Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If you made a paper-mache plane out of hundred dollar notes you'd have an aircraft that is cheaper and more practical than the F35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

epipen posted:

probably not the place, but, i'm a huge plane nerd.
tldr the reason the F-111 can do a 'dump and burn' is its fuel dump outlet is positioned between the exhaust nozzles of its two engines, and fuel is dumped into the exhaust stream of the two engines, and when the afterburner is in use (fuel is injected behind the turbine), the flame will also light any fuel being dumped.
The F-18 and F/A-18 have the fuel dump outlet in the tip of the rudders (the two upright wings, basically), well above the exhaust nozzles, so the exhaust cannot light the dumped fuel.
The F-35, however, dumps fuel out of a valve mounted flush to the wings - the main wings. Well forward of the main engine, and near the inlets and outlets for the lift fan of the STOL/VTOL model. The fuel flows along the body of the jet and dissipates in its jetwash.
This is a problem. See, the F-35 could, in theory, perform a dump and burn. But the 'burn' would also ignite the aircraft.
:supaburn:
Lockheed appeared to have figured this out in 2012 and tried to fix it, idk what the fix is or whether it works, but, lol.

I dislike the F-35 with a passion but if it could do awesome F-111 style dump and burns then it is worth every penny. :colbert:

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

Phone posting, but this is a thing my friend wrote.

http://www.mamamia.com.au/social/australian-terror-threat/

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
And in unhappier news, here's a grub from Western Sydney Greens having a cry about the idea of local women coming together in solidarity for attacks on Muslim women:

quote:

Hello -Others-
I think absolutely not.
Rather than dumping on Western Sydney, how about the Greens playing a more constructive role for western Sydney by being more inclusive in their meetings, in their policy, in allocating reasonable resources for WSG groups to conduct election campaigns rather than the 5 seats favoured by the central Greens body and developing policy that will benefit western Sydney residents. How about not saying and writing things like this and think before you hit the send button "Is this right?" "Do I mean this?" "What are the consequences if we do this?" Many multicultural groups and Aborigines are discriminated against every day in various ways. Think you can be everywhere at once?
I feel you and others in the women's sub-committee should be more concerned about the Islamic fundamentalism being visited upon the women of northern Iraq and Syria by IS. I have yet to hear of a Greens leading light condemning them. Look forward to a response and we can go from there.
Yours in disbelief
-A Fuckwit-

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Josie posted:

Your friend is A Good Person.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Chiwie posted:

I dislike the F-35 with a passion but if it could do awesome F-111 style dump and burns then it is worth every penny. :colbert:

imagine this: :retrogames:.
imagine it's a plane.
imagine it crashing into the riverbank in the brisbane CBD, packed with brisbanites.

imagine :unsmith:

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Josie posted:

also this post is amazing. tell your friend she's amazing.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

And in unhappier news, here's a grub from Western Sydney Greens having a cry about the idea of local women coming together in solidarity for attacks on Muslim women:

I'm glad that i have faith that you and the rest of the WSG will shout this fuckwit down.
How dare people express support for a minority group that has been explicitly been targeted by the worst of our society with all of its force the past two weeks. How dare people focus on pertinent issues instead of ones they also care a great deal about but are currently less likely to get in the way of me and others like me being total human scum.

I hope leftist groups have plans to counter any attempts at a second cronulla :/

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I lived in St Lucia in an apartment with views of the city for a while, and without knowing about the event at all it was the coolest thing in the world (after I realised I was intentional and not a plane going down) to be sitting on my balcony and watch a fighter jet streak by and suddenly be followed by a wall of flame.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Orkin Mang posted:

i sometimes daydream about scott morrison burning up in an F-35 fireball

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Well I think after this page we're all definitely being watched more closely by ASIO

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

HookShot posted:

Well I think after this page we're all definitely being watched more closely by ASIO

at some point ASIO's role will become solely 'watch those fuckers in auspol, they give me the heebiejeebies'.
eventually every australian will be employed by ASIO for this sole purpose.

either that or they'll kill us all realise we're really just full of poo poo.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

epipen posted:

also this post is amazing. tell your friend she's amazing.

I'm glad that i have faith that you and the rest of the WSG will shout this fuckwit down.
How dare people express support for a minority group that has been explicitly been targeted by the worst of our society with all of its force the past two weeks. How dare people focus on pertinent issues instead of ones they also care a great deal about but are currently less likely to get in the way of me and others like me being total human scum.

I hope leftist groups have plans to counter any attempts at a second cronulla :/

Lack of action on climate change will fix Cronulla for us.

XMD 5a
Aug 28, 2011

money is flesh
THE ETHNIC LOBBY is the funniest phrase I've seen since THE WELFARE LOBBY.

I'm a card-carrying member of the Gay Ethnic Peppa "Feminazi" Pig Welfare Union myself.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I'd own an island paradise off centrelink and union payments if it weren't for the uncovering of our secret evil ethnic lobby.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

XMD 5a posted:

THE ETHNIC LOBBY is the funniest phrase I've seen since THE WELFARE LOBBY.

I'm a card-carrying member of the Gay Ethnic Peppa "Feminazi" Pig Welfare Union myself.

They're up against the coal lobby, the bank lobby, the christian lobby, the property lobby, the insurance lobby, the management lobby, the secret lobby, the death lobby and the control lobby. Well, maybe not the death lobby.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
let's not forget the lobby lobby

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ewe2 posted:

They're up against the coal lobby, the bank lobby, the christian lobby, the property lobby, the insurance lobby, the management lobby, the secret lobby, the death lobby and the control lobby. Well, maybe not the death lobby.

What about the Hobby Lobby? :v:

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

ewe2 posted:

Yeah, THE ETHNIC LOBBY is pretty clearly a not particularly clever reactionary attempting to co-opt the language of the left.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
Someone I thought was pretty left wing is perfectly happy with the News Ltd reporting on the JIHAD KILLER. Australia is a strange and mysterious place.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

i got banned posted:

Someone I thought was pretty left wing is perfectly happy with the News Ltd reporting on the JIHAD KILLER. Australia is a strange and mysterious place.

Nah, there are loads of faux-leftists who are also super-atheists who delight in anything anti-religion.

I know someone who calls himself a Marxist but then also hates the idea of letting people from :siren: ISLAMIC COUNTRIES :siren: into Australia because then we'll all be speaking muslim in ten years or whatever.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Endman posted:

Nah, there are loads of faux-leftists who are also super-atheists who delight in anything anti-religion.

I know someone who calls himself a Marxist but then also hates the idea of letting people from :siren: ISLAMIC COUNTRIES :siren: into Australia because then we'll all be speaking muslim in ten years or whatever.

i hate to tell you but your friend is dead.

rip chris hitchens :(

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Orkin Mang posted:

i hate to tell you but your friend is dead.

rip chris hitchens :(

No joke, he is/was a huge worshiper of Hitchens.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Are we playing No True Leftist?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Left 4 Dead

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Endman posted:

I met a dude just like this the other night, Hobart being what it is they're probably the same person.

Unless there's two, which is frightening and also likely.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i got banned posted:

What is their opinion on beards?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ThirdPartyView posted:

Those model railroad enthusiasts are as tough as the rail unions

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Endman posted:

No joke, he is/was a huge worshiper of Hitchens.

Has his instagram company taken off yet?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ThirdPartyView posted:

I'm more interested in the supports of the Amateur Sex Industry; The Hobby Gobbie Lobby. :downsrim:

Last leftist to leave Australia please chuck a lit match in as you close the door tia.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon

Matthew Beet posted:

What is their opinion on beards?

He has a beard so

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
The continuing saga of Fuckwit:

quote:

Hi all. Yes I agree largely with -Person- that it is a waste of time but again this thread was originated by the usual suspects who wish little more than to assert their moral superiority over the masses. I am offended by the implication that WS is the area which has the greatest instance of racial and religious vilification. Cronulla anyone? Central Coast/Northern Suburbs rail too? Sydney Buses? I am so offended I believe that the Organiser and WS organiser should relinquish her position immediately and not take another cent of Greens money. She and the women’s sub-committee have stigmatised inaccurately a large geographic region in the same way majority peoples feel about their ghettos, how Sydneysiders used to talk about Redfern or the British/Protestant Unionists feel about West Belfast. I will forward an additional communication further but as to -Quantum Mechanic- not knowing where to start I think the beginning is usually a good place and if the women's sub-committee had any breadth of insight about them (who are they, 2-3 people?) they would see that women in Iraq and Syria are being raped, enslaved, tortured and killed in large numbers. The fact that it is not up to me to dictate how they should conduct their affairs as a sub-committee is neither here nor there. If this group had any insight, decency and integrity about them they would come to this conclusion themselves and offer support to these unfortunate people persecuted by IS. I am prepared to offer support whatever to them that I can, short of military adventurism of course, and I don’t know why these people don’t feature in our discussions. I agree I went off on a tangent a bit but the matter raises multiple issues. I think IS and their supporters should be condemned by the Greens leadership in the strongest possible terms and called a terrorist organisation. We should be offering to support the groups in Iraq and Syria fighting IS who are most in danger of persecution and extermination and put that forward as an expression in policy similar to what we do regarding Palestine.

Getting back to the original request. I think if individuals want to play handmaiden they should do so on their own time and not on the Greens time or in the Greens name because that leaves the Greens open to all sorts of accusations.

I am fed up with people in the Greens having nothing constructive to say or offer to WS and more than a little fed up with people who as JFK said, use the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.

Rgds

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Western Sydney, a racism free zone.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

UK Government cuts off welfare for people under 22, Australians on Facebook comment...in support?

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Anidav posted:

UK Government cuts off welfare for people under 22, Australians on Facebook comment...in support?

are you serious? did that chucklefuck cameron actually do it?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yes, just announced.

quote:

Prime Minister also reveals plans in Sunday Times to ban people aged 18-21 from claiming Jobseeker's Allowance or Housing Benefit

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
Wait, announced? As in announced it as a policy or as in it passed and got the Lib Dems to vote for it? Because if so, lol, that'll be the last nail in their coffin.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
from an economic point of view that sounds like a stupid idea, moral stuff aside.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

epipen posted:

are you serious? did that chucklefuck cameron actually do it?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tory-plans-fresh-cap-benefits-4337017 posted:

Title - Tory plans for fresh cap on benefits and forcing unemployed young people into work

The Tories have set out plans for a fresh cap on benefits, reducing the total amount a household can claim from £26,000 to £23,000 a year.

Ahead of the Conservative party conference in Birmingham, Chancellor George Osborne said the new limit would fund millions of new apprenticeships if they win the general election in 2015.

He also announced that unemployed young people aged 18 to 21 would be given six months to find work or training - after which their dole payments would be withdrawn unless they agreed to take take part in "community projects" such as cleaning up local parks.

Most unemployed 18 to 21-year-olds would also be prevented from claiming housing benefit in order to leave home, under the Tory proposals.

Mr Osborne told the Mail on Sunday the changes would pay for 3 million apprenticeships over the lifetime of the next parliament.

He said: "Our mission is not just to save the pounds here and there, we're trying to change the welfare system so it doesn't trap people in poverty and a culture of dependency. It is a tragedy for them and a waste for the country."

"It is not acceptable for young people under the age of 21 to go straight from school on to benefits and into a home paid for through housing benefit - benefit funded by other people who are working.

"We are saying you will receive an allowance but if you can't find work after six months, you will have to work for the dole. They are difficult decisions but the right ones."

The Tories believe benefit cuts are popular with voters, but they are likely to be strongly criticised by anti-poverty campaigners.

The party has already tried to reduce the benefits cap in government but has been blocked by their Liberal Democrat coalition partners.

"Before our reforms, some families were receiving £100,000 a year in housing benefit. How many working people can afford rent of £100,000? It was a gross injustice. Since we imposed a cap, large numbers have looked for work," Mr Osborne said.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Because if so, lol, that'll be the last nail in their coffin.

:stare: You seriously believe that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If this is what the mothership conservative party is planning then WHAT IS OUR CONSERVATIVE PARTY PLANNING

• Locked thread