Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Could one of you post a newegg link to a 970 "cooler" for those who have no loving clue what one is, or what a good one should look like?

Look at a videocard. Does it have a big heatsink and fans on it? That's a cooler.

Good ones involve the MSI Twin Frozr model (not the blue one), the Asus Strix model, and apparently the Gigabyte model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hace posted:

Look at a videocard. Does it have a big heatsink and fans on it? That's a cooler.

Good ones involve the MSI Twin Frozr model (not the blue one), the Asus Strix model, and apparently the Gigabyte model.

That's what I figured but how do you know if one is Good or Bad?

I own this right now, is it alright? Has fans and fins.
http://www.ncix.com/detail/evga-geforce-gtx-760-ftw-06-88987-1360.htm?gclid=CO6W8fOa88ACFQERaQodaUsAbw

Looks pretty good to me but I am a non-technical woman or childe.

EDIT: I know the card itself is old, but as for the cooling on it, would this be considered good or bad?

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 21, 2014

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I have a GTX970 on the way. Think it's worth keeping my GTX660 for PhysX? I wouldn't think so but I'm going to try it before I sell the old card anyway.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

TomR posted:

I have a GTX970 on the way. Think it's worth keeping my GTX660 for PhysX? I wouldn't think so but I'm going to try it before I sell the old card anyway.

Worth it in what sense?

You already own it and the additional power draw should be extremely minimal. I use a 650Ti for PhysX (by which I mean Borderlands 2 and soon the pre-sequel, the Metro games, and also the Batman games) alongside my 780Ti. It handles everything pretty much effortlessly (a very heavy PhysX scene might get it up to 22% usage or so, and it takes a SHITLOAD of emitters before it starts slowing down in Fluidmark too).

I used to use a GTX 580 and it was insane overkill - the 650Ti is a performance analog to the 560Ti, more or less, in games - though Kepler's lower end cards seem to handle videogame PhysX better than Fermi lower end cards, and the power savings when the card is idle are boss compared to older generations. Not Maxwell boss, but, you know, pretty alright.

Worth it in the sense that virtually no games use PhysX? Well that's up to you I guess :v:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

That's what I figured but how do you know if one is Good or Bad?

I own this right now, is it alright? Has fans and fins.
http://www.ncix.com/detail/evga-geforce-gtx-760-ftw-06-88987-1360.htm?gclid=CO6W8fOa88ACFQERaQodaUsAbw

Looks pretty good to me but I am a non-technical woman or childe.

EDIT: I know the card itself is old, but as for the cooling on it, would this be considered good or bad?

Do some research and compare different cards. Nearly every cooler is good, it's just that some perform slightly quieter/cooler than others.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Agreed posted:

Worth it in what sense?

You already own it and the additional power draw should be extremely minimal. I use a 650Ti for PhysX (by which I mean Borderlands 2 and soon the pre-sequel, the Metro games, and also the Batman games) alongside my 780Ti. It handles everything pretty much effortlessly (a very heavy PhysX scene might get it up to 22% usage or so, and it takes a SHITLOAD of emitters before it starts slowing down in Fluidmark too).

I used to use a GTX 580 and it was insane overkill - the 650Ti is a performance analog to the 560Ti, more or less, in games - though Kepler's lower end cards seem to handle videogame PhysX better than Fermi lower end cards, and the power savings when the card is idle are boss compared to older generations. Not Maxwell boss, but, you know, pretty alright.

Worth it in the sense that virtually no games use PhysX? Well that's up to you I guess :v:

Well the newest game I have is the Asscreed one with pirates and I think it does PhysX. I have Borderlands 2 as well so I guess that's two games :v: Anyway I just want to see if it makes any performance difference at all, or say, better than 5% or something. I'll just sell it if it doesn't do my system any good. I think it's worth maybe $100 but that's probably going to drop now that the new cards are out.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Which would be a better route - a 970 and a 750 Ti for PhysX or just a 980?

Either way my 570 is going bye-bye once my local-ish Microcenter gets them in. (They only had the eVGA versions in for like 5 hours Friday.)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Maxwell should be way better at scheduling mixed workloads than any previous architecture, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually finally good enough on its own?

That said, if you don't mind, it would be useful to have some data on using just the 970 vs. using it with the 660 for PhysX. Look especially for improvements in minimum framerate, as that's been where you usually see it in the past. It's been worth using with my 780Ti, which on its own so deeply trivializes PhysX that I can't properly describe it - Fluidmark has to go very, very, very far out of its way with image quality stuff to even rouse the fucker past its lower power states in the first place, but even so, even with all those SMXes, it still has some trouble juggling workloads.

It'd be great if Maxwell didn't have that problem and we are only really able to test that now, since the 750Ti is cool and all but it's not a high end gaming card, difficult to show much one way or another outside of synthetic benches.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I know literally nothing aside from "PhysX looks pretty I guess," what's this? You can hook two disparate cards together and have the lesser one run nothing but the PhysX calculations or something? Might be a reason to keep my own 660 when my 980 gets here, if I've got enough juice to boot with both plugged in.

For reference, I'm mostly looking to have max graphics or as close to max graphics (I'll probably never leave poo poo like motion blur on when it gives me the option to nix it) at 1080p and as near a constant 60fps as possible, I'm not interested in the huge screen gaming. I don't know how good of an upgrade this 980 will be, though, maybe it can handle that :v:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Kvantum posted:

Which would be a better route - a 970 and a 750 Ti for PhysX or just a 980?

Either way my 570 is going bye-bye once my local-ish Microcenter gets them in. (They only had the eVGA versions in for like 5 hours Friday.)

Unless you only plan to play the scant few PhysX games and nothing else, a 980.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
Any guess on whether the 980 or 970 can play Witcher 3 on Utra settings?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Hace posted:

Unless you only plan to play the scant few PhysX games and nothing else, a 980.

Nah, 970 and overclock it, then spend the change on something useful, like booze (honestly, the answer to anyone looking at a 980)

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Shima Honnou posted:

I know literally nothing aside from "PhysX looks pretty I guess," what's this? You can hook two disparate cards together and have the lesser one run nothing but the PhysX calculations or something?

Pretty much it in a nutshell. When I finally get around to building a new machine, I think my GTX 750 is going to hang around as a PhysX card, if it doesn't go in to my wife's new machine.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Shrinkage posted:

Any guess on whether the 980 or 970 can play Witcher 3 on Utra settings?

Nobody who posts here has any information about how Witcher 3 will run.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Factory Factory posted:

Nobody who posts here has any information about how Witcher 3 will run.

Don't let such things as basic facts stop people asking questions! Why doesn't someone ask again about how GTA V will run?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
It will be released on the XBone so it'll hardly have top-end requirements.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
That just dawned on me after I get a 970 I could use my 660Ti for PhysX but then both cards would run in x8 mode though. Would the 970 bottleneck at PCI-E 2.0 x8? And would my Corsair HX650 PSU be beefy enough to run both cards? The PSU is certified for SLI so I would assume it would be powerful enough. I would be tempted to do SLI but my motherboard only supports Crossfire.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

peak debt posted:

It will be released on the XBone so it'll hardly have top-end requirements.

Watch_Dogs

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Lazy_Game_Developers

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

spasticColon posted:

Lazy_Game_Developers

Big part of the reason I'm overkilling it with the 980 instead of going for a 970, I don't trust developers and want that extra boost. Also future proofing.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I think it's disappointing that MSI went with such an aggressive aesthetic with their 900-series cards, the design from the 700 series was excellent imo.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Shima Honnou posted:

Big part of the reason I'm overkilling it with the 980 instead of going for a 970, I don't trust developers and want that extra boost. Also future proofing.

Yes, future proofing....

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Shima Honnou posted:

Next tuesday proofing maybe. It'll still be outdated maybe three months after the 970.

EDIT: Assuming you overclock it like Public Enemy.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

This is a really bad idea. There is no compelling reason to get a 980 instead of a 970 and if you're just damned determined to waste your money you're better off shuffling the money around and getting two 970s and SLI-ing them for a ~more or less finally 4K capable gaming setup that costs about what a 780 cost at launch or what a 780Ti cost at launch.

That said if I do go ahead and buy this generation I'm also getting a 980 because I don't really want to deal with SLI if I can avoid it and I don't need a 4K capable setup. I don't really need anything, but the various graphics tech they're bringing to the table is just goddamned impressive.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
When I say future proofing I mean for future games. I have no desire or intention to go to 4K or a screen larger than 1080p since I don't have full vision to take advantage of poo poo like super huge screens or those ultrawides.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Shima Honnou posted:

When I say future proofing I mean for future games. I have no desire or intention to go to 4K or a screen larger than 1080p since I don't have full vision to take advantage of poo poo like super huge screens or those ultrawides.

If you're not going past 1080p then you have no business getting a 980 whatsoever.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

EDIT: Assuming you overclock it like Public Enemy.

I overclock like Flava Flav :whatup:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Shima Honnou posted:

If you only have 1080p then you're already going insanely overkill with a 970, just stick with that.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I'm gonna get a 980 because even though I only have a 1080p monitor, I intend to do super-sampling and want minimum framerates to stay above 60.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Hace posted:

If you only have 1080p then you're already going insanely overkill with a 970, just stick with that.

A lot of Ubisoft games just barely stay over 60fps at 1080p and max settings on these high-end cards.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Hace posted:

Really? With my HD 7850, I do Skyrim at 720p with lots of 2K/4K textures, dense foliage, moderate ENBseries, and still only get 30-45 except in dungeons. And sometimes tons of mouse lag too. 1080p 2K/4K texture Mass Effect 3 was also rough. 720p Tomb Raider with SSAA, also a little dicey sometimes too. What's more taxing, a moderate amount of SSAA at 720p/1080p, or 1440p/4K with MSAA? I have a hard time imagining the latter looks better. There's something so real about the SSAA softness.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
If you want to go truly max pretty on 1080p with high textures mods and the like, a 970 is in no way overkill. That stuff can get insane, and that's only likely to get more true as time goes on. Maybe if it was a 400 dollar card, but for the price/performance ratio and what truly high texture full option graphical enhancement can demand on even 1080? Rock out.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hace posted:

Thought I'd expand on this. The new MSI TFV also has he fans turns off at idle, whenever it is below 50c (compared to 65c on the Asus). The benefit of the new TFV is that it also has two fan control ICs on the board, so the two fans ramp up independently, I'm hazarding a guess that one is of core and the other off memory and VRMs (as their press release state independent cooling of those), which actually means a lot of the time only one fan will actually run, or one fan with a second fan barely moving. It is REALLY quiet, like substantially quieter under typical load ranges than the old TFIV design, which could keep a 250w 780ti with an overclock under 30DbA. The downside of the card is that it has two eight pin connectors (8 + 6 on the 970), which is utterly overkill unless you are under LN2A or something, and limits power supply choice for two and three way sli.

But then, Gigabyte has the awesome flexIO thing they have going, which means you have the ports of a 980 on a 970, as well as an extra DVI-D if you forego the extra DP's (best of both worlds). Which sounds super duper useful! I haven't heard anything of a passive mode, but the cooler is overkill for a 145/165w card and is hence very quiet under load without too much trickery.

On the Asus front, the biggest benefit is that both cards only draw power from a single eight pin connector instead of two six pin. With simple six to eight pin adapters (included), you could run two of these suckers on a typical 450w PSU (the limitation on the other cards would be the number of connectors instead of the power draw). Also comes with a fairly badass backplate, a nice carryover from the reference design. The downside is that it is slightly louder when the fans are actually spinning than the MSI, but it is still goddamn quiet.

All three vendors did really cool stuff to differentiate themselves and make good products this generation! They are all really great for different reasons. It is a huge shame that EVGA dropped the ball hard, but these three caught it (as much as I hate Gigabyte's motherboard division).

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 22, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Duck and burger posted:

Really? With my HD 7850, I do Skyrim at 720p with lots of 2K/4K textures, dense foliage, moderate ENBseries, and still only get 30-45 except in dungeons. And sometimes tons of mouse lag too. 1080p 2K/4K texture Mass Effect 3 was also rough. 720p Tomb Raider with SSAA, also a little dicey sometimes too. What's more taxing, a moderate amount of SSAA at 720p/1080p, or 1440p/4K with MSAA? I have a hard time imagining the latter looks better. There's something so real about the SSAA softness.

This is the 1% edge case for 1080p and overkill cards. SSAA is pretty much the bomb, but its usually not worth the premium you have to pay for it. But at least now that fancy-cost has come down, and if you're down to pay and will use it... I always say go for it. Sadly I've yet to have a setup where I can really enjoy SSAA due to resolution

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BurritoJustice posted:

Thought I'd expand on this. The new MSI TFV also has he fans turns off at idle, whenever it is below 50c (compared to 65c on the Asus). The benefit of the new TFV is that it also has two fan control ICs on the board, so the two fans ramp up independently, I'm hazarding a guess that one is of core and the other off memory and PWMs (as their press release state independent cooling of those), which actually means a lot of the time only one fan will actually run, or one fan with a second fan barely moving. It is REALLY quiet, like substantially quieter under typical load ranges than the old TFIV design, which could keep a 250w 780ti with an overclock under 30DbA. The downside of the card is that it has two eight pin connectors (8 + 6 on the 970), which is utterly overkill unless you are under LN2A or something, and limits power supply choice for two and three way sli.

But then, Gigabyte has the awesome flexIO thing they have going, which means you have the ports of a 980 on a 970, as well as an extra DVI-D if you forego the extra DP's (best of both worlds). Which sounds super duper useful! I haven't heard anything of a passive mode, but the cooler is overkill for a 145/165w card and is hence very quiet under load without too much trickery.

On the Asus front, the biggest benefit is that both cards only draw power from a single eight pin connector instead of two six pin. With simple six to eight pin adapters (included), you could run two of these suckers on a typical 450w PSU (the limitation on the other cards would be the number of connectors instead of the power draw). Also comes with a fairly badass backplate, a nice carryover from the reference design. The downside is that it is slightly louder when the fans are actually spinning than the MSI, but it is still goddamn quiet.

All three vendors did really cool stuff to differentiate themselves and make good products this generation! They are all really great for different reasons. It is a huge shame that EVGA dropped the ball hard, but these three caught it (as much as I hate Gigabyte's motherboard division).

Since the rear fan is mostly over the power components I wonder if its controlled by VRM temp.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Since the rear fan is mostly over the power components I wonder if its controlled by VRM temp.

Oh whoops, I meant to say VRMs and accidentally said PWM (which is what controls the fan, not what the fan curve is based off). Yeah, really cool if so.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Yeah I know even a 970 will be overkill for my 1080p screen but I'm getting tired of having to turn some settings down or off on my 660Ti. Plus the card is only ~$329 which is how much some mid-range cards are at launch.

I also wonder if Nvidia is selling the 970 for only ~$329 in order to cut into game console sales which all use AMD GPUs for this generation of consoles.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Duck and burger posted:

Really? With my HD 7850, I do Skyrim at

Please do not use Skyrim as a performance benchmark. It's too jankety to get consistent results, especially with mods.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I don't like my minimum rates to dip much and I plan on getting a 1440p screen once they have something that isn't the weird Korean offbrand stuff with decent input lag. So yeah, I don't mind getting a 970 for 1080p for a little while.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

spasticColon posted:

Yeah I know even a 970 will be overkill for my 1080p screen but I'm getting tired of having to turn some settings down or off on my 660Ti. Plus the card is only ~$329 which is how much some mid-range cards are at launch.

I also wonder if Nvidia is selling the 970 for only ~$329 in order to cut into game console sales which all use AMD GPUs for this generation of consoles.

$300 is still a shitload of money for a GPU and nowhere near the mainstream market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Any discrete GPU is nowhere near the mainstream market. (Dedicated notebook/laptop GPUs don't count because try and replace them on anything other than a deployment machine.)

And you can seriously wonder whether 1080p will even be much of a thing by the time GM20# has run its course.