Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

True, the C4 has gotten to almost hilarious levels of cheap, but the C5 has a lot more to offer I think. If the C5 does ever go to C4 pricing then :ohdear: I will have to own one

EDIT: I pass an Allante that is for sale on my way home and think about the one you posted about. Maybe I will need to see how messed up and terrible it is. $1000 for tail lights is crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Work zone or were you loving flying in Virginia?

I passed a cop on the right doing 78 in a 60 and got $263

e: I would say e24s are at the bottom of their price curves at least in respect to other BMWs of similar vintages

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

54 in a 30. One street over from my parents' house. I just wanted to get some sick-day junk food.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The car I can't believe how cheap (relatively) you can still buy them for is the E28 M5. They made under 2000 of them and the engine is amazing. Sure it doesn't have the same race history and stuff as the E30 M3 but it's still one hell of a car. My Dad and I are both thinking about picking up a copy if we can find clean examples.

E36 M3 prices are climbing already. Trying to find one with <150k that hasn't been beat to poo poo or modified horribly is getting really hard.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't think they'll ever get as cheap as malaise-era C3s though.

the C3 is the perfect candidate for a 6.2/6.5 high mpg beater though!

E: http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/4655602801.html

Perfect candidate.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 24, 2014

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Mother loving $245 speeding ticket.

Talk to me when you hit $800.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Super Aggro Crag posted:

54 in a 30. One street over from my parents' house. I just wanted to get some sick-day junk food.

I've got to go contest a 52 in a 35 that I got a coupe weeks ago. Luckily VDOT was lazy and so I got several pictures of the completely obscured speed limit sign to bring to court, I'm hoping that will help me out.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So I have been thinking about how weird it is to see some cars start to appreciate in value (See: E30) recently and thought an interesting topic would be what cars you think are at the bottom of their price range. I don't think it merits it's own thread or anything but a lot of cars I have always thought were cool are getting so cheap that it seems unlikely they could dip much further. Some of what I am thinking:
  • E36 M3
  • AP1 Honda S2000
  • Nissan 350Z (I will likely catch flack for this, but I have always liked these)
  • C5 Corvettes (I would almost say these are probably on the upswing from what I have seen prices at in the past)

What others can you guys think of?

1st-gen Dodge Vipers can be had for ~$25k. I wouldn't imagine they'll sink much lower than $20k before appreciating.

Late-model Lincoln Town Cars are ridiculous for $7-8 with less than 50kmi. Some of the quietest, safest, and most comfortable cars available even though they're hilariously antiquated.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Sorry to jump in here all :smug: but I lucked the hell out a few months ago. Got a ticket for 74 in a 55, and "failure to signal" on the highway. Both tickets cost about $500 I think, and 6 points off my license. 6 points off meant I had to pay a mandatory $300 surcharge to the dmv. So I was looking at 700-900 in fines.

Signed up for the last court date I could, and the trooper didn't show up. Got off scoff free and didn't learn my lesson.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Super Aggro Crag posted:

my 5 over speeding ticket was nearly 200 dollars. quit yer bitchen.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I've never had a speeding ticket because if I sped the tracker in the car would tell the insurance company on me.

I imagine that in the future they will be integrated into electric cars which will automatically limit the speed of the car to whatever the local speed limit is.

Sorry for helping ruin the future guys

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
Rear main seal is leaking. :(

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Somewhat Heroic posted:

EDIT: I pass an Allante that is for sale on my way home and think about the one you posted about. Maybe I will need to see how messed up and terrible it is. $1000 for tail lights is crazy

Yeah, folks don't realize that the mechanicals, suspension, and floor pan were the only GM parts. The interior and bodywork were all limited run Italian (except the $1500 Recaro seats, the BMW door key, and the MB sourced conical door latches).

The only assembly done at Hamtramck up until the '93 model was loading the finished body and interior onto the engine cradle and suspension. And installing the seats.

As much as I enjoyed the car, it represents everything that was wrong with GM in the 80s. They literally found the most expensive, least efficient way to build a car.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

gently caress Mack, their special snowflake transmissions and whoever designed them. In the rear end with a rake. After 6 hours I've finally got the tranny on the ground, and now I'm unable to lift the truck high enough to get the oval office out from under it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

freelop posted:

I've never had a speeding ticket because if I sped the tracker in the car would tell the insurance company on me.

I imagine that in the future they will be integrated into electric cars which will automatically limit the speed of the car to whatever the local speed limit is.

Sorry for helping ruin the future guys

Why in the hell did you get insurance with a stupid dongle in your car? Cancel that poo poo and get insurance from another company.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

HotCanadianChick posted:

Why in the hell did you get insurance with a stupid dongle in your car? Cancel that poo poo and get insurance from another company.

Because it was £400 cheaper and continues to be cheaper

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

freelop posted:

Because it was £400 cheaper and continues to be cheaper

That is literally the worst use of 400 quid I could possibly think of.

e: go donate plasma a couple times a year to earn back the 400 pounds you'd get from not having that awful thing stuck in there.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So I have been thinking about how weird it is to see some cars start to appreciate in value (See: E30) recently and thought an interesting topic would be what cars you think are at the bottom of their price range. I don't think it merits it's own thread or anything but a lot of cars I have always thought were cool are getting so cheap that it seems unlikely they could dip much further. Some of what I am thinking:
  • E36 M3
  • AP1 Honda S2000
  • Nissan 350Z (I will likely catch flack for this, but I have always liked these)
  • C5 Corvettes (I would almost say these are probably on the upswing from what I have seen prices at in the past)

What others can you guys think of?

I'm about to sell my house (that I'm not living in right now, I'm renting in a city 50 miles away) and I'm unlikely to be buying another house for at least 6 months. The other day it occurred to me I could buy an e36 m3 (pretty much my only realistic dream car) and run it for a little while, and I'd probably be able to sell it on for what I paid easily when I need my deposit money back.

I'm currently mulling over if this is either utter idiocy or absolute genius. But worried I would a) gently caress it up and loose money b) get hit with horrible maintainable costs c) fall in love and not want to sell it. Likely all of the above.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

HotCanadianChick posted:

That is literally the worst use of 400 quid I could possibly think of.

e: go donate plasma a couple times a year to earn back the 400 pounds you'd get from not having that awful thing stuck in there.

You don't get paid for that poo poo in the UK, or I'd weigh about 75lbs less and be coated in needle marks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cursedshitbox posted:

my 5 over speeding ticket was nearly 200 dollars. quit yer bitchen.

$209 for 68 in a 50. The city of Keene, TX had an officer conveniently located in the one spot in state highway 67 that slowed down to 50 (from 65 or 70), and I missed the speed limit sign apparently. 600 miles I drove that weekend, and get a ticket 50 miles from home... It's hard to drive that slow when you've been driving 80+ for the last 200 miles (US 281 is mostly 75 MPH speed limit.)
Fortunately no points in TX, and I can take Def Driving and pay $100 to dismiss the ticket.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
It was knocked down to a parking ticket...which is still nearly 200 bucks.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Darchangel posted:

$209 for 68 in a 50. The city of Keene, TX had an officer conveniently located in the one spot in state highway 67 that slowed down to 50 (from 65 or 70), and I missed the speed limit sign apparently. 600 miles I drove that weekend, and get a ticket 50 miles from home... It's hard to drive that slow when you've been driving 80+ for the last 200 miles (US 281 is mostly 75 MPH speed limit.)
Fortunately no points in TX, and I can take Def Driving and pay $100 to dismiss the ticket.

There is another place like this I got caught in driving from Dallas to Colorado Springs. Forget what the city name was, but it was in Texas and was on a stretch that went from 70 down to 45 in about half a mile. I was passing a Semi by going 75 and did not see the signs until the lights were on behind me. Drove through that town 4 years later and someone had paid for a billboard to be placed right in the middle of town calling the sheriff all sorts of names and saying the town is just a speed trap.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I got a $35 ticket for going 79 in a 70 because the cop knocked it down to 76 in a 70.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I drive slow cars so I never have to worry about speeding tickets. :smug:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Air-cooled 911s of any vintage and trim have been appreciating at an insane rate for a while. I really, really hope it's a bubble :ohdear:

The worst part about that is it's pushed the 356es into insane territory as well. Of course, this has been going on for a while.

The 944s are probably as bottomed out as they will get for now (the aging Boxsters have driven this). Whether they'll ever rebound is a different story. It's possible, but I doubt by much.

I'm pretty sure everyone still hates 996es too. They have to be close to bottoming out by now. Throw in an LSD and they're fairly cheap fun, even though every other 911 driver will look down their nose at you (this happens anyway, so who cares).

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I drive slow cars so I never have to worry about speeding tickets. :smug:

anything is fast if you hold the throttle to the floor long enough.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Motronic posted:

The 944s are probably as bottomed out as they will get for now (the aging Boxsters have driven this).

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards some kind of engine-swapped 944 as my eventual project car; there's a lot of good bargains on them now and I doubt they'll ever be really collectible as Porsche snobs have looked down at them since the day the first ones rolled off the line.

cursedshitbox posted:

Someone's never driven an Iron Duke powered car.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Or an ACVW

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Motronic posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone still hates 996es too. They have to be close to bottoming out by now.

Yeah, forgot about that one. I looked up local 996's and they were about beige tan Camry prices and looked to be in really great (visual) condition. I wonder how depressing it would be to drive a car that is one funny sound away from a $12000 engine swap.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Yeah, forgot about that one. I looked up local 996's and they were about beige tan Camry prices and looked to be in really great (visual) condition. I wonder how depressing it would be to drive a car that is one funny sound away from a $12000 engine swap.

They've got V8 swap kits, make it happen.

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/996/LS-1.html

Waaaaaay less than $12k.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Fart Pipe posted:

Or an ACVW

A few years ago, I was on a drive with the local VW club. It was a bunch of bros in tarted-up MK3s and MK4s, and one dude in a Squareback. We got onto the freeway and the poor dude in the Squareback got lost because he just couldn't keep up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

^^^^

That's totally the way to go, and you know you can find a 996 with a $12k repair estimate in the hands of some crying dude and tow the thing out of his driveway for like $4k.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
$6625 for the kit and no mention of the engine. What's an LS3 cost?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

The 944s are probably as bottomed out as they will get for now (the aging Boxsters have driven this). Whether they'll ever rebound is a different story. It's possible, but I doubt by much.

God I hope so. Its on my short list of "cars to own" once both my British piles catch fire.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

the C3 is the perfect candidate for a 6.2/6.5 high mpg beater though!

E: http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/4655602801.html

Perfect candidate.

That's exactly my point. C4s have bottomed out and for the most part any decent C4 should be more money than a '74+ C3. A C5 might eventually get down to C4 money, but it'd have to be horribly broken to get as cheap as that C3 since it's like it already had the LS1 swap done! :haw:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

thebigcow posted:

$6625 for the kit and no mention of the engine. What's an LS3 cost?

Yeah......that's how kits like that work. You supply your own motor.

And "What's an LS3 cost?" is a pretty open question. You can get nice rebuilds around $7k, pay $10k for something already built up, and well under $2k for something out of the right salvage yard.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cursedshitbox posted:

Kickdown cable on my Volvo keeps overdrive from engaging. :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

So the iphone I bought off of ebay showed up, much more cosmetic damage than described (no big surprise), but the home button rotates... is this something to make an issue of? Looks like it can be replaced, but it has to be disassembled to do it... I don't really like Apple, so I've never paid any attention to their stuff, so I don't know if I should push the seller to pay for the cost of the repair.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

^^^^

That's totally the way to go, and you know you can find a 996 with a $12k repair estimate in the hands of some crying dude and tow the thing out of his driveway for like $4k.

I so want to do this in the worst way, I wonder how many people scrap them for nothing, I'll take one for scrap value :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

Someone's never driven an Iron Duke powered car.

we had one with a burned valve. 3 cylinder Iron duke.

Meatpimp: crack it open and re-glue the rubber piece around the home button. Mine does that poo poo too and I'll fix the fucker before I sell it off.

• Locked thread