Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ehud posted:

Annie Potts doing a bit as Janine. She talks about how the Ghostbusters have been in business for 30 years and stuff.

I thought it was pretty cute. Glad I called it.

Also, watching through the new set, and am disappointed we didn't get more deleted scenes. I was hoping to see the whole Fort scene from the original, as well as the bits where Ray starts to lose it in II.

But it's still pretty nifty. They look great, and it's very nice to finally have II on blu-ray. Glad to have the music videos. Now I have Columbo cheering on the Ghostbusters on blu-ray. What more could I ask for?

edit: Oh God is that Donald Trump in the "On Our Own" music video?

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Has anyone picked up the blu-ray pack yet?

EDIT: YESSSSSSSSS!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z022BbU81BE

EDIT 2: And it's still missing stuff, like Ray driving like a maniac, and the subway monster. Welp.

Well, that's neat. Most of the deleted scenes felt pretty redundant though, so I guess I'm glad we were never missing much.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Scroto Baggins posted:

Well, that's neat. Most of the deleted scenes felt pretty redundant though, so I guess I'm glad we were never missing much.

Well it seems like a few of them were re-written into different scenes that ended up in the final movie. And thank god they did. I know it's probably just a rough cut, but the timing and pacing in that alternate "all you can eat at the Sizzler" scene is DREADFUL.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Top to bottom: From top to bottom: 1999 DVD, 1999 DVD, 2009 Blu-ray, 2013 4K remastered Blu-ray, 2014 Blu-ray re-release. (And I'm about 90 percent certain there's a VHS copy floating around somewhere in the house.)

Don't judge me.

Edit: After watching the deleted scenes, I think this gives me and echoplex more groundwork to figure out what was re-shot and when -- Ramis' hair is completely different in the two versions of the "Sizzler" scene, and I think Hudson's might be, too, which would suggest that was part of one of the many re-shoots. Obviously there was material added in the final cut to the scene at Gracie Mansion, too, but we already knew that from the trailer.

I'm also disappointed that the collection isn't exhaustive. Beyond the "Ray goes crazy" segment already mentioned, I was really hoping to see the Sherman Tully footage with Eugene Levy.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 20, 2014

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
I am so grateful that every single one of those Ghostbusters deleted scenes isn't in the movie. They are all so so crappy. The couple in the Sedgwick, the hobos. Yuck.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Someone on GBFans added in the stream for Louis' scene. Kinda neat, but still reeks of RGB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNsqa2EJHQ8

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Timby posted:

(And I'm about 90 percent certain there's a VHS copy floating around somewhere in the house.)

Pretty sure I still have my original VHS release in a box of old tapes. It was the VERY first videotape we bought when we got our first VCR back when I was a kid.

Now I feel old.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I remember the videotape for Ghostbusters 2. The thing that sticks out in my mind is how it was letterboxed AND pan and scanned. I think the film was letterboxed to a 1.66:1 aspect ratio, and they just panned and scanned from the 2.35:1 frame into that aspect ratio. It was just kind of bizarre to have this letterbox tape but not actually be real letterbox. I have no clue why they did it that way, but that's the way they went.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cemetry Gator posted:

I remember the videotape for Ghostbusters 2. The thing that sticks out in my mind is how it was letterboxed AND pan and scanned. I think the film was letterboxed to a 1.66:1 aspect ratio, and they just panned and scanned from the 2.35:1 frame into that aspect ratio. It was just kind of bizarre to have this letterbox tape but not actually be real letterbox. I have no clue why they did it that way, but that's the way they went.

Oh my god, I remember that! It was my only 'widescreen' movie I owned.

I also grew up mostly watching the tv edit of GB1. Glad to see the alternate takes on the new bluray release.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I am so grateful that every single one of those Ghostbusters deleted scenes isn't in the movie. They are all so so crappy. The couple in the Sedgwick, the hobos. Yuck.

I feel the same way about the Dumb and Dumber deleted scenes.

A lot of it is deleted "extended" scenes, but it makes a HUGE difference.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CaptainHollywood posted:

I feel the same way about the Dumb and Dumber deleted scenes.

A lot of it is deleted "extended" scenes, but it makes a HUGE difference.

Speaking of Dumb and Dumber, here's something I may have noticed, or I could just be making up my own connection...

The deleted lines from when they're in the hotel has Lloyd making a bunch of gay jokes and comments about Harry. He's actually kind of mean and unrelenting with them.

Later on, when they go to Aspen, they walk past another couple, and, as we all remember, Harry says 'jeez, wouldja look at the butt on that!'. Lloyd then says 'Yeah, he must work out'. Normally, you'd think 'oh Lloyd totally misunderstood' but he also gives Harry this sly look, like 'you like that, don't you?'

This is an incredibly pointless derail, but I think the scene was a call back to stuff that didn't make it into the final cut.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

A pretty good article detailing (again) the goodness of Ghostbusters 2.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/ghostbusters/32190/defending-ghostbusters-ii

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Boomerjinks posted:

As an experiment I wrote a quick blurb about a short comment made by Aykroyd well over a year ago and posted it to the movie car Facebook page.

It was shared hundreds of times and reached nearly 50,000 people in a day and a half. People are stupid and they will believe and share just about anything without a second thought.

Lol, Ghostbusters grabs a Prius for the new car

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

A pretty good article detailing (again) the goodness of Ghostbusters 2.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/ghostbusters/32190/defending-ghostbusters-ii

That article is poorly written and raises a few good points. Just like Ghostbusters 2.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Scroto Baggins posted:

That article is poorly written and raises a few good points. Just like Ghostbusters 2.

Well, much like Ghostbusters 2, I still liked it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Short, but pointless.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Well, much like Ghostbusters 2, I still liked it.

I agree. And maybe it is because it's one of the first films I remember seeing in theaters, but I like GB2 way more than I probably should. I used to play the VHS constantly and rock out to the soundtrack playing over the end credits.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is there any site that has pretty much any and every detail about the Ecto-1/Ecto-1A? I'm not a car guy by any means, I don't know poo poo about poo poo, but for that car, I'm willing to learn.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Is there any site that has pretty much any and every detail about the Ecto-1/Ecto-1A? I'm not a car guy by any means, I don't know poo poo about poo poo, but for that car, I'm willing to learn.

Last one I saw that was nearly comprehensive was a geocities site that is now dead. The GBfans wiki page has a ton of info. There used to be an Ecto-1 builders forum that had part numbers and dimensions, but it is gone now as well.

Is there anything specific you want to know, or an area that is of interest? What the parts are, information and history of the original car, etc?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

I'm pretty sure there's a thread about it on TheRPF, they're usually pretty accurate.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
welp.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

... does... does this mean Dan's most recent announcement actually turned out to be true?

Awesome. Hope he and Winston get cameos :)

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Ugh. Boo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My only issue with Feig's plan for a third film is that it's looking like it'll be a reboot. Just make a sequel!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Meh, this is probably the second best outcome we could have hoped for. (Best would have been if Phil Lord and Chris Miller took it.)

I just hope it's not a total reboot. There's no point in trying to make a remake/reboot of an already perfect movie. Just make a sequel.

EDIT: And please God no Melissa McCarthy.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 8, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Feig's a perfect choice. You know he was one of the nerds who loved it to death. He's talked about what an influence The Jerk was on his adolescence, and I feel there's a pretty big overlap there between audiences even if the movies strike different tones.

Still, how many scripts from Akroyd have died on arrival?

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
Probably only two or three drafts of Hellbent. That was Sony's go-to in 1997, then shelved. When the project rose from the grave in the late 2000s it was always a new duo or solitary writer.

Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky were Harold Ramis' picks before Year One bombed and those scripts stuck around for a while. I heard from a friend that Eisenberg and Stupnitsky dreaded the entire experience-- at any point Ramis, Aykroyd, Reitman, or the studio could demand an entire wipe and start the whole process over while having to simultaneously write two different drafts: one without Murray and one with. Etan Cohen was brought in to polish or rewrite those drafts entirely and then there's a lull. Either the 30th anniversary (or creepily Ramis'death) coupled with Amazing Spider-Man 2's less than stellar franchise opportunities renewed fire underneath Ghostbusters and things started moving behind the scenes to get something ghostbusters into theaters. Lord and Miller sadly passed, Ruben Fleischer may or may not have been courted at one point, there was that weird Max Landis/Nikki Finke sabotage thing that I still think was discussed by higher ups at Sony, and now Feig.

I will be genuinely surprised if the team is entirely female but I fully expect a female lead that is not a damsel in distress. Cautiously excited.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

My only issue with Feig's plan for a third film is that it's looking like it'll be a reboot. Just make a sequel!

Uhhh, why?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I don't have a ton of interest in a reboot. Ghostbusters was great because of the cast. The concept is strong on its own, but it's my favorite comedy because of the guys and their chemistry.

I'll keep up with the project and try to have an open mind, but I don't have a ton of immediate interest.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Why wouldn't I want a reboot? Because I'd rather see a film that acknowledges past gb events, and moves forward, rather than one that starts over.

DirtyDirt
Apr 27, 2005
Chairman Of The Bored
I am curious about who they think would even have charisma to make it genuinely funny. I would hate to see McCarthy, Aubrey Plaza, Amy Schumer, or Sara Silverman. I think they are unfunny. I think Keri Kinner from Reno 911 is hilarious, Amy Sedaris has a great manic energy, Wiig, maybe even Vanessa Bayer. It will end up being megan fox and emma stone with mccarthy.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

garfunkel and oates musical ghostbusters

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Why wouldn't I want a reboot? Because I'd rather see a film that acknowledges past gb events, and moves forward, rather than one that starts over.

What would it acknowledge, given that at least two of the original Ghostbusters are not going to show up in the film and at best you'll end up in a Ghostbusters 2 "oh yeah that's all just made up" style of retcon? (Except slightly less silly because it's been 30 years)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

computer parts posted:

What would it acknowledge, given that at least two of the original Ghostbusters are not going to show up in the film and at best you'll end up in a Ghostbusters 2 "oh yeah that's all just made up" style of retcon? (Except slightly less silly because it's been 30 years)

I guess I'm just really completely and utterly sick of reboots.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DirtyDirt posted:

I am curious about who they think would even have charisma to make it genuinely funny. I would hate to see McCarthy, Aubrey Plaza, Amy Schumer, or Sara Silverman. I think they are unfunny. I think Keri Kinner from Reno 911 is hilarious, Amy Sedaris has a great manic energy, Wiig, maybe even Vanessa Bayer. It will end up being megan fox and emma stone with mccarthy.

A Ghostbuster take on Weigel would be pretty hysterical, I gotta admit.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/10/08/paul-feig-ghostbusters-female/

Looks like it's going to be an all-female cast and a total reboot. On one hand, it does seem like it would be hard to make a direct sequel and maintain the same vibe as the original films. Some of the charm of the first two movies was that no one really believed in ghosts until everything went to poo poo (and promptly chose to believe an alternate explanation in which the world was not doomed as soon as they had the chance). Setting a sequel in the same world where everyone is already used to potential apocalypses makes it a bit more difficult to create the same scope.

On the other hand, most reboots are terrible, too many reboots are being made, and people are getting sick of origin stories. The fact that this is being made as a reboot suggests that the production team doesn't have the ability to create a good story within the existing framework.

The fact that they're casting all of the Ghostbusters as women does have a lot of potential if they can find actresses who create a good team dynamic. If the cast works well together and their interaction is unique, it might give the reboot a better chance of being judged on its own merits instead of being contrasted directly against the original.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rachel, when someone asks you if you're a goddess you say YES.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ghostbustiers

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?
Why do I have the feeling that this will just be "bridesmaids" mixed with "the heat" and unlicensed nuclear accelerators. Considering I really didn't like either of the two films I just mentioned, I am not optimistic about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
A genderswapped reboot just sounds like some internet fanfiction bullshit to me.
Like if someone scoured Tumblr all night just to say "Here's the best we got, Ghostbusters, BUT they're all women this time, or steampunk Ghostbusters".

• Locked thread