Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

^ absolutely spot on, Ciaphas and Door Frame.

I think the mental aspect of being fat is one that people who have never been obese cannot comprehend like, AT ALL. If you've only ever been 10 or 20 lbs overweight, then of course you know that your beer gut is because you're lazy and have one too many taquitos or whatever and you could totally have a six pack if you'd just apply yourself but man, your job is just so hard and there's no time to go to the gym and oh man, look at that hambeast over there! My god she's hideous! Jesus Christ get the gently caress up off the couch and do something! Man I am glad I'm not so fat and lazy that I'd ever let myself get like that, I mean I have love handles and everything but goddamn I don't have a gunt drat I feel better about myself now, time to go get some more beer.

Couple crippling mental issues with a serious lack of good mental care available and practically nil mental health practitioners who treat obese patients and it's a trifecta of "Welcome to being fat for the rest of your life".

I wanted to do a write up about the confusing nature of mental health treatment, but then my own treatment went south and I felt like talking about it would be dumb or hypocritical or something. I deleted all the stuff I had, so here's the short version

Basically even the way that mental illness is understood leads to problems with treatment. Ask an MD, a therapist and a neurologist what causes something common like depression and you'll get three radically different answers, and their opinions on the cause will inform your care. Mix that with the very limited availability of mental health professionals and you have a recipe for disaster. The average wait time to see a psychiatrist is 3 months in America, that's on top of the difficulty that most people have even realize that they have an issue, then the time it takes to go from "I have a problem" to "I need help" and you get a depression that has entrenched itself deep into your life and very difficult to treat. It's no bueno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

The Door Frame posted:

the time it takes to go from "I have a problem" to "I need help"

Easily 10 years for me. Probably more.

My very first inkling that I might have an issue with food was when I was 10 or so. I had made some salt dough to play with and was sitting at the kitchen table making stuff with it when I got an overwhelming urge to eat the stuff. An absolute, uncontrollable urge to eat what I knew was just salt and flour. I shoved some in my mouth and immediately spat it out (it was foul, obviously) and I remember thinking "Hm, that was weird, I wonder why I did that?" My introspection didn't go beyond that thought but years later when I was getting treatment I remembered the episode and realized that my problems with food went way further back than I suspected.

SO yeah, here's an incident that happened when I was 10 years old, and it took until I was 29 for something to finally click and go "I need help for this problem". What do you get with an untreated food issue for 19 years? Fat. Fat is what you get.

Having been weightlifting for five plus years and being really immersed in exercise stuff I think that the lack of customization of nutrition/exercise programs is one half of the huge issue with trying to gain control back over food. Drop into YLLS anytime and there are people much more well read than I arguing about if quantity or quality of calories is more important, what your macros should be, if you can ever eat a piece of cake again, how much cardio should you be doing (incline or no incline), how much lifting should you do, fasted or not fasted, and on and on and on. When you're still in crisis mode about your weight and eating, reading all of these different things going "This is the best! "No, THIS is the best", "No you guys THIS IS THE BEST" makes losing weight seem like a huge thing that HAS TO BE DONE PERFECTLY SO CHOOSE WISELY OR DO NOT CHOOSE AT ALL. Not choosing at all becomes easier than potentially "choosing poorly" and trying for a week and then bingeing and falling off of the wagon again.

I promise that every single obese person you have ever seen in your life has tried dieting. Probably multiple times. They've probably had a couple of "good" days, hell maybe even a week or longer, but sooner than later it becomes too much, the depression and the overwhelming feeling that they're "stuck" will become too strong and they'll fall off the wagon. At that point it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy- "Look at how fat and pathetic I am, I can't even stick to a diet, I'm worthless, at least eating food tastes good and momentarily makes me forget my pain."

So imagine going through that cycle 5 or 10 or 15 times, and realize that's how it gets ingrained into a fat person's head that THEY WILL NEVER NOT BE FAT SO WHY EVEN loving BOTHER?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Then imagine you've actually done it. For the first time in your life you've had some success at being less fat. You've lost 30 lb, but still have like 50 to go, and then suddenly something isn't right. You're very, very tired. Like so tired that you can no longer cook the things or lift the weights or walk the threadmill that lost you that 30 lb. And it keeps getting worse... like for months... and you gain a few pounds back and are super frustrated and can't get help (long story, still working on that). All you read about weight loss is "cook good stuff" and "exercise." And you start getting angry because you used to do those things, but now you're no longer ABLE to. So, sure, people look at you and think "she's fat and lazy," but they have no idea what's going on.

I've got backstory involving food insecurity, medications, depression, and food/fat shaming; and now I'm quite ill and have been since February. I used to be skinny, but never knew it, and now I'm not.

One of my biggest problems with being fat is that I hate getting dressed. I honestly think I look better naked than with clothes on because I hate shopping and don't really know how or want to put for the effort to dress myself properly.

Maybe the worst fatty problem, though, is that's is so incredibly hard to decide what to eat. I think what "normal" people will never understand is that for a fat person, every meal can be an anxiety-inducing event involving a variety of emotions from glee to despair. Sometimes I think I just don't even want to deal with eating, but I have to. Have to. And gently caress that sucks. Edit to add: Perhaps this is why many fat people go on auto-pilot for meals... just don't think about it because we can't deal with the emotional rollercoaster for every loving meal.

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 19, 2014

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

psychokitty posted:

Maybe the worst fatty problem, though, is that's is so incredibly hard to decide what to eat. I think what "normal" people will never understand is that for a fat person, every meal can be an anxiety-inducing event involving a variety of emotions from glee to despair. Sometimes I think I just don't even want to deal with eating, but I have to. Have to. And gently caress that sucks. Edit to add: Perhaps this is why many fat people go on auto-pilot for meals... just don't think about it because we can't deal with the emotional rollercoaster for every loving meal.

Yes, yes yes yes yes yes.

Eating is such an emotionally charged thing in society- it's sharing, it's nurturing, it's comfort, it's showing love and affection, it's coming together with friends, it's coming together with family, it's got a lot of societal pressures attached to it. So imagine that eating is mental torture, and then imagine having to eat (because you have to in order to exist) but every single time you eat, you go through that mental torture, and then spoon the societal expectations on top of that, and it's just disaster all day every day.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

psychokitty posted:

Why not just plan all your meals in advanced? I know the forums poo poo on it, but hell, something like a soylent diet could work for you for 1-2 meals a day. They're really just glorified protein shakes.

I have literally eaten the same thing on every single workday breakfast for the last 3 months. I make them all on sunday nights, so monday morning I can dump one into a blender with some juice and call it good.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

TLG James posted:

Why not just plan all your meals in advanced? I know the forums poo poo on it, but hell, something like a soylent diet could work for you for 1-2 meals a day. They're really just glorified protein shakes.

I have literally eaten the same thing on every single workday breakfast for the last 3 months. I make them all on sunday nights, so monday morning I can dump one into a blender with some juice and call it good.

Issues, social, cravings, feelings, choices, family, eating disorder, love food, hate food, always hungry, shakes aren't food, setup for binge, restriction leads to rebellion... and on and on. Is why not.

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 19, 2014

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009

psychokitty posted:

Issues, social, cravings, feelings, choices, family, eating disorder, love food, hate food, always hungry, shakes aren't food, setup for binge, restriction leads to rebellion... and on and on. Is why not.

None of that is actually preventing you doing it though. They're just reasons you use because you don't want to do it. Society and your brain etc tell you all sorts of stupid poo poo but you don't have to actually do it if you don't want to.

Disclaimer: not accepting 'eating disorder' as a legitimate excuse in the vast majority of cases.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

TLG James posted:

Here's the mental process:

"I have got chicken and rice in the fridge, perfectly weighed and portioned, so there's no way I'll gently caress up my diet today."
"Oh, sure, I'll have some Cheeze-Its as a snack, I couldn't eat that many and I still have that chicken for dinner so I'm still doing well."
"Well, I ate a half box of Cheeze-Its, and that Mcdonald's is on the way home.... may as well pick something up and have that chicken for lunch tomorrow, I'll be fine."
Alternatively,
"Well, I totally hosed up my diet so drat bad today. poo poo, I need to feel better, I'm going to get $15 worth of Taco Bell, that'll satisfy me"
That's every drat day for a lot of people. It is tiny little decisions that gently caress every attempt because 90% of the time you either don't realize that you are making them or rationalize them away because "you're still good". It's possible to change, I've got on the weight loss thing once and got down to a 28" waist on a 6'2" 165 lb man, had a mental breakdown, gained 50 lbs and 5" on the waist, but I'm back down 20 lbs and mostly fitting into my pants again. It's just a long uphill battle that requires not one big push, but hundreds of tiny ones that are easy to fail on

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Tibor posted:

None of that is actually preventing you doing it though. They're just reasons you use because you don't want to do it. Society and your brain etc tell you all sorts of stupid poo poo but you don't have to actually do it if you don't want to.

Disclaimer: not accepting 'eating disorder' as a legitimate excuse in the vast majority of cases.

I'd like to remind you that this isn't a fat-shaming thread, and that my answer to "why not have soylent diet 1-2 meals a day every day" is totally reasonable. If you loved food enough that you ate way too much of it and got fat, do you think you'd be willing to "eat" a shake for most every meal? This is why SlimFast is fail. Food is much more than mere sustenance, especially for people with food issues, as much as I have wished and wished and wished that it weren't. If I could be happy and satisfied taking a nutriment pill every day, don't you think I'd loving do it? I'd have to be incredibly depressed, almost suicidal, to not want to eat yummy food. In fact, I've been there and it sucked.

Also, like I said in my first post, and this is totally personal to me, I literally do not have the energy to plan and cook every meal due to chronic illness. I was able to stick with meal planning and cooking when I was well, so I know it's possible, but I was also exercising, which helps a lot with the mental poo poo. I no longer have that ability currently.

And what does this mean "Disclaimer: not accepting 'eating disorder' as a legitimate excuse in the vast majority of cases." That eating disorders aren't legitimate? Or are you having trouble with English and I'm misinterpreting what you said?

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 19, 2014

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

TLG James posted:

I don't have a lot of respect for Soylent because the guy who came up with it sounds like a clueless fool, but I have a meal-replacement thing I drink sometimes. For a while I was drinking it every day (supplemented with a real home-cooked meal and a couple of snacks), now I tend to drink it if for example I'm going out after work and I know that I won't get to eat dinner until late at night, so I won't end up starving and demoralized. That's totally fine, and probably helpful for someone who is just ignorant about how to feed himself day-to-day, but it doesn't really address the real problem of eating that's driven by psychological pathology.

psychokitty posted:

One of my biggest problems with being fat is that I hate getting dressed. I honestly think I look better naked than with clothes on because I hate shopping and don't really know how or want to put for the effort to dress myself properly.

Clothes are the worst. At my biggest, though, naked was also completely horrible. The only acceptable way to catch a glimpse of myself was wrapped up in blankets.

Tibor posted:

Why are you even in this thread? Does your personal experience as an obese person consist of being an uninformed jerk?

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009
It means that I don't accept 'eating disorder' as an excuse for obesity in most of the people who claim it because most of these people are confusing greed and sadness with an actual, serious medical issue. I'm not saying I'm right, but it's how I, and a lot of other people, feel.

Edit: Not obese, never have been. I adore food but it's bad in excess so I don't eat too much, even though that's a difficult thing to do.

Clearly this has turned into a fat acceptance thread though so I'll leave you all to wallow in your inability to go for a walk (unless it's to the shops to buy chocolate) and your inability to stop eating (though mysteriously you feel no compulsion to wolf down vegetables). Go ahead and rag on thin, healthy people because they only stayed or got that way by not having a mental disorder (and apparently not having access to society, or access to the idea that food is love and is comfort and is sociable and not having hectic lifestyles and not being remotely shy or self-conscious).

Tibor fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 19, 2014

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Tibor posted:

I'm going to judge you for overeating, question your motives and not believe anything you say because I can't think of another reason for weight gain besides pure gluttony

Why would you even ask the question if you don't want to listen to the central point that every response is telling you? If it was for validation on your beliefs about greed and laziness, you've come to the wrong place.
I've seen 23 year old man who was 400 lbs, who needed a special gurney to leave his room because the regular one wasn't able to support his weight, too wide to get a complete CT scan without having his stomach folds taped to his chest, and get told by a team of doctors that he would need to start losing weight if the massive abscess on his thigh from the inability to properly clean himself wasn't the only thing that the surgeon would be taking off, turn and eat an entire bag of Taco Bell once the doctors left. Please tell me how greedy he and the massive amount of people like him are.
I was part of a group of 12 people moving a 700 lb patient so that she could be adequately cleaned after making GBS threads herself on her specialty bed because she couldn't walk 2 feet to the specialty toilet that was ordered to support her weight, only to have her complain that they weren't giving her enough food on her meal trays. And then to see her again 2 years later with one leg missing everything below the knee because of the gangrene that ate her leg, still complaining that she got diet 7up instead of regular 7up
Please, tell me how mentally sound those thought processes are, because it couldn't be mental illness that has someone eat a 2,000 kcal meal when they have heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and failing joints before they turn 35
Please let us all know the ease at which weight can be lost when you have never known anything your entire life besides overeating

Go to the GBS thread if you just want to poke at fatties for being fat, but don't be an rear end here

E: I don't think a single person here has anything good to say about being overweight, like at all, but if this makes you feel like you've won an argument on the Internet, shine on you crazy diamond

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 20, 2014

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Tibor posted:

It means that I don't accept 'eating disorder' as an excuse for obesity in most of the people who claim it because most of these people are confusing greed and sadness with an actual, serious medical issue. I'm not saying I'm right, but it's how I, and a lot of other people, feel.

Edit: Not obese, never have been. I adore food but it's bad in excess so I don't eat too much, even though that's a difficult thing to do.

Clearly this has turned into a fat acceptance thread though so I'll leave you all to wallow in your inability to go for a walk (unless it's to the shops to buy chocolate) and your inability to stop eating (though mysteriously you feel no compulsion to wolf down vegetables). Go ahead and rag on thin, healthy people because they only stayed or got that way by not having a mental disorder (and apparently not having access to society, or access to the idea that food is love and is comfort and is sociable and not having hectic lifestyles and not being remotely shy or self-conscious).

Every fat post here that went into detail stressed in one way or another that mental health issues were a gigantic part of it. If your central premise is "i don't accept that mental health problems are a part of it" you are wasting everybody's time.

If you have difficulty imagining mental health problems, feel free to ask specific questions.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
This thread was not intended as a fat people safe space thread. It was merely a step up from the already excellent fat(acceptance)-shaming thread, which I will remind everyone was responsible for getting at least a few people to change their thinking if not their diet. It's also not a thread to discuss mental health issues or reguritate related fatthought, it is specifically to expand on the surprising problems and misconceptions unique to fat people that may not have occured to the thin so that they can tailor their advice to be more helpful. Honestly it should be the other way around, because what is rarely talked about is just how good it is to be in a healthy body, how great it feels to be making progress and how much that reinforces self confidence and critical thinking and represents a healthy dose of reality. Fat people become accustomed to a state of disease and think its normal and thereby automatically discount the very real emotional and healh benefits of being a healthy weight.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 20, 2014

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Flaky posted:

It's also not a thread to discuss mental health issues or reguritate related fatthought, it is specifically to expand on the surprising problems and misconceptions unique to fat people that may not have occured to the thin so that they can tailor their advice to be more helpful.

I'm trying to determine if you are demonstrating either a sociopathic lack of empathy or just a lack of basic reading comprehension. This thread has multiple first party examples of how depresion andmental health issues play a major role in how people become and/or stay fat. To try to seperate the mental issues from the physical state demonstrates that you have a willful disregard for some of the key reasons people struggle with weight loss. Go find a fat shaming thread and get your jollies off in there.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Flaky posted:

This thread was not intended as a fat people safe space thread. It was merely a step up from the already excellent fat(acceptance)-shaming thread, which I will remind everyone was responsible for getting at least a few people to change their thinking if not their diet. It's also not a thread to discuss mental health issues or reguritate related fatthought, it is specifically to expand on the surprising problems and misconceptions unique to fat people that may not have occured to the thin so that they can tailor their advice to be more helpful. Honestly it should be the other way around, because what is rarely talked about is just how good it is to be in a healthy body, how great it feels to be making progress and how much that reinforces self confidence and critical thinking and represents a healthy dose of reality. Fat people become accustomed to a state of disease and think its normal and thereby automatically discount the very real emotional and healh benefits of being a healthy weight.

I am sure all obese people know that it is better being thin, that's why they attempt to diet. The problems are obvious. Having to stop on the stairs and pant, missing trains and buses because they can't waddle fast enough, etc. And if they somehow miss all of that, Tibor will help them with useful advice like "lose some weight fattie"

Being obese, going on a diet and sticking to it for a month will result in the person still being.... obese. It takes more than half a year to lose even 50 pounds (2 pounds per week is a about the best you can expect). It's a completely different scenario to the people who skip dessert and go for a jog so they can fit their favourite jeans.

Keeping yourself in a 2 pounds per week diet for a year is a serious challenge, even for the mentally healthy and basically impossible for anyone else. Mental issues are relevant to the thread.

I suspect if people could see new benefits every week, diets would be much more successful.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dongsturm posted:

I am sure all obese people know that it is better being thin, that's why they attempt to diet. The problems are obvious. Having to stop on the stairs and pant, missing trains and buses because they can't waddle fast enough, etc. And if they somehow miss all of that, Tibor will help them with useful advice like "lose some weight fattie"

Being obese, going on a diet and sticking to it for a month will result in the person still being.... obese. It takes more than half a year to lose even 50 pounds (2 pounds per week is a about the best you can expect). It's a completely different scenario to the people who skip dessert and go for a jog so they can fit their favourite jeans.

Keeping yourself in a 2 pounds per week diet for a year is a serious challenge, even for the mentally healthy and basically impossible for anyone else. Mental issues are relevant to the thread.

I suspect if people could see new benefits every week, diets would be much more successful.

The real problem, as I have been trying to point out in most of my posts in the thread is that by confining oneself to only thinking about one narrow subject, whether it is changing diet or getting therapy or whatever single issue a fat person is convinced that they need to fix to suddenly get thin, they are setting themselves up to fail because they do not see themselves as enmeshed in a socio-economic situation that simply promotes being fat. People cant afford therapy, therefore they do not get therapy, even if this would help them. People cannot afford to change their diet, therefore no amount of willpower will be able to allow them to make the changes permanent. People are stuck in their sedentary jobs and entertainments, and it is neither easy nor cheap to change them. People are shackled to their unhealthy mode of transportation. People are shackled by their poor level of education and the completely inaccurate messaging they recieve every drat day. I don't really care whether they perceive running up against those obstacles as 'depression' or 'issues with food' or whatever. Most people get depressed for a good reason - they correctly feel powerless to make changes in their life because of exactly those reasons I just listed. Before you can begin to use your critical thinking to come up with simple, affordable, useful, realistic ways of addressing their personal circumstance fat people really need to appreciate the scale of the problem they are facing.

I know this because I am coming at it from exactly the opposite point of view as I said; I have had every single loving opportunity to look after body, from good education, good healthcare system so no prior medical complications, plenty of disposable income, plenty of spare time, no other commitments, a safe and well designed city that encourages bicycle-commuting, free access to excellent information and advice and motivation(YLLS) and most importantly cheap access to a quality gym and I still didn't get the message until it was almost too late that there was anything wrong with how I was living. I have seen the effect of my good fortune rubbing off on others around me; I am proud to say that I helped my younger sister to overcome lingering self-confidence issues related to body-image due to her weight by modelling healthy choices because I knew she wouldn't have those same advantages to learn from that I had. The first time she came home from the gym and admitted she had done some squats after holding out for a good year or so ("oh, i don't want to get bulky!!!")was a truly proud moment for me (though I made sure she didn't know this). She was hobbling around in her dressing gown the day after complaining exactly the way I used to when I started. I didn't have to tell her to do anything - infact there was no surer way than that to make her do the opposite - I merely set a good example. Very much to her credit she took the ball and ran with it. I no longer feel anxious for her future because I know that she now has a solid foundation of experience of how good being a healthy weight is after a lifetime of being teased or ignored or put-down, and she is now prepared to make considerable short term sacrifices to achieve a worthwhile long term goal on her own. In time she will apply her own lessons and start working on bringing those barrier costs down by doing things like riding a bicycle and cooking healthy meals (she has already shown independent interest in both).

I hear all the talk about mental health issues, but really I just dont think it is all that useful, and can even be a way of making it the fat persons fault again. This is why fat-acceptance is so tragic, in trying to put on a brave face it just demonstrates how helpless and confused these people really are.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 20, 2014

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Flaky posted:

The real problem, as I have been trying to point out in most of my posts in the thread is that by confining oneself to only thinking about one narrow subject, whether it is changing diet or getting therapy or whatever single issue a fat person is convinced that they need to fix to suddenly get thin, they are setting themselves up to fail because they do not see themselves as enmeshed in a socio-economic situation that simply promotes being fat. People cant afford therapy, therefore they do not get therapy, even if this would help them. People cannot afford to change their diet, therefore no amount of willpower will be able to allow them to make the changes permanent. People are stuck in their sedentary jobs and entertainments, and it is neither easy nor cheap to change them. People are shackled to their unhealthy mode of transportation. People are shackled by their poor level of education and the completely inaccurate messaging they recieve every drat day. I don't really care whether they perceive running up against those obstacles as 'depression' or 'issues with food' or whatever. Most people get depressed for a good reason - they correctly feel powerless to make changes in their life because of exactly those reasons I just listed. Before you can begin to use your critical thinking to come up with simple, affordable, useful, realistic ways of addressing their personal circumstance fat people really need to appreciate the scale of the problem they are facing.

I know this because I am coming at it from exactly the opposite point of view as I said; I have had every single loving opportunity to look after body, from good education, good healthcare system so no prior medical complications, plenty of disposable income, plenty of spare time, no other commitments, a safe and well designed city that encourages bicycle-commuting, free access to excellent information and advice and motivation(YLLS) and most importantly cheap access to a quality gym and I still didn't get the message until it was almost too late that there was anything wrong with how I was living. I have seen the effect of my good fortune rubbing off on others around me; I am proud to say that I helped my younger sister to overcome lingering self-confidence issues related to body-image due to her weight by modelling healthy choices because I knew she wouldn't have those same advantages to learn from that I had. The first time she came home from the gym and admitted she had done some squats after holding out for a good year or so ("oh, i don't want to get bulky!!!")was a truly proud moment for me (though I made sure she didn't know this). She was hobbling around in her dressing gown the day after complaining exactly the way I used to when I started. I didn't have to tell her to do anything - infact there was no surer way than that to make her do the opposite - I merely set a good example. Very much to her credit she took the ball and ran with it. I no longer feel anxious for her future because I know that she now has a solid foundation of experience of how good being a healthy weight is after a lifetime of being teased or ignored or put-down, and she is now prepared to make considerable short term sacrifices to achieve a worthwhile long term goal on her own. In time she will apply her own lessons and start working on bringing those barrier costs down by doing things like riding a bicycle and cooking healthy meals (she has already shown independent interest in both).

I hear all the talk about mental health issues, but really I just dont think it is all that useful, and can even be a way of making it the fat persons fault again. This is why fat-acceptance is so tragic, in trying to put on a brave face it just demonstrates how helpless and confused these people really are.

I changed my mind. You need to eat a salad and go for a jog, fatty.

E:I have absolutely no idea what the dick you are talking about, but I am certain that I want to be on the opposite side of any argument you make.

Dongsturm fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 20, 2014

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dongsturm posted:

I changed my mind. You need to eat a salad and go for a jog, fatty.

E:I have absolutely no idea what the dick you are talking about, but I am certain that I want to be on the opposite side of any argument you make.

Changed your mind about what exactly? Your entire previous post is completely incoherent. What fat people have maintained a diet for a month? Be specific please, give concrete examples. Or examples of people who have tried to squeeze into a pair of jeans after not eating a dessert? Is missing trains because they cant waddle fast enough really the top concern of anyone? Where did the idea that unless you are losing 2 pounds a week you are doing it wrong come from?

Your post is completely retarded. Maybe you should consider why you are propagating ridiculous scenarios with no basis in reality. Like go back and ask what the point of your post was that I quoted. I am pretty sure you wont even remember what it was you were trying to say. Lol eat a salad and go do a single session of cardio for no reason what kind of retarded advice is that?

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Flaky posted:

Did you just walk into a thread full of people talking about how much their lives suck, and tell them they don't understand how amazing other peoples lives are?

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Jazu posted:

Did you just walk into a thread full of people talking about how much their lives suck, and tell them they don't understand how amazing other peoples lives are?

What would be the point of reading such a thread? Maybe go back and read the OP if you are confused about the type of thread you are in. Here's a precis: the OP gained 30 pounds and it was so awful that he decided to get a degree and start a career in helping fat people to become not fat. Clearly your extensive contribution to the thread gives you the right to tell others they aren't playing by your rules though.

Ed. I would avoid the OPs second post where he literally compares fat people to heroin addicts though!

Flaky fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 20, 2014

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Flaky posted:

Ed. I would avoid the OPs second post where he literally compares fat people to heroin addicts though!

Precisely why we should avoid your posts.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

psychokitty posted:

Precisely why we should avoid your posts.

Maybe just read the start of the thread too while you are at it because clearly you dont recognise when someone is trying to help you. At least that way you will avoid wallowing in these idiotic anecdotes and shitposting seeing as most of the people the thread was made for (ie. ex- or recovering fat people) are no longer contributing.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Twee as gently caress posted:

Please, if you want to mock fat people, fat-shame or tell people to exercise more, go to GBS and do it there. I want testimonies and for people to explain what they are going through/went through, I don't want them attacked for sharing their experiences. Thank you. This is A/T so A/T rules apply here.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Flaky posted:

What fat people have maintained a diet for a month? Be specific please, give concrete examples.

Hi? How do you think people lose weight?

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

FoolyCharged posted:

Hi? How do you think people lose weight?

Its all right here, by the second poster in the thread. Jesus christ have any of you read even the first page?

vyst posted:

What made you turn it around?
-It's hard to really pinpoint this. It's not nearly as complex and thought provoking as you think it might be. This wasn't my first go around with trying to lose weight. I've been trying off and on my whole life but I never really got a strategy to stick long term.

How did you start to lose weight? What exercises could you do, or was it all diet initially?
-I started off with basically just cardio. I did elliptical cardio starting with 15 minutes, and worked my weigh up each week till I could do about 30 minutes without stopping. I'm no stranger to exercise and weight rooms so for my size I was in relatively decent shape all things considered. I knew my way around the weight room so I wanted to get down to a weight where I could do weights comfortably which ended up being around 325 lbs. As for my diet I just stuck to the things I knew worked - high protein, low net carbs (or good carbs with fiber like fruits/vegetables/beans), good fats, low saturated fats, low calorie (early on i kept it around 1700 calories now I'm down to about 1200-1300)

What do you think someone could have said to you to make you want to start earlier? What do you think you could say to someone in a similar situation?
-This is a good question - I don't think there's anything anyone could have done now that I ponder it. I think you have to find the spark yourself, inside of you. Find the reason to lose weight that is a reason you can hold onto in any circumstances. People often want to lose weight to fit into bikinis or to look better to attract the opposite sex and those are definitely cool benefits of losing weight but at the end of the day you have to be able to look yourself in the mirror and understand what you are doing is for YOU and nobody else. Because you're the one that has to answer to yourself.

I am not going to say 'it really is that simple'. That is what the thread is for, finding out why people find it hard to do these things I have bolded- that is to say why they find it hard to lose weight. Because there is no other way to do that.

ed. second poster, not second post

Flaky fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 20, 2014

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Flaky posted:

Its all right here, in the second post of the thread. Jesus christ have any of you read even the first page?

GTFO

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So we can go back to talking about how bowling is just such great exercise and has never lead to an increase in alcohol or junk food consumption?

Or more pointless anecdotes about people flying? I flew to France recently, flying isn't something I do regularly so my weight and that of my co-passengers didn't even occur to me. There, that is my pointless flying anecdote. One thing I will say about the French though, they are a lot skinnier than Australians. Must be because they are less depressed!

Flaky fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 20, 2014

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I used to fly regularly and the only way to comfortably fly coach is to take a flight that leaves godawfully early in the morning and getting an entire row to yourself. Also, the people who recline their chairs with someone behind them on coach are horrible sadists. Never really felt like my weight was a huge issue even when I was around 100lbs overweight simply because I knew everyone feels packed in like sardines anyway.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Flaky posted:

What fat people have maintained a diet for a month? Be specific please, give concrete examples.
I've "maintained a diet" for nearly a year and a half now, and I'm still fat. Considerably less fat, having lost 115 lbs, but still fat at 195 lbs.

That concrete enough for ya? Dick?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Tibor posted:

I heard about this the other day and wondered whether the process might be working the other way around. So, instead of fat people getting greedier and lazier because they're shamed, the kind of fat people who are inclined to be increasingly greedy and lazy are more prone to incur shaming. Not saying it's true but personally I don't care in the slightest if you're fat but if you're stuffing your face with abandon and being a slob, you're acting in a way I think is shameful and you're also likely to be putting on weight. If you're fat but sometimes eat normally and move around you're not acting shamefully and are also likely to be losing weight. Just a thought. But then I don't buy into the idea that most fat people are mentally ill, either.

Do you ever worry that going out of your way to be this petty and spiteful might your soul into a little pellet of rat poo poo

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

runupon cracker posted:

Fat checking in. 6'1" 41-yo male, 215 lbs right now, was around 310 lbs at peak.

What made you turn it around?
- ...I just started eating less volume and exercising every now and then...

How did you start to lose weight? What exercises could you do, or was it all diet initially?

...I got myself a treadmill...
...I made a rule that I'm not to be interrupted while working out...
...To get around my complete and utter lack of willpower I got all the junk food out of the house and stopped drinking pop completely...
...did an assload of research. I realized that the biggest thing I was missing was tracking the calories in and out...
...So I started weighing, measuring, and recording calories in and out, and making sure I carried my deficit. I stopped cutting out the foods I had been cutting because they were "bad", and just made sure my macros were where they should be...
... started lifting...look forward to my lift days and enjoy the feeling I get afterwards. Seems kinda odd...

What do you think someone could have said to you to make you want to start earlier? What do you think you could say to someone in a similar situation?

Nothing. I'd heard it all before. It wasn't what I needed to hear, it was what I needed to believe.

How do you feel about the fat-shaming thread in GBS? Do you read it at all/frequently? Is it a motivation or source of shame or motivation through shame?

I get a lot of enjoyment out of the thread. I enjoy stirring poo poo up in there every now and then (read: on a nearly daily basis). Despite that, I agree with most of the messages in the thread.

The first, best way to fight any kind of social ill is by education, and that thread is very educational if nothing else, so kudos in that sense.

I think there are a few people in that thread who genuinely hate fat people for being fat

Idk for someone who seems to agree with everything I said, fat(acceptance)-shaming included, you seem to be a little hostile? Also, I wasn't asking for your personal anecdotes, even if they do confirm literally everything I have said.

Also you are not really 'on' a diet anymore, you have successfully changed your diet, which is the point. Congratulations on the weight loss and lifestyle changes.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 21, 2014

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

swamp waste posted:

Do you ever worry that going out of your way to be this petty and spiteful might your soul into a little pellet of rat poo poo

It is a completely reasonable suggestion; the article on the last page states that it "cannot conclusively confirm that the positive association observed between discrimination and weight gain is causal". Which you would know if you had bothered to read it of course.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Decision Fatigue is a real thing too. When I changed jobs to a much less stressful job it was a lot easier for me to lose weight even though not much else changed in my life.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision_fatigue

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Unrelated to the current conversation, I am still walking 30 minutes a day and am working with a dietician. I'm down 20 lbs so far, and I'm joining a few friends who workout 5 times per week starting tomorrow.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Godsped posted:

Unrelated to the current conversation, I am still walking 30 minutes a day and am working with a dietician. I'm down 20 lbs so far, and I'm joining a few friends who workout 5 times per week starting tomorrow.

:unsmith: :hfive:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Flaky posted:

finding out why people find it hard to do these things I have bolded- that is to say why they find it hard to lose weight. Because there is no other way to do that.

ed. second poster, not second post

Because crippling depression creates situations where doing anything but the easiest thing can cause extreme to the point of crippling anxiety. It's a thing most people with depression deal with, and you can see it in many facets of life, not just fatties getting fat.

Whenever I'm on a down phase it's much easier to just do nothing and deal with the emergencies that crop up from that than it is to take routine preventative maintenance (In the case of fat people: Working out). This is why binge diets are so popular, and so doomed to failure. They only require short bursts of initiative.

Alterian posted:

Decision Fatigue is a real thing too. When I changed jobs to a much less stressful job it was a lot easier for me to lose weight even though not much else changed in my life.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision_fatigue

Definitely a thing.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 22, 2014

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
This lovely honeypot thread will be allowed to continue to exist ONLY if it is exclusively people volunteering their pathetic fat stories.
If you don't have your own personal pathetic fat story about yourself, you get banned, and the thread gets closed. If your pathetic fat story becomes advice, exhortation, or ex-fat story, you get banned and the thread will be closed.

As many of you are aware, there are plenty of other places to punch down, play internet Richard Simmons, or post your miraculous transformation. This is not that place.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 22, 2014

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Thanks for laying the smack down.

Also, I'd like to reiterate that if anyone wants to talk and doesn't feel comfortable piping up in this thread I am happy to take PM's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravos
Jul 28, 2012

Wealth beyond measure, outlander.
I mostly lurk, but goddam is this a good thread. I'm overweight, bordering on obese. I don't know how much I weigh or how tall I am, suffice to say I am fat. I don't think I have any deep underlying issue of eating to mask pain or anything like that, I just eat too much and I exercise too little. Like everyone else, it's difficult to find the energy to cook and do dishes every day when I can just blow through the drive-thru on the way home.

Last year I got a second-hand bike and began riding 8 miles or so a few times a week. I'm really enjoying it; it's the first kind of exercise I've done that I actualy like. PE (or gym) classes in school were just awful for me. The exercises I was made to do were just painful. And I was always picked last. So from then on, I associated exercise with pain. Stories the PE coaches would tell of a "runner's high" and other ways working out would eventually get easier rang hollow to me. It was only ever awful and painful.

Until I got this bike and began riding it regularly. I'm not working out for some coach yelling at me, I'm working out for myself and for my family, so I can have as much time with them as possible. I finally found an exercise I enjoy, and I feel really lucky. I'm not sure how much weight I've lost, since I don't own a scale, but people do tell me the difference is noticeable. I did have a gym membership for a while, but I found it such a chore, like a rat spinning in a wheel. It wasn't much better than PE for me.

It's still difficult at times, I definitely don't claim to have solved every issue. I occasionally find it a challenge to squeeze a good bike ride in between everything else we all have to take care of. But so far, it's working out well.

Ravos fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 2, 2014

• Locked thread