Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Serious Frolicking posted:

Ah, I see. He was immortal until he was killed. What a clever twist.

Well I mean even if he revived he'd be floating somewhere in orbit and probably dead again immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

So, are we absolutely certain that Urobuchi specifically wrote the first three episodes? As opposed to the first two and then this one? As an end to the season, I'm decidedly 'meh' on the whole thing. Yet, the exact same ending would have won my grudging respect were the series to conclude with this episode. Not because it was a good ending--shocking, yes, but not good. But it would be an amazing troll on the part of the writers: "That's it, show's over folks. No grand character arcs or epic plot lines to see here, just people fighting for stupid reasons, and then dying in stupid, random ways. Just like a real war! "

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
I am fairly sure the princes is still alive do to her crash helmet inflating at exactly the right time.

Inaho is much more likely to be dead, but we know that Slaine is an amazingly terrible shot. So if Inaho makes it to the next season it will just be because Slaine is a gently caress up at everything, and could not manage to land one in the x ring from 3 feet away.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Inaho, Asseylum, and Saazbaum are all certainly dead. The show's tagline, "Let justice be done, though the heavens fall," is a reference to Piso's Justice. Asseylum: the one whose sentence had already been passed, Saazbaum: the one who failed in his duty, and Inaho: the one responsible for the deaths of the two former (from Slane's point of view).
(thanks Reddit)

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008
Slaine's motivations are pretty unstandable. Of course he's a treacherous little prick, who would expect loyalty from a beaten dog? After however many years of Crueto kicking his teeth in for the slightest infraction, of course he's going to trust Saazbaum. After all, the man straight up explained his motivations, his history, and wasn't a giant space racist to him. He sees Inaho as stealing away the only other person who'd shown him mercy or kindness. He has the worst reactions to things not going his way, but normally can't act on them, and so when he can, he gets vicious.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
such a disgusting little poo poo. he's exactly the kind of person I look down upon.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

archduke.iago posted:

Inaho, Asseylum, and Saazbaum are all certainly dead. The show's tagline, "Let justice be done, though the heavens fall," is a reference to Piso's Justice. Asseylum: the one whose sentence had already been passed, Saazbaum: the one who failed in his duty, and Inaho: the one responsible for the deaths of the two former (from Slane's point of view).
(thanks Reddit)

He very clearly didn't hit Saazbaum anywhere vital(hence the :smuggo: headtap) and this is an entertainment piece so limb and shoulder shots are almost always nonfatal. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Saazbaum alive. If Asseylum is alive I'd bet on it being a quirk of the crash helmet balloon making the bullet glance off her head(and swift collapsed lung treatment from the chest shot, of course). If Inaho is alive he's probably missing an eye and it'd be plausible if only because Slaine has hosed up basically everything he's ever done so failing to kill someone with a headshot from two feet away would fail to surprise me.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 22, 2014

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I reckon there's either going to be a big time jump with the Slaine train firing on all it's denial and incompetence powered cylinders, or a cold open continuing this seasons final scene, with space magic potentially saving some lives or some other kind of fake out/twist.

The thing that excites me about the next season is what we don't know about Aldnoah, also hopefully more development of Rayet.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Ah, I see. He was immortal until he was killed. What a clever twist.

Also, immortality up to a point is hardly without precedent in fiction/mythology.
I mean, whatever juju you've got is going to have a much harder time repairing you if you've been reduced to your constituent molecules by an exploding moon than if you've just been shot in the head.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

Also, immortality up to a point is hardly without precedent in fiction/mythology.
I mean, whatever juju you've got is going to have a much harder time repairing you if you've been reduced to your constituent molecules by an exploding moon than if you've just been shot in the head.

This kind of poo poo is why you don't start from a conclusion and then work backward. Asseylum and Inaho must be alive. Asseylum's situation is kind of ambiguous since she was described as being missing and they would know if she was dead from the deucalion's status, but Inaho got shot in the head. How could he be alive if he was shot in the head? Why, he must be immortal. How could he be immortal? Well, he gave Asseylum mouth to mouth and she has what are effectively magic powers, so she must have made him immortal. If she can grant immortality then she must be immortal herself despite the fact that she very clearly died after Rayet strangled her. Asseylum also gave Slaine mouth to mouth and even though he never died he isn't dead, so he must also be immortal. The emperor clearly isn't immortal due to his obvious infirmity, so it must only be limited to the female royal line. The human formerly known as a prince could be immortal, but he was died very emphatically which nullifies the automatic resurrections we have never seen and for which there is no evidence. In conclusion, Asseylum and Inaho must be immortal because they can't be dead given that I don't want them to be dead.

I'm more interested in the fact that Saazbaum was left alive but immobilized than the nanomachine logia fruit discussion. Slaine wasn't going to take him along with the princess, so it is entirely possible that everyone's favorite martian is alive and a prisoner. He might have escaped on his own somehow too, I guess?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

This kind of poo poo is why you don't start from a conclusion and then work backward. Asseylum and Inaho must be alive. Asseylum's situation is kind of ambiguous since she was described as being missing and they would know if she was dead from the deucalion's status, but Inaho got shot in the head. How could he be alive if he was shot in the head? Why, he must be immortal. How could he be immortal? Well, he gave Asseylum mouth to mouth and she has what are effectively magic powers, so she must have made him immortal. If she can grant immortality then she must be immortal herself despite the fact that she very clearly died after Rayet strangled her. Asseylum also gave Slaine mouth to mouth and even though he never died he isn't dead, so he must also be immortal. The emperor clearly isn't immortal due to his obvious infirmity, so it must only be limited to the female royal line. The human formerly known as a prince could be immortal, but he was died very emphatically which nullifies the automatic resurrections we have never seen and for which there is no evidence. In conclusion, Asseylum and Inaho must be immortal because they can't be dead given that I don't want them to be dead.

I'm more interested in the fact that Saazbaum was left alive but immobilized than the nanomachine logia fruit discussion. Slaine wasn't going to take him along with the princess, so it is entirely possible that everyone's favorite martian is alive and a prisoner. He might have escaped on his own somehow too, I guess?

You're getting pretty worked up over a joke theory! I don't think anyone actually thinks that she's got magic immortality powers.

Though I'm curious why you think Asseylum might be alive but Inaho is emphatically dead. They both got shot in the head and she also got shot pretty gorily through the torso - collapsed/punctured lung at the least. If she can survive a headshot through some magic of plot, there's no reason Inaho can't(except magic princess immortality, of course).

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I have no doubt both of them are still alive. My guess is they will explain away the princess being alive as the bullet didnt actually hit her directly but it hit and triggered her crash helmet type thing that the pilots wear and it either slowed it down enough not to cause serious damage or through plot armor deflected it completely. Inaho is alive purely because Slaine is such a massive gently caress up that he somehow missed a killing shot from 2 feet away.

Inaho at least has to be alive for me to continue to watch this next season.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
Ask yourself if you really want to bet against there being magic princess powers in an anime that has magic and a princess all lined up and ready to go.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Supposedly Nicovideo had a live-streamed Gargantia event today, where Urobuchi is quoted as saying "Stop blaming me for the Aldnoah ending!" and "In my original outline, it said Inaho and the princess fall in love, and Slaine takes her away, ending the season!", also adding "And if people start dying in Psycho-Pass 2, that's Ubukata's fault, not mine!"

darkgray fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 22, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Inaho and Hime confirmed alive.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

darkgray posted:

Supposedly Nicovideo had a live-streamed Gargantia event today, where Urobuchi is quoted as saying "Stop blaming me for the Aldnoah ending!" and "In my original outline, it said Inaho and the princess fall in love, and Slaine takes her away, ending the season!", also adding "And if people start dying in Psycho-Pass 2, that's Ubukata's fault, not mine!"

Is he fully involved in anything anymore? Constantly hearing about new projects with his name attached to them only to later discover that no, he only worked on a couple of eps, or no, he only wrote an early outline that has since been completely rewritten by other people. Funny that Japan is just as confused about it as everyone else.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

straight jerkers posted:

Is he fully involved in anything anymore? Constantly hearing about new projects with his name attached to them only to later discover that no, he only worked on a couple of eps, or no, he only wrote an early outline that has since been completely rewritten by other people. Funny that Japan is just as confused about it as everyone else.

Kinda feels a lot like Tom Clancy when he became popular.

Tom Clancy's so and so! Premise by Tom Clancy, written by some other guy

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Everyone is dead, El Dorito for season 2 protagonist.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

straight jerkers posted:

The last thing he did most of the writing on was Kamen Rider Gaim and that just finished so I guess he might be free to do more than a couple of episodes at some point.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

straight jerkers posted:

I think he's showrunner on Gaim?

e: Ah well there you go. He might also be majorly involved in that Toei movie.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Kanos posted:

You're getting pretty worked up over a joke theory! I don't think anyone actually thinks that she's got magic immortality powers.

Just found a plot spoiler for season 2:

"A year after the Terran Rebellion, a brainwashed Inaho Kaizuka and his pseudo-younger sister, Ritto, are gambling at Saazbaum Castle when the United Forces of Earth, led by A.A., launches an attack on the complex to retrieve Inaho. The secret service that were monitoring Inaho reveal themselves and attempt to capture A.A.; She restores Inaho's memories allowing him to use Aldnoah to kill his enemies and resume his role as Zero, the masked leader of the UFE. Elsewhere, Slaine Troyard declares to Emperor Rayregalia Vers Rayvers and the Martian Knights that Zero is his responsibility to kill."

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Geass is the White Whale of current gen mech shows. Always chasing it, never catching up.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Hagop posted:

I am fairly sure the princess is still alive due to her crash helmet inflating at exactly the right time.

It didn't inflate before the bullet hit, it inflated because the bullet snapped her head around so quickly that the g-forces set it off.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Is Saazbaum still alive? He gets shot in the arm and seems to be shot in the gut (i think?)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

UberJumper posted:

Is Saazbaum still alive? He gets shot in the arm and seems to be shot in the gut (i think?)

His injuries looked survivable assuming he got proper medical care, and since he's in his castle surrounded by his underlings, smart money's on "alive".

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Pyronic posted:

PS Inaho's got a sweet Solid Snake eyepatch now.

Inaho isn't dead. They just need to make him... stronger. :black101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTQIogLBFBs

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

In other words:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

darkgray posted:

Supposedly Nicovideo had a live-streamed Gargantia event today, where Urobuchi is quoted as saying "Stop blaming me for the Aldnoah ending!" and "In my original outline, it said Inaho and the princess fall in love, and Slaine takes her away, ending the season.
The most shocking part of that is Gargantia being popular enough to get 'events.' I thought I was the only one who actually liked that show. Now there was a series that wound up much smaller in scope than expected, but still managed a halfway decent conclusion.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I'm pretty sure it was well received in Japan. SA kind of felt let down after the first few really good episodes and then it turned in to swimsuits + running away from transsexual people.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Zettace posted:

I'm pretty sure it was well received in Japan. SA kind of felt let down after the first few really good episodes and then it turned in to swimsuits + running away from transsexual people.

That was just one (stupid) episode.

Gargantia still sucked though. Except Chamber, he was rad.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

That's fair, I don't remember the middle 3 or 4 episodes at all.
I kind of want to post in GBS just so I can empty quote this.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Wish it had played out like this

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Rangpur posted:

But it would be an amazing troll on the part of the writers: "That's it, show's over folks. No grand character arcs or epic plot lines to see here, just people fighting for stupid reasons, and then dying in stupid, random ways. Just like a real war! "

IIRC we can go and check credits on each episode to be 100% sure if he was involved but atm I will trust the strangers on the internet on goodwill about his involvement on the first 3 episodes.

Actually would not be so bad and it'd upgrade my score of 5/10 to at least 7/10 on MAL. Finally, war themed anime which is semi-realistic would be a nice change of pace from the Power of Friendship and/or Love theme.

They could even recycle Inaho's short speech replacing the epilogue on how war ends too. Almost forgot how Seylum's reply during that moment made me feel :wtf:is everyone a idiot apart from Inaho?

Honestly I thought Slaine finally lost it w/everyone treating him badly for no reason and I don't blame him if he did kill everyone in murderous rage

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry dudes, but Slaine rocks. He's a believable loser. Not a loving robot-man, a *princess*, or some feudal dipshit with a grudge but an actual character. Yeah, he's a gently caress-up, he's conflicted, that's the point. But this is the same series with a pretty accurate portrayal of PSTD. Well, Slaine is a pretty good portrayal of a goon in "love" (because, come on, that was just some infatuation) who doesn't really know what to do and, in the end, totally freaks out.

And season 2 could get interesting because I don't see him having the self-awareness to realize what happened and he's probably gonna blame everybody else. That should be interesting.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

quote:

thats my biggest problem with Slaine - hes supposed to be a viewer surrogate that drives a lot of empathy.

the immediate and end result is this unlikable "victim" who was painfully indecisive. I mean the guy was literally disliked to borderline despised by every person he met, Martian or Terran, except one ridiculously forgiving and naive princess. Another huge issue was the disparity in narrative when concerning him. Specifically how it would be stressed over and over than Slaine is supposed to be conflicted between his Terran heritage and his Martian allegiance... except that never really materialized outside of one mid season fight. The writing made it end up something more like Priorities: Princess Asseylum until the plot demands otherwise for him to do something completely non-nonsensical.

its really a marvel to see how hard they hosed up with slaine from a writing standpoint if you analyze it
quote from some random guy on a DFO website.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

nehezir posted:

quote from some random guy on a DFO website.

I agree w/random guy on how writers kinda gave up too soon before the final episodes on Slaine's characterization. It's ok to be a flawed person but the only info we gain is his unhealthy fixation on someone he actually doesn't know well as he thinks at all.

Is Slaine a bad character vs everyone else so far? Not really but is there anything to say he's a good character either?

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

I don't really bother approaching that subject because the only thing that'll come of it is some random person jumping in the middle crying opinions and how it's pointless to discuss them.

just eventually worked myself out of the habit. all I need to know is that I despise him as a character. because he not only is painfully incompetent, but he's always incompetent because of things supposedly that aren't his fault.

even when he gets his loved one killed, it isn't his fault. he's such a transparent "victim" that I can't even pity him. he represents everything lovely in the show(thankfully the rest of it compensates), because he isn't even worth blame.

and really, the only thing he accomplished in 12 episodes was a show of loyalty and resolve to a count who was immediately blown the gently caress up. he's a worthless man.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sneak preview of S2.

It could work.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

trucutru posted:

Sorry dudes, but Slaine rocks. He's a believable loser. Not a loving robot-man, a *princess*, or some feudal dipshit with a grudge but an actual character. Yeah, he's a gently caress-up, he's conflicted, that's the point. But this is the same series with a pretty accurate portrayal of PSTD. Well, Slaine is a pretty good portrayal of a goon in "love" (because, come on, that was just some infatuation) who doesn't really know what to do and, in the end, totally freaks out.

And season 2 could get interesting because I don't see him having the self-awareness to realize what happened and he's probably gonna blame everybody else. That should be interesting.

If I want to see people being generally lovely and sucking at everything I can just turn on the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The only thing Slaine had left was the sympathy of the audience and he couldn't even hang onto that. :smugdog:

• Locked thread