Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

lenoon posted:

Yeah, it was easier. I don't play games anymore, I just internalise advertising.

That was a bit rant-y, apologies. It was a long-form version of saying "you're all right, who cares" but apparently I care deeply enough to write lots of words, which is a bit embarrassing really when you think about it.

It's two and a half years after the game came out, and the only real consensus the thread can reach is that "the ending is terrible."

Don't feel too bad. We should all be embarrassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's two and a half years after the game came out, and the only real consensus the thread can reach is that "the ending is terrible."

I don't get the consensus that the revised ending is terrible. Mediocre, sure. "Terrible" is a strong word reserved for something like Indigo Prophesy.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Like I said the ending was super deep and meaningful and involved spiders.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

monster on a stick posted:

I don't get the consensus that the revised ending is terrible. Mediocre, sure. "Terrible" is a strong word reserved for something like Indigo Prophesy.

I've blacked out quite a lot of Indigo Prophecy, but my brain always tells me that I had fun playing it. It's like my friends telling me what a crazy and adventurous weekend I had when I don't remember any of it.
"Oh, dude, you went loving nuts, it was AWESOME. I can't be-liiieve you don't remember any of it"
"You're the coolest kid in Hammertown, man."

TO the dude asking about Citadel and Omega. If you've enjoyed the Mass Effect series up until now, Get Citadel, it's a really loving fun and funny well done DLC. Omega's just more straight shooting with little story that's interesting - unless you have an Asari bodypillow or something.

If you don't enjoy the Mass Effect series up until now then don't buy any DLC, and don't bother playing anything that's not multiplayer stuff.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 12, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The ending was brutally and insanely good.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The ending was brutally and insanely good.

Agreed, the ending is the best part.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

I thought we all agreed that the writing for that entire game was pretty bad outside of a handful of portions?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Thanks for the replies. I have enjoyed the entire me series thus far but don't need corridor shooting when I can just play multiplayer so I guess just get citadel then.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Still grinding through ME2 - are any of the N7 missions not absolute garbage? They seem like something that was given to new employees/interns to keep them busy and ramp them up.

All that's left is Overlord, the Derelict Reaper :allears:, Legion's loyalty mission, and the Suicide Mission.

Re: Citadel/Omega: As others have said, Citadel is fan service. It's fun but in retrospect it feels completely out of place with the dark tone of the game. One piece of advice (spoilers if you know nothing about it: the only people you can invite to the party once you've finished the actiony bits are squadmates (current and former) who have passed their determinant check. So you can't invite Miranda until after Sanctuary since she can die there, or Tali until after Rannoch is resolved.) Omega is corridor shooting but some nice bits like a small hub that you return to during the course of the mission and I like the end "boss." It's hard to compare the two.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Re: Citadel/Omega: As others have said, Citadel is fan service. It's fun but in retrospect it feels completely out of place with the dark tone of the game. One piece of advice (spoilers if you know nothing about it: the only people you can invite to the party once you've finished the actiony bits are squadmates (current and former) who have passed their determinant check. So you can't invite Miranda until after Sanctuary since she can die there, or Tali until after Rannoch is resolved.) Omega is corridor shooting but some nice bits like a small hub that you return to during the course of the mission and I like the end "boss." It's hard to compare the two.

That's why you play it as the game's ending. Think of it as an out of time epilogue.

Citadel has abouteh same "tone" as a Connery/Moore James Bond flick. It's a little silly, but it's a lot of fun. It doesn't feel out of place at all. You wandering around for a year doing all the sidequests in the main game while Earth and the other planets are being destroyed is out of place.

I get that people point out the tone difference, but for people to make it a complaint is just :psyduck: It's one of the best parts of ME3 (blahblahblah there were no good parts to ME3 blahblahblah).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Geostomp posted:

I thought we all agreed that the writing for that entire game was pretty bad outside of a handful of portions?

I agreed this.

The new ending is worse than the original.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drifter posted:

I get that people point out the tone difference, but for people to make it a complaint is just :psyduck: It's one of the best parts of ME3 (blahblahblah there were no good parts to ME3 blahblahblah).

Counterpoint: It's not (there were some)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sassassin posted:

Counterpoint: It's not (there were some)

I simply italicized your expected response based off your previous posts and poor opinions.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

sassassin posted:

The new ending is worse than the original.

It's bad.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drifter posted:

I simply italicized your expected response based off your previous posts and poor opinions.

Your algorithm needs some work.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Why can't I get an ending where Shepard hits a button and then the reapers explode and ken and donnelly have little engineer babies forever together :(

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

ungulateman posted:

Why can't I get an ending where Shepard hits a button and then the reapers explode and ken and donnelly have little engineer babies forever together :(
You can, it's the Destroy option!

e: Well, except Ken is Donelly, maybe you mean Daniels?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ungulateman posted:

Probably because they are the same person.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

ungulateman posted:

why did you not just say "Gabby" :raise:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
This is when half the crew is killed in ME2, so Ken can only effect his mass by the drive core.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aces High posted:

Was that her name, gabby donnelly? Or was Gabby Shepard's first name? :getin:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Aces High posted:

That's Gabriella Daniels actually :nyd:

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Just got Bejeweled 3 for free on Origin's "On The House"-thing, and Harbinger is shouting encouragements at me. This feels very wrong...

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If you use a hint does he assume direct control?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Can I say again how much Legion's History Lesson Mission sucked? Even worse than the 'renactments' being something you'd see in a grade school play, is everyone on the Normandy afterwards going "wow you went into the Geth Consensus that must have been the most fantastamazingulous thing ever! :aaaaa:"

Without that mission, sure almost nobody would have bothered choosing to save the Geth (even if they could keep the Quarian fleet too), but then they should have backtracked on having the Geth ally with the Reapers which was dumb anyway.

At least the memory of that crappy mission will soon be washed out of my head by the replaying of Take Back Omega.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Even Legion, an immortal, omnipotent robot AI consortium, had daddy issues.

Fuckin' Bioware.

Even the fuckin' starkid holo-AI, an even more immortal robot AI, who was a father in its own right, had daddy issues.

Even LIARA, a long-lived omni/a(?)-sexual telepathic/empathic citizen of an alien race of stripper chicks, who doesn't even have a father, had stereotypical daddy issues of abandonment.

literally everyone, but okay, Jacob's was the best one of the bunch. His dad was captain of the U.S.S. Raperprise. That was pretty awesome.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 20, 2014

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Oh no, the game has a consistent theme. How terrible.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Can I say again how much Legion's History Lesson Mission sucked? Even worse than the 'renactments' being something you'd see in a grade school play, is everyone on the Normandy afterwards going "wow you went into the Geth Consensus that must have been the most fantastamazingulous thing ever! :aaaaa:"
There could've been some sort of combat in that mission. Like shooting some virtual geth with that gun, or something.

It was like a puzzley level, but a thoroughly boring one. ME2 N7 missions showed that the Mass Effect people can't make puzzley levels.

Without that mission, sure almost nobody would have bothered choosing to save the Geth (even if they could keep the Quarian fleet too), but then they should have backtracked on having the Geth ally with the Reapers which was dumb anyway.
Nah, there were lots of people who liked the geth and figured the war was the quarians' fault during ME2. That mission just confirmed it.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 20, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I tend to always give the benefit of the doubt to the robots when it comes to stories like that, that's just how often that particular trope is used.

sassassin posted:

Oh no, the game has a consistent theme. How terrible.

Consistency doesn't equate to Quality, even though they have the same initial sound when you say them out loud; I can understand your confusion.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Drifter posted:

Even LIARA, a long-lived omni/a(?)-sexual telepathic/empathic citizen of an alien race of stripper chicks, who doesn't even have a father, had stereotypical daddy issues of abandonment.

Of course Liara has a father. Anthropocentric bag of dicks.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

CaptainCarrot posted:

Of course Liara has a father. Anthropocentric bag of dicks.
"Can you do something about this guy before I rip out his spine and beat him to death with it? That tends to make the other customers nervous." Too bad you can't take Aethyta into the combat simulator, I'd pay good money to see that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drifter posted:

Consistency doesn't equate to Quality, even though they have the same initial sound when you say them out loud; I can understand your confusion.

Do you have an opinion on the quality then? Pointing out that every major character has issues with a father/creator figure is just basic observation, not criticism, no matter how dismissively you phrase it.

Forseeable Fuchsia
Dec 28, 2011
I just picked up the trilogy for PC after playing through the series a while ago (and never quite finishing 3) on Xbox. I've been reading that the PC versions don't have controller support? What's the deal with that? I play games from my couch a lot, any way I can use a controller with these games?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Looks like all the story DLC for Mass Effect 2 and 3 is on sale for Xbox 360 this week. Deals look to be live through the website right now. Overlord doesn't look like it's part of the sale yet though. May be an oversight.

This may be the last 360 fire sale for those last few DLC sale holdouts.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 23, 2014

mr crow
Mar 5, 2009
Ok so I just spent a couple hours trying to figure out what boolean to change toget emails/Citadel encounters with Miranda. No dice. Despite doin all the warnings/meetings/assets for her, she still died. So I changed one variable and she seems to have now survived in my save file. However, she won't show up in my emails and I can't get a meet up prompt from her at the apartment (she's invitable to the party tho).

Anybody have any ideas/suggestions?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Actually play the game rather than try to tweak a save file?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Miranda dying is a cooler scene anyway.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I can't be the only one who likes Miranda am I? She's basically Trinity from the Matrix, but with cool biotic powers.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Trinity was good until she started to "fall in love" with Neo, the rest of the movie she sucked.
(one of the most unconvincing romances in movies)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

sitchelin posted:

I can't be the only one who likes Miranda am I? She's basically Trinity from the Matrix, but with cool biotic powers.

I don't hate her, but she doesn't really add much to anything other than gratuitous rear end shots.

Also, I liked how they lampshaded the whole daddy-issues thing with EDI after the Cerberus Base mission.

• Locked thread