Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

counterfeitsaint posted:

I never understood how exactly Reeve controlled Cait Sith. Originally I just imagined him at a computer controlling it with a joystick or something, but apparently he can hang out in the board room and have conversations will still controlling and communicating through the robot-cat-moogle. No one else even seems to notice, so it's not like he's got his smart 90s brick phone out and is using that.

Considering what some of the materia can do, it's not too far fetched to imagine some kind of puppetry materia. I sincerely hope there's materia that conjures up tea or something like that.

I always used to imagine he was controlling Cait Sith from some kind of control panel, but people would surely wonder where he is half of the time. He also needs to be able to see and hear what Cait Sith does, and talk through him.

iShinra Glass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Obviously he has the doll on Codec.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phoenix Taichou posted:

iShinra Glass?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
reeve is the robot, the cait sith cat is actually real and controlling him

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Considering what some of the materia can do, it's not too far fetched to imagine some kind of puppetry materia.

Cait Sith comes equipped with "Manipulate" materia, seems pretty close to puppetry to me.

Reagle
Feb 16, 2011

Otter you waiting for?

Madmarker posted:

Cait Sith comes equipped with "Manipulate" materia, seems pretty close to puppetry to me.

This is how I always saw it.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
So I guess before Avalanche turned up there, Reeve was just using Cait-Sith to skive off work and have fun at the Gold Saucer while all the other Shinra execs were working?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Faraday Cage posted:

So I guess before Avalanche turned up there, Reeve was just using Cait-Sith to skive off work and have fun at the Gold Saucer while all the other Shinra execs were working?

I think he just sat there waiting for AVALANCHE, probably had some spy feeding our location. It's not like our party was careful with not raising suspicion.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

counterfeitsaint posted:

I never understood how exactly Reeve controlled Cait Sith. Originally I just imagined him at a computer controlling it with a joystick or something, but apparently he can hang out in the board room and have conversations will still controlling and communicating through the robot-cat-moogle. No one else even seems to notice, so it's not like he's got his smart 90s brick phone out and is using that.

Cait Sith does come with a Manipulate Materia

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 22, 2014

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Phantasium posted:

Obviously he has the doll on Codec.

"Cloud? Cloud?! CLOOOOOUUUUUDD!!!!"

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
Yeah, I forgot about the Manipulate materia, that's pretty much that then

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Reagle posted:

Dang, that's true. Barret and Tifa need their revenge on Nega-Barret and Nega-Tifa. I'm actually kind of curious what -everyone's- unique dialog will be in the upcoming segments.
I remember my final run of the game just being pure Barret and Tifa from this point on to the end of the game, and I always somehow gravitate towards it again because dammit we started this together now we finish it.
Also yeah I kinda wonder on the unique dialog because, not gonna lie, this is my favourite part of the whole endgame sequence because we're taking the fight BACK to Midgar.

I really love when in videogames you have to come back to the first village or city to finish the fight, or something close to it. I'm a sucker for bookends in storytelling. :shobon:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I always love the fact the pilot levels up to "Limit Break". Just seems like such a random wink at the player.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
One thing I love about this part is that once Cid says he's leaving the ship in the hands of the crew the world map music changes to Cid's theme. It really is a great way to say "poo poo just got real" and kick of the the big drat heroes sequence of the game. We're going back to city that started this whole adventure, this time to save it, and boy do we have some awesome music for the occasion. I used hold off actually going to Midgar just so I could fly around with that music playing a bit longer.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

And this is why I remembered Cid's theme as being the airship theme for a long time. :psyduck: I opted to do all the side quests right after this scene, for some reason.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I was under the impression that Reeve and Cait Sith had a Gepeto and Pinnochio relationship, implying a living thing actually died at the temple of the anchients.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
With Cait Sith talking about how he's unique despite being remote controlled, I thought he was autonomous, but Reeve could take control whenever he wants and communicate with the party directly.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Last time, fuckin' Carry Armor ruined attempts by using Lapis Laser in the fuckin' AI setup.

So uh Rocket Town stuff is next.

I took this screenshot over two years ago and I don't think it made sense then either.

Clispaeth is the designated exp-getter because this is his rocket, dammit! Also I don't think he's been designated exp getter in forever.

Remember when I picked up all those elixirs in great glacier? Good times, man. I like being able to sling 'em.

Rude is not hard, per usual. Like most fights at this point he's only dangerous in that you have to down two party members to minimize EXP gains.

I think this sequence ends Clispaeth's tenure as a party member forever, unless I use him in the final dungeon for shits and/or giggles.

So then CLOUD and Clispaeth became the first living beings to go into space.

And Taft became the first well-preserved corpse.

Hey, if I can get shinies without getting exp, I will get shinies.

So, yeah, space events, etc. this is a screenshot to establish the narrative so the subsequent ones are contextualized.

CLOUD has his beautiful gown and accessories and his radical snowboard on his person still, by the way.

You guys sabotaged 3/4 of it, assholes.

"We went into space with it next to the panties for reasons. Space reasons."

Bahamut-ZERO will not be featured in this LP as he was the huge materia on the train.

I think if you miss any of the huge materia, it removes them in a set order, but I don't like missing things even if they are nonsense like Bahamut-ZERO, so it's only conjecture.

Being able to rename characters and the weird rules around possessives of nouns ending in s do not get along.

This is another screenshot to establish the narrative so that the audience knows I did this. My evidence is that CLOUD is in all capitals.

Finding it is more annoying than dangerous, though in the LLG that just means I don't have to knock off two members of the team for a little bit.

So yeah we discover that Aerated did something with all those levels she got in disc 1.

Everyone but Taft outlevels her now, by the way. That character juggling was meaningful I swear.

Warning: this name is cannon.

Then this fucker shows up. I wish he didn't.

"No one since I received no experience for the event, I suppose, unlike that time you guys cracked an icicle, for which I was not present."

But I don't want to fight it!

After getting to this point, Diamond WEAPON stops dead in its tracks, probably to catch its breath. It jogged all the way here from the northern continent!

The Diamond WEAPON plan is Trine, Trine, Trine, Trine! Trine. Diamond is weak to Lightning, and our best source of lightning is Trine. With 30,000 HP exactly, Diamond's immune to Sense.

Yoinkara. Not sure why but I've got nothing better to do between Trines.

Diamond WEAPON is not particularly dangerous. Just two single-target attacks and a silencing percentile move it'll never use because I am not using summons or limits.

This is why I didn't want to fight Diamond WEAPON. This is the single largest lump of mandatory experience in the entire game. Fourth or Fifth largest in the game as a whole, IIRC.

It's enough to give CLOUD seven levels by itself. This is the last EXP he will ever receive, though 29 is not exactly whining baby power levels.

And then Diamond dies, its greatest crime already committed.

The way to Sephiroth, to save the world, is open.

Obviously, it's time to gently caress around in the woods.

Mysterious Ninja is not particularly hard, considering mid 20s is Nibelheim levels.

So yeah I bother to get her after the largest lump of exp is over and done with. She's got important work to do.

Sadly, her full name is too long for the entry screen.

So, affectionate nickname.

Besides being far more powerful than the rest of our poo poo, the Conformer has a special effect in that its multiplier is related to the enemy's level. Specifically, it is set to the enemy's level, where 16 would be the normal x1 multiplier. Against Carry Armor, for example, it'd have a x2.8 multiplier, rounded. Given this is the late game, everything is above level 50 and thus really get knocked around. Throw it together with Dobule Cut and the enemies really get pounded.

NEXT TIME: the great ninja Yuckie vs. the last mandatory exp!

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

So, I don't remember when it was discussed, but is there any reason why the Conformer in particular does ridiculous damage when used with Morph?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yukari posted:

So, I don't remember when it was discussed, but is there any reason why the Conformer in particular does ridiculous damage when used with Morph?

Its effect overrides morph's damage penalty.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 23, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

dis astranagant posted:

Its effect override's morph's damage penalty.

I thought it was a deliberate trait of the weapon, not a glitch.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

You say that like anything detailed in a Square battle system is deliberate :v:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 23, 2014

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Being deliberate doesn't really make sense since it's pretty much the only weapon that ignores Morph's penalty. If "ignores reduced damage from Morph" was an intentional trait (say, like how some of Vincent's stuff ignores the Deathblow to-hit penalty), it would likely be on something else such as other people's ultimate weapons.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The Conformer overrides a lot of multipliers with its level-based one actually. I'm not sure how far it goes.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

rodbeard posted:

I was under the impression that Reeve and Cait Sith had a Gepeto and Pinnochio relationship, implying a living thing actually died at the temple of the anchients.

Not implied, it outright SAID Cait Sith was sentient when Reeve wasn't controlling him.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

dis astranagant posted:

You say that like anything detailed in a Square battle system is deliberate :v:

Good point.

This is the series that has had several games with entire stats that do nothing.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
L 14 :frogsiren: LIMIT BREAK! :frogsiren:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

MagusofStars posted:

Being deliberate doesn't really make sense since it's pretty much the only weapon that ignores Morph's penalty. If "ignores reduced damage from Morph" was an intentional trait (say, like how some of Vincent's stuff ignores the Deathblow to-hit penalty), it would likely be on something else such as other people's ultimate weapons.

I don't think any of Vincent's weapons "ignore" the to-hit penalty, they just have such a high base hit rate that cutting them in half (or however it works) still leaves you with a really good to-hit chance. He's got 2 or 3 weapons with a 255 hit rate, which even cut in half give you pretty much perfect accuracy.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

rodbeard posted:

dpbjinc posted:

With Cait Sith talking about how he's unique despite being remote controlled, I thought he was autonomous, but Reeve could take control whenever he wants and communicate with the party directly.

Holy poo poo Reeve is so evil.

"It's just a moogle and (living, sentient?) cat, gently caress it, crush 'em."

*Bam*

"Okay now find me another one so I can mind-control that to its death too"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

simplefish posted:

Holy poo poo Reeve is so evil.

"It's just a moogle and (living, sentient?) cat, gently caress it, crush 'em."

*Bam*

"Okay now find me another one so I can mind-control that to its death too"

Nah, I'm preeetty sure it was made clear at the time of the first one's death (if not before then) that they're purely robots, albeit at least semi-autonomous to the point of developing some personality.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Whose idea was it anyway, Reeve's or the robot's? I got the impression that Cait Sith suggested it himself without needing Reeve to decide it for him.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Final Fantasy VII, man. Layers within layers of questions. Is Cait Sidhe a person? Is Reeve, the only good guy on the team, an rear end in a top hat? We'll never know.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

GrizzlyCow posted:

Final Fantasy VII, man. Layers within layers of questions. Is Cait Sidhe a person? Is Reeve, the only good guy on the team, an rear end in a top hat? We'll never know.

Dirge of Cerebus answers these questions and the answer is that we would all be better without Cait Sith/Reeve and Vincent.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Dirge of Cerebus was so crap that when I worked at GameStop a customer came in and threw it at me rather than even bothering to return it or try and trade it in.
better that we all forget it exists.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I kinda liked the ideas in there. Third person shooter with simple gun crafting sounds cool, but then they screwed it up with the level design.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

At least it's not that one PSP third person shooter they do that's name I just can't force myself to type.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Great Joe posted:

I kinda liked the ideas in there. Third person shooter with simple gun crafting sounds cool, but then they screwed it up with the level design.

And pacing,

And character design,

And gameplay,

And story.

That game was the Sonic 06 of Final Fantasy, a failure on every imaginable level. Every time you think you have reached the bottom of the barrel you find that the bottom of the barrel itself is made up of smaller barrels, each filled with more things wrong with the game. Its a fractal of failure.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 24, 2014

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Elentor posted:

Thread Rules
* NO EU TALK.

Calm down, everyone.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

dis astranagant posted:

At least it's not that one PSP third person shooter they do that's name I just can't force myself to type.

Let me guess. The 3rd Birthday? Which was, overall, much better designed than DoC (the story sucked but the gameplay was all right).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vorpal Cat posted:

That game was the Sonic 06 of Final Fantasy, a failure on every imaginable level. Every time you think you have reached the bottom of the barrel you find that the bottom of the barrel itself is made up of smaller barrels, each filled with more things wrong with the game. Its a fractal of failure.

But like Sonic '06, you can at least give the game credit for some good music.

Sonic and Final Fantasy do seem to have that in common. Everything else might be terrible but you can trust in a good soundtrack. Truth be told, I don't even play Sonic games at all but I do enjoy the music.

• Locked thread