Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Wagon
Nov 25, 2009

Three heaping helpings of finger for you, sir.

Angrymog posted:

Try handfeeding her lumps of it? Or doing a mix of dry and wet in the same bowl - both techniques have worked with my cats when there's been a food change.

This seems to be the consensus, yeah! I'll definitely give it a go. (Handfeeding I might not, because she rarely takes things from my hand anyway- I usually have to put it down in front of her, or she'll pluck it from my fingers before she'll eat it. She'll lick my fingers, but she won't usually eat from them.)

Also, one more thing re: cat nutrition chat, I just registered what "...the cat is unable to cope with high concentrations of dietary carbohydrate. [The cat] also may have no fructokinase (Kienzle, 1994) and may be in a constant state of gluconeogenesis (Legrand-Defretin, 1994)" seems to be suggesting- I'm pretty sure gluconeogenesis is the process referred to above when we were discussing a cat's ability to produce glucose from non-carbohydrate sources (gluconeogenesis is a fancy word for the creation of glucose from proteins or fats) and the possibility that cats are in a constant state of gluconeogenesis means that the animal may not stop metabolizing non-carbohydrates as carbohydrates even with the addition of actual carbs. I know it's just a maybe rather than an absolute, but if that's the case- and if I've misunderstood something, please correct me! Some of us here have the maturity and sense to accept when we're wrong and internalize corrections :jerkbag:- then the addition of carbs to the diet of an animal that naturally produces its own regardless of circumstance is not only wholly unnecessary, but potentially harmful, considering that digesting them must ramp up their carb level considerably and not digesting them actually impacts the digestion of other nutrients.

If cats are in a constant state of gluconeogenesis (and again, I might have misunderstood something here!) then there's quite literally no benefit to adding carbs to their diet.

Edit: Oop, I didn't mean to bring this onto a new page. Sorry!

Finger Wagon fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

In two different cases (one due to renal failure, one due to psychological issues), I've had some luck getting cats to eat wet food by just putting a bit of it on/in the mouth. Seems the taste reminds the cat that Food Is Good, and they take it from there.

I've been feeding mine canned Wellness, which Amazon wants $23 or so for a case of 12 ounce cans. It's relatively low-carb, and goes over well with the beasts.

Some cats like to be petted when they eat. Is Princess one of those?

Finger Wagon
Nov 25, 2009

Three heaping helpings of finger for you, sir.

Gorgar posted:

In two different cases (one due to renal failure, one due to psychological issues), I've had some luck getting cats to eat wet food by just putting a bit of it on/in the mouth. Seems the taste reminds the cat that Food Is Good, and they take it from there.

I've been feeding mine canned Wellness, which Amazon wants $23 or so for a case of 12 ounce cans. It's relatively low-carb, and goes over well with the beasts.

Some cats like to be petted when they eat. Is Princess one of those?

Huh, I'll try it, might work.

Weirdly enough, it's pretty much the only time she doesn't want to be petted- it doesn't seem to bother her, but she sometimes makes disgruntled noises if I try. The rest of the time, however, she seems to be convinced that I have an obligation to spoil her with the entirety of my attention span. If I'm petting her with one hand, she'll actively seek out the other, and if I'm petting her with both but am not looking at her, she'll gradually stretch closer and closer to my face until I either look at her or she interrupts my line of sight.

What business do I have I looking at anything but her? :catbert:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

No, Deteriorata's right - there is no current, good, peer reviewed evidence that definitively shows that a significantly higher protein diet is better for a cat than a lower one (as long as amino acid profiles and digestibility are fine). There are individal studies looking at bits and pieces of things, but from those studies you cannot draw a conclusive without a doubt conclusion. To do that, there needs to be a lifetime nutrition study, and there is no one out there interested in paying for the research, thus it will probably not be done.

I would also highly suggest that in a topic as controversial as this to not rely on someone who has "just" a DVM - the board-certified nutritionists are the ones I listen to. So far, they continue to say there's no evidence, so that's what I say. It's like saying that because a vet told you to give Apis Mel to your dog for something then it means that it is totally right. Some vet nutritionists do prefer raw or high protein, but it is personal preference as opposed to without a doubt evidence.

From anecdotal evidence I personally recommend the higher protein diets, but if someone's feeding something else, I don't bother them about it unless it is unbalanced (including raw!).

Individual animals respond differently to different diets. The baseline is AAFCO balanced - after that, it's trial and error, imo. Some do just fine on 9 lives, some don't. Some do just fine on raw, some don't.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

HelloSailorSign posted:

No, Deteriorata's right - there is no current, good, peer reviewed evidence that definitively shows that a significantly higher protein diet is better for a cat than a lower one (as long as amino acid profiles and digestibility are fine).

Uh...but that's not what was said. Here is what launched this debate:

Deteriorata posted:

Buy what your cat likes. Any commercially available cat food will meet your cat's nutritional needs. Your cat does not care how much you paid for it. Unless your cat has specific medical issues that require a special diet, it doesn't really matter.

Basically he (?) is implying all cat food is the same.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Uh...but that's not what was said. Here is what launched this debate:

Basically he (?) is implying all cat food is the same.
No, I never said or implied "all cat food is the same."

Any cat food labeled "nutritionally complete" is going to be fine for your cat. Cats are individuals, however, and some formulations may sit better with them than others. Unless your cat has special dietary needs, there is no benefit in buying expensive high-protein or grain-free food. There is no evidence that it has any extra benefit to your cat at all, and you're largely wasting your money.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

No, I never said or implied "all cat food is the same."

You're right. You said that all cat food you buy from the store is the same.

quote:

Buy what your cat likes. Any commercially available cat food will meet your cat's nutritional needs. Your cat does not care how much you paid for it. Unless your cat has specific medical issues that require a special diet, it doesn't really matter.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Slimy Hog posted:

You're right. You said that all cat food you buy from the store is the same.

I have no idea why you are so determined to continue such semantic stupidity.

Your cats nutritional needs are what is constant. Cat food formulations can vary substantially, for a variety of reasons. Any one that that meets your cat's nutritional needs is suitable. Most of those differences don't actually make any difference to your cat. The varieties of cat food are therefore "equivalent" but not alike.

This is no different from you trying to claim that all automobiles are the same since any of them will get you to the grocery store.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Regarding food chat, I've read in various places that kittens should be fed dry food up until a year old. Is this actually a thing and the preferred kitten food is different from an adults then?

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Oxyclean posted:

I got a furminator for my cat because the cheapo brush I had wasn't really cutting it and holy poo poo, does this thing work well. I swear my cat has an endless supply of dead/loose fur.

Seconding this -- What a waste of time using my old brush was. This thing is incredible. Even if I do it every day the cats seem to have the same giant ball of loose fur at the end of the brushing session. As someone who lives in a carpeted home, this has been a life saver. The amount of pet hair on the floor has reduced by like over 90%. The furminator is worth every penny. poo poo I'd have paid 100 bucks for this thing knowing how well it works now.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Yeah, there is no study that really looks at that and can give us an answer, but cats have physiological adaptations that favour high protein diets. It's not like they'll die if you give them some carbs but meat-based proteins have a better amino acid profile and they're adapted for protein so why not give it to them.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have experience with cats being anxious about eating? That's the best way I can put it. One of my cats has developed an annoying habit of being a picky eater. I don't mean choosy about food, but she literally will pick at it. She takes a couple bites, then mews at me, circles the room a few times, maybe mouths another kibble, then jumps on the bed, then wants pets, then checks out a box, then circles the room, and on and on. I can get her to eat a little longer by petting her while she's at the food bowl, but after a couple mouthfuls she's back to circling again.

She's definitely hungry. She's excited around mealtimes and runs to the bowl. But when it comes time to actually eat she doesn't. I've tried different types of food, both wet and dry. She's not having any of it. I don't free feed, so I can't leave the food down for her forever because the other cats will eat it. Any ideas?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Octolady posted:

Regarding food chat, I've read in various places that kittens should be fed dry food up until a year old. Is this actually a thing and the preferred kitten food is different from an adults then?

Nope, not a real thing. A kitten, however (depending on age) should be fed more than twice a day. Dry food means you can leave it out, whereas you should probably not leave a pile of wet food to sit out over 8-10 hours.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

ATP5G1 posted:

Does anyone have experience with cats being anxious about eating? That's the best way I can put it. One of my cats has developed an annoying habit of being a picky eater. I don't mean choosy about food, but she literally will pick at it. She takes a couple bites, then mews at me, circles the room a few times, maybe mouths another kibble, then jumps on the bed, then wants pets, then checks out a box, then circles the room, and on and on. I can get her to eat a little longer by petting her while she's at the food bowl, but after a couple mouthfuls she's back to circling again.

She's definitely hungry. She's excited around mealtimes and runs to the bowl. But when it comes time to actually eat she doesn't. I've tried different types of food, both wet and dry. She's not having any of it. I don't free feed, so I can't leave the food down for her forever because the other cats will eat it. Any ideas?

If you're certain its not an issue of her wanting something different, it could be a sign she's poorly. My cat has done this sort of thing a bunch of times and usually I switch food brand and he's fine again.

But he's also acted like this when he had a minor dental problem, and recently when he had a gut blockage.

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

ATP5G1 posted:

My little fussy eater will do the same thing. I leave her bowl down until she finishes (one cat) or I feed her 4 times a day with two feeds within an hour or so of each other. She would take a mouthful, then play. I use to remove the bowl then put it back 15min or so later. This problem corrected itself a little when i got her desexed, she refused to eat much before the cut of time. By the time i took her to the vet she had missed 3-4 feeds in 12hours and was trying to eat kitty litter because she was so hungry. Now she mostly will eat in one sitting but not always.

Have you considered just putting down a couple of mouthfuls of food at a time? Some people suggest locking them in a room until they eat their food or removing the bowl at a set time.

Have you tried different types of foods?

or maybe she likes the attention she receives when you feed her?

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

HelloSailorSign posted:

Nope, not a real thing. A kitten, however (depending on age) should be fed more than twice a day. Dry food means you can leave it out, whereas you should probably not leave a pile of wet food to sit out over 8-10 hours.

Cool, I've been feeding small amounts of wet food about 4-5 times a day, he was fed on Whiskas before he came here so I didn't want to disrupt him too much. However it makes him fart loads and his poops stink to high heaven so I want to switch him asap.

Can any UK goons recommend good wet and dry cat foods? Most of the good brands mentioned in the nutrition megathread don't seem to be available here.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Octolady posted:

Cool, I've been feeding small amounts of wet food about 4-5 times a day, he was fed on Whiskas before he came here so I didn't want to disrupt him too much. However it makes him fart loads and his poops stink to high heaven so I want to switch him asap.

Can any UK goons recommend good wet and dry cat foods? Most of the good brands mentioned in the nutrition megathread don't seem to be available here.

I give my oldies Orijen dry food (or royal canine senior). Not cheap but they eat less of it and they really seem to like it - I definitely throw way less away as stale ends. My mother and I buy big bags on offer and split them, that way we keep our cats in fresh dry food but get the price discounts on bigger orders.

For wet food I rotate a mix of brands and flavours to try and stop them getting too picky but it boils down to what they will eat (if you're throwing large amounts away, they don't like it so move on but try them on it again later to be sure they dislike it rather than just got fed up with it). Mine like Felix: meaty loaf, good as it looks, marinades, jelly, Whiskas: oh so fishy, oh so meaty, jelly. Senior varieties where possible and I avoid anything with vegetables in it. This is pouches, tins seem to be too big for two cats and they do not like being served the same thing for dinner as they had for breakfast.

Occasional treats: tuna, prawns, ham, chicken. Mine love dreamies and felix goodies bags too.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

Octolady posted:

However it makes him fart loads and his poops stink to high heaven so I want to switch him asap.

This. I adopted a cat a few weeks ago and I was originally feeding him Purina but it made his poop smell incredibly bad and he farted a lot. So I abandoned that and I've been experimenting with a few higher end cat foods to see what he likes. So far it seems like Fromm is his preference. I don't know if it's better on some sort of objective scale, but it definitely keeps the apartment smelling a lot nicer.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

The blue bunny posted:

My little fussy eater will do the same thing. I leave her bowl down until she finishes (one cat) or I feed her 4 times a day with two feeds within an hour or so of each other. She would take a mouthful, then play. I use to remove the bowl then put it back 15min or so later. This problem corrected itself a little when i got her desexed, she refused to eat much before the cut of time. By the time i took her to the vet she had missed 3-4 feeds in 12hours and was trying to eat kitty litter because she was so hungry. Now she mostly will eat in one sitting but not always.

Have you considered just putting down a couple of mouthfuls of food at a time? Some people suggest locking them in a room until they eat their food or removing the bowl at a set time.

Have you tried different types of foods?

or maybe she likes the attention she receives when you feed her?

The problem is I work so I can't give her more than two feeds a day. I have tried two different types of dry food and two types of wet. I guess I will keep trying more wet and see if I can find some small dry bags. She normally prefers the dry.

She is always locked in a room when I feed her, since that's the only way to keep my Fatty Cat from eating her food. I also always pick the food up at a determined time, as again, Fatty Cat will eat it otherwise.

Gosh, I hope she doesn't have a dental problem or gut blockage. I'm dealing with that with another cat right now.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Mine are on Butchers Really Fishy and Really Meaty - it strikes a good balance between cheap and not being full of garbage; £3.85 for 6 cans, and it's just meat and some jelly, no filler. Butcher's Classic is a quid cheaper, but has large amounts of jelly in it. The Really... range seems a bit hard to find though - only one of the big Asdas in my area stock it.

Before that I fed them Natures:Menu, but Jess was never that keen on it, and then the recipe changed slightly and she refused to eat it at all. Daft mog. So instead of semi-premium stuff she now gets Butchers.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've switched from Purina One I think, to their new grain free naturals? The cat absolutely loves it. It's at target, which is good because my mom works there and gets a discount. It's ocean whitefish and egg, and I guess the flavor is a lot better than the other stuff, because she will go digging through the bag to feed herself, and she sure as hell wasn't doing that before. Our puppy is getting the dog version mixed in now that she's almost a year. She was just on regular purina puppy chow, because she has a bit of a sensitive stomach with food changes, so we just waited until it was about time to change foods anyway.

We also make our own wet food. Chicken or turkey legs, peas (or squash or carrots or whatever we have, mostly peas), and a tiny bit of tuna sometimes. We add rice to it for the dog. They get a bit of that once a day for breakfast. I know it's probably not nutritionally complete, but since it's more of a supplement than anything, I figure they're still getting what they need from the dry food.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
My vet told me that I should only really feed my cat two times per day so as to avoid feline diabetes. And to only feed him as much as he can eat in one sitting. Is this legit? I still give him treats and (safe) human food throughout the day but I just wanted to check. He's a roughly two year old tabby/street rescue and his name is pancake.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That looks like a well fed cat to me. I only feed my cats at mealtimes, both the same recommended amounts. Pudding is a model of a healthy cat. Cookie's somehow managed to become a big fatass, but he pretty much sleeps all day so that's no surprise.

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

ATP5G1 posted:

The problem is I work so I can't give her more than two feeds a day. I have tried two different types of dry food and two types of wet. I guess I will keep trying more wet and see if I can find some small dry bags. She normally prefers the dry.

She is always locked in a room when I feed her, since that's the only way to keep my Fatty Cat from eating her food. I also always pick the food up at a determined time, as again, Fatty Cat will eat it otherwise.

Gosh, I hope she doesn't have a dental problem or gut blockage. I'm dealing with that with another cat right now.

I hope the issue isn't a health related.

Have you consider a food timer thing? I know fatty still might eat the food.

Or if you are will to spend the money, make a cupboard (like the litter box ones) with one of those microchip pet doors so only thin cat can enter to eat the food.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
Well, today she decided to chow down. None of the picky behavior. I've been overfilling her bowl so she doesn't see the bottom and I think that helps too. I'm going to keep an eye on her.

Loot
Apr 3, 2013

119-242 Text Count
+59 Contribution Score
+5.9% Cold Resistance

6.7% chance of shitposting
Fires rockets instead of bullets!
I'm going to be moving tomorrow and it's about three hours, and I'm taking my two cats. Question is, should I get a second cage, or would it be possible for them to be in the same cage? They both fit in at the same time with a good amount of room including a water dish, and it'd be a bit easier for me since I'd be able to use the extra room for more boxes. Also wonder if that would help keep their stress down a bit since they'll be next to each other rather than separated and yelling at me every two seconds.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Avian Pneumonia posted:

My vet told me that I should only really feed my cat two times per day so as to avoid feline diabetes. And to only feed him as much as he can eat in one sitting. Is this legit? I still give him treats and (safe) human food throughout the day but I just wanted to check. He's a roughly two year old tabby/street rescue and his name is pancake.

Haven't heard about the number of feedings per day being linked with diabetes before, nor just feeding them what they eat at one sitting.

Basically, keep your cat skinny and it is less likely to get diabetes.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

It looks like I'll be adopting a kitty tomorrow!

So an old coworker of mine contacted me that he'd rescued a stray that I used to feed at my old work, after he saw her limping in the parking lot. He took her to his sister's vet office and got her all fixed up.

However, she's estimated to be 7 years old and is positive for FIV. She'll be indoor and I have no other cats so that isn't an issue.

I picked up a bit from googling, but I had trouble finding any decent sites.

I'll need to look out for weight loss, bleedy gums and general infections. Does anyone here have any experience dealing with kitty AIDs? I'm thinking maybe some diet stuff to help her keep a healthy weight?

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I'm not sure what to make of this, but would also like it if someone could answer. As my cat got older he started eating less at each sitting (so left more wastage) but would also beg me more throughout the day. My solution was to feed him the same overall amount per day, but give him 3-4 meals instead of 2, each with half the amount he used to have. Is still a bad way to feed a cat, even though he eats the same (or less) per day than before?

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Anybody have any suggestions on odor control?

Right now, I have my litter box kind of across from my bedroom door in a side of a linen closet that's empty. It's basically the only place in my little apartment to put it. As it stands, whenever one of the cats decides to poop, I get a nice heavy whiff of cat feces. This is usually worse from momma cat Sam because her poop smells much worse than her son's for whatever reason. She covers it well, spends like five minutes digging around, but it is still very stinky.

I use Precious Cat Ultra clumping litter and I scoop twice daily, occasionally more if the smelly poop is bad. I change and wash the whole box out monthly, which I just did a few days ago because I needed to add some more litter and didn't want to add more and then just throw it out in a week. Right now I'm using both Febreeze and a stick-on in the closet with the offending box.

Any suggestions other than just scooping after every poop? I'm feeding them the best food I can afford (Kirkland) so I'm not really looking to switch.

Oh and I forgot!

Does anybody have any recommendations for small, squishy plush or cloth toys that are indestructible? My guys are super hard on their toys and have eviscerated the last few I gave them after a few days.

Edit: Bloated tummy in cat. Been there over a week. Still eating great, pooping great, running around like a maniac. No pain. Probable worms/intestinal parasites?

Lava Lamp Goddess fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 29, 2014

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

It's fine as long as he's eating the same amount over the day. My vet recommends several small meals over 1 or 2 bigger ones, actually. I do 3 most of the time.

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam
tl;dr: question about FeLV+ cat.

I live alone in a small apartment in NYC; no (other) pets. Last week I volunteered to foster cats for one of the local rescues. Mid-week they emailed me that they had a cat; today was pickup day.

When I arrived they were in a bit of a tizzy: my foster had kittens about 2 months ago, and two of the kittens came back FeLV+. It turns out mama's positive, and somehow no one knew until today.

I don't have any other animals and she'll be staying strictly inside for as long as I'm fostering her, so I'm not worried about transmission right now. What I'm wondering is, if/when she's rotated out of my place, what's the procedure for making sure nothing gets transmitted to my next foster? I assume I should get rid of all toys, wash sheets, bleach litter box and food/water bowls, and give my apartment a wipedown with bleach/409/whatever. Is this sufficient? Overkill? I know FeLV is transmitted in saliva and other fluids, but can it be transmitted in week-old residues?

It's a drat shame about this cat's condition. She's less than a year old, a beautiful tuxedo, and super friendly. Poor thing. :negative:

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Daily Forecast posted:

edit: Also, I volunteer at an animal shelter, where we feed the cats Royal Canin dry food because that's what we have donated, and we can't afford to feed the cats anything that isn't free because there's a lot of cats. That food is fuckin' awful, triggering all sorts of allergic reactions, making cats itch themselves bloody, and just generally shed everywhere. After seeing all of this I will never, ever feed my cats Royal Canin.

Whoaaa I was under the impression that Royal Canin was the good poo poo. After reading through this whole debate, it's tough not knowing which brands I should be feeding my kitty. I mean, all I know for sure is that Whiskas is like fast food for cats. But other than that, what the heck? I mean, if Royal Canin ended up being lovely, I don't know what to believe...

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

bubblelubble posted:

Whoaaa I was under the impression that Royal Canin was the good poo poo. After reading through this whole debate, it's tough not knowing which brands I should be feeding my kitty. I mean, all I know for sure is that Whiskas is like fast food for cats. But other than that, what the heck? I mean, if Royal Canin ended up being lovely, I don't know what to believe...

It's hard to tell, vets or shops generally give their out of date stock to charities (ours gets such food donated too). Maybe his batch was just a little too out of date? Or stored wrongly by whoever handed it in? If it caused trouble with the cats health I would have sent samples to the manufacturer and asked what was going on - good way to score fresh free food. Beggars can't be choosers but if something actually causes health problems the maker will bend over backwards to fix it in order to avoid PR stories like that one.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

My cat Raja is a 6-year-old tabby. One of our nicknames for him was "scraggly-toothed kitty", because one of his fangs was longer than the other. For the past few weeks, he's been eating a bit less of his food (dry Blue Buffalo), which I chalked up to me changing from the Chicken variety to the Turkey variety. Then, a few days ago, I noticed that his long fang seemed a little discolored, like semi-translucent tan near the gum. This morning, Raja's scraggly-tooth was gone. I'm guessing with hindsight that he must have had tooth pain in his fang leading to the reduced appetite, and the discoloration I saw was the tooth dying. We'll be taking him to the vet this week to get checked out, but as he's my first cat, I figured I'd ask here: is a cat losing a tooth something that normally happens? Raja and Baxter (our other cat) have always gotten good marks on their teeth from the vet before, even though we don't regularly brush their teeth. Raja and Baxter like to wrestle, so maybe it got knocked out in one of their matches. Raja also likes to chew on hard things like laptops and brushes, so maybe he just bit down a little too hard sometime. Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that this is something that happens some time and not something I need to rush him to the e-vet for. Also, will he be able to eat dry food with the loss of his fang once he gets used to it being missing?

Klungar fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 29, 2014

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

kwantam posted:

tl;dr: question about FeLV+ cat.

FeLV only lives less than 48 hours outside a host. It also dies versus regular soap. It is a wuss outside the body.

Klungar posted:

is a cat losing a tooth something that mormally happens?

It happens a lot, but it is not normal. Periodontal disease, Feline Oral Resorptive Lesions, and less likely in your kitty's case, stomatitis, are processes that can be identified and dealt with, partially prevented, or managed, depending on what's going on and severity.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

HelloSailorSign posted:

It happens a lot, but it is not normal. Periodontal disease, Feline Oral Resorptive Lesions, and less likely in your kitty's case, stomatitis, are processes that can be identified and dealt with, partially prevented, or managed, depending on what's going on and severity.

Want to add that I'm pretty sure that cats only use their fangs when tearing apart food/killing stuff, so it shouldn't make it any harder to eat kibble and wet food. I know I had a cat who had half her canine break off at some point, she ate fine, and a dog that lost a canine, who also was fine after it healed up. So hopefully it shouldn't be a problem.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah they don't use their canines for much. I know a lot of cats who went through the clinic where my wife used to work with many teeth missing that still seemed to get by fine. They have more trouble eating with painful teeth than missing ones.

Also yeah one of our cats knocked an upper canine in half in a wrasslin match. Luckily she was going to the vet the next day anyway and they had time to just extract it at the end of the day.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
So, my partner's grandfather passed away recently and we might be getting his 7 year old outdoor male cat - the difference being that we live in an apartment. My family's cat moved from outdoor to indoor when we moved about a decade ago, but he was always pretty chill and wasn't an outdoor cat for his entire life, only a few years or so - the new cat, Charlie, has been outdoors almost his entire life to my knowledge. We know we'll have to take him to the vets straight away for vaccinations and claw clipping, and we're planning of keeping him confined to the bathroom for the first week or so - is there anything else that we need to do or is recommended?

I'm already planning two litterboxes around the apartment as well as putting up a few of our old moving boxes with blankets and towels in them so he has cozy, closed in places to chill.

We've also got a balcony as we're three stories from the ground - I'm of the mind that we shouldn't let him out on the balcony because I've seen how dumb cats can be, but my partner reckons that he'll be fine. Anyone got experience with that sort of stuff? I might get some bamboo fencing stuff to have out there anyway, and if his claws are clipped I want to say he won't be able to climb that - but once again, experience with dumb, stubborn and overconfident cats makes me a bit wary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
My ex-outdoor cat jumped off a 3rd story balcony a few weeks ago trying to catch a bird, cats are dumb.