Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012

Ettin posted:

(Fun drinking game: Every time I gently caress up that dude's name, take a shot.)

I would not advise playing this drinking game because you didn't noticed you that you hosed up his name until towards the end. You were calling him wrong for most of the session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant
What's in a name?! A dude wearing jorts by any other name is still obsessed with bitcoins.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

Wow, tough crowd, huh? Jackals

:siren:Session 51 part 1: Meander to Moteja:siren:
Podcast

The Elements make their way to Moteja, the pilgrim's town that lies beneath the Northern Colossus which should, with luck, hold the secret of the Seat of the Colossus. The voyage is, as usual, populated with strange people and marvelous sights.

Note: Episode 51 will be released in 3 parts, one today, one Saturday, and the finale along with bonus tabletalk a week from today. This is mostly because I, Ikks, was so late! So, so late. The following Saturday will be a double-bonus-special-day.

P.S. I drew Dorfl the cameo buddy as a Patreon prize right here.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I finally got the group I play with to try 13th Age, since the current campaign is coming to a close.
We're making characters and the GM loves the escalation die and how the rules are all about not getting bogged down. People are actually getting excited about it. I'm sure this is gonna be awesome. :D

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Moteja is an anagram for Toe Jam.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ikks posted:

What's in a name?! A dude wearing jorts by any other name is still obsessed with bitcoins.

Honestly the whole "Jorts" character left a bad taste in my mouth. I understand that the villain must be fought, but it felt like he was just a butt of a joke. Every other character felt like they were sympathetic, hell, Mordecai was reasonable to the point of being unrealistic. But the "nerd" character? Nope, just a pathetic person who wears stupid clothing and likes stupid things like bit coins. The fact that he was the villain felt added to only point increase how pathetic he was, and I didn't like it. Every time the character was discussed the tone was filled with mocking and scorn, especially from Ambisagrus.

As a person who has been treated very similarly, it made the podcast very uncomfortable for me to listen to.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Jorts wasn't the nerd character he was the disgusting insufferable nerd we all hate but know deep down we actually are.

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

ikks posted:

:siren:Session 51 part 1: Meander to Moteja:siren:
Podcast

Calling it now, the seat of the colossus ends up being another identical chair to add to Mint's collection. I don't care if it doesn't make any sense, the chair saga needs to be resolved!

Also:

D_W posted:

Moteja is an anagram for Toe Jam.

General Ironicus is truly history's greatest monster.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

thetoughestbean posted:

Honestly the whole "Jorts" character left a bad taste in my mouth. I understand that the villain must be fought, but it felt like he was just a butt of a joke. Every other character felt like they were sympathetic, hell, Mordecai was reasonable to the point of being unrealistic. But the "nerd" character? Nope, just a pathetic person who wears stupid clothing and likes stupid things like bit coins. The fact that he was the villain felt added to only point increase how pathetic he was, and I didn't like it. Every time the character was discussed the tone was filled with mocking and scorn, especially from Ambisagrus.

As a person who has been treated very similarly, it made the podcast very uncomfortable for me to listen to.

If you've been treated similarly because you're a neckbearded misogynist libertarian with no sense of personal hygiene or of respect for a fellow human being, you probably deserved it.

If you don't qualify, then this wasn't about you and you're projecting.

Jorts isn't the nerd character, he's an insufferable human being who is also a nerd.

Edit: Seriously they were playing an anime mystery horror high school tabletop game. If you think that the was a bunch of jocks making fun of nerds, well, I don't know what to tell you.

mdct fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 24, 2014

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I imagine the letters from Margo's Margaret's family to be amazingly businesslike status reports, like what a commander would recieve from a distant outpost.

code:
Day 912

Requisitioned additional food stores for winter. 

Jone's encroaching on territory, see attached plan for proposed probing attack to determine true strength. 

All is well. 

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mighty Dicktron posted:

If you've been treated similarly because you're a neckbearded misogynist libertarian with no sense of personal hygiene or of respect for a fellow human being, you probably deserved it.

If you don't qualify, then this wasn't about you and you're projecting.

Jorts isn't the nerd character, he's an insufferable human being who is also a nerd.

I'm a feminist who shaves and showers regularly. And, yes, maybe I am projecting because I have been a victim of bullying and still bear its scars. This doesn't invalidate my feelings.

I'm well aware of how "insufferable" certain nerds can be. What I'm not aware of is how that makes them undeserving of basic human respect!

Honestly, I get that some people's actions are toxic and unacceptable (which different political ideals, the inability to grow hair on your cheeks, and poor fashion sense definitely aren't), but to just relegate these people as jokes without even trying to understand them or the reasons behind their actions help to serve no purpose but to worsen the problem by becoming a bully yourself.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Misogynists are never deserving of human respect just like racists and homophobes.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Rumda posted:

Misogynists are never deserving of human respect just like racists and homophobes.

No, everybody deserves human respect, even if we find their views unacceptable.

'Cause their still human y'see.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Actually, destroy all men.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Chet finished the day still never having seen a nerd, but he did see a guy trying to feed all his other friends to a plant to further his really not cool views on the great big homecoming game we call life. He doesn't need an official to call foul on that one.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I didn't really get the impression that Jorts was supposed to be a nerd, that seemed to fit Edgar more. Jorts was more stereotypical MRA, y'know with his talk of the matriarchy keeping him down and all. The only nerdish thing I remember about him was his skill with computers but I took that to represent how he was always online complaining about how feminism was obsolete in today's society on various Internet forums.

And yeah, he wasn't meant to be sympathetic at all and he was a hyper-exaggerated stereotype but it was an anime high-school murder mystery. Exaggeration and stereotypes was kind of the name of the game. Tavleen was a high-school news reporter obsessed with getting those "Hot Scoops" and speaks in an annoying boston accent, and the student council president guy having a surprising amount of power and access to an inter-dimensional plant-beast (may be more of an anime thing, rather than school stereotype). Jorts just happened to be the stereotype of a very unpleasant type of person, who's failings are fun to mock and ridicule. His failing's not being his skill with a computer but rather his belief that the matriarchy is oppressing him due to his horrid personality keeping him from getting a girlfriend, or any friends for that matter.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

General Ironicus posted:

Chet finished the day still never having seen a nerd, but he did see a guy trying to feed all his other friends to a plant to further his really not cool views on the great big homecoming game we call life. He doesn't need an official to call foul on that one.

It wasn't the characters that made me feel uncomfortable. It was the players.

The whole thing just felt uncomfortable to me, that's all. I felt that every other character was portrayed somewhat three-dimensionally, which I really liked, like the fact that the Student Council member was kind of an rear end in a top hat but who still tried to be somewhat proactive and useful and the School Guardian who was a rebellious teen who still really liked the school. The characters felt at least partially sympathetic, only for everyone to suddenly agree that a pathetic, friendless MRA straw man was okay to completely vilify without any semblance of an attempt to al least try to understand why he felt the need to do what he did. It was really jarring when everyone was portrayed as human and then suddenly one guy wasn't.

I know that the culture around nerd-dom is really toxic right now because of MRA-types doing really lovely things. I understand the desire to vilify them and to fight against everything they stand for. I know the amount of harm they can do and have done, as well as the catharsis that comes from fighting Jorts-like characters. However, I don't think that just stereotyping people with those views as completely villainous and pathetic, rather than trying to understand why they have those views, will do any good for anyone.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

We had a bit of a brainstorming session about the next session to be recorded, and were excited enough by our initial thoughts to want to share them with you: http://13questions.tumblr.com/post/98350130148/wordbuilding-in-progress-eridu

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Jorts isn't supposed to be "the nerd character". There are plenty of other nerds who are pretty cool! His deal is that I needed some of the characters to be assholes/unsympathetic so I wrote one of them to be a fedora elemental. Fong is there for the same reason, only he's a huge goofy Death Note knockoff who is obsessed with getting power with ridiculously convoluted schemes. I could have explored Jorts more though, he sort of dropped off the radar for most of the session after the others ditched him. It made for an interesting reveal but kind of 86ed his chances of having his character explored before he turned out to be the bad guy. :shobon:

(#notallnerds)

ikks posted:

Story: the reason I kept loving up his name was because his name was Fred in every draft and playtest I've done since I made the game. It was just a filler name though and I actually know some Freds, so I decided to replace it for the published version. Apparently I've been calling him Fred for too long and got used to it. :negative:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ettin posted:

Jorts isn't supposed to be "the nerd character". There are plenty of other nerds who are pretty cool! His deal is that I needed some of the characters to be assholes/unsympathetic so I wrote one of them to be a fedora elemental. Fong is there for the same reason, only he's a huge goofy Death Note knockoff who is obsessed with getting power with ridiculously convoluted schemes. I could have explored Jorts more though, he sort of dropped off the radar for most of the session after the others ditched him. It made for an interesting reveal but kind of 86ed his chances of having his character explored before he turned out to be the bad guy. :shobon:

I really did like the characters! I do wish I could have seen his character be a bit more explored more is all, I suppose.

Also, the fact that every player felt that it was okay to start insulting him and making fun of him for having different opinions (even if said opinions involved Invasion of the Body Snatchers with Fedoras instead of Communists) triggered really bad memories where I was bullied for having very liberal views in a Catholic middle school. So even if my ideals are on the opposite side of the spectrum, I ended up empathizing with Jorts.

So, I suppose my reaction was 50% projection and 50% wishing that Jorts was less of a straw man. Just food for thought.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

General Ironicus posted:

We had a bit of a brainstorming session about the next session to be recorded, and were excited enough by our initial thoughts to want to share them with you: http://13questions.tumblr.com/post/98350130148/wordbuilding-in-progress-eridu

I probably spend more time just talking about world building stuff in our chat than I do actually planning what to do in the game, looking forward to see how this all comes together!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

However, dorfl the golem, Ironicus! I guess it's made up by the inclusion of the river devil. Looking forward to the 100th episode because poo poo will be possibly too nasty...

Edit: no running my mouth off here no sir

lenoon fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 25, 2014

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

thetoughestbean posted:

I really did like the characters! I do wish I could have seen his character be a bit more explored more is all, I suppose.

Also, the fact that every player felt that it was okay to start insulting him and making fun of him for having different opinions (even if said opinions involved Invasion of the Body Snatchers with Fedoras instead of Communists) triggered really bad memories where I was bullied for having very liberal views in a Catholic middle school. So even if my ideals are on the opposite side of the spectrum, I ended up empathizing with Jorts.

So, I suppose my reaction was 50% projection and 50% wishing that Jorts was less of a straw man. Just food for thought.

Just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one. While I haven't yet had the chance to listen to the second and third parts, I agree with what you're saying. In school I was always the tallest in class. Those years when the girls are normally taller than the boys? I was a good half-head taller than they were, I was really hosed me up as far as coordination went so I was picked on for being clumsy as hell . It wasn't too bad until 6th grade though, where I went from 5'8" at the beginning of the year to 6'2" at the end. I had problems just walking without tripping over myself daily, let alone anything more than that. I was 6'8" at the end of 6th grade, gotten in so many fights I was only a few suspensions away from being expelled, and still the teachers would only interfere when things started getting physical. Thankfully when High School rolled around things had been settled (it took a 5v1 fight and a very loud principal's office the next day, plus nobody really wants to gently caress with the kid that's bigger than the teachers are) so I managed to miss the worst it could get.

That aside, just because someone's wrong doesn't mean it's okay to dehumanize them. Sure, you can wave it away by pointing and laughing at a strung up caricature, but that doesn't invalidate the issue when someone has a problem with it. I mean really,

Rumda posted:

you're saying the exact same thing as they are. Just because you're directing at someone who's wrong doesn't make you any more right than they are.

Sorry to add to a rant in a thread where it really doesn't belong. :( I still love the stuff you guys are doing, and I still plan on watching the other two parts of Breakfast Cult.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

lenoon posted:

I have to say I thought jorts was a well chosen butt of all jokes, especially seeing as the the six feats under crew have been the target of a jorts like character with the d and d next debacle.

However, dorfl the golem, Ironicus! I guess it's made up by the inclusion of the river devil. Looking forward to the 100th episode because poo poo will be possibly too nasty...

DnD next debacle? What happened?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ah I shouldn't have brought it up, sorry.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

lenoon posted:

Ah I shouldn't have brought it up, sorry.

oh ok then, I will not pry. Thought maybe I had just missed something in the thread.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There's a few posts immediately after one of the updates in the DnD thread that address the issue. You can find out everything there.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

y'all need to be reigned back in with some good old-fashioned podcast filth

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

thetoughestbean posted:

Honestly, I get that some people's actions are toxic and unacceptable (which different political ideals... definitely aren't)...

thetoughestbean posted:

No, everybody deserves human respect, even if we find their views unacceptable.

'Cause their still human y'see.

Nah, if your political ideals involve treating some people as inherently inferior because of their race/sex/sexual orientation/etc., you really don't deserve any respect.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

ikks posted:

unsubscribed

McBearson
Apr 29, 2013

ikks posted:

Unsubscribed

... so I could subscribe twice.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012

Mr. Despair posted:

I imagine the letters from Margo's Margaret's family to be amazingly businesslike status reports, like what a commander would recieve from a distant outpost.

code:
Day 912

Requisitioned additional food stores for winter. 

Jone's encroaching on territory, see attached plan for proposed probing attack to determine true strength. 

All is well. 

I was chatting with a friend who's catching up on the podcasts about this earlier! I meant to draw something like this but I lack the talent, so please just imagine that sort of design with this text:

Postcard posted:

(Front)
Greetings from THE BATTLE BARGE!
Wish you were here!

(Back)
History of the Empire postcards unavailable, had to make do.
No longer in Hellhole.
Rained today. Shot a bunch of sahuagin dead, then beef stew for dinner.
Remember to eat your vegetables.
Margaret.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Those of you playing along with the Breakfast Cult Kickstarter after our sessions might have noticed a last-minute stretch goal go up tonight. Nobody thought it would be met but...

That means backers of Breakfast Cult will be getting some annotated readings from Chet "The Toaster" Wilson, once we figure out how that's going to work exactly. We're breaking ground in multimedia experiences.

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!
That's super amazing!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Oooh, the Colossus. Looking forward to seeing the 6FU take on it. In my game it was the High Elves' super-weapon to put down the Koru Behemoths if they started getting off the migration route and the world's oldest High Elf still 'lived' there as a mostly petrified mummy thing.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

PublicOpinion posted:

Oooh, the Colossus. Looking forward to seeing the 6FU take on it. In my game it was the High Elves' super-weapon to put down the Koru Behemoths if they started getting off the migration route and the world's oldest High Elf still 'lived' there as a mostly petrified mummy thing.

That's pretty good! We....didn't do that, in fact what we did was something quite...magical.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I was never really into pre-written settings before running 13th Age but I like that it creates a bit of immediate common ground between campaigns or for people to hook into when making their characters.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
It helps that the setting is so vague that you could easily run the setting a bunch of different ways depending on what kinda campaign you wanna run.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Have to say, the Footballsman was my favorite part of that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NejD
Oct 3, 2013

Rannos22 posted:

It helps that the setting is so vague that you could easily run the setting a bunch of different ways depending on what kinda campaign you wanna run.

Perhaps you could even say 13 true ways

• Locked thread