Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Heres some coppers getting burned to cheer you all up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Orange order marches are the best thing.

"My identity as a loyal British man is most clearly expressed by carrying out marches designed to incite violence between British citizens as part of an order set up to commemorate the victory of a Dutch dictator, who was parachuted into power by an oligarchy that deposed the rightful British king of England and Scotland, in a battle where he lead a mixed force of Dutch and Irish troops against the deposed King leading a mixed force of Scots, Irish and French troops. This battle occurred over 300 years ago and my order is named after the Dutch usurper's Dutch noble title. No act could possibly more clearly display my loyalty to Britain better than this."

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

General China posted:

Burning people is a very cruel elitist way of causing pain and death. Please do not burn people. Thank you.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
Speak for yourself, but as a member of the working class its nice to see a copper injured

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

What the gently caress do the Royal Shakespeare Company know about toasties?

Oh I've outed myself in this thread again, haven't I :ohdear:

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

"My identity as a loyal British man is most clearly expressed by carrying out marches designed to incite violence between British citizens as part of an order set up to commemorate the victory of a Dutch dictator, who was parachuted into power by an oligarchy that deposed the rightful British king of England and Scotland, in a battle where he lead a mixed force of Dutch and Irish troops against the deposed King leading a mixed force of Scots, Irish and French troops. This battle occurred over 300 years ago and my order is named after the Dutch usurper's Dutch noble title. No act could possibly more clearly display my loyalty to Britain better than this."

I know you're not entirely serious but don't forget it's of course about religion as well. I lived in the Netherlands for a while and fwiw they are flat out horrified by what the OO do with their royal house's name (the Dutch monarchs are still Oranje). This in a country desperately defending their right to blackface.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

You're missing that the Dutchman (who was James II's nephew as well as his son-in-law, fwiw; he was third in line to the throne) was a Protestant, and the king was a Catholic. You can't separate religion from it (hell, those giant drums the Orangemen bang are called "Kick-the-Pope" drums), and the fact that William wasn't Catholic trumps everything for them.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

glitchkrieg posted:

You're not posh until you get Old Boy discounts to RSC plays in Stratford-upon-Avon :shepface:

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

glitchkrieg posted:

I feel like I should be offended by this (and the comments)?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

General China posted:

Hmmmmm....

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Roark posted:

You're missing that the Dutchman (who was James II's nephew as well as his son-in-law, fwiw; he was third in line to the throne) was a Protestant, and the king was a Catholic. You can't separate religion from it (hell, those giant drums the Orangemen bang are called "Kick-the-Pope" drums), and the fact that William wasn't Catholic trumps everything for them.

Wasn't William of Orange supported by the Pope though against the Catholic James, who was supported by the French?

Do the Orangemen conveniently forget that bit?

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
I went to watch that Pride film last night which is about the Lesbians and Gay Men Support the Miners movement in the 80s. An interesting analysis in grassroots intersectionality, amazing cast, great performances (excluding Andrew Scott's Welsh accent!!), some great period music and brilliant start to finish.

I think I was crying for the better part of 40% of the film, with joy and sadness. Go see it, it deserves your support.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

JFairfax posted:

Hmmmmm....

What the gently caress does that even mean? Banksy, you card!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Bozza posted:

I went to watch that Pride film last night which is about the Lesbians and Gay Men Support the Miners movement in the 80s. An interesting analysis in grassroots intersectionality, amazing cast, great performances (excluding Andrew Scott's Welsh accent!!), some great period music and brilliant start to finish.

I think I was crying for the better part of 40% of the film, with joy and sadness. Go see it, it deserves your support.

Yeah, saw this last Wednesday and it's loving brilliant.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think one of the marketers at buzzfeed has been reading the past few pages of quizchat/poshchat/breadchat.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahjewell/frightfully-difficult-would-you-rather-questions-for-brits

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Bozza posted:

Saw this the other Friday in Dalston and absolutely loved it. There was a massive cheer after the "I help you, you help me" handshake speech.

Could have done without Billy loving Bragg ruining the ending though.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I think one of the marketers at buzzfeed has been reading the past few pages of quizchat/poshchat/breadchat.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahjewell/frightfully-difficult-would-you-rather-questions-for-brits

Please nobody post their results for this quiz

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

glitchkrieg posted:

Saw this the other Friday in Dalston and absolutely loved it. There was a massive cheer after the "I help you, you help me" handshake speech.

Could have done without Billy loving Bragg ruining the ending though.

Didn't bother our screening too much, it still got roundly applauded at the end :3:

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

ReV VAdAUL posted:

It's actually a French title, kinda.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

General China posted:

Speak for yourself, but as a member of the working class its nice to see a copper injured

You know it's very easy to dislike the police without wanted to inflict unnecessary suffering on another human being. I don't think I'd ever feel safe turning my back on someone like you.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Mega Comrade posted:

You know it's very easy to dislike the police without wanted to inflict unnecessary suffering on another human being. I don't think I'd ever feel safe turning my back on someone like you.
Turning your back? Turn...turncoat. Traitor!

YOU loving SCAB

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

gorki posted:

I cut my refrigerated slices of 50p loaf bread into triangles because I am a hardworking striver :smug:
Refrigerated bread is seriously haram

it goes all dry and tasteless

edit: open tabs :argh:

Zephro fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 24, 2014

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Guavanaut posted:

Correct!
Don’t have sex with Boris Johnson. Just don’t. Don’t. Don’t do it. Don’t have sex with Boris Johnson. Do not have sex with him.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

General China posted:

Aren't most coppers Working Class?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Fans posted:

Don't be stupid, they're bourgeois robots with copies of 1984 instead of brains.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013
Please don't set people on fire, even if their dad is called Henry.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Jeza posted:

Don't be stupid, they're bourgeois robots with copies of 1984 instead of brains.

Well that explains why my Dad had such difficulty with Math.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Fans posted:

Well that explains why my Dad had such difficulty with Math.

Remember, ignorance is strength, son.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fans posted:

All blacklegs and scabs are working class too, by definition. It is possible to be a member of the working class and be part of a system that is antagonistic to working class interests.

It's not always intentional either, it's possible to join that system for the best of intentions and yet still end up furthering injustice.
OTOH:

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

HortonNash posted:

Wasn't William of Orange supported by the Pope though against the Catholic James, who was supported by the French?

Do the Orangemen conveniently forget that bit?

Not overtly, but Innocent XI and the papal nuncio to the court repeatedly warned James II that he was moving too quickly in using his dispensing powers to suspend the Test Act/other anti-Catholic laws. The king's Jesuit confessor and advisor, Edward Petre, gets a lot of criticism from Catholic sources for pushing the king to move faster than the Church recommended and exacerbating the backlash.

It's worth remembering, too, that the whole narrative of William and Mary saving Protestantism, liberty and parliamentary rule from cruel continental Catholic despotism was he dominant narrative taught in British (and American) schools up through the 60s. Like, Macauly, Treveylan, Elton etc. all wrote in that tradition. The Orangemen continue to push it, loudly. Very, very loudly.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

Zephro posted:

Refrigerated bread is seriously haram

it goes all dry and tasteless

edit: open tabs :argh:

Dry and tasteless is edible. Mouldy is inedible. I am sorry but my poverty survival skills are very finely honed and I need no lessons from you spendthrift Hooray Henries with your room temperature bread :mad:

So there's lots of talk about how old Ed Millibands apparently forgot to show proper deference and offer sacrifices to the sacred current account in his fancy no notes speech yesterday. Regardless of why he omitted those bits, when the media started obsessing over it why did he not just say that he felt it was so obvious that it went without saying?

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

gorki posted:

Regardless of why he omitted those bits, when the media started obsessing over it why did he not just say that he felt it was so obvious that it went without saying?

Because he left his notes face down on a glass table and they were photographed.

Not that the press needed much of an excuse to continue savaging Miliband, but he just coated himself in BBQ sauce and jumped into shark infested waters.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Coppers aren't working class because they're essentially managers and supervisors for society. Low level management at the lowest ranks but still management rather than labourers.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Isn't the standard definition of working class "relies on wages / a salary to live?"

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Zephro posted:

Isn't the standard definition of working class "relies on wages / a salary to live?"

In that definition what do the middle class do?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

There's no such thing as the middle class it is an invention to split the working class to protect the position of the capitalist class

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Phoon posted:

There's no such thing as the middle class it is an invention to split the working class to protect the position of the capitalist class

Even the Telegraph admits the middle classes are under the same pressures under capitalism as the other workers now.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

namesake posted:

Even the Telegraph admits the middle classes are under the same pressures under capitalism as the other workers now.

That's because they're the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Praseodymi posted:

That's because they're the same thing.

Yeah but the number of people who acknowledge that is probably about the same as those who identify as working class.

• Locked thread