Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
You've had success with A1 Cardone rebuilds? I recall DrPain refusing to let those parts into his shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Raluek posted:

You've had success with A1 Cardone rebuilds? I recall DrPain refusing to let those parts into his shop.

Well, no leaks and everything worked for the couple hour drive through town last night.

Maybe they're okay this time since I didn't let them into my shop and did the work in the driveway. :downs:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Hey, rock on; technically correct is the best kind of correct.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Raluek posted:

I dont know how he managed to convince people pay what they were probably paying. There must be a lot of lovely shops in Vegas to make people believe more expensive = better.
Our customers have a hard time paying for the cheap poo poo as it is and we're considered very competitive.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 21, 2014

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
$70 CDN/side wasn't the worst deal out there and warranty issues are much easier to deal with locally. Toss them the receipt and part and walk back out with a new one.

The wife delayed my early morning install plan for some family stuff, so the passenger side is painted since she gave me "10 minutes" to clean up my half started mess and I said gently caress it and painted it instead.

Seat Safety Switch told me to get busy with some "Formula 3000" clear jizm stuff to protect my wagon as it starts to die.

I lazily shot some spots with some rust convertor spray (also tagged the diff bolts because painted bolts are better than rusted ones). Filled the front control arms with the clear spray stuff too because the wagon issue.

All done. No leaks so far. Thank you A1 Cardone for working thus far.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

Tis a wise man who knows that neutral colored cars must be photographed against a colorful background, while colorful cars must be shot against a neutral background.

Nothing more to add, except that I've enjoyed following your running battles against rust for years now and I must say that you and your lovely, lovely Subaru should rage, rage against the coming of that blight.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

A bit surprised you don't run zinc plated rotors up there. I don't live in rust country but the set on my wagon are almost 3 years and 30k miles old now and they still look really nice. Plus since it's plating it gets in to the vents and keeps it all corrosion free. I will always use them from now on.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

A bit surprised you don't run zinc plated rotors up there. I don't live in rust country but the set on my wagon are almost 3 years and 30k miles old now and they still look really nice. Plus since it's plating it gets in to the vents and keeps it all corrosion free. I will always use them from now on.

I run "give me the cheap rotors and good pads" system from the old parts store I used to work at. They still give me a deal there ;)

Also, buying anything fancy like zinc coating rotors in Canada is like converting Celsius to Fahrenheit the lazy way - double the price and add 32(for tax).

It's a daily with a bunch of other issues. Rusty rotors are probably the least of the wagon's worries.

Edit: Maybe I should have ignored the safety issue and spent the money on stickers and go fast parts like ol' Tussey. Probably get less flack.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

LloydDobler posted:

I've got the zinc plated :siren: Brembo :siren: rotors all round and they lasted about a season before rusting up like any other rotor, in salt-the-earth Ontario I doubt the coating would do much better. As mentioned, not really worth the price of admission.

Embrace the rust and you'll have inner peace.

And those gold wheels look good on your wagon sock, very nice!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Sorry, wasn't trying to bust your nads or anything, I just figured they'd do something. But yeah no matter how you guys keep describing and showing us the corrosion, there's still a tendency for some of us to believe we can help somehow. heh.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

LloydDobler posted:

Sorry, wasn't trying to bust your nads or anything, I just figured they'd do something. But yeah no matter how you guys keep describing and showing us the corrosion, there's still a tendency for some of us to believe we can help somehow. heh.

I'm in the process of patenting an overhead sprinkler system for the average Canadian's garage.

It'll be just like automatic fire sprinklers, except it will exude a fine mist of formula 3000, or fluid film every time you drive in.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'd like to be your south of the border dealer for that system, but I settled for just not replacing the cam seals on my EJ251-22E like an idiot so it handles the coating all by itself since I don't have a garage to install such a thing in.

I agree that coated rotors are pretty silly here - they only last as long as the coating under the pads, which isn't very long since zinc is softer than the copper bits-n-pieces in most semimetallic pads.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Eagerly awaiting AISS and the arrival of Socking-Claus.

(really just bumping to keep awesomeness in this thread alive)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Edit - Wrong Thread! Reposted in the 600 dollar truck thread!

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 30, 2014

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Sell MR2 and actually have room and be a able to prioritize money to work on Miata?

Y/N

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sockington posted:

Sell MR2 and actually have room and be a able to prioritize money to work on Miata?

Y/N

Yes. It was your dad's so it should take priority.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sockington posted:

Y/N

Miata is always the answer!

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Sockington posted:

Y/N

:(

Follow your heart.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sockington posted:

Y/N

Isn't the MR2 for the kid?

Enough of your cars have died in the name of practicality. Surely you meant to ask instead if you should LS swap one or both of the cars?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

You can always find another fun project car for the kid.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Make the Miata amazing and like new for when the kid is ready to drive....if it can outlive the rust

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

kastein posted:

I agree that coated rotors are pretty silly here - they only last as long as the coating under the pads, which isn't very long since zinc is softer than the copper bits-n-pieces in most semimetallic pads.

It's for the non-friction surfaces.

I have zinc rotors on the E36 and they're maybe five years old at this point. Still 90% silver with basically no rust at all on the non-friction areas. Of course I live pretty far south, but the coating works great for us.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
If any of you want a MR2 shell and are in Ontario/Michigan, PM or email me (username at the google mails) and we can work something out.

I really just want to be able to enjoy the Miata again :(

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
uhhhh. I'm in ottawa and I like mr2 things. PM sent!

TWSS fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 29, 2014

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm on vacation so if you want some help TWSS let me know. Of course if I show up his Subaru will break.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Damnit, I just answered a call from Canada post and i'm going to be working all week. I'll see if i can cancel Friday and come down over the weekend. My girlfriend's family farm is just outside of Stratford and they have a huge barn with a concrete floor that would be a good environment for storing the chassis until my shell rots out.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
TWSS is the new owner of the MR2. Money in transit now through the majesty of Canadian money transfer. Looks like the MR2 will still be able to play a staring role in the forums, my wife can have a new fridge, and my Miata can take center stage this spring with income tax.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A happy ending!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Rhyno posted:

A happy ending!

Unlike your luck with some of your sales, I was HOUNDED by a half dozen guys wanted to buy it first. I kept telling them work and stuff to give TWSS a chance to send funds and secure the car. I've never had anything sell like that before.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sockington posted:

Unlike your luck with some of your sales, I was HOUNDED by a half dozen guys wanted to buy it first. I kept telling them work and stuff to give TWSS a chance to send funds and secure the car. I've never had anything sell like that before.

I just feel like God is telling you to sell it to me for $5 and this half eaten ham.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sockington posted:

TWSS is the new owner of the MR2. Money in transit now through the majesty of Canadian money transfer. Looks like the MR2 will still be able to play a staring role in the forums, my wife can have a new fridge, and my Miata can take center stage this spring with income tax.

Good choice, you won't regret it. Your Miata is already a terrific car and will leave you with more time to spend with your kids. The MR2 would have been cool, but it also would have been a huge time sink and your kids would know their dad as "that guy that lives in the garage that drinks cider, wears greasy jorts and is kinda smelly"

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

leica posted:

"that guy that lives in the garage that drinks cider, wears greasy jorts and is kinda smelly"

This also describes Miata enthusiasts unfortunately

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

leica posted:

"that guy that lives in the garage that drinks cider, wears greasy jorts and is kinda smelly"

That sounds like a pretty good dad, to be honest.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I just feel like God is telling you to sell it to me for $5 and this half eaten ham.

This is an actual quote from another human being isn't it...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

extreme_accordion posted:

This is an actual quote from another human being isn't it...

I had a guy try to get me to sell him my priced-at-$5000 truck for $1000 because God told him that was a good price. He the tried to Jesus guilt trip me into it.

Another guy offered to make me dinner every Monday if I would accept payments

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Rhyno posted:

I had a guy try to get me to sell him my priced-at-$5000 truck for $1000 because God told him that was a good price. He the tried to Jesus guilt trip me into it.

Whenever anyone offers me payments I say yes, on the condition that they only get the item once all of the payments have been made.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Rhyno posted:

That's just fuckin' weird.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I always take payments on cars.... one easy payment of my asking price, in cash. It really isn't very hard...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Cross-post from the stupid questions thread, I guess there aren't many Ontario AI goons lurking over there.

I'll be moving from Saskatchewan to Ontario in April, and soon after I start my new job there I'll want to buy a car. I'll sort out budget and so forth and post in the AI-meets-BFC thread when I've got some numbers, but I'm confused about the process. I'll be moving to Kitchener/Waterloo, if that makes any difference.

I read the relevant webpages, and I understand I'll have 6 days after buying the car to get it registered and plated. They (Ministry of Transportation) will charge me 13% sales tax on the value of the car (actual price or book value, whichever is higher) and will want to see some documents, like a safety certificate and (maybe?) an emissions test. Plus proof of insurance.

I'm a little confused about the process here. Is it:
1. Find a car, test-drive it, buy it
2. Go to an insurance broker and get car insurance
3. Go to a MOT office and register the car, get plates.
4. Drive, be happy.
?
or do I have the order of operations wrong?

My confusion is: can you drive around for most of a week without plates? Do you get temporary plates of some kind when you buy a car? Do I ask the seller to leave the plates on the car until I can get the registration and insurance all arranged? Can you get an emissions test with temporary or previous-owner's plates?

• Locked thread