Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Saoshyant posted:

You need two things:

a) cl_forcepreload 1 on your autoexec file. Forces preload of all assets except some voice samples. Maps take longer to load, but it doesn't need to keep streaming parts of the map from your HDD.

b) Unloaded voices will still cause freezes if your HDD is either 1) slow or 2) fragmented as hell. Either you keep the TF2 directory defragmented every time there's a new update (you can use something like WinContig which I use) or buy a SSD.

Why does this happen? The Source engine was made for FPS games with a limited number of audio clips and graphical textures. TF2 with its 9 characters each with a million lines while 18-32 people on the server have their own combination of unique, decorative items (some of them with special effects on top of it) is pushing the engine for more than it can actually do.

You'll notice those stutters aren't clockwork. They usually happen when there's a domination or taunt line you haven't heard yet on that specific match, or two new players joined in and their user avatars hadn't been saved to your HDD yet (I have yet to figure out how to disable this), and other such similar things.

Nice try but no cigar. I already have the forcepreload on my config, doesn't help. As for the other point, the HDD is brand new and I haven't switched stuff around so much it should affect performance.

The stutters ARE clockwork. I just played a bit just to test if that registry editing would fix it and nope. It happened exactly on the clock, just like every other time. It cannot be a coincidence. Doesn't matter when I join the server, what map we are playing, how the teams are doing, always the same stutter the same time.

Having an SSD might help, but getting that right now is not an option. Plus, I have a strong suspicion the problem is elsewhere. Could be related to sounds somehow anyway, since that's one aspect I haven't really tried anything major in yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfjM3XDxbMY

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Airblasting - one of the great mysteries of life :stare:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Apparently airblasting from above used to make the target stick into the ground. Now it bounces them up a bit, allowing you to smack them.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

A degreaser that airblasts people towards you instead of away would be amazing. Airblast rockets for a rocket jump towards the enemy that fired it. :black101:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

notZaar posted:

I wish people wouldn't just blindly vote. I got kicked off a server for "cheating". I wasn't even playing well or topping any boards.

I'm no great shakes as a sniper but I was knocking the pubbies dead on 2Fort last night. I was afraid that they might actually do something similar to me.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

A degreaser that airblasts people towards you instead of away would be amazing. Airblast rockets for a rocket jump towards the enemy that fired it. :black101:

Except Valve's already said that a vacuum effect wreaks hell on their server prediction

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Canuck-Errant posted:

Except Valve's already said that a vacuum effect wreaks hell on their server prediction

They were talking about a "continuous pull" sort of vacuum -- which would invalidate the prediction repeatedly for as long as the button is held down, instead of with a single instantaneous change like normal airburst.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

yayyy

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Nicely done, anime avatar! How many tours was that?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
eleven, it says so right there in the corner!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Samopsa posted:

Actually presumably he's done it enough times to hit the rollover and this is actually tour number 999999 + 11.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Samopsa posted:

Yeah, but you didn't account for the factor of pottis. Pottis is a significant factor in competitive MvM, in which I'm heavily involved. That's probably why you're still getting Killstreak Fabricator-based awards.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

you motherfucker

also timg this please

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
im quite proud of my australium flamethrower and axentinguishers. get a lot of team mates stop, look at me and then often die to a sniper. this part makes me feel bad though

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

Great Beer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePXL91VzWWQ
You don't need a vacuum airblast for that.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQNx0yvnMRQ

:stare:

I think we found a winner.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
So here's a first for me. On a valve server where I was wasting people pretty nicely as vanilla demoman, a guy gets pissed and literally switches teams just to attempt to votekick me.

Then I get cussed out a bunch by another guy who thinks I'm 'spamming' for 'aiming at targets and shooting them with stickies.'

Yeah...

He also claimed I was a weak demo for not using my pipe launcher - shortly before I airshot him with it. :allears:

This is how the game ended, for anyone who cares:

After that, I switched teams 'to make you bite your tongue as I help you' and the guy kept chewing me out for a bit - I wound up going medic to help the team and then that same guy topped the scoreboards of the now-stacked teams with no real opposition as spy, and bragged about it.

Oh valve servers. :o:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 23, 2014

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Actually presumably he's done it enough times to hit the rollover and this is actually tour number 999999 + 11.

Actually given how old the code in this game is it'd be more like 266 tours

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Edit: Ignore this, I have a bad memory. Different item type.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 23, 2014

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

That is absolutely phenomenal

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

:stare: is right. Guddamn.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Okay, that was awesome.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

:stare: So when does voting start?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

:stare: So when does voting start?

Tomorrow, going through the 29th. Time to :goon: this video and get it voted up to the top of the "Best Overall" pile.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Finally sat down and watched this. Really stellar! I just wish the animation Gray Mann were better cause him moving very stiff distracted me for a bit. Everything else looked good.

The story overrides everything else though - definitely one of the strongest by far.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Welp, sorry other entries.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

"Equipped" spelled wrong in 1:19.

1/10

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I've been trying to get back into playing TF2 after taking a break for the last six months or so, but I've run into a problem. Whenever I try to connect to a server, it seems to just hang when it tries to retrieve server info. No activity in the progress bar, nothing happens when I try to click cancel, and if I go into Task Manager, it's listed as not responding. Never had this issue before, anyone have any ideas whats going on or how to fix it?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

It's always done that for me, it usually hangs for 30 seconds or so, sometimes longer. I just alt+tab out before it hits that stage, and it won't accept focus again until it's ready.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's connecting you to the server. The game isn't actually frozen. If you wait and then it connects, that's what it was doing, but if you wait a crazy long time and it just hangs there forever, something is probably busted somewhere.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Solumin posted:

Apparently airblasting from above used to make the target stick into the ground. Now it bounces them up a bit, allowing you to smack them.

I miss the downward airblast freezing people so very much. Bring that poo poo back, Valve! :(

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I put together a slightly more thought-out sticky jumping tutorial that focuses on players new to jumping. Also threw in some thoughts for intermediate players that might brew some new ideas :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0H5-wdzCfE

To get around Youtube bothering me about copyright, I spent some time jamming with my buddies and used some of that for the background music.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I put together a slightly more thought-out sticky jumping tutorial that focuses on players new to jumping. Also threw in some thoughts for intermediate players that might brew some new ideas :)

Thanks for putting this together. I'm looking forward to your next video. :)

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Here's a thing of beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUhcsZTuwMU&t=32s

Workshop page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=316472719

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Oh man, zombie spycrab. Amazing

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Why is zombie sniper holding his dick? Is he worried it's gonna fall off, since he's rotting and bits are falling off?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Slime posted:

Why is zombie sniper holding his dick? Is he worried it's gonna fall off, since he's rotting and bits are falling off?

Jarate pills do some hosed up things to you.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Voting for Saxxy's should be starting tonight, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Otacon posted:

Voting for Saxxy's should be starting tonight, no?

http://steamcommunity.com/saxxyawards2014

I guess? Isn't loading for me.

• Locked thread