Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

JuffoWup posted:

Well, since we have been doing random sim games of late:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/289930

Never heard of the dev or publisher before, but then again, until I heard of ets2, I hadn't heard of scs either. I'll wait for others to try it first on release day, but it looks like ets2 of the high seas. Kind of worried it doesn't have a price tag when the game is to be released in just a few days.

I swear I played this game before. On Amiga, in the early 90s. It's almost exactly the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

mackintosh posted:

I swear I played this game before. On Amiga, in the early 90s. It's almost exactly the same thing.

It does look a lot like a modern version of Ports of Call. The game that taught me S.O.S in morse code.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

AG3 posted:

It does look a lot like a modern version of Ports of Call. The game that taught me S.O.S in morse code.

That's the one! Thanks, I forgot what it was called :) Indeed, it looks almost exactly like Ports of Call. It would be an instant buy for me if that were the case. That was an awesome game that I had sunk a lot of hours (and poorly maintained ships) in. Still remember the thrill of manually steering a container ship with millions worth of cargo (that would save my company from impending doom) into port because the tugs were on strike. Ahh... Amiga gaming, those were the days.

mackintosh fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 22, 2014

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

JuffoWup posted:

Never heard of the dev or publisher before, but then again, until I heard of ets2, I hadn't heard of scs either. I'll wait for others to try it first on release day, but it looks like ets2 of the high seas. Kind of worried it doesn't have a price tag when the game is to be released in just a few days.

I wonder if it'll have realist paper work! Oh, the possibilities!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

SpannerX posted:

I wonder if it'll have realist paper work! Oh, the possibilities!

Remember, you cannot unload your cargo yourself or even drive to the dock or you'll be taking the jobs of the union away. It needs to be REAL.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
that does look pretty interesting, I'd like to hear if anyone here buys it thinks it's worth it

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Still no OSX native :(

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
It has built in Multi-player as well.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Don't know if it's anything to go by but looking at excalibur's website they have ATS scheduled for a February 20th release.

http://www.excalibur-publishing.com/games/american-truck-simulator/

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

SCS will probably self-publish on Steam, since Excalibur is probably for boxed copies of the game.

Also it's common for distributors to put release dates on games that aren't officially confirmed by the developer. Until SCS announces a release date, it's up in the air.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

JuffoWup posted:

Oh dear, this hits several of my autism buttons...

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I'm interested in the shipping game but I'm going to hold off and let some other suckers give it a go first.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

The Deadly Hume posted:

I'm interested in the shipping game but I'm going to hold off and let some other suckers give it a go first.

Yeah, I'd be really interested in any goon reviews of it. I put it on my wishlist for now.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I'm disappointed the trailer doesn't show any sailing on stormy seas. The world needs more sailing games. I loved the old Pirates of the Caribbean for that.

pmMike
Mar 6, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, I'd be really interested in any goon reviews of it. I put it on my wishlist for now.

An hour of playing it feels like 'Ship Parking Simulator 2014'

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

pmMike posted:

An hour of playing it feels like 'Ship Parking Simulator 2014'

This.

It's a cool game and all but it has its negatives that quickly spoil the experience.

First as pmMike mentioned, docking and undocking is tedious as hell and gets very old very quickly. Unfortunately you're essentially required to do it every time, since using a tugboat is $100K a pop -- so docking and undocking at any given port if you don't want to deal with the tedious docking mechanic is $200k. When you're starting out and your profit margins are very thin this isn't feasible.

Second, in the campaign your investor is essentially the villain. Every quarter she takes what seems like half of your cash and when you finally scrape up enough to rank up to the next size ship she saddles you with an impossible contract which requires you to ship an insane amount of goods to a specific port (including things that you can't even ship yet without ship upgrades that you can't buy) or lose $10M. Guess when this automatically kicks off? When you hit $10M in cash. Oh the best part? You have around a month to deliver everything. Twice. Twice I hit this point and this impossible burden combined with the investor taking her quarterly cut left me bankrupt. I would keep trying but the aforementioned docking mechanic saps my will to start over.

Third, the sailing mechanic isn't very deep. When your ships are sailing you'll get popups like "there's a storm a comin" and it asks you if you want to sail around it or sail through. I can't tell the difference between the two aside from the fact that sailing through practically destroys your ship. This is fine, but if a game is going to abstract this sort of thing but then require you to micromanage things like docking it seems a little schizophrenic.

Take these three things and it turns out to be a game that is profoundly unfun which is a shame because it's the first thing that really ruins it. Slashing towing fees would go a long way to making the game better.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

If this is an early access game, you should probably drop this note to the devs..
how they react to comments from consumers always helps understand if a game is worth buying.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Appreciate the review. Sounds like a miss for now - I may keep an eye on it for a Steam sale later or something.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

tater_salad posted:

If this is an early access game, you should probably drop this note to the devs..
how they react to comments from consumers always helps understand if a game is worth buying.

Speaking of, they responded to a similar review I put on Steam with essentially "learn to play" which is basically true as far as the campaign is concerned, but doesn't really touch on the whole docking tedium -- although they did correctly say that the fee becomes less of an issue as you pick up higher-value contracts.

I'll give it another go on free play. Hopefully I can get over the docking hurdle at the start.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Speaking of, they responded to a similar review I put on Steam with essentially "learn to play"

Seriously? You don't bash your customers telling them they suck and to learn to play your game.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

IAmTheRad posted:

Seriously? You don't bash your customers telling them they suck and to learn to play your game.

It wasn't so blunt as I made it seem on reflection. They compared it to a boss fight and how you "die" a few times learning the ropes. Makes sense but again the docking tedium saps my enthusiasm.

I'm not going to rake the devs over the coals. Some people are going to enjoy these aspects. They just weren't for me.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Somebody get SCS on this http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/if-apple-made-a-big-rig-itd-probably-look-like-this-me-1638759817

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Shame on transocean. Perhaps some dlc/updates will give it that little breath to get it really going. Thanks for the review though!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Somehow it looks like it belongs in a modern-day remake of Duel.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Goddamn this should be in ATS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTTgxqZqTaA&hd=1

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
That's the silliest-looking truck I've ever seen. Knowing Wal-Mart, I'm willing to bet it's just a cheap, scaled-up golf cart.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 28, 2014

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

The best part is realizing that the trailer is completely uneconomical. The first time some forklift driver bumps the walls is when walmart realizes a distinct issue with doing carbon fiber trailers.

That, or one night while parked, some enterprising people cut out a chunk to use as a replacement for the hood of their car.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
What we really need is an expansion containing Luigi Colani's ultra-fuel-efficient truck designs.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

from the funny pictures thread

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
would there be any way to mod in the ability to be a passenger? Sometimes I'd rather just be able to cruise along, listening to the radio and watching the scenery / traffic, instead of driving.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

triple clutcher posted:

would there be any way to mod in the ability to be a passenger? Sometimes I'd rather just be able to cruise along, listening to the radio and watching the scenery / traffic, instead of driving.

Fraught with "will he make it!?" moments when your driver throws the trailer down an offramp at 200.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

The rear end Stooge posted:

What we really need is an expansion containing Luigi Colani's ultra-fuel-efficient truck designs.

:barf:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I agree whole heartily. That... thing... is absolutely hideous.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I like it. Most of it, anyway. The 3-blade circular windshield wiper thing is neat.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
There is a hotfix released to ETS2MP which has enabled freeroam server with no collision and speed limiter. So go hog wild there where the only enemy are barriers and corners. I'm sticking to the wuss server with forced speed limiter and collisions. In the long run it might split the playerbase.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Truckageddon

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Rosoboronexport posted:

There is a hotfix released to ETS2MP which has enabled freeroam server with no collision and speed limiter. So go hog wild there where the only enemy are barriers and corners. I'm sticking to the wuss server with forced speed limiter and collisions. In the long run it might split the playerbase.

I want a happy medium of no forced speed limit but still collisions.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I like it. Most of it, anyway. The 3-blade circular windshield wiper thing is neat.

Yeah. Certain elements are pretty cool, the 3-blade rotary wiper and the way the windshield is forward enough you can look downward to see if your front end is about to clip something. I mean, overall it looks monstrous but there are parts of it that are awesome.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
If I recall last time that truck popped up in this thread, someone mentioned that even the wipers are awful. They don't spin completely around like you think they would. That was pretty much the only thing it had going for it. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

xergm posted:

If I recall last time that truck popped up in this thread, someone mentioned that even the wipers are awful. They don't spin completely around like you think they would. That was pretty much the only thing it had going for it. :smith:

Dumb Design Decisions ITT

• Locked thread