Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hmm. If you twist Fetch, do you get the same kind of followup mission, only she's all "well, I wiped out all these little fish, time to eat the BIG DOGS"? Or is it completely different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Nalesh posted:

Gotta admit, when I first saw this game I expected "Donte the demon killer" style protagonist and writing. I'm pleasantly surprised by the writing so far though.

Also,

Calimari's Revenge
Rock'em Sock'em Icon
You Scratch My Back
Oopsy-DUPsy
Raven Lunatic

if DmC is your benchmark I imagine you would be impressed with just about any writing in video games. But yeah, I've been a fan of Sucker Punches' writing ever since Infamous 2, which was such an improvement over the first game I could hardly believe that some of the characters were the same (Zeke being the most dramatic move from worst character to best character I've ever seen).

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Yeah, I was just getting that vibe from him when I saw the screenshots of him etc.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas

Glazius posted:

Hmm. If you twist Fetch, do you get the same kind of followup mission, only she's all "well, I wiped out all these little fish, time to eat the BIG DOGS"? Or is it completely different?

Sort of. She starts targeting the activists but I can't quite recall if she kills them until Evil Delsin's weird insistence on murdering the activists finally succeeds. The mission we'll be seeing next update is completely different depending on whether or not you're good or evil. That's basically how the game goes: learn your power, then actually experience the 'consequence' of your decision in a mission.

Speaking of which, sorry about the slow pace of updates! My kitchen is getting remodeled so it's been pretty tough finding some quiet recording time--the next video should be ready either tomorrow or the day after though. On the bright side, I have a pretty huge chunk of the game done and dusted (character spoilers if that matters to you), past Eugene's morality mission, so that's not going to be an issue at least?

VVVVVV ah, thanks, that's what I was trying to say. I just remember her trapping one of the activists and Delsin's like "ohh, I see you're branching out!"

cardinal direction fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 25, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Glazius posted:

The training mission is almost exactly the same except for the terrible dialog("Hey fetch I know you're angry at drug dealers, but shouldn't you be more angry at your Parents and everyone else who treats Conduits like freaks? The ones that drove you to drugs in the first place?"), and that one clearing where you find a bunch of drug dealers tied up is instead a bunch of beat up and bloodied protestors.

quote:

She starts targeting the activists but I can't quite recall if she kills them until Evil Delsin's weird insistence on murdering the activists finally succeeds
Nope, it's basically "Hey you know what would feel good right now? Murder." "Fine if it'll get you to shut up." The Evil dialog is pretty miserable except in a few places where it actually manages to make you, the player, feel like an rear end in a top hat for choosing it.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 25, 2014

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

It's a pretty unfortunate trope of the genre. You don't have a whole lot of ways to interact with NPCs other than attacking/killing them. So whether you're good or bad is determined largely by who you attack and the methods you use (subdue/murder). Sure, they could have made it more in depth, but that would have required adding more mechanics to the game.

Pompitous
Nov 4, 2009

Space Cowboy

Sessile posted:

It's a pretty unfortunate trope of the genre. You don't have a whole lot of ways to interact with NPCs other than attacking/killing them. So whether you're good or bad is determined largely by who you attack and the methods you use (subdue/murder). Sure, they could have made it more in depth, but that would have required adding more mechanics to the game.

I think it's more of a case of how games are produced nowadays. Just imagine party interaction. I don't like [party member] because [party member] said [list of things other party member can say to piss you off]. Just text, this is an intro to programming assignment. Throw in voice acting and this is weeks of recording and animation and a giant mountain of money. So you get binary morality not because this is the way the world works, but because it's cheap. That's just the way the world works. :colbert:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
If I wanted binary morality, I'd prefer it be other metrics besides good and evil. Maybe "Cowboy" versus "Samurai" or "Might" versus "Mind" or something.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Pompitous posted:

I think it's more of a case of how games are produced nowadays. Just imagine party interaction. I don't like [party member] because [party member] said [list of things other party member can say to piss you off]. Just text, this is an intro to programming assignment. Throw in voice acting and this is weeks of recording and animation and a giant mountain of money. So you get binary morality not because this is the way the world works, but because it's cheap. That's just the way the world works. :colbert:

I think the issue with Second Son is that Good Delsin is actually written fairly well, he has problems with authority and sees little problem with hurting people, but he's not okay with cold blooded murder. And his interactions with his brother work pretty well and help shape his character ("They're only drug dealers man." "It's still murder!"). Whereas Evil Delsin's dickishness and murder streak come out of nowhere and disappear whenever the morality plotlines converge.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Veyrall posted:

If I wanted binary morality, I'd prefer it be other metrics besides good and evil. Maybe "Cowboy" versus "Samurai" or "Might" versus "Mind" or something.

To be entirely frank I deeply desire a game with a cowboy and samurai meter now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

GSD posted:

To be entirely frank I deeply desire a game with a cowboy and samurai meter now.

I'm sorry but a samurai cowboy with a hero meter is the best I can do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Dzbe5x5j4

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 27, 2014

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Veyrall posted:

Paragon vs Renegade, perhaps :v:

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
Having a bit of a delay on the cut commentary, sorry, have :siren: 7. Date With a Death Toll (uncut group commentary) :siren: a little early. Solo commentary can be found here!

cardinal direction fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 18, 2014

Pompitous
Nov 4, 2009

Space Cowboy

Kurieg posted:

I think the issue with Second Son is that Good Delsin is actually written fairly well, he has problems with authority and sees little problem with hurting people, but he's not okay with cold blooded murder. And his interactions with his brother work pretty well and help shape his character ("They're only drug dealers man." "It's still murder!"). Whereas Evil Delsin's dickishness and murder streak come out of nowhere and disappear whenever the morality plotlines converge.

But that's kinda been a problem with video game characters in general. It's not a factor of good vs. evil. It's always been altruism vs. selfishness. What reason does Delsin have to kill those drug dealers? Because some NPC tells him they're bad? No, because it's fun to do. I think the only well written evil player character I've ever seen was in Mask of the Betrayer.

And it never helps that the evil way is almost always easier. Want that chest? Convince it's guardian that you really need it after passing 3 speech checks. Fail one? Oops, you're evil now. Or just shoot him in the face. Oops, you're evil now.

Maybe it's just a result of video games having a history of being written by programmers and not writers. So someone hates you because your morality stat is -1, and not because you've developed a relationship with them, or there's a narrative reason for it to happen.

Ranting aside, I think the game looks like a lot of fun, and I did enjoy the other Infamous games, despite their morality silliness. I'm really looking forward to see how this turns out.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I have to admit, the writing (for the good Delsin anyway) is not... completely terrible? I mean, I suppose I would be kinda wary of games with the whole 'gently caress the man' kinda attitude ever since the jaw-dropping horrendousness that was DmC, but this isn't entirely awful.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 28, 2014

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

Kurieg posted:

Good Delsin is written well (if a little too much). The problem with Bad Delsin is that he goes through the same story and many of the same plot elements as Good but without changing the motivation. The developers just try to fit Bad into the Good frame work and make him an rear end in a top hat to show that he has turned bad. Infamous 1's Good Cole was a superhero defending his city. Bad Cole wanted to kick competition out of his city and get revenge. Good Delsin wants to save his tribe. Bad Delsin also wants to save his tribe but is now a jerk. Bad Delsin just doesn't have much reason for being as bad as he is. Sure every now and then he brings up the conduit-versus-bio-terrorist argument, but there is still a presentable leap between him acknowledging people's fear to karma bombing a group of protestors.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fun fact about this mission: If you fall in the water Delsin just sits there until you press the button and warp back to shore. Sucker Punch still haven't put being able to swim in their games despite there being no reason that their main character can't go into the water now!

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Samovar posted:

I have to admit, the writing (for the good Delsin anyway) is not... completely terrible? I mean, I suppose I would be kinda wary of games with the whole 'gently caress the man' kinda attitude ever since the jaw-dropping horrendousness that was DmC, but this isn't entirely awful.

To be fair, inFamous 2 did a far better job at writing than this one. In that you cared about the relationships between all the characters and especially the Zeke/Cole friendship.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Delsin's gently caress the man attitude is meant to give him a bit of a pivot, narratively speaking; it could then allow him to easily swing into "loveable rogue" or "self-absorbed criminal" depending on how you play.

I personally think it works a lot better when you play him as a good guy, though, but I don't actually hate this game's bad ending either. (We'll discuss it when it actually happens)

What I will definitely praise this game for, though, is that once you get far enough along it becomes very easy for everyone you fight to be taken down nonlethally. Heroes ideally should try not to kill everyone they see, even bad guys, so it works, a LOT.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
Since you asked, yes.. in a Seattle where we have huge houseboats in the main downtown waterway we also have smokestacks like Dickinson's England and neon like Vegas. ;) They have taken a few liberties with our little town.

They did a nice job on the Space Needle, though.

Lipumira fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 29, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, I can see how they'd spin this easy. Delsin needs to spend more time around The Man.

"DUP operatives celebrate after a successful drug bust at the waterfront destroyed several million dollars in illegal drugs and resulted in over two dozen arrests. The dealers had also kidnapped several women, who are understandably being held in detox after describing their saviors as, quote, 'motherfucking neon angels', unquote."

Renzyal
Aug 4, 2013
The movie that ilthrel was thinking of was most likely the movie adaptation of stephen king's the mist http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mist_(film)

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
Okay, so here's the deal. I am bad at updating consistently--well, at least the solo videos. On the bright side, we've basically recorded the next three episodes of the group commentary videos so those will be out in short order. I'm going to try and get the solo and trimmed down videos out more quickly but if you don't really care then I'll just upload the group videos as they're done so the thread doesn't stagnate for like a month. I'm super sorry for the wait!

That being said:

:siren: 7. I'm the Smoke Guy (uncut commentary), solo commentary forthcoming :siren:

Also, solo commentary of 7. Date with a Death Toll is available. I'm trying something out where I just cut out the travel time and a lot of the shooty bits because I think you get it by now. If for whatever reason you don't like that, then let me know!

This is just going to be an enormous post, I guess:

Graffiti Roundup 2 (if my count is correct) will be:

Calamari's Revenge
Rock'em Sock'em Icon
You Scratch My Back
Fish Food
Raven Lunatic

cardinal direction fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 18, 2014

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I actually like fighting this boss with smoke for a while - it does almost no damage and there's no way to resupply, so you have to get neon in the end, but until then, Augustine keeps taunting you for trying to hide the power she knows you have. It's kind of clever.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Are you also not updating the table of contents in the first post, or did i miss videos 5-7 somehow?

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
It's both, I've both forgotten and misnumbered stuff. :suicide: Fixing that now, thanks for letting me know!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nidoking posted:

I actually like fighting this boss with smoke for a while - it does almost no damage and there's no way to resupply, so you have to get neon in the end, but until then, Augustine keeps taunting you for trying to hide the power she knows you have. It's kind of clever.

It's technically possible to beat him with smoke if you upgrade everything and never miss. The cutscene plays out assuming you picked up neon regardless. Probably because it's one of those things you have to try very hard to get and you almost assuredly won't do it on your first playthrough.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
While the solo commentary is out, I just felt like I should mention in the uncut commentary that when you guys talk over in game stuff like the phone calls setting up the next mission, or the bust stop TV news bits, I can not understand your commentary nor the in game voice and it's just a lose/lose no matter which one I'd rather be listening to.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What's Delsin's ring tone, exactly?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Samovar posted:

What's Delsin's ring tone, exactly?

The Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time theme song. They released an MP3 of it along with a couple of other things as a part of a fansite kit around the game's release.

bucketcapacity
Jan 20, 2011

Kurieg posted:

It's technically possible to beat him with smoke if you upgrade everything and never miss. The cutscene plays out assuming you picked up neon regardless. Probably because it's one of those things you have to try very hard to get and you almost assuredly won't do it on your first playthrough.

They should at least give you something (an item, a power-up) for beating the guy without neon. Maybe if they were cool, a different cutscene that made Delsin use his neon powers anyway. Or, if they were really cool, an entirely new plot line for beating a boss in a difficult and unconventional way. But I guess AAA video games will never be brave and adventurous like that :(

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

bucketcapacity posted:

They should at least give you something (an item, a power-up) for beating the guy without neon. Maybe if they were cool, a different cutscene that made Delsin use his neon powers anyway. Or, if they were really cool, an entirely new plot line for beating a boss in a difficult and unconventional way. But I guess AAA video games will never be brave and adventurous like that :(

The playtesters didn't find it, like I said it's annoyingly hard to pull off.

Besides there are other things left in the game that you probably aren't supposed to find. Like Fetch's Boss Arena, and Heaven's Hellfire

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
I sort of feel like you should be doing the LP because I knew none of these things!

Anyway, uncut part 8 is coming tonight (but probably pretty lateish), gonna try and swing for cut 7 too. Shoot for the stars and all that. I have a question for those of you who have played the game concerning an upcoming section that I'm sure you can guess: exactly how much of the thrilling boss fight that's coming up should I cut out? I was going to leave it at is for the group video but I'm having second thoughts because holy moly. The solo video will be cut regardless but should I just show a bit and jump ahead to the end or speed up the entire fight considerably?

You can read that if you don't care about spoilers, I guess, it's pretty vague now that I look at it. Better safe than sorry!

edit: okay, so, ilthrel's a bit late on sending me his audio so it's more like tomorrow for the video, I guess

cardinal direction fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 22, 2014

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Let them suffer

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

cardinal direction posted:

I sort of feel like you should be doing the LP because I knew none of these things!

Anyway, uncut part 8 is coming tonight (but probably pretty lateish), gonna try and swing for cut 7 too. Shoot for the stars and all that. I have a question for those of you who have played the game concerning an upcoming section that I'm sure you can guess: exactly how much of the thrilling boss fight that's coming up should I cut out? I was going to leave it at is for the group video but I'm having second thoughts because holy moly. The solo video will be cut regardless but should I just show a bit and jump ahead to the end or speed up the entire fight considerably?

You can read that if you don't care about spoilers, I guess, it's pretty vague now that I look at it. Better safe than sorry!

Unless you've already recorded it, if you clean out the first island and upgrade the heavy ammo for both of your powersets to as high as it can go, you can speed up the spoilery thing quite a bit.

Otherwise just speed it up and leave in the basement exploration bits for sure.

Regarding the other two things I mentioned above, there are videos on youtube for how to access them, but every interior area actually exists in the game world, they're just floating out over the open water in the bay.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I tend to prefer speed-ups for really long sections just because it gives a fairer impression of how long they take, and there's usually enough to say about what's happening to cover one-fourth of the total time.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
Well, I'm not sure what happened to the solo commentary version of the last episode. It's just sort of... disappeared? Does that count as LP curse? Gonna have to redo it, possibly???

Anyway, :siren: 8. Don't Be A Dick, solo commentary forthcoming :siren:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Only way to break the curse is to re-do it in the form of limericks.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Having been a conduit for all of a couple of weeks, Delsin telling the guy that spent 6 years being experimented on that 'there's a better way to live' seems a bit patronizing.

I had forgotten what happened in the last video, so I was really confused as to why there were literal angels that no one seemed bothered by in the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

"I don't have powers!"

"I'VE GOT NOTHING MAN"

"NO NEW POWERS"

"WHO CARES IF BILLBOARDS AND TV SCREENS ARE MARKED ON MY MINI MAP WHAT DO I NEED TO USE THESE POWERS"

• Locked thread