Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
ALL THE MISSILES HIT THE TARGET

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Or no wait is it EVERY SINGLE MISSILE HIT THE TARGET

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

One of my other favorite lines is

I DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOURE TALKING ABOUT

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
From the GBS Limp Bizkit thread:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I guess if Andrew WK can make a Gundam album and play with a HCM-Pro Nu Gundam in the liner notes, Fred Durst can have a Rei statue. :japan:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anyone who happens to be into JRPGs, they announced that the new Tales games, Tales of Zesteria, is going to include Evangelion-themed costumes for the main cast. (The 4 Eva pilots and Misato.)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Anyone who happens to be into JRPGs, they announced that the new Tales games, Tales of Zesteria, is going to include Evangelion-themed costumes for the main cast. (The 4 Eva pilots and Misato.)

I hope the main villain will be dressed as Pen-Pen in a surprise twist.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I hope the main villain will be Pen-Pen in a surprise twist.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Raxivace posted:

I hope the main villain will be dressed as Pen-Pen in a surprise twist.

This but directed at 3.0+1.0

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

just got done watching it again.

episodes 25 & 26 has to be the most positive end to an anime i've ever seen.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

LaTex Fetish posted:

just got done watching it again.

episodes 25 & 26 has to be the most positive end to an anime i've ever seen.

Yeah, I actually really love the last part of episode 26. I think most of the backlash against those episodes is from fans who read the rumor that the death threats in EoE were referring to the way the TV series ended and base their whole opinion on that; it's actually a really thematically appropriate and beautiful ending. It's also really unintentionally hilarious in the dub, and that probably had a negative impact on people too; "It's all in your imagination, you megadork!"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So I've been rewatching the show and had no idea there were any Director's Cut episodes. I finally saw them for the first time and my mind is pretty blown now drat. Time for Episodes 25 and 26 now I guess.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

So I've been rewatching the show and had no idea there were any Director's Cut episodes. I finally saw them for the first time and my mind is pretty blown now drat. Time for Episodes 25 and 26 now I guess.

I am currently showing someone the show and I'm dreading when these episodes come up. I can't decide whether to go for the Director's Cut episodes or not.
I don't have much of an opinion on which version of the lance throw I like better, they both have their ups and downs. Seeing Lilith's legs grow back is a plus. The extra footage of the expedition and I think there's a scene with Asuka and Kanji? Those are nice to have seen.
I guess my bigger problem is the Armisael fight. It's so different. It uses designs that are not part of the show (white Rei, Rei heads popping out of things). The entire thing with white Rei growing out of the angel is dumb. Actually I'm sure they used a shot from End of Eva in it when you see white Rei blink. Let's not even speak of the Angel Tower you can't even make out.
The DC of episode 24 has a scene where Kaworu talks to 15 SEELE monoliths. What's up with that?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's not like a five star restaurant meal; show then the directors cut cause more is better also it has some pretty nicely animated bits.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Original episodes are designed to lead into 25/26, DC episodes are designed to lead into EoE. So, maybe both?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

The DC of episode 24 has a scene where Kaworu talks to 15 SEELE monoliths. What's up with that?

This is pretty much the big issue with the DC episodes, IMO. Was it just supposed to be SEELE bamboozling Kaworu into thinking they supported his aims? They lay out that Adam is "with" Gendo, why is he then surprised that Lilith is the one on the cross in Terminal Dogma? Why are there all the sudden 15 instead of the usual number?

But also gently caress it, it just adds more confusion to the confusion pile, so you should use the DC ones. Give them the Full Eva Experience™

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
He's not tLking to Seele he's talking to the dead angels

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SHISHKABOB posted:

He's not tLking to Seele he's talking to the dead angels

It's the wrong number for that, too, unless you count Israfel twice.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Idk let's count adam because reasons but not Lilith. Or maybe vice versa. Or maybe the fifteenth one is humanity. Or maybe it's the fourteen dead Angels and Kiel or w/e his name is spelled.

I keep thinking I gotta go rewatch this show and I should it's been too long.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's just regular SEELE, but by some strange coincidence it was Bring Your Daughter to Work Day.

(Except for Gendo. Every day is "bring your daughter to work day" when you're Gendo.)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
whoah

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
I am in the process of rewatching it and it makes less sense than I thought it did and I am more greatly and subtly disturbed than my original viewing

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

DiscoMouse posted:

I am in the process of rewatching it and it makes less sense than I thought it did and I am more greatly and subtly disturbed than my original viewing

drat that sucks because I thought the whole anime was just "DEEP: THE ANIME" the first time I watched it and mostly just enjoyed the battle sequences and shinji raging in eva 001.

but every time I've rewatched it I've liked it for how real the characters were and how they connected. especially connected to kaiji and misato and later to shinji and gendo.

LaTex Fetish fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 24, 2014

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Yes, it is a classic Japanese cartoon.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

asuka is my waifu

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

We just wanna thank you.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Alright so like I don't think I've ever really truly appreciated how loving awesome the fight is in the second episode. Like I feel like I got it a little bit. BUt I just watched it again and like HOLY loving poo poo THAT WAS AMAZING.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

Alright so like I don't think I've ever really truly appreciated how loving awesome the fight is in the second episode. Like I feel like I got it a little bit. BUt I just watched it again and like HOLY loving poo poo THAT WAS AMAZING.

One thing I really like about episode 2 is that you don't see the fight in real time. They go through most of the episode, making you think perhaps Shinji pulled this off somehow, and then you see the flashback and suddenly EVA-01 turns into an unholy abomination and goes Berserk and it's all :stare:.

1.11 changes this so you see EVA-01 going Berserk in real time as opposed to in flashback...but then they play out the rest of the section anyways just like in episode 2. It's odd.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
i just fufcking love this whoel dgoddamn show its like so amazing i love it so much in a totally personally way that is like so deeply connected to my life and my growth as a person and I love it so much I lveo you evangelion so mcuh

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

i just fufcking love this whoel dgoddamn show its like so amazing i love it so much in a totally personally way that is like so deeply connected to my life and my growth as a person and I love it so much I lveo you evangelion so mcuh

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Rei is such a fantastically interesting character watching this this time around like I always never paid attention to her subtle ess but now it's like whoah and poo poo and HEAH

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
THIS SHOW FUXKING RUKES

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

ADTRW 2.0: You Can (Not) Post Coherently

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SHISHKABOB posted:

interdasting. peresonely, i herad abote tihs showe ~12 year aggo adn dismissed it becuase it had gratuitious christianity rite ther in th tittle. Later I heard it had an actual character-driven story in there somewhere and the Angels seemed like they'd make for good fights so I gave the show a shot this year and it had all of those things. A fun show.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
True story, the played Ep1 of the dub at my high school's first Anime Club meeting.

Then they played about 10 minutes of Fist of the North Star.

And that is the story of how my high school' Anime Club only had one meeting.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

And that is the story of how my high school' Anime Club only had one meeting.

You made the right choice.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ya'll didn't even get to the good stuff, like Smegma Princess Chobits.

I'm glad I've got the frame of reference to deal with this poo poo. The thousand episode stare.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

I used to watch eva and post on benzos too!

really though I hope you continue your commentary.
also what happened to the guy who was watching it for the first time, did he ever finish it? Bisse or something.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

the escape goat posted:

I used to watch eva and post on benzos too!

really though I hope you continue your commentary.
also what happened to the guy who was watching it for the first time, did he ever finish it? Bisse or something.

He finished the series. It was funny. Don't know if he watched the films.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

THIS SHOW FUXKING RUKES

Yes, it is a classic Japanese cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Raxivace posted:

One thing I really like about episode 2 is that you don't see the fight in real time. They go through most of the episode, making you think perhaps Shinji pulled this off somehow, and then you see the flashback and suddenly EVA-01 turns into an unholy abomination and goes Berserk and it's all :stare:.

1.11 changes this so you see EVA-01 going Berserk in real time as opposed to in flashback...but then they play out the rest of the section anyways just like in episode 2. It's odd.

Well, it would feel a bit more contrived if a movie suddenly jumped ahead only to flash back again 5 minutes later. That works well in a TV show with 20 minute episodes but I don't think it'd translate.