Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Duke Jan posted:

No panic guys, I couldn't even get the gold medal this week, so bottom place is already reserved for me.

Same. I'm hoping that Entropist was overcompensating for the easy author time last week and that it doesn't mean I'm bottom of the pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

Duke Jan posted:

No panic guys, I couldn't even get the gold medal this week, so bottom place is already reserved for me.

Neither could I!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
As someone consistently in the bottom 5, who also couldn't play until yesterday afternoon, I predict I will actually get last place unlike the rest of you people talking about it.

...:sigh:

edit: Or Teavian if they're playing this week (No offence).

Spelling Mitsake fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 22, 2014

BrumDart
Oct 16, 2010
This last track didn't really click with me either, but after reading everyone else's comments I'm feeling a little more satisfied that I at least managed to get a gold. I think I got extremely lucky and put down a great time(for me) for the second half of the track somehow. Because I could reliably shave off 1.5 seconds in the first half of the track for every subsequent run, yet would always wind up in the red by the end.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Well, go and see if the goon track is any easier! :v:

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
Except for the drop, GT1 is kind of pleasant. Lots of fun stuff going on in it. I finally was able to get a time last night. I dunno if I want to do the thing I've done for previous goon tracks where I just submit my very first track completion, but it was ruined because I spent like half an hour on the drop the first time before giving up.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Entropist posted:

Well, go and see if the goon track is any easier! :v:

So...do you think the AT was a bit tougher this time around? Was it intentional? If not, I'm really curious what's up. I even looked for some sort of sneaky short cut for a while that would shave off a second or two. I tried not taking the jump a few times and sticking to the track, and it didn't seem like it made that much difference.

It's just interesting to me that a bunch of people had the same reaction. Is there some sort of go-fast sauce that we're all missing?

Duke Jan
Dec 27, 2009

AGITATING SKELETON

meteor9 posted:

Neither could I!

How dare you be one tenth of a second faster! :argh:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

aas Bandit posted:

So...do you think the AT was a bit tougher this time around? Was it intentional? If not, I'm really curious what's up. I even looked for some sort of sneaky short cut for a while that would shave off a second or two. I tried not taking the jump a few times and sticking to the track, and it didn't seem like it made that much difference.

It's just interesting to me that a bunch of people had the same reaction. Is there some sort of go-fast sauce that we're all missing?
Hopefully the results will help clarify that.

But enough about that, don't forget about the Goontrack now! ;)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
FIRST TIME IN THE TOP 15! :dance:

I was totally not expecting 15th, so I guess everyone had trouble with this one, relatively.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

ViggyNash posted:

FIRST TIME IN THE TOP 15! :dance:

I was totally not expecting 15th, so I guess everyone had trouble with this one, relatively.

Congrats!

I would say it's lonely at the bottom, but look at all these friends I got!
:gonk::hf::(

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

aas Bandit posted:

In round 5 which was the most technical track before this, people also said the AT was too hard. I guess that's because of the way I drive them - with keyboard, no drifting, and driving a bit slower in some turns. On faster tracks, this makes more of a difference since slowing down in a turn causes time loss all the way to the next slow turn. On technical tracks there are more turns, so this effect isn't as big. The lack of drifting doesn't make up for it as the goons don't drift very well I suppose. And, on these technical tracks it's just harder to follow the right line even without any drifting or trickery.

I just watched the author time and noticed that I did drift in two or three places near the start, too. So yeah, it was a pretty good AT.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Entropist posted:

In round 5 which was the most technical track before this, people also said the AT was too hard. I guess that's because of the way I drive them - with keyboard, no drifting, and driving a bit slower in some turns. On faster tracks, this makes more of a difference since slowing down in a turn causes time loss all the way to the next slow turn. On technical tracks there are more turns, so this effect isn't as big. The lack of drifting doesn't make up for it as the goons don't drift very well I suppose. And, on these technical tracks it's just harder to follow the right line even without any drifting or trickery.

I just watched the author time and noticed that I did drift in two or three places near the start, too. So yeah, it was a pretty good AT.

Interesting. So basically, your self-handicapping for the track AT doesn't have as big of an impact when the track is more technical/tricky in the first place. That makes sense.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

SupSuper posted:

Hopefully the results will help clarify that.

ugh, gently caress off entro.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Hey, best out of those of us who got 1:08 or more (and also being almost 3 seconds behind the next place up).

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

aas Bandit posted:

You can see the top finish in the distance there, and yeah, I sailed through it on the AT after not touching the ground after the takeoff point in the screenie. Who knew that little valley hatchback would do almost 800?

Speed Kills

I just finished up this track, and the link above now points to the final.
And yeah, make that over 800 for that little valley car. Just plain old going fast and ignoring the brake is fun sometimes.

I'd love to see any replays from anyone who has the full version of the game.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Will the GoonTrack times affect the leaderboard or should I put the REAL effort in digging Stercus?

Yay, more suffering!
VVV

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 23, 2014

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
They will affect it just like the other regular tracks!

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
I'm trying to upload my replay for the first Goontrack to the website, but it's giving me a "this is for the wrong track" error. I emailed my replay in to see if there's something wrong with my replay or at least to make sure it gets in--did anyone else have this problem, or am I the first to submit a track?

Works again, thanks!

Twisted Eye fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 24, 2014

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Twisted Eye posted:

I'm trying to upload my replay for the first Goontrack to the website, but it's giving me a "this is for the wrong track" error. I emailed my replay in to see if there's something wrong with my replay or at least to make sure it gets in--did anyone else have this problem, or am I the first to submit a track?
Should be fixed now.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Entropist posted:

They will affect it just like the other regular tracks!

Welp, I guess something had to balance my joy of getting a not lovely rank on the last track. I can't even finish the goon track.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Well, I suppose I might as well try dabbling with the bonus track NOW.

:smuggo:

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

Welp, I guess something had to balance my joy of getting a not lovely rank on the last track. I can't even finish the goon track.

I have succeeded at the drop ONCE out of maybe 40 attempts, I just cannot avoid hitting anything no matter what I try. After that, I am totally lost on how to finish, although I have only attempted the finish once because well, can't get past the drat drop. Can't remember what key it is to start at a checkpoint instead of starting over.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

I have succeeded at the drop ONCE out of maybe 40 attempts, I just cannot avoid hitting anything no matter what I try. After that, I am totally lost on how to finish, although I have only attempted the finish once because well, can't get past the drat drop. Can't remember what key it is to start at a checkpoint instead of starting over.
Backspace to restart at the last checkpoint, Delete to restart the whole thing.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Yeah no. No more.
I no longer care if I come in last. Time submitted and may I never look again on this track of horrors.

That drat tower jump... I swear. :smithicide:

Teavian
Oct 9, 2012

I have also submitted a time! With only one fault! And it's not on Lex Luthor's Evil Maze! :bubblewoop:

No one else has any excuse.

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007
I submitted my time earlier today. I have a pretty slow time through the first 3 checkpoints, but it's the only time I got a clean run through the death hoops. I could shave off at least another 1-1.5s from my time but eh v :) v.

Is goontrack 2 the last track besides the bonus or are we getting another Entropist creation?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Hi there.

I'm just here to post 2 cuts hours away from the deadline.

https://gfycat.com/JoyousPoorHarborseal
This one I'm not sure is faster, it's about equal with taking the jump in my playing.

https://gfycat.com/KnobbyWholeCockatoo
This one should be.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Ugh. I can save so much time on each section, but doing it all at once has been impossible for me.

Stupid CVE...:mad:

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007

FillInTheBlank posted:

Hi there.

I'm just here to post 2 cuts hours away from the deadline.

https://gfycat.com/JoyousPoorHarborseal
This one I'm not sure is faster, it's about equal with taking the jump in my playing.

https://gfycat.com/KnobbyWholeCockatoo
This one should be.

Annnnd that's why I never do particularly well on the goontracks, I can't ever seem to find cuts if they aren't intuitively obvious.

Oh well, half the fun is seeing the final video and which people found cuts.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

AtomicSX posted:

Is goontrack 2 the last track besides the bonus or are we getting another Entropist creation?

One more by me, and what a creation it is! Because you slackers wanted to cut the season short, I had to put 3 tracks worth of assholishness into one. I'm curious to see if it will be better or worse than the goontrack! :v:

I tried those cuts and didn't manage to save any time with them, so don't worry too much about it. Though the grass cut has potential if you suck at jumping through the hole the normal way.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AtomicSX posted:

Annnnd that's why I never do particularly well on the goontracks, I can't ever seem to find cuts if they aren't intuitively obvious.

Oh well, half the fun is seeing the final video and which people found cuts.

I didn't even think to try that stuff.

Not that I would've with CVE's loving BULLSHIT jump, I wanted to get the beginning as consistent as possible. I'm in the same boat, too, I can shave 2 seconds off my time easily, but my submitted run was the only one that I didn't have to restart on. It's pretty comfortable too, not super fast but no glaring errors past not being really fast.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I'm a lazy bastard and just submitted my clean run from a week ago. I could probably have shaved off a couple of seconds, but I have too much going on this weekend. :effort:

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I was playing GT1 tonight, and my wife happened to be watching for a bit. I got to CVE's part, and she said "That reminds me of a nightmare I had one time." CVE, all I can say is :bravo:

BrumDart
Oct 16, 2010
Aside from just getting through that jump at all, was anyone able to land it in a semi-predictable way? I was able to get through it about 1/3 of the time, but there was no way of predicting which way up I'd be facing on the other side of it. I threw in a couple extra laps before sending in my replay, and managed to shave off 3 seconds between the jump and the next checkpoint simply because I was lucky enough to land mostly upright this time. I know there are another 3-4 seconds I can save in the first half of the track but I just can't be bothered now.

The precision jump earlier in the track was slightly annoying, but I felt that with enough practice I could become consistent at it. Maybe if CVE's jump had been earlier in the track it wouldn't be so frustrating to have to waste most of a lap just to find out if I was lucky enough to land it this time.

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008

BrumDart posted:

Aside from just getting through that jump at all, was anyone able to land it in a semi-predictable way?

Basically this. I played the goontrack exactly as long as it took to get the drop in one take, and it just so happened to be a smooth landing, so I kept the rest of the sloppy run. Man, the track is absolutely no fun to play, it didn't feel like it was even worth trying to get a better run on.

Here's hoping the second goontrack plays a bit better. I tried to mix up my section with something slower, a bit more complicated to get the most speed out of it, but I realized after that there's a potential shortcut (maybe) for people who like aiming precision jumps! No idea if it's doable, since my memory of it is vague.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
gently caress GT1. Even with the jump skip it never let me finish.

Foozle
May 29, 2006
Replay submitted. I'm looking forward to seeing Entropist's run that falls straight down that goddamn drop and lands wheels down.

At least the next Goon track can't be this sadistic... Right?

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
I can finish the thing, at least, although I still have no real idea how to execute the triple-anus jump. So giving-up-time submitted, god help my standings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Whew, five minutes late turning this in but by gently caress after all the poo poo I went through just to complete the drat thing I better get some amnesty.

Finally figured out the "triple anus" part, but loving hell that last bit is what hosed me out of every good run. loving hated this thing, done with it, just glad I got it done.

• Locked thread