Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

Yeah, I realized as I was taking pictures that there's absolutely nothing going on back there. Probably should've put the Imperial Aquila decal on that instead of the rear of the vehicle.

Use the giant hazard stripe that comes on one of the decal sheets. Because random hazard stripes are 40k as gently caress.

Improbable Lobster posted:

"STAND CLEAR BY ORDER OF THE DEPARTMENTO MUNITORUM AND ADEPTUS MECHANICUS JOINT SAFETY COUNCIL"

Or this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Seconding the hazard stripes. They're so 2nd ed it hurts. Either that or one of those giant white "U" decals.

Or a skull.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Two skulls? Like brakelights? :ohdear:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

DE codex and voidraven preorders are up. The card set comes with cards for the different combat drugs. The bomber looks a lot cooler now that I can see it from different angles, and there is definitely a different gun option.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LingcodKilla posted:

Whirlwinds should have just got a third option for anti air stuff instead of that stupid stalker crap.

There is, IIRC. Whirlwind Hyperios, but I think it's FW only.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

koreban posted:

Is it me or with all the options now are knights sort of turning into an end-all-be-all set of units? I don't see much that can reliably threaten an adamantium lance when you look at all the knight options now. It wasn't so bad when it was the knight paladin and errant with the choice between the melta cannon or blast cannon and the D-strength close combat weapon, but the new models' versatility is getting to where next GT is just going to be mechwarrior with skulls.

The Lance is definitely really strong, but it's not completely unstoppable- it is, however, one of the strongest options in the game. However, the fact that the FW variants are both experimental rules (which most tournaments don't allow currently) and not available as part of an Adamantine Lance means you may not see much of them. However, like a lot of things GW has done recently I don't think it's very good for the game.

LingcodKilla posted:

Whirlwinds should have just got a third option for anti air stuff instead of that stupid stalker crap.

The Stalker/Hunter got printed because GW needed to make a new kit to sell to people, let's not lie to ourselves. If they'd just done the AA Whirlwind we would've had the mediocre Hyperios variant again.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

PeterWeller posted:

DE codex and voidraven preorders are up. The card set comes with cards for the different combat drugs. The bomber looks a lot cooler now that I can see it from different angles, and there is definitely a different gun option.

Cards are sold out in the UK and going for 3x the price in ebay already. gently caress's sake.

But as I type this my offer on one was accepted. Gotta have the set for my DE. Not getting the LE codex so that's OK...isn't it?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

AbusePuppy posted:

The Lance is definitely really strong, but it's not completely unstoppable- it is, however, one of the strongest options in the game. However, the fact that the FW variants are both experimental rules (which most tournaments don't allow currently) and not available as part of an Adamantine Lance means you may not see much of them. However, like a lot of things GW has done recently I don't think it's very good for the game.

The Stalker/Hunter got printed because GW needed to make a new kit to sell to people, let's not lie to ourselves. If they'd just done the AA Whirlwind we would've had the mediocre Hyperios variant again.

Yeah it's just bad marketing. I don't play a ton anymore but I still havnt seen one used in the wild nor do I actually know anyone who has one and uses it instead of a flyer.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Cards are sold out in the UK and going for 3x the price in ebay already. gently caress's sake.

But as I type this my offer on one was accepted. Gotta have the set for my DE. Not getting the LE codex so that's OK...isn't it?

Yeah, I went ahead and preordered the cards so I'm guaranteed to get a set. I'll get the actual book from a FLGS who does 20% off. The only lovely thing is now I'll have to drive to a GW store and put up with the stench to pick up my cards because I ain't gonna pay $9 in shipping for an $8 set of cards.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

There is, IIRC. Whirlwind Hyperios, but I think it's FW only.

Imagine 60 point Whirlwinds that could fire frag, krak, or flac missiles. When I first read my 30k book I misread it and thought this was the case.

Wouldn't it be so drat... reasonable?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BULBASAUR posted:

Imagine 60 point Whirlwinds that could fire frag, krak, or flac missiles. When I first read my 30k book I misread it and thought this was the case.

It's almost something a highly trained, flexible force of adaptive super soldiers would use.

Better use a giant penis launcher instead for maximum space for skull motive decor.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, I went ahead and preordered the cards so I'm guaranteed to get a set. I'll get the actual book from a FLGS who does 20% off. The only lovely thing is now I'll have to drive to a GW store and put up with the stench to pick up my cards because I ain't gonna pay $9 in shipping for an $8 set of cards.

There is one GW store near me that always has at least a few people in it playing a game, and it very rarely smells. The staff are mostly pleasant, especially one guy named Thor who seems to have been living and breathing GW for years. I think I lucked out.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

It's almost something a highly trained, flexible force of adaptive super soldiers would use.

Better use a giant penis launcher instead for maximum space for skull motive decor.

Eh, while I agree with you in principle, remember that the giant penis launcher is that way because the missiles use a built in servitor as a guidance system, and wiring up some poor dude to make a "smart" missile is pretty much the most 40K thing since the DA gun pulpit. :black101:

Squifferific posted:

There is one GW store near me that always has at least a few people in it playing a game, and it very rarely smells. The staff are mostly pleasant, especially one guy named Thor who seems to have been living and breathing GW for years. I think I lucked out.

I kid. My nearest store isn't that bad, and I usually run into a few cool people when I swing by. I just wanted to bitch about driving across town to save nine dollars. :v:

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Look, if GW is going to let you fire Flakk Missiles, they are going to charge you at least twenty-five points for the privilege, and on a Whirlwind you can probably expect more like forty points. Because any platform that has any chance of hurting a flyer should cost at least twice what the flyer itself does, even if the shooter is completely incapable of doing anything else.

In brighter news, I put together one of the Eldar Vaul's Wrath batteries today for the first time. The kit is awfully expensive ($25 for a 30pt model, yikes) but it goes together pretty cleverly and it's innately set up so that all three weapons are easily swappable without any need for a magnet at all, which is pretty cool. Makes me feel a lot less bad about the cost of it.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

AbusePuppy posted:

it's innately set up so that all three weapons are easily swappable without any need for a magnet at all, which is pretty cool. Makes me feel a lot less bad about the cost of it.

Guess what I did.

:negative:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
don't feel too bad, i did the same for the weapon mount on my vyper

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Boon posted:

Guess what I did.

:negative:

Did...

...did you gently caress its holes? It's okay to admit, man, we won't judge you. What happens at the modeling table stays at the modeling table.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Early reports on the DEldar codex look like it's going the Grey Knights route. 3 named HQs, Archon and Succubus, no Vect/Lord of War, power-from-pain changing to turn-based bonuses, webway portal gives vehicles deep strike, splinter cannons going to 4/6 salvo, no flickerfields.

No word of a supplement yet, but if there is one it'll likely be the other half of the codex.

I'm not confident that gaining deep strike is the answer to Dark Eldar's woes, especially when they lose popular units like Duke and pick up that bomber that supposedly costs the same as a land raider for a 10AV all-around flying vehicle.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Guy from our FLGS is going through a divorce, 40k being the catalyst for a long series of missteps and eventual betrayals. Secret credit cards, overspending, divided attention...

Hug your kids once in a while you jerks.

:smith:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Guy from our FLGS is going through a divorce, 40k being the catalyst for a long series of missteps and eventual betrayals. Secret credit cards, overspending, divided attention...

I like to think that 40k is interchangeable with just about anything in this situation.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Boon posted:

I like to think that 40k is interchangeable with just about anything in this situation.

You're right.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Stay safe warhammer spouse

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Well, since I have no family and all my friends play 40k I guess I'm good to go!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

koreban posted:

Early reports on the DEldar codex look like it's going the Grey Knights route. 3 named HQs, Archon and Succubus, no Vect/Lord of War, power-from-pain changing to turn-based bonuses, webway portal gives vehicles deep strike, splinter cannons going to 4/6 salvo, no flickerfields.

No word of a supplement yet, but if there is one it'll likely be the other half of the codex.

I'm not confident that gaining deep strike is the answer to Dark Eldar's woes, especially when they lose popular units like Duke and pick up that bomber that supposedly costs the same as a land raider for a 10AV all-around flying vehicle.

Doesn't surprise me really. I was expecting to lose the Baron, Duke, and Malys because they have been eliminating SCs without models for a while now. Salvo was made for stuff like the splinter cannon. Flickerfields have been largely redundant since 6E came out. There were other ways already to DS your boats, but if they're gone (and one for sure is if the Duke is gone), then that's an okay way to make WWPs relevant again.

Your "other half of the codex" is a handful of special characters, only two of which people really cared about. And the ones people cared about won't be a big deal if combat drugs and hellions are decent without them. DE don't need any new units. They just need tweaks and a voidraven model.

Really, the only surprise is a lack of a LoW. It seemed liked they were making a point to give every faction one. On the other hand, super heavies are totally against the DE gimmick, and the only other option really is Vect and the Dais, a model no one is really clamoring for.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

Doesn't surprise me really. I was expecting to lose the Baron, Duke, and Malys because they have been eliminating SCs without models for a while now. Salvo was made for stuff like the splinter cannon. Flickerfields have been largely redundant since 6E came out. There were other ways already to DS your boats, but if they're gone (and one for sure is if the Duke is gone), then that's an okay way to make WWPs relevant again.

Your "other half of the codex" is a handful of special characters, only two of which people really cared about. And the ones people cared about won't be a big deal if combat drugs and hellions are decent without them. DE don't need any new units. They just need tweaks and a voidraven model.

Really, the only surprise is a lack of a LoW. It seemed liked they were making a point to give every faction one. On the other hand, super heavies are totally against the DE gimmick, and the only other option really is Vect and the Dais, a model no one is really clamoring for.

The 'other half' I was referring to would have been more specifically some of the missing HQs and Vect/Dais in the Lord of War slot. Since a great many lists currently use Duke as HQ, it's perhaps weighted more strongly for that reason.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm not familiar with the GK codex at all, but judging from the reactions ITT these supposed changes to DE sound in-line with what else has come out recently. And I guess I'll have to learn the rules for Salvo.

I'm already looking at used Kabalite Warriors on ebay - I don't have a single one of the 2009 sculpts and they just look too cool.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The supplement is Haemonculus Covens. You get it in the £150 limited edition set.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

koreban posted:

The 'other half' I was referring to would have been more specifically some of the missing HQs and Vect/Dais in the Lord of War slot. Since a great many lists currently use Duke as HQ, it's perhaps weighted more strongly for that reason.

People use Duke because he gives a lot of value for the points, letting you reroll your drugs and deep strike boats, and buffing a squad of splinter warriors or trueborn. But he's not really a game changer that army builds rely on. He's just a good value in a generic build. So losing him means you just switch to running the archon you would have if the Duke didn't ever exist. I run him because I kitbashed a cool model using that Dark Elf dude with the kraken helm. I'll continue to use that model as an archon with a cool sword.

Losing the Baron may be the bigger deal since he changed the force org and buffed his squad of hellions into being decent for the cost. On the other hand, everything scores now and if trends hold, hellions will get cheaper. In his case, I guess I have a cool custom helliarch now. :shrug:

E: so basically, while I agree that losing them does suck, I don't think it's gonna change the way I play my DE, and I've been expecting to lose them since the Nid SCs without models went away.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 26, 2014

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Assuming Malys gets pulled, that will mean in the past two codex releases 1/3 of the named female characters will have been removed from the game. :geno:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

AbusePuppy posted:

Assuming Malys gets pulled, that will mean in the past two codex releases 1/3 of the named female characters will have been removed from the game. :geno:

Isn't it even worse than that? Who is left other than Celestine, Jain Zarr and Lelith?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Man, Vect being gone would blow. I know his model was super dated, but I was really pumped to see what they could do with Commorogah's most infamous Space Elf in new, delicious plastic.

Especially as he's the Calgar/Eldrad/Ghaz of Dark Eldar. :sigh:

PeterWeller posted:

Isn't it even worse than that? Who is left other than Celestine, Jain Zarr and Lelith?

Let's be honest, Celestine counts as like 0.5 as she doesn't really have a serious Codex.

Jain Zarr is still a 2nd Ed Model.

e: And Lillith is utter trash on the table.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 27, 2014

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

PeterWeller posted:

Shadowsun?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Oh yeah. I always forget that she is a she.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

PeterWeller posted:

The Masque of Slaanesh, unless one wants to say that doesn't count as 'named,' but that's being sort of pedantic.

It's still a pretty bad situation.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

HELLO, BOYS. :wink:

This is an authentic, limited edition model from Citadel.

Squifferific posted:

Without the turret on top, this looks much more battle-tractor like than the current Leman Russ tanks. I like it.

Pretty sure that's the Basilisk.

This isn't an equivalent to anything:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Post 9-11 User posted:

This isn't an equivalent to anything:

Um, counts as Taurox. Thanks!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Space Chimera?

owns owns owns

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah that's totally a count-as Chimera in my book. (Or at least that's what I'd use it as if I were to buy one of those kits.) Looks pretty cool.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Chimeras don't have side doors. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Or twin linked lascannons :smug:

I hope it costs 50 points so I can cram in a squad of space marines

• Locked thread