Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Dwarves are considered adults on their 12th birthday.

So I've 11 more overseers. Hurray! The entire fortress will be dead to ancient beasts by then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Jon Joe posted:

So I've 11 more overseers. Hurray! The entire fortress will be dead to ancient beasts by then!

Goblins aren't ancient :colbert:

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Goblins aren't ancient :colbert:

Goblins live forever so who the gently caress knows, really.

I may have lost my 14-year old musclebound body, but maybe I can come back as a Musclebound Ghostly Overseer!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Chose the future

Chose Me!

I wonder if you can rig balista up to switches...

Well, you can train carts if we can find any forgable ore.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Seyser Koze posted:

Sooo... can you tear out the old drawbridge and build another one going the correct direction, or is that a (glorious) permanent fixture of the fortress now?
It should be easy enough to dismantle, but why would you want to destroy a work of art like that?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hook the drawbridge up to a pressure plate and it can crush invades! And absolutely everyone else who walks in the wrong spot! This can't go wrong.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Quantum Toast posted:

It should be easy enough to dismantle, but why would you want to destroy a work of art like that?

I was just asking from a mechanics standpoint, I've never actually played the game.

I should apply for overseer.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Hook the drawbridge up to a pressure plate and it can crush invades! And absolutely everyone else who walks in the wrong spot! This can't go wrong.

As long as you put a sign up saying DO NOT STEP ON PLATE you should be fine.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

That was a great turn, symuun.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

tinkerttoy's journal
8th Obsidian, 552: Maybe it's just the siege, but my dear Cerol's even more riled up than usual today. I wonder what's gotten into him. I swear, if the overseer had anything to do with this, he's going to lose his loving head. Bad enough he messed StrangeAeon up, but if he hurt my Cerol, that's crossing the line.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Seyser Koze posted:

I was just asking from a mechanics standpoint, I've never actually played the game.

Competence is optional when it comes to DF LPs. And you can at least ask the OP on how to do specific things if you're struggling.

while competent overseers can make amazing projects happen on purpose, incompetent ones can create drama entirely on their own. :D

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Seyser Koze posted:

I would love you see you become overseer this or next round. Let's make it happen!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want to banish several waves of immigrants to live as the elves do

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I can suture a new future!

This has been great so far. Looking forward to poking around the save later.

Wordbird Raven
Sep 7, 2011

I'm not what you would call an artist.

From the diary of symuun Cloisteredattic, Chief Mechanic

Healthcare Superweapon: Construction An' Operation Manual

To whichever overseer is left wi' the miserable task o' cleanin' up my mess, I leave ye these instructions, should ye be willin' to finish what I started. My weapon ain't fully built yet, but there's very little ye need to do in order to finish it - I've set up most o' the relevant paperwork already.

This is how it starts. The floodgate lets river water in, which is either diverted down to th' hospital reservoir (when the hatch is open) or sent flowing west down the path ye see here. Dinnae worry about that door - it's been deconstructed an' won't impede the flow o' water.

Now, on the floor above, ye'll see a narrow tunnel to the main entrance what weren't there at the end o' DannyGlands' year. At the end o' this tunnel is a screw pump, an' on the level above the pump, there's room fer a windmill to power it. Then, in the main tunnel, ye've got the two bridges. Principle is, once that outer bridge sees some minor modifications, ye'll be able to raise both bridges to seal any invaders into that space.

When the tunnel below is full, this pump'll draw water up into the shaft, get it good an' pressurised up against the door at the end. When the door opens by use of an ingenious mechanical linkage system - BAM! - th'river floods out an' whatever invaders ye've got trapped in there will be Given Water 'til they drown. Now that's weaponised healthcare.

Here's how it's all controlled: a series o' levers in an' around the dinin' room fer easy access. I'll talk about how to use 'em in a minute.

First, here's what ye need to do t'finish the weapon.

1) Extend the walls around the outer drawbridge so it closes properly, an' build a roof on top to form a total seal. Ye should probably do this bit anyway, seein' as it's meant t'be our first line o' defence against goblin invasion. Woulda been pretty handy two months ago, I reckon.

2) Ye'll need to build a windmill immediately above the screw pump. Easy enough - just channel out a tile d'rectly above the intake tile o' the pump - that's the more eastern o' the two tiles, not the open space next to it. Slap a windmill down on top o' that channelled tile an' the water'll pump itself all day long.

3) Pull the lever marked "Flood the Fortress". Now, I know what ye're thinkin' - but it ain't actually a doomsday switch. Not, that is, as long as ye never pull it ever again once the weapon's primed. So, it's best if ye only do this step once.

4) Pull the "River Floodgate" lever an' wait fer the water level t'rise. If ye ever need to get to the inner workin's of the weapon, this is also the lever ye need to pull to shut off the water flow at the source.

That's it! Ye might see me doin' some other odd jobs, but as long as I don't get stroppy an' suspend any, ye should just be able to let me get on with it. Once the steps above are done an' I've got No Job scheduled, ye'll know the weapon's ready. Now, for the actual operation o' the thing:

1) Ensure the Outer Drawbridge and Inner Drawbridge are sealed, ideally with any invaders trapped inside. (Note: Ye could probably leave the inner drawbridge open first time around an' deconstruct a couple o' doors, if ye wanted to drown them goblins in the trap tunnel.)

2) Open the Final Floodgate.

Best o' luck! Hope ye dinnae get as many dwarves killed as I did.

Oh, an' while I think about it - we still needs a well in the hospital, an' also there was a bunch o' metal ores in the caverns what looked moderately promisin'. Ye might want to look into all of that if ye get time in between bein' murdered by goblins.

---

On The Future O' Fogwall

The goblins know about us, right enough. If that were only a little scoutin' party, imagine what a full army'd do to us. But we still got one advantage. Fogwall, miserable little half-forgotten swampy mess that it be, ain't on many o' the official fortress records as anythin' other than a tiny penal colony. I can't imagine we looks like much of a threat to the Wraith of Clutching. Not enough fer them to come in force. Not at first.

That'll buy us time. Time enough ter build, ter dig, ter fortify ourselves. Take in whatever refugees come our way an' grow stronger.

That itself ain't a long-term solution, o' course. Them goblins'll just keep comin', and keep comin', until the end o' days comes or they wipes us all out. So I reckon - an' I'm just a humble mechanic, me, but this is what I reckon: I reckon we needs a champion.

Just ye look at the tales o' Kafit Rootwaxed. Dwarf after dwarf struck down by a horror from before the start o' time. That's our legend here in The Virtuous Swamp. Death an' despair an' monsters what win every time. Is that the type o' legend we want?

Me, I says no. I says to Fogwall... Fogwall I says... we need a better legend. We need t'make a better legend. We need t'rise up an' dig down an' make the mightiest fortress this world ever knew. Craft legendary weapons an' legendary armour, train the finest warriors we possibly can. We can't be Dabblers f'rever. It'll take time, aye, years maybe. But when the time comes, I says we call for an Adventurer to come to Fogwall. Whatever soldiers we have that're willin' to go with that Adventurer, they'll form a fellowship. An' together, they'll walk out into the world, an' they'll walk into the goblins' lair, an' they'll slay the rat devil those goblins call their leader. An' that will be the legend o' Fogwall.

That's what I says. Who's with me?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I've got this. Choose Boing for a brighter future.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

symuun posted:

That's what I says. Who's with me?

:black101:

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Boing posted:

I've got this. Choose Boing for a brighter future.

I believe that Boing will help our fortress bounce back from this terrible tragedy!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

I believe that Boing will help our fortress bounce back from this terrible tragedy!

Or make the situation bounce out of control. Either way.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
This is not the thread I thought it was. How did I manage that?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

ViggyNash posted:

Or make the situation bounce out of control. Either way.

Impossible, electing Boing will put a spring back into the steps of the populace.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Impossible, electing Boing will put a spring back into the steps of the populace.

C'mon, do you really want that? Wouldn't you rather have an endlessly escalating torrent of pure chaos?

...Well, maybe not if you're a dwarf. :v:

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Here's a list of people wishing to oversee this turn so far:
  • scamtank
  • LeJackal
  • Elth
  • Veloxyll
  • ninjewtsu
  • Dashticle
  • Boing

The lotto will close and a new overseer will be selected at random at noon Pacific Time tomorrow.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Okay, the lotto is now closed. Determined by a random draw, your new overseer is Veloxyll!

May whatever deity you worship have mercy on your soul.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I:

1) Haven't played DF in a long time
2) Was never good at playing DF
3) Am currently a baby in game

Q:

Should I register for Overseer lottery next time?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yes. You have better qualifications than our politicians and you're more honest. Plus, we need someone to gently caress up once they rebuild the fortress.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Definitely.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Having good people play the game leads to an army of goblins furiously impotent against an impenetrable, trap-laden front gate. Having bad people play the game leads to levers that inexplicably flood the siege workshop.

Definitely sign up for the next one. This goes for anyone who's not sure they're good enough.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
And if your turn does end catastrophically and in such a way that even a veteran cannot recover the fortress, there's always the save from the previous overseer to roll back to. Temporal shenanigans are tradition.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I am somewhat intrigued to do sign on. But I haven't played the game in a really long time and was always really terrible at it. Also I can't write at all, so that wouldn't be fun for anyone.

Comming up with an interesting way to say, "Goblins attacked. They died. Some dwarfes died." is probably way more important than any actual skill at the game.

Have fun, Veloxyll!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Air is lava! posted:

I am somewhat intrigued to do sign on. But I haven't played the game in a really long time and was always really terrible at it. Also I can't write at all, so that wouldn't be fun for anyone.

Comming up with an interesting way to say, "Goblins attacked. They died. Some dwarfes died." is probably way more important than any actual skill at the game.

Have fun, Veloxyll!

Get drunk beforehand and cuss a lot and you'll be golden.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Seyser Koze posted:

Get drunk beforehand and cuss a lot and you'll be golden.

WELCOME TO loving FOGWALL

HOPE YOU LIKE FOG AND WALLS (with holes in them)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

sebmojo posted:

WELCOME TO loving FOGWALL

HOPE YOU LIKE FOG AND WALLS (with holes in them)

How else are you going to let the fog in?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Aw yeah. Time to entomb some dwarves.

Who knows, they might even be dead when I do it!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

tlarn posted:

And if your turn does end catastrophically and in such a way that even a veteran cannot recover the fortress, there's always the save from the previous overseer to roll back to.

That would be horrible.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

TildeATH posted:

That would be horrible.

It was inevitable.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TildeATH posted:

That would be horrible.

I agree. I'd rather see another overseer try to reclaim the site, or strike a new site in the same civ's region as downtrodden refugees in the wake of the goblin hordes.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Veloxyll posted:

Aw yeah. Time to entomb some dwarves.

Who knows, they might even be dead when I do it!

Please get dwarf me a drink.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
This thread and my slowly working through the Bronzestabbed thread's updates has gotten me back on the saddle of delving into the earth. I forgot how you just lose sense of time when you're setting designations and doing exploratory mining and yeah now I have a dorm and a dining hall let's turn food off on this stockpile and gently caress me it's almost midnight. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

tlarn posted:

This thread and my slowly working through the Bronzestabbed thread's updates has gotten me back on the saddle of delving into the earth. I forgot how you just lose sense of time when you're setting designations and doing exploratory mining and yeah now I have a dorm and a dining hall let's turn food off on this stockpile and gently caress me it's almost midnight. :stare:

Yeah, my sleep habits have become awful since DF2014 has (mostly) killed the new bugs.

Also, I look forward to Veloxyll's term!

• Locked thread