Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i've never seen the irl military version of :shobon: until now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
As time goes on I'm liking the Kurds more and more. They'll probably kick IS rear end with their Gilligan's Island Tank Made of Coconuts and Vines too.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Kurds are a good embittered minority for sure, but my heart will always be with the Basques.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

ahahahaha.. hahaha... gahahahahaha

Boehner calls for US ground war against Isis

weird how the slope.. gets slippier every day. makes u think

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk & Ugly posted:

speaking of lunatic terrorists im lovin this Reuters headline

berric dondarion fights for the one true god

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

SirEvelynTremble posted:

check out the funky homemade tanks the YPG Kurdish army is using against IS

my fave

Getting killed by a gay tank operated by women soldiers is a sure way to be sent to the eternal hellfire.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

THS posted:

Wait, he didn't say that?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Darth123123 posted:

Wait, he didn't say that?

in the article he says troops will be doing fighting on the ground and that if other nations cant step up “We have no choice. They intend to kill us. These are barbarians, if we don’t destroy them first we are going to pay the price."

this isnt full out invasion rhetoric yet but its hotter than it was a couple weeks ago

also were deploying 1600 troops now lmao

this is the very definition of mission creep

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
we have

no choice

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

THS posted:

in the article he says troops will be doing fighting on the ground and that if other nations cant step up “We have no choice. They intend to kill us. These are barbarians, if we don’t destroy them first we are going to pay the price."

this isnt full out invasion rhetoric yet but its hotter than it was a couple weeks ago

also were deploying 1600 troops now lmao

this is the very definition of mission creep

Gross.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
they drew first blood

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
there's no option those animals are basically lobbing grenades into an american playground we must commit to at least another 10 years of ground war in a worthless desert

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
Over $160 billion in contracts for 2014 http://www.bga-aeroweb.com/Top-100-Defense-Contractors-2014.html

You bet your rear end they're gonna find something to use up that equipment.

Not that I'll feel all that bad about wasting it on these fucks. But then again maybe they've found a better enemy than Messrs. Hussein and Ghadaffi could ever manage to be.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

and i thought the manipulation of public opinion through the media and war profiteering ended with the bush administration!!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

THS posted:

and i thought the manipulation of public opinion through the media and war profiteering ended with the bush administration!!

Obama was going to shut down the MIC but he had a latte of other things on his mind.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
They're remaking Desert Storm AGAIN?

Is this going to be a balls out Hollywood epic, or a straight to DVD war?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
i am all over the upper brass talking point about how this isn't a war of choice

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Miltank posted:

i am all over the upper brass talking point about how this isn't a war of choice

Eeeek! You forgot :911:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

THS posted:

Do you expect them to be satisfied with only killing foreign poors?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

lmao

quote:

The Pentagon announced on Sept. 25 that the Headquarters element of the 1st Infantry Division is now staged in Kuwait, under orders for a one-year deployment to Baghdad, Irbil and possibly other cities in Iraq. This is just the first of many future rotations.

Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno said of the deployment “The complexity of the environment that we have to operate in now, and probably the next 10 to 15 to 20 years, we need these headquarters.” With that, this general who built his career on the 2003 war, set the stage for people not even born yet to be sent to occupy Iraq.

The 1st Infantry Division, a tank unit, was also sent to Iraq as one of the advance elements prior to the U.S. ground invasion in March 2003. Their initial deployment was extended by six months to fight an armed uprising by the Iraqi people, completely unanticipated by the generals and politicians.

Around 500 regular Army soldiers (increased from 130 announced the day before, in true Washington fashion), will be leaving their families for 12 months to return to the site of the U.S. government’s most blood-drenched foreign policy disaster since the war on Vietnam.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

That's pretty convenient how people protested Syria and then Obama said Oh I guess we're not going into the middle east no mo' and then these Isis guys(some american) suddenly show up and scare everyone and Obama's all like Welp they really forced my hand guys, we going in

I mean I'm not into conspiracy theories but this is all awfully convenient, seeing as I've seen this 3 times in the last 3 decades (remember WMDs?)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Don Tacorleone posted:

That's pretty convenient how people protested Syria and then Obama said Oh I guess we're not going into the middle east no mo' and then these Isis guys(some american) suddenly show up and scare everyone and Obama's all like Welp they really forced my hand guys, we going in

I mean I'm not into conspiracy theories but this is all awfully convenient, seeing as I've seen this 3 times in the last 3 decades (remember WMDs?)

I also remember Dick Cheney going "I'm going to pretend I didn't see these reports on a lack of WMDs, and you are too if you enjoy ever working again." Who's Cheney in this situation? Biden isn't evil enough.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It's good to see the military industrial complex shiting itself over the idea they'd only be replacing planes and drones change policy so quick.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

I also remember Dick Cheney going "I'm going to pretend I didn't see these reports on a lack of WMDs, and you are too if you enjoy ever working again." Who's Cheney in this situation? Biden isn't evil enough.

Dick Cheney became "a bad guy" because people back then were actively fighting the US getting involved in WMD search

This time I don't know if anyone gives a poo poo anymore, everyone's all "Yeah, just airstrike the poo poo out of the east, just don't send me"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

Do you need your "bad guys" to all look cartoonishly evil?

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Don Tacorleone posted:

Yea because the Obama administration has been so incredibly eager to stick their dick back into Bush's failure.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
lol we are fighting people that literally cannot do anything but run around on the ground as we drop heavy ordinances on their heads and we still wanna send in ground troops

god forbid we engage in any military action that doesn't get americans killed

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

you irl posted:

lol we are fighting people that literally cannot do anything but run around on the ground as we drop heavy ordinances on their heads

Indisputably true, and yet amazingly the present intervention will still result in a costly failure.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

you irl posted:

lol we are fighting people that literally cannot do anything but run around on the ground as we drop heavy ordinances on their heads and we still wanna send in ground troops

god forbid we engage in any military action that doesn't get americans killed

If you could kill poors and blame it on a black guy wouldn't you?

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

Agag posted:

Indisputably true, and yet amazingly the present intervention will still result in a costly failure.

it was amazing the first time, by this point its just another monday

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Vernii posted:

Yea because the Obama administration has been so incredibly eager to stick their dick back into Bush's failure.

And yet here they go again on their own
Going down the only road they've ever known

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vernii posted:

Basically it's a barrel filled with hot tar and sand, so it's basically really inviting for a dick.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

The Pentagon announced on Sept. 25 that the Headquarters element of the 1st Infantry Division is now staged in Kuwait, under orders for a one-year deployment to Baghdad, Irbil and possibly other cities in Iraq. This is just the first of many future rotations.

Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno said of the deployment “The complexity of the environment that we have to operate in now, and probably the next 10 to 15 to 20 years, we need these headquarters.” With that, this general who built his career on the 2003 war, set the stage for people not even born yet to be sent to occupy Iraq.

The 1st Infantry Division, a tank unit, was also sent to Iraq as one of the advance elements prior to the U.S. ground invasion in March 2003. Their initial deployment was extended by six months to fight an armed uprising by the Iraqi people, completely unanticipated by the generals and politicians.

Around 500 regular Army soldiers (increased from 130 announced the day before, in true Washington fashion), will be leaving their families for 12 months to return to the site of the U.S. government’s most blood-drenched foreign policy disaster since the war on Vietnam.

we've always been at war with Eastasia

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet
lets drop 35 billion dollars?

are you sure?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vernii posted:

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/29/world/meast/isis-syria-iraq-strikes/

According to a new CNN/ORC International poll, 73% percent of Americans support the U.S.-led coalition of airstrikes in Iraq and Syria -- and most believe ISIS poses some level of threat to the United States.

But a majority 60% also oppose sending ground troops in the fight.

Even though Obama has said he will not put combat troops in the region, the United States does have military advisers on the ground training and helping the Iraqi army strategically as it battles ISIS.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

etalian posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/29/world/meast/isis-syria-iraq-strikes/

According to a new CNN/ORC International poll, 73% percent of Americans support the U.S.-led coalition of airstrikes in Iraq and Syria -- and most believe ISIS poses some level of threat to the United States.

But a majority 60% also oppose sending ground troops in the fight.

Even though Obama has said he will not put combat troops in the region, the United States does have military advisers on the ground training and helping the Iraqi army strategically as it battles ISIS.

The neo-Iraqi army is just like the Iranian nuclear program: always six months away from being operational. For the last ten years.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
nuke everything

just loving do it you pussies

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet

VikingSkull posted:

nuke everything

just loving do it you pussies

spear war

we attack each other with spears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah, ISIS is like what, 50k members or something?? Totally worth nuking the other 54 million peoples in Iraq and Syria to get rid of them

It's the only way to make sure

• Locked thread