Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Well, that's the funny thing about the silent majority. It's impossible to tell what their opinion is because they're silent. Are there thousands of cool people playing RPGs and not talking about it online? Maybe. I hope so. I can't tell, because there hasn't been actual research about this released for a decade, but I hope so. That doesn't make the percentage of the conversation controlled by shitheads in the RPG community any smaller though, because they aren't actually talking or making their presence known in any way.

Also, actual people are being actually harassed by actual regressive shitheads in the RPG community. Rulebook Heavily knows several of them. Stop acting like that's a thing that's not happening and isn't really horrible.

You stupid gently caress, #YesAllWomen emerged after people were loving murdered! If you want to make a stand for the position that dying is preferable to harassment, go ahead, but do so with the full knowledge that that's what you're doing.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

How is it a bullshit comparison? The entire point I'm seeing here is that a number of people (some, most, many, lots, whatever fuzzword we want) are not awful and do not listen to awful people, therefore it's unfair to call the hobby/industry of said hobby they enjoy awful just because awful people are given prominence in it.

Let me put it this way; you are saying that a man getting his name (or public internet handle if we want to be pedantic) in the single largest product of the entire hobby by far is "irrelevant" to the hobby. It's not. His voice was loud enough to get his foot in that door, and it's the loud voices that are heard. The current lead designer of D&D was influenced by his blog and gave him room in the book.

At that point, quibbling over exactly how many people read the man's blog is #NotAllX pontificating. He had enough influence in enough right places to get a name into the big granddaddy RPG product, however briefly it may turn out to be. The people who don't listen to him didn't get a say in that. The industry is absolutely teeming with this sort of thing. How is pointing that out more unfair to said communities than not saying anything at all, exactly?

For instance, the post quoted on this blog post (via quote-by-tweet)? It's an RPG industry person writing this sentence without irony:

But somehow, pointing out that this is a thing that happens at the industry level a whole hell of a lot and could be improved is unfair to hypothetical communities and individual gamers somewhere in the world because they're not personally that awful? Really? I'd hope that most non-awful people would look at that and go "whoah, not cool" and not take it so personally. Or look at it and go "I don't want this here, let's not be that."

gently caress off you loving semiliterate. I talk about players, and you come back with developers. Durr, durr, guess this means that readers are all thieves because of vanity publishers!!!

You see, the problem here is that it's not enough for you to point out that it's a disgrace for two of the biggest assholes in the RPG community to be honored by the largest RPG, you need to, for some reason (probably because you're an aristocratic dipshit masquerading as a leftist) define all the hundreds of thousands of people who have no idea who any of the people involved are as motherfuckers of a high order, psychotic racists, misogynists, homophobes and transphobes, generally of the lowest order of humanity. The funny thing is, you don't need any of this poo poo to believe that. You're perfectly free to declare that the greater mass of RPG players deserve only death, except for the Elect of God as manifest in the good, non-Plutonis people of Traditional Games and your personal associates, and to think that, and I'll be damned if I ever say so much as a word otherwise.

Realistically, though, you should be blaming developers from the evidence you are using (which is pretty convincing that RPG developers are riddled with awful, awful people), but yikes! We run into the tiny, tiny problem that the majority of people calling out how awful Mearls's decision was are also RPG developers! Now we're psychologically less able to condemn them all! Much better to blame it on some random kid at a state college who plays her cousin's old 2e stuff with a couple of geeky friends. Easily far more satisfying a target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

gently caress off you loving semiliterate. I talk about players, and you come back with developers. Durr, durr, guess this means that readers are all thieves because of vanity publishers!!!

You see, the problem here is that it's not enough for you to point out that it's a disgrace for two of the biggest assholes in the RPG community to be honored by the largest RPG, you need to, for some reason (probably because you're an aristocratic dipshit masquerading as a leftist) define all the hundreds of thousands of people who have no idea who any of the people involved are as motherfuckers of a high order, psychotic racists, misogynists, homophobes and transphobes, generally of the lowest order of humanity. The funny thing is, you don't need any of this poo poo to believe that. You're perfectly free to declare that the greater mass of RPG players deserve only death, except for the Elect of God as manifest in the good, non-Plutonis people of Traditional Games and your personal associates, and to think that, and I'll be damned if I ever say so much as a word otherwise.

Realistically, though, you should be blaming developers from the evidence you are using (which is pretty convincing that RPG developers are riddled with awful, awful people), but yikes! We run into the tiny, tiny problem that the majority of people calling out how awful Mearls's decision was are also RPG developers! Now we're psychologically less able to condemn them all! Much better to blame it on some random kid at a state college who plays her cousin's old 2e stuff with a couple of geeky friends. Easily far more satisfying a target.

My advice to you is to stop taking a critique of a hobby as a critique of your person. It might lead to fewer hurt tummyfeels about how some mean dude on the internet totally said [thing you enjoy] is [bad] and how that's totally unfair because some Y amount of silent majority people who agree with you are #NotAllX. (Also get better friends.)

Besides, some players really are awful and get posted about. That's what the cat piss thread is for, and that's outlasted Grogs.txt. Or is that thread totally unfair to all the silent, unknown, majority people playing in Brazil and France and Germany and Uruguay and Sweden and Russia etc. too?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Effectronica posted:

You stupid gently caress, #YesAllWomen emerged after people were loving murdered! If you want to make a stand for the position that dying is preferable to harassment, go ahead, but do so with the full knowledge that that's what you're doing.

Right, and harassment, ruining peoples' lives, and pushing people out of social spaces is absolutely okay in context. This is a laughable argument about any intersection of feminism, why is it any different when it's ~tabletop gaming~?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Effectronica posted:

I'm a big dumb idiot baby :downs:

Please shut up and stop throwing insults around because someone doesn't agree with you. Thanks.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Effectronica posted:

lol

quote:

lol

quote:

(probably because you're an aristocratic dipshit masquerading as a leftist)
lol

quote:

You're perfectly free to declare that the greater mass of RPG players deserve only death, except for the Elect of God as manifest in the good, non-Plutonis people of Traditional Games and your personal associates, and to think that, and I'll be damned if I ever say so much as a word otherwise.
lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Effectronica has a tendency to get really mad because people here in Trad Games actually care, instead of just giving lip service to any marginalized people and then going back to screwing naked elf chicks.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh for Christ's sake.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Why does Plutonis have to die?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Rulebook Heavily posted:

My advice to you is to stop taking a critique of a hobby as a critique of your person. It might lead to fewer hurt tummyfeels about how some mean dude on the internet totally said [thing you enjoy] is [bad] and how that's totally unfair because some Y amount of silent majority people who agree with you are #NotAllX.

Besides, some players really are awful and get posted about. That's what the cat piss thread is for, and that's outlasted Grogs.txt. Or is that thread totally unfair to all the silent, unknown, majority people playing in Brazil and France and Germany and Uruguay and Sweden and Russia etc. too?

What the hell is wrong with you? Are you a poorly-programmed robot masquerading as a man? My beef with you has nothing to do with the hobby. You're just responding without thinking, pulling out cliches in a perfect line. The world (or at least the part of it that's me) wonders how a comatose man, completely lacking higher brain functions, can type. Coherency is a lesser miracle besides that.

In any case, let me piss in the wind some more and explain my beef in more exhausting detail. Actually, beefs, because my main one is that you have glutted yourself on reactionary propaganda and go around smarming with the rotten stench of it everpresent. But after all, you do live in one of the great centers of the Washington Consensus, so assigning you responsibility is more than a little unfair. But I am genuinely a horrible human being, so I'll ignore the questionable morality of it and say that you're a damnable fifth-columnist against justice, a partisan for imperialism, a counter-revolutionary extraordinaire. gently caress you. Go jump in a lake.

Leaving that aside, the central problem is that you present a list of reasons why RPG developers are bad people, and then use it as a set of reasons why RPG players are bad people. The confusion of reality necessary to do this suggests that you are basically pretending to have debilitating schizophrenia for your own ends, which is repulsive. Continuing in your wretchedness, you pretend that if someone isn't bad they must necessarily be good, so that we must agree that the majority of RPG players are virulent racists in order to post in Traditional Games without getting harassed and mistreated like good ol' Plutonis. To hell with that. Do your worst, you contemptible waste of flesh. See how powerful your posts really are, against someone who isn't cowed by the weight of insecurities to listen to a delusional gently caress like yourself.

Now we will continue with the inquisitorial game, but you have failed to realize that that game only works if someone is a) either inclined to listen to the interrogators or b) under the direct threat of torture. I would suggest shooting for b), because it is, at this point, infinitely more likely to work.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Really Pants posted:

Why does Plutonis have to die?

He has a finite lifespan. It's the human condition, ya know?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

You should probably go lie down for a bit, maybe take some aspirin...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Erm, I'm ok. No need to get too defensive of me or something, Eff. Seriously.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Now we will continue with the inquisitorial game, but you have failed to realize that that game only works if someone is a) either inclined to listen to the interrogators or b) under the direct threat of torture. I would suggest shooting for b), because it is, at this point, infinitely more likely to work.

I don't get it. Why are you so invested in defending the literal scum of the earth? Sure, a lot of RPG players are shitheads just like developers are. Newsflash: we live in a kyriarchy, a really virulent one that is trying to encourage young impoverished women that they don't need feminism! They have it all okay! And you're co-opting language from that to defend the average white male consumer as a paragon of justice while insulting others for not thinking of oppression well enough. Why?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I have no idea what the gently caress is happening here. :psyduck:

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Just another day in the Something Awful Traditional Games Chat Thread.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

KirbyJ posted:

Just another day in the Something Awful Traditional Games Chat Thread.

_______. ________ never changes.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Can we talk about bishies instead? I hate fratricide :ohdear:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Regarding the South American rpg scene I wanted to post some Brazilian forums I post in and the facebook group of the IRL RPG and boardgaming group that acts on my city but I'm kinda embarrassed now. :shobon:

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Erm, I'm ok. No need to get too defensive of me or something, Eff. Seriously.

This isn't about you, it's about the fact that, for whatever reason, the presence of bad people among developers means that the millions of people who play RPGs without any cognizance of Zak Smith must necessarily be racist, misogynistic, homophobic and transphobic, etc. It's not only woolly thinking, it's built around essentially forgiving the people that are really responsible by making the focus players as opposed to developers.

Arivia posted:

I don't get it. Why are you so invested in defending the literal scum of the earth? Sure, a lot of RPG players are shitheads just like developers are. Newsflash: we live in a kyriarchy, a really virulent one that is trying to encourage young impoverished women that they don't need feminism! They have it all okay! And you're co-opting language from that to defend the average white male consumer as a paragon of justice while insulting others for not thinking of oppression well enough. Why?

I'm not arguing for anything beyond "assuming people are bad because this somewhat-related group of people are bad is wrong". Not to mention that there's really no reason to say "RPG players are bad" if they are no worse than the average population unless you want to make a point. What point you could make with that that's coherent I have no idea.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

dwarf74 posted:

Man who cares.

For real, though, are there any solid statistics about RPG players anywhere? I kind of suspect that the Internet-dwelling segment of the hobby is not really representative or inclusive of the portion that don't argue about elfgames online, but I have nothing to back that up.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Regarding the South American rpg scene I wanted to post some Brazilian forums I post in and the facebook group of the IRL RPG and boardgaming group that acts on my city but I'm kinda embarrassed now. :shobon:

Don't be embarrassed because I'm pissed off at people right now.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
No, my friends, that will never be the verdict of our people. If they dare to come out in the open field and defend the grognard standard as a good thing, we will fight them to the uttermost. Having behind us the producing masses of this nation and the world, supported by the commercial interests, the laboring interests and the toilers everywhere, we will answer their demand for a grog standard by saying to them: You shall not press down upon the brow of trad games this crown of thorns, you shall not crucify trad games upon a cross of grognardism.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

RPZip posted:

No, my friends, that will never be the verdict of our people. If they dare to come out in the open field and defend the grognard standard as a good thing, we will fight them to the uttermost. Having behind us the producing masses of this nation and the world, supported by the commercial interests, the laboring interests and the toilers everywhere, we will answer their demand for a grog standard by saying to them: You shall not press down upon the brow of trad games this crown of thorns, you shall not crucify mankind upon a cross of grognardism.

Hey, William Jennings Bryan, good news, we're off the gold standard now. Bad news, evolution is the public education standard. Worse news, shouldn't you be dead?

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Davin Valkri posted:

Can we talk about bishies instead? I hate fratricide :ohdear:

Are bears on the table too? But re:bishies, that Free! show is pretty great.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I wonder if I could carry enough copies of the D&D 5e PHB to do an effective goblet squat or if it'd be too bulky

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Effectronica posted:

Don't be embarrassed because I'm pissed off at people right now.

Well, someone has to be, for some reason you aren't embarrassed by the absolute poo poo you've been posting.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tulul posted:

Man who cares.

For real, though, are there any solid statistics about RPG players anywhere? I kind of suspect that the Internet-dwelling segment of the hobby is not really representative or inclusive of the portion that don't argue about elfgames online, but I have nothing to back that up.

WOTC did a survey back in 1999 that I alluded to, but I have no idea what their methodology was or what else they tracked, or how accurate it was. I suspect that no one can really tell unless one of the big survey groups asks questions about it because of all the copies of old games still in circulation and the multiplier effect of RPG books for gameplay.

I'm pretty sure that if we count freeform online roleplaying that it would be big enough to shift demographics, and it's in any case much less male-dominated than the standard picture of roleplaying.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Effectronica posted:

I'm not arguing for anything beyond "assuming people are bad because this somewhat-related group of people are bad is wrong". Not to mention that there's really no reason to say "RPG players are bad" if they are no worse than the average population unless you want to make a point. What point you could make with that that's coherent I have no idea.

It's like you ate a textbook on feminist media criticism and assumed that counted as learning something. Sorry, a stomachache in your tummyfeels does not make for knowledge.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

:justpost:. Anything's better than Effectronica being mad at people for being mad at things and thus being slightly too broad in their insults.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012

Lurks With Wolves posted:

:justpost:. Anything's better than Effectronica being mad at people for being mad at things and thus being slightly too broad in their insults.

I'm sure we can find plenty of worse things than that.

In fact, let's make that today's project!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

It's like you ate a textbook on feminist media criticism and assumed that counted as learning something. Sorry, a stomachache in your tummyfeels does not make for knowledge.

And yet monseigneur "Don't post insults" will, of course, remain silent here. But hey, no need for any kind of concrete response, just condescension. Does your mother know you're talking like this?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

This isn't about you, it's about the fact that, for whatever reason, the presence of bad people among developers means that the millions of people who play RPGs without any cognizance of Zak Smith must necessarily be racist, misogynistic, homophobic and transphobic, etc. It's not only woolly thinking, it's built around essentially forgiving the people that are really responsible by making the focus players as opposed to developers.

I'm just gonna go ahead and ask you why the hell you think anyone has ever said this. I mean, my amusement at you calling me an imperialist or aristocrat or robot aside. Is my saying that some people are bad the same as saying all people are bad in your head? Have I somehow been saying this in places I'm not aware of? And why the hell do you apparently care harder about an IRC ban than either the bannee or the bann-er? And why do you think arguing to a silent, invisible majority works?

e; or are only you allowed to be hyperbolic, come on help me out here.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 25, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Effectronica posted:

And yet monseigneur "Don't post insults" will, of course, remain silent here. But hey, no need for any kind of concrete response, just condescension. Does your mother know you're talking like this?

I understand it's hard out here being a conservative brony today, but in the real world (aka not Equestria), women don't have to get permission from their owners to post mean things on the Internet.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 25, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Effectronica posted:

Does your mother know you're talking like this?

Does yours know you you like to throw public temper tantrums when you hear people say things you don't like?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I'm just gonna go ahead and ask you why the hell you think anyone has ever said this. I mean, my amusement at you calling me an imperialist or aristocrat or robot aside. Is my saying that some people are bad the same as saying all people are bad in your head? Have I somehow been saying this in places I'm not aware of? And why the hell do you apparently care harder about an IRC ban than either the bannee or the bann-er? And why do you think arguing to a silent, invisible majority works?

I don't give a poo poo about your IRC. I was using Plutonis as an example of someone who is generally hated by Traditional Games to make a point about how this sort of behavior is built around a nasty core of elitism. And you did, in fact, say this every single time you used "players". The entire focus has been about how the hobby is irredeemable because the players are motherfuckers, followed by posting another example of John Tweet being massively sexist or James Raggi or any of the many motherfuckers who make RPGs, amateur or professional. In fact, the fact that you're still banging on about a silent majority makes it clear how little you understand this: it's not a silent majority argument if the "silent majority" doesn't support anything. I'm not saying "players are saints", I'm saying the vast majority of players are ignorant of this issue and using it to condemn them is ridiculous and downright hateful when you consider the people that you're throwing them in with.

In fact, arguably you're engaging in silent majority arguments, just invoking them as not agreeing with you rather than agreeing with you.

Arivia posted:

I understand it's hard being a conservative brony today, but in the real world (aka not Equestria), women don't have to get permission from their owners to post mean things on the Internet.

Nice! 2012-era jokes from the political cartoons thread. Even better, parental issues! I'd suggest seeing a therapist about why you implicitly associate your parents with slavery, but no doubt that will prompt timely Scientology jokes.

neongrey posted:

Does yours know you you like to throw public temper tantrums when you hear people say things you don't like?

Another reason why Stalin was right- when it comes to saying nasty, overblown things about people in large numbers, that's hardly worth noticing. When you say nasty, overblown things about individual people, it's intolerable.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
You are a parody of a human being; I refuse to believe you are being the slightest bit serious.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FewtureMD posted:

Are bears on the table too? But re:bishies, that Free! show is pretty great.

Why yes yes it is let's talk about that instead who's your favorite I like Makoto and Rei

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

neongrey posted:

You are a parody of a human being; I refuse to believe you are being the slightest bit serious.

ding ding ding

• Locked thread