Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Kurtofan posted:

Honestly I fail to see the problem, it's not like the next handheld is going to be called 3DS something.
Yeah, assuming they stop selling the standard 3DS and XL when the new versions are released it makes more sense than giving it a new name like 3DSi or something and creating any more confusion about whether it is a completely new system, an upgrade, or a cheaper downgrade like the 2DS.

Keeping the same name also means they don't have to put stickers on game boxes saying "3DS games work on this too" like they did when the 2DS came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Neddy Seagoon posted:

True, but the Nintendo's of Australia and Europe are semi-connected. Our Club Nintendo's actually connecting to Europe if you look at the URL.

http://club.nintendo.com.au/NOE/en_AU/club_nintendo/index_club-fwd.jsp

Not saying it isn't possible, just unlikely. The only real reason they might do it is because we get it months ahead of everyone else, but that sort of thing's only ever been done to curb cheaper import pricing (Persona 4 Arena). Our high prices might actually save our asses for once :v:.
Huh, the Club Nintendo codes are definitely different between Australia and Europe though, I happen to know this because I have some imported Australian (Wii) games (I didn't even know that they were, I just ordered them normally from Amazon and when they arrived they turned out to be the Austrialian editions of the games, but since they worked fine on my European Wii U I didn't see any reason to complain) but where the Club Nintendo code didn't work here in Europe.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Quest mode is perfect for getting you sucked in. I keep thinking "Yeah ok one more song" then I see the next one and think ok sure another one. Also keeps you working towards goals instead of just randomly selecting stuff from a playlist (don't get me wrong that's fun too). And the RPG-lite stuff keeps some sort of progression going at all times too, you want to unlock new characters and then when you do you want to level them so you play more so you unlock more stuff.

Like it feels like it was perfectly designed to just be addictive. It helps that the actual music and gameplay are good :v:

I'm mostly adddicted to versus online, which also means that despite having played for 30-40 hours by now I haven't even heard a large chunk of the FMS:s and none of the EMS:s. Not to mention that since Versus games don't count towards your clearing stats, out of the 223 songs I've only cleared 62 on Basic, 56 on Expert and 20 on Ultimate so far. :shepface:

I even like doing Basic tracks still since you can chill and focus on the music rather than the notes. It's also surprisingly intense in Versus because while it's super easy, it's super easy for both of you so a single Great instead of Critical can lose you the whole thing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kanfy posted:

I'm mostly adddicted to versus online, which also means that despite having played for 30-40 hours by now I haven't even heard a large chunk of the FMS:s and none of the EMS:s. Not to mention that since Versus games don't count towards your clearing stats, out of the 223 songs I've only cleared 62 on Basic, 56 on Expert and 20 on Ultimate so far. :shepface:

I even like doing Basic tracks still since you can chill and focus on the music rather than the notes. It's also surprisingly intense in Versus because while it's super easy, it's super easy for both of you so a single Great instead of Critical can lose you the whole thing.

Yeah I wish they at least counted clears for Versus, it's weird how they almost exist outside the game. You get extra cards and unlock maps but 0 exp and drops otherwise and it counts as you having never played it.

I still really like unlocking all those maps to play through later though, since people try to put up their very best which tend to be better than the random quests you unlock.

I've actually moved up to mostly Ultimate tracks in single player but yeah on Versus I still like Expert, Ultimate is way too chaotic with some of these bursts. Judgement feels like an instant loss on Ultimate.

Game is so good, I'm so glad I didn't skip it because Smash is out soon.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I've actually moved up to mostly Ultimate tracks in single player but yeah on Versus I still like Expert, Ultimate is way too chaotic with some of these bursts. Judgement feels like an instant loss on Ultimate.

Well, you can play Ultimates in versus with ex bursts disabled for a reason. Some of them are all but impossible with bursts unless you get super lucky, Force Your Way and IX's battle theme are a couple that I've found so far.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PrBacterio posted:

Huh, the Club Nintendo codes are definitely different between Australia and Europe though, I happen to know this because I have some imported Australian (Wii) games (I didn't even know that they were, I just ordered them normally from Amazon and when they arrived they turned out to be the Austrialian editions of the games, but since they worked fine on my European Wii U I didn't see any reason to complain) but where the Club Nintendo code didn't work here in Europe.

It's a tacit "don't import, you should buy locally" thing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

How many stars do Australians get from retail 3DS and digital 3DS games? I just checked the Australian club catalogue and everything seems way cheaper than its European counterpart. I have to assume, since you have different registration codes, that you earn less stars on average, which would explain the disparity in reward "price".

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I think we get like 200 per game?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Seagull posted:

I think we get like 200 per game?

We get 250 stars per game, 500 per console.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 24, 2014

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That's the same as Europe. You guys do get rewards that cost less stars, then. You even use our website http://stars.nintendo-europe.com/?locale=en_AU but things like dumb notebooks don't cost 4000 stars in your version of it.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It's sort of sporadic if we get what you guys get though. We've been lucky for the last several months, but we straight up didn't get the Mario Kart trophies. We have much lower supplies as well, to the point that a lot of the cooler stuff is gone pretty drat quick.

There was also a year where we had nothing but the notebooks, the shoelaces and the stuff that has been there since Club Nintendo started up here.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
All I want from the AU club Nintendo is the 3ds pouch that's on the EU one. I've wasted so many points on poo poo since it started.

Why yes I would like a Mario hat shaped pencil box that doesn't fit anything normal shaped in it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I got a Year of Luigi commemorative coin from Club Nintendo and I have no regrets

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So is Nintendo just using Australia to test the viability of the New 3DS? Because I can't think of a single reason they would give it to the drat Aussies before the rest of the civilized world.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mabels big day posted:

So is Nintendo just using Australia to test the viability of the New 3DS? Because I can't think of a single reason they would give it to the drat Aussies before the rest of the civilized world.

If I'm right about this;

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just a theory, but I think I might know why we're getting it first. It's probably partly due to the new trade agreement being discussed between Japan and Australia

Then we just became a much more viable market than we used to be, especially with our relative proximity compared to the US or UK.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

mabels big day posted:

They can only produce so many units, and while it apparently wasn't enough to have a proper release in the US or EU this year, they could probably divert enough to at least get it out before Christmas in Aus/NZ. Every Christmas season counts.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I get the feeling a couple weeks after Christmas there will be an announcement for the North American and European markets(January 1st is still 2015, January 29th if you want to make sure the 30 day return period has expired.) It has definitely discouraged me from getting the Persona Q 3DS I would have killed for a couple months ago.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It is kinda surprising they'll miss Christmas with the new model in the EU/US if they have it ready to go for Australia in November.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Katana Gomai posted:

They can only produce so many units, and while it apparently wasn't enough to have a proper release in the US or EU this year, they could probably divert enough to at least get it out before Christmas in Aus/NZ. Every Christmas season counts.

I doubt it. If that was the case, they'd probably pump them out of that big Nintendo store in the US to drive up worldwide hype.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I doubt it. If that was the case, they'd probably pump them out of that big Nintendo store in the US to drive up worldwide hype.

Test markets haven't been a thing since the 90s, either it's the entire US or none of it.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Katana Gomai posted:

Test markets haven't been a thing since the 90s, either it's the entire US or none of it.

This isn't true because columbus gets the mcrib six times a year

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It's a bummer that the N3DS isn't available in Black here. Will probably go for a Metallic Black NXL now.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Do we know the NA colors for the N3DS yet? I really, really want a white one but still remember Reggie blaming our lack of a white option on that Americans don't buy white electronics (you know, like the NINTENDO WII REGGIE?? :argh:)

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Soul Glo posted:

Do we know the NA colors for the N3DS yet? I really, really want a white one but still remember Reggie blaming our lack of a white option on that Americans don't buy white electronics (you know, like the NINTENDO WII REGGIE?? :argh:)

No one bought the white WiiU...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The most likely reason the N3DS isn't coming out here yet is because of NoA and NoE both have inventory of 3DS, 3DSXL, and 2DS they want to move during the holiday before a new one comes out.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rudoku posted:

No one bought the white WiiU...

FTFY

Just saying that excuse don't fly when there's white Vitas, DualShocks, Xbox controllers, etc.

I really want me a white 3DS :negative:

greatn posted:

The most likely reason the N3DS isn't coming out here yet is because of NoA and NoE both have inventory of 3DS, 3DSXL, and 2DS they want to move during the holiday before a new one comes out.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is the reason for all the special 3DS XLs (Smash, Persona Q, NES); they're getting rid of parts ahead of the new product.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Soul Glo posted:

I can sort of see that argument for components that are gonna sit on a shelf with other components. The same logic shouldn't apply to portable consoles (or controllers) though. Heck they sell phones in all kinds of colors lately.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If anyone was looking to snag a Japanese New 3DS they all seem to be back in stock on Amazon.jp at normal prices, including the Monster Hunter 4G bundle :eyepop:

You'll need a Japanese address to ship to like a Tenso address though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm holding out hope for a MH4U New 3DS bundle.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just found out you can prestige your characters in Curtain Call and welp there goes any chance of me using anything other than my main 4 for the next few dozen hours.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I just found out you can prestige your characters in Curtain Call and welp there goes any chance of me using anything other than my main 4 for the next few dozen hours.

:aaa: whaaat? Do you get anything for doing it?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Kilometers Davis posted:

:aaa: whaaat? Do you get anything for doing it?

Extra CP so you can equip more good skills. You can do it multiple times but you get less each time.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
It's not necessary though since you can get more CP from a number of cards and doing it past the first time is kind of a waste of time.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah but you get a number next to your character. If you don't get it up to 10 how else will people know how much you love Lightning

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah but you get a number next to your character. If you don't get it up to 10 how else will people know how much you love Lightning

It's good to see someone understands me.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Dehry posted:

I get the feeling a couple weeks after Christmas there will be an announcement for the North American and European markets(January 1st is still 2015, January 29th if you want to make sure the 30 day return period has expired.) It has definitely discouraged me from getting the Persona Q 3DS I would have killed for a couple months ago.

I am in the same boat, would have loved a Persona 3DS, but there is no point with n3DS on the way.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Help Im Alive posted:

This but with vivi

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I used both Yunas and now I'm going to level both Yunas to 99 ten times.

Yuna is great.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well they put out some actual information about Legend of Legacy and we officially have ourselves a SaGa game in everything but name. The game's only going to tell you one big over-arching goal you're supposed to have and everything else is free roaming and trying to figure out what to do. They specifically said there's not going to be any quests, so I guess they're banking on people getting caught up in exploring the unknown world of the game. I'm sure it will be very interesting for the very first people to buy the game, but as soon as there's a guide up I doubt anyone else will try figuring it out on their own after wasting 2-3 hours bumbling around from place to place wondering where the hell all the content in the game is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

While it's nice that the SaGa folks finally got together to make a not-SaGa game again, because apparently Square-Enix's Saga 25th anniversary celebration (that will span 2 years somehow?) doesn't actually involve making a game and just involves pushing out remaster soundtracks and decorative plates, I know that it's a FuRyu game which means it has a 1% chance of coming overseas. That and it looks like Bravely Default, which is kind of a shameful waste of SaGa's art direction but I guess that's the price you pay when you literally hire a Pixiv artist to draw your characters.

• Locked thread