thread