Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

sassassin posted:

God citadel is such trash.

Serious question

Do you and your hateful posse even like Mass Effect Trilogy? You shitpost so much about it that I'm curious why you even bothered. You have so much bad to say about so many characters and storyline choices.

I guess you could say the gameplay appealed to you but ME never struck me as a good game to play purely for the gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr crow
Mar 5, 2009
well, I see why there was a whole nother thread for the ending. Sigh.

mr crow
Mar 5, 2009
but basically the Synthesis ending is the best one because thats the ending they can disappoint the most on in MAss Effect 4. Which is going to be a sequel.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aristobulus posted:

Serious question

Do you and your hateful posse even like Mass Effect Trilogy? You shitpost so much about it that I'm curious why you even bothered. You have so much bad to say about so many characters and storyline choices.

I guess you could say the gameplay appealed to you but ME never struck me as a good game to play purely for the gameplay.

Attempting to discredit me rather than addressing my criticisms is arguing in bad faith, and I won't respond to it.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

MA-Horus posted:

Out of curiosity though, if you sacrifice Ash to nuclear fire on Virmire and Kaidan sticks around until the Citadel party...who does he hook up with?

With me. Always

Him making me breakfast is why I can't ever save Ashley on Virmire. Even though the stupid game doesn't let me romance him in game 1.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

sassassin posted:

Attempting to discredit me rather than addressing my criticisms is arguing in bad faith, and I won't respond to it.

I'm not trying to discredit you.

I'm 100% seriously, genuinely asking you what you like about the series.

E - This has nothing to do with your criticisms in and of themselves which is why I didn't address them. Your criticisms could be valid, they could be invalid, I'm not concerned with that. As far as your criticisms are concerned it's not relevant to me beyond that you simply have them. I'm not trying to change your mind on your criticisms.

I just want to know what you do like about the series, man.

Aristobulus fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 25, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love Aria, the ending of Mass Effect 3, and getting Liara killed.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aristobulus posted:

I'm not trying to discredit you.

I'm 100% seriously, genuinely asking you what you like about the series.

Mass Effect 1
Mass Effect 2
Kai Leng

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

What did you like about ME1 and ME2, and if you're serious, Kai Leng?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aristobulus posted:

What did you like about ME1 and ME2, and if you're serious, Kai Leng?

If you look over my post history I have made my Kai Leng-related feelings quite clear.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

Man, can you just answer the questions?

I wouldn't tell someone to dig through my post history to find out why I liked Liara or Mass Effect or etc.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aristobulus posted:

I wouldn't tell someone to dig through my post history to find out why I liked Liara or Mass Effect or etc.

I didn't realise it was 9 pages long. I apologise.

sassassin posted:

He's an irritant and an obstacle in a way that Saren and Sovereign and everything in ME3 never really were. A genuine antagonist.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 25, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aristobulus posted:

You know he does it specifically so people will attend him and make his attempts at trolling relevant. Just ignore it and you'll be fine.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I am not a troll.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Ain't nothing wrong with Kai "Thane Killer" Leng.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think my problems with Kai Leng really stemmed more from how half-assed a mission Priority: Thessia was.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Aristobulus posted:

Yeah, but no one's asking.

Here's a question about Mass Effect 3; why doesn't Admiral Hackett say 'get your rear end to Mars' and if he does, cool.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah, but no one's asking.

Here's a question about Mass Effect 3; why doesn't Admiral Hackett say 'get your rear end to Mars' and if he does, cool.

his first transmission is all garbled so there's no proof he didn't say it.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I think my problems with Kai Leng really stemmed more from how half-assed a mission Priority: Thessia was.

Why can't you shoot the gunship, huh. You try to shoot the gunship and Kai Leng makes fun of you.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

mr crow posted:

but basically the Synthesis ending is the best one because thats the ending they can disappoint the most on in MAss Effect 4. Which is going to be a sequel.

The correct ending is for everyone to die at the collector base, thus avoiding ME3 altogether. :colbert:

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The correct ending is for everyone to die at the collector base, thus avoiding ME3 altogether. :colbert:

My head-canon is fleeing with Shiala at the end of ME2.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

sassassin posted:

I didn't realise it was 9 pages long. I apologise.

Ah you editted it in. That's actually reasonable. I can follow that logic for liking Kai Leng even if I ultimately disagree that it makes him a "good character".

So what are your reasons for liking ME1 and ME2?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aristobulus posted:

Ah you editted it in. That's actually reasonable. I can follow that logic for liking Kai Leng even if I ultimately disagree that it makes him a "good character".

So what are your reasons for liking ME1 and ME2?

Many and varied.

Everyone should read my post history, though. It's really witty and insightful and has some top, top tips for sick game playings.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think it is high time for a new thread. I don't know if I care enough to actually make one.

Thoughts:

- It should be a ME thread, not tied to any one game. IE: The Mass Effect Thread
- It should have a FAQ so we can just tell people to read the OP for all the usual questions
- It should call people poors if they don't want to actually spend money on DLCs when they only pay $20 for three full $60 games.
- It should also poo poo all over synthesis

Possible titles:

The Mass Effect Thread (Red is the correct ending)
The Mass Effect Thread (If you choose green you are wrong)
The Mass Effect Thread (Everyone hates Aria)
The Mass Effect Thread (Beating up women is part of the game)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Mass Effect (Still whining about the ending 30 months later)

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Jesus christ, yeah. He's such a loving pushover that whenever I fight him, on Insanity difficulty only, he never gets an attack off because I rip down his shields within a second of him taking off his plot-armor. If the game wasn't actively taunting the player, if the fight was at all difficult, if the guy wasn't clearly incompetent and weak I could buy the argument that he's a good antagonist. He's a bundle of cliches protected by the writers because they couldn't think of a credible threat to Shepard.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Varjon posted:

Jesus christ, yeah. He's such a loving pushover that whenever I fight him, on Insanity difficulty only, he never gets an attack off because I rip down his shields within a second of him taking off his plot-armor. If the game wasn't actively taunting the player, if the fight was at all difficult, if the guy wasn't clearly incompetent and weak I could buy the argument that he's a good antagonist. He's a bundle of cliches protected by the writers because they couldn't think of a credible threat to Shepard.

I thought Kai Leng was really cool when they first showed his silhouette and I believed the Illusive Man had turned Jacob into some kind of cyber-ninja warrior with ~evil reaper tech~ (which would have finally made Jacob interesting, in my opinion). Then I found out he was just some lame anime-knockoff and a completely new character (blah blah, I know he was in comics or something dumb, whatever). That was the beginning of my disappointment with ME3.

The fact that he taunts you with how awesome he is, but can't stand on his own without using AI cheat codes, just adds insult to injury. I know they wanted us to be frustrated with him, but I don't think anyone was actually frustrated with him, they were frustrated with the game not letting you actually fight him.

Fake edit for new thread title: The Mass Effect Thread - Colorblind Edition

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Varjon posted:

I don't think your experience is the norm. The first time I fought him I did struggle a bit. I didn't come close to dying, but it wasn't easy. Now that I know the game he is a pushover. But that first time, he was a challenge. I might be thinking of the final fight, though. In any case, if Bioware tuned him to be hard for someone like you, then your average player would never beat him.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't think your experience is the norm. The first time I fought him I did struggle a bit. I didn't come close to dying, but it wasn't easy. Now that I know the game he is a pushover. But that first time, he was a challenge. I might be thinking of the final fight, though. In any case, if Bioware tuned him to be hard for someone like you, then your average player would never beat him.

I find it hard to believe that anyone had a hard time with any of the Kai Leng encounters. Do you not use powers?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I find it hard to believe that anyone had a hard time with any of the Saren encounters. Do you not use powers?

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I thought Kai Leng was really cool when they first showed his silhouette and I believed the Illusive Man had turned Jacob into some kind of cyber-ninja warrior with ~evil reaper tech~ (which would have finally made Jacob interesting, in my opinion). Then I found out he was just some lame anime-knockoff and a completely new character (blah blah, I know he was in comics or something dumb, whatever). That was the beginning of my disappointment with ME3.

I had no expectations going in, I tend to just take things as they come and examine them later, but Kai Leng was so mind numbingly stupid that every time he did anything I just said "really?"

In thinking about it later, if they wanted a credible antagonist, it should have been the virmire survivor instead of resolving those (pretty legitimate) questions in one scene and having everything be hunky dory. Bioware's writers would never have the gall to do something like that though

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Ashley could never be a credible threat to Shepard. It stretches credibility that she would even be made a spectre (but then it's just a pr stunt like Shepard's appointment so w/e)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Varjon posted:

In thinking about it later, if they wanted a credible antagonist, it should have been the virmire survivor instead of resolving those (pretty legitimate) questions in one scene and having everything be hunky dory. Bioware's writers would never have the gall to do something like that though

Having it be the VS is even worse; potentially they have seen all the various Cerberus projects including assassination, killing Alliance soldiers, and experimenting with Rachni/husks/creepers. Why would they say "sure sign me up for controlling the Reapers I'm sure it will work this time."

I swear everytime someone says "ME3 sucked here is a much better idea" it will be facepalm time.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Having it be the VS is even worse; potentially they have seen all the various Cerberus projects including assassination, killing Alliance soldiers, and experimenting with Rachni/husks/creepers. Why would they say "sure sign me up for controlling the Reapers I'm sure it will work this time."

I swear everytime someone says "ME3 sucked here is a much better idea" it will be facepalm time.

Well, to be clear, I didn't mean on the side of the reapers and whatnot. I meant the VS working against shepard from within Council/citadel authority. The whole game is about trying to unite the races, so having an actual threat to that that isn't the illusive man having an endless supply of mooks and wasn't a direct physical threat that you could just casually mow down would have been extremely interesting and actually traded on the social interaction aspect of the series.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Varjon posted:

Well, to be clear, I didn't mean on the side of the reapers and whatnot. I meant the VS working against shepard from within Council/citadel authority. The whole game is about trying to unite the races, so having an actual threat to that that isn't the illusive man having an endless supply of mooks and wasn't a direct physical threat that you could just casually mow down would have been extremely interesting and actually traded on the social interaction aspect of the series.

Wouldn't have worked because Shepard's diplomacy skills in ME3 are limited to "Save Earth now, stupids!" and the game would be impossible to complete.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Varjon posted:

So having the VS resurrected by something not Cerberus from the remains of a nuclear detonation, the person who gave their lives so Shepard could complete the mission now wants to stop them because reasons. Well that is much better.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

Varjon posted:

I'm fine with your idea in theory, but in practice it would need more work because for a player like me (paragon) it would just end up stinging that I yet again am opposing the Citadel/Countil when as a player I want to side with them.

Like in ME2 the first time I played the game, the very first thing I did when I could, was go straight to the Citadel and talk to the Council and try to rejoin them.

I feel like ME3 would've been neat if it was like, renegade -> side with Cerberus or oppose both Cerberus and the Council, Paragon -> Side with Council, oppose Cerberus

A new thread could be cool but there's no significant event to warrant it. Personally I'd rather wait until we have more concrete information about the next ME game and then a new thread can talk about that too

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

sassassin posted:

Ashley could never be a credible threat to Shepard. It stretches credibility that she would even be made a spectre (but then it's just a pr stunt like Shepard's appointment so w/e)

It's be perfect precisely because she's not a credible threat. That would annoy the player when she beats you in a cutscene anyway, and make it satisfying to kill her at the end.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

2house2fly posted:

It's be perfect precisely because she's not a credible threat. That would annoy the player when she beats you in a cutscene anyway, and make it satisfying to kill her at the end.
You do realize that what you're describing is Kai Leng, but with another character skin stapled onto him?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Raygereio posted:

You do realize that what you're describing is Kai Leng, but with another character skin stapled onto him?

I think his point is that plot armor is more forgivable with a known and established character who Shep may not want to kill/knows Shep's weaknesses, rather than someone they just farted out from the supplemental material. It's still a bad idea, but it's slightly less bad.

Like I said, I was intrigued at first when I thought Kai Leng was a reaperized-Jacob, but inventing an ultimate badass out of thin air just to have him thwart the player at every turn was bad game design and terrible writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

2house2fly posted:

Look, if you want to kill Ashley you don't have to wait until the end just don't talk to her in the hospital and let one of your squaddies shoot her in the faceoff with Udina

Or y'know, sweet nuclear fire.

• Locked thread