Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lotish posted:

There's a class of special abilities that use Focus, and I believe earlier they said there is a regeneration power that uses Focus instead of mana as an "oh poo poo" kind of thing. That may have been the aforementioned revive, though, because it was super unclear.

Personally, I'm entirely for it so far. We saw there are plenty of ways to avoid getting hurt, and you're supposed to set up camps to recuperate and replenish your potions during exploration. They also mentioned that you can equip specialty potions (like elf root regeneration, I believe was an example Laidlaw used) to individual characters as part of their loadout. So really with proper preparation you should be able to handle it just fine.

That reminds me of something Cameron said in an interview the other day: Apparently, since the game continues after you beat the final boss, there is some content that even completionists will find difficult even at max level (max level being whatever level you are after you've driven literally everything else in the world to extinction, because they say there is no set limit).

You raise a good point. It does seem to be trying to drill into the player's head that they should stop treating this like the previous games and avoid taking damage at all rather than the traditional "set Warrior to get punched in the face, have mage heal from brink of death, repeat until enemies are no more". All and all, a much more interesting system that rewards the player for actually thinking their actions through.

That new about the post-game content gets my attention as well. It's nice to have some big areas to explore at will even after the big bad evil guy is dead.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Well I've been playing Dark Souls so I already have experience in avoiding damage and chugging what few health potions I have when I do take damage. There's even an evade roll move, right?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Geostomp posted:

You raise a good point. It does seem to be trying to drill into the player's head that they should stop treating this like the previous games and avoid taking damage at all rather than the traditional "set Warrior to get punched in the face, have mage heal from brink of death, repeat until enemies are no more". All and all, a much more interesting system that rewards the player for actually thinking their actions through.
You can do that with healing spells by limiting resources, either in terms of cooldowns / casts or in terms of mana.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think what worries me about this whole "no healing between fights" thing is watching out for the NPC companions. It's all well and good if you can block and roll and evade damage, but if the AI is too dumb to avoid getting hit, will that be a big drain on your potion stock?

I'll wait and see how it plays out when the game is released, of course, but it does concern me.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
drat I forgot to ask them to make Danny DeVito

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think what worries me about this whole "no healing between fights" thing is watching out for the NPC companions. It's all well and good if you can block and roll and evade damage, but if the AI is too dumb to avoid getting hit, will that be a big drain on your potion stock?

I'll wait and see how it plays out when the game is released, of course, but it does concern me.

DA has always had the tactics system for a reason, whether it will be automatic or still customizable is the question.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SgtSteel91 posted:

Well I've been playing Dark Souls so I already have experience in avoiding damage and chugging what few health potions I have when I do take damage. There's even an evade roll move, right?

I've seen rogues and warriors both use rolls, so I would imagine yes. Also they mentioned that rogues have other tricks for avoiding a hit; Varric used a back-step ability to get away from an attacker. I imagine that Vivienne's Blink spell, shown in the stream, is pretty much meant as a get away button, though Cam did an excellent job of nearly throwing her off a cliff in the process.

Thor-Stryker posted:

DA has always had the tactics system for a reason, whether it will be automatic or still customizable is the question.

They have been stressing in a few interviews lately that the AI will try to use the abilities you give them to the best of their ability to minimize your micro-management concerns. Cass didn't seem very good at blocking when she needed to during the stream, though. It's a reasonable concern, but maybe Cam hadn't set up her tactics very well? Laidlaw did make fun of him for not playing very smart.

Biggest thing for me is that having facial hair beyond stubble doesn't lock you in to a really sunken cheek and jaw setting.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You can do that with healing spells by limiting resources, either in terms of cooldowns / casts or in terms of mana.

True, which is what I suspect they were going for in DAII, but that just leads to complaints about your healer being next to useless and potions having such ridiculous cooldowns that you couldn't depend on them. In some ways, no ability is better than sub-par ability.

Ainsley McTree posted:

We can only hope for some improved AI. At least making them smart enough to move away from something hurting them without prompting instead of happily standing in the death field. You playing smart doesn't help if the rest of your crew is incapable of doing the same without being babysat.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'd have to watch the video again, but I think you can physically go to a knocked out NPC and revive them ME3 style. They didn't do it in the stream, but I could have sworn I saw a pop up after Cassandra went down the first time that said Cam could have revived her. That would take some pressure off if you pick up NPCs that got dumb while you weren't controlling them. Anyone who played Dragon's Dogma would be an old hand at that.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Geostomp posted:

True, which is what I suspect they were going for in DAII, but that just leads to complaints about your healer being next to useless and potions having such ridiculous cooldowns that you couldn't depend on them. In some ways, no ability is better than sub-par ability.

We can only hope for some improved AI. At least making them smart enough to move away from something hurting them without prompting instead of happily standing in the death field. You playing smart doesn't help if the rest of your crew is incapable of doing the same without being babysat.

One of my favorite* parts of DA:O was when fighting the undead in redcliffe, if you managed to get the barrels of oil, watching your party members RUSH INTO A GODDAMN WALL OF FIRE. I always make sure not to get the oil on all subsequent playthroughs.

*and by favorite I meant most annoying

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Geostomp posted:

I think the class mechanics in DA2 weren't bad, it was just that the fight design was terrible and didn't complement the mechanics properly.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you can just breeze through the game without using proper tactics on easy, I'm fine with it. But on higher difficulties, and especially the highest, you should use proper tactics and control of your allies. That's why I liked DA:O, the game was about party tactics, not just your hero with automated henchmen (although the tactics menu did automate a few things).

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Batham posted:

If you can just breeze through the game without using proper tactics on easy, I'm fine with it. But on higher difficulties, and especially the highest, you should use proper tactics and control of your allies. That's why I liked DA:O, the game was about party tactics, not just your hero with automated henchmen (although the tactics menu did automate a few things).

At this point I wish DA:O was never made so I could not feel bad about what they turned the series into.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

hangedman1984 posted:

One of my favorite* parts of DA:O was when fighting the undead in redcliffe, if you managed to get the barrels of oil, watching your party members RUSH INTO A GODDAMN WALL OF FIRE. I always make sure not to get the oil on all subsequent playthroughs.

*and by favorite I meant most annoying
That is what the H button is for.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Yeah, you could also easily disable the AI so they would stay put. I'd rather not have AI take charge of when my units should or shouldn't move out of harms way. No matter how sophisticated they would make the AI, it'll make calls different from yours just like another person sitting besides you would.

Yes, it sucks that your units ran straight through a line of fire during the siege of Redcliffe, but in other situations that might be exactly what you'd want them to do. The game also gives you more than enough ways to stop your units from running through the fire. It might require a bit more direct control, but it isn't as much of a hassle as some make it out to be. Again, the roots of this series wasn't a single hero game, but a party based system. Sure, that requires a bit more micromanagement but that isn't a flaw of the system. It's simply how party based games are.

Dislike it if you want, but don't call it bad gameplay. It's simply gameplay that you don't like.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Stroop There It Is posted:

That is what the H button is for.
The player has no control over the villagers and they will cheerfully run into the fire.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Raygereio posted:

The player has no control over the villagers and they will cheerfully run into the fire.

He was specifically talking about his partymembers but, in regards to your statement, the friendly NPC's that help you won't even have time to run into the oil if you position your party correctly and if they aren't vastly under-leveled (which, if I recall correctly, was the biggest reason why most people struggled with that specific fight).

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Batham posted:

He was specifically talking about his partymembers
I was just giving the real reason why you shouldn't use those oil barrels in the fight. Positioning your party won't help you: the villagers will run into that damned fire.
Being underleveled for Redcliffe also wasn't really a thing. The "intended" order was to do the Circle Tower first and Redcliffe second, but doing it first was perfectly doable.

That said, it's true that one of the reasons why some people complained DA:O was too difficult was because they weren't playing it as a party based game and instead just controlled their main character and let their party run around with the default tactics setups (which were all utterly garbage to the point of absurdity).

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I have never seen the Redcliff NPCs run into the fire. Besides, who cares if they do? They're not exactly a great help.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I was pretty sure Redcliffe was the first spot you were meant to go; Alistair and the others refer to it the most, and it's got the lowest scaling enemies.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I have never seen the Redcliff NPCs run into the fire. Besides, who cares if they do? They're not exactly a great help.

Don't you get various rewards if you keep them all alive?

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't think so, the killable ones just thank you and disappear afterwards, once you talk to them.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I was pretty sure Redcliffe was the first spot you were meant to go; Alistair and the others refer to it the most, and it's got the lowest scaling enemies.

You get a piece of armour and a slightly different speech at the end IIRC if you manage to keep everyone alive.

MILF destroyer
Feb 6, 2014
I gave up and completely disabled tactics because even after something simple like 'if your health is <25% drink potion' you realise that you can't add a caveat like 'but ignore this if the fight has just finished'. I remember trying to make use of Morrigans spider shift by saying 'if health is below x then become spider' but of course she would change every time she revived after falling in battle and her health was regenerating.
I'm not expecting any improvement in Inquisition because although they have a lot of ways to pretend otherwise, computers are really stupid.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I used to think the siege of Redcliffe was balls hard because it took almost two hours to finish the first time I played, but then I learned that was because I had a bug that made zombies spawn indefinitely. There wasn't much left by the end. Going back later, patched and usually higher level, it's been pretty much cake.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

The worst thing about Redcliff fight is keeping that fatso Lloyd alive. Motherfucker constantly charges with that rusty knife of his and no armor, you'll need to constantly babysit him if you want that helmet and a ring.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Couldn't watch the live feed. Do they have that long list of numbers like they had in ME2/ME3 so you could easily recreate characters other people created?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Furism posted:

Couldn't watch the live feed. Do they have that long list of numbers like they had in ME2/ME3 so you could easily recreate characters other people created?

No. But they said they would try to add it in an update.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I got around to watching it, and one of my favorite tweeks was being able to not only pick the scars you want, but the move them around so that you can place that certain pattern wherever you wanted.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Those face code sequences would have to be super involved or complicated. You have like a thousand and one ways just to tweak the Adam's apple.

I do still want the feature, though. I am most looking forward to the monstrosities goons are going to make with the character creator.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

marktheando posted:

No. But they said they would try to add it in an update.

Cool. Although on PC I guess they could just make it easy to export/copy character files to pass around. I really want my Inquisitor to be Christopher Walken.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Furism posted:

Cool. Although on PC I guess they could just make it easy to export/copy character files to pass around. I really want my Inquisitor to be Christopher Walken.

They said they might make it part of the keep.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Didn't they say that there will be respawns in areas? I was wondering how long before bad comes wander over after you've cleared an area, since I'd like to just let the game run and go grab a sandwich or something while I let everyone regain their health.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
The no healing thing seems fine given every class seems to have either a way to generate temporary HP on a trigger or put up complete damage block barriers.

I do have concerns about both though, in terms of the enemy having access to them, and the way they've been talking up the difficulty, but that's still wait and see. It just generally worries me when devs start touting their game as hard, since that usually suggests that they're in full-on rear end in a top hat GM mode, which isn't always fun difficulty, especially not in a more tactical game.

Enemies having healing was fine, since you had methods to stop it either via burst DPS or disabling, so hopefully they let you have something to instant destroy no-damage barriers as well. And hopefully they've balanced out the temp HP triggers so enemies can't just all the HP suddenly. Obviously stuff like that goes both ways.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Decus posted:

The no healing thing seems fine given every class seems to have either a way to generate temporary HP on a trigger or put up complete damage block barriers.

I do have concerns about both though, in terms of the enemy having access to them, and the way they've been talking up the difficulty, but that's still wait and see. It just generally worries me when devs start touting their game as hard, since that usually suggests that they're in full-on rear end in a top hat GM mode, which isn't always fun difficulty, especially not in a more tactical game.

Enemies having healing was fine, since you had methods to stop it either via burst DPS or disabling, so hopefully they let you have something to instant destroy no-damage barriers as well. And hopefully they've balanced out the temp HP triggers so enemies can't just all the HP suddenly. Obviously stuff like that goes both ways.

Yeah, I hope you at least have the option to make it not so hard. I've still never played dark souls and don't really plan to because one of the key selling points seems to be "this game is super hard and you're gonna die a whole lot" and that just isn't fun to me.

Hopefully this game has an easy mode (the others all did, so I'm confident this probably will), and hopefully you won't have to babysit your party too hard to keep them from quaffing all your potions.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, I hope you at least have the option to make it not so hard. I've still never played dark souls and don't really plan to because one of the key selling points seems to be "this game is super hard and you're gonna die a whole lot" and that just isn't fun to me.

Hopefully this game has an easy mode (the others all did, so I'm confident this probably will), and hopefully you won't have to babysit your party too hard to keep them from quaffing all your potions.

They confirmed it has a casual mode in the twitch stream. Apparently it won't be a full cakewalk but their balance focus for that mode was "you can just control one character in active mode the entire time and have fun".

I'm more worried about how they balance their higher end difficulties, really, since DA2 nightmare was kind of on the boring slog side of things compared to DA:O.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

While we're still on the subject of healing (or the lack thereof), I do like the idea of setting up temporary bases in these huge wildernesses. Big areas in the previous games were kind of a slog with enemies everywhere that slowly ate up your stockpile of items while your precious slots filled with random junk loot. It was worse for those when your teammates were revived with injuries or health penalties that forced you to use items to remove.

It's nice to be able to pick multiple areas to sit down and restock, dump/sell off garbage, and access your stockpile for any gear that could be put to better use. Way less annoying than having to constantly dump items or break up adventuring for the long trek back to home base. I was kind of expecting something like it in Origins instead of your campsite that appeared to exist in some bizarre void of eternal night. Games like Dragon's Dogma could really benefit from that kind of system as well.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I'm glad for fast travel from camps, too. People complain about the Deep Roads from DA:O, but at least those are usually a single large map that connect to the map screen--you can click to go to Orzammar from the Ortan Thaig or the Aeducan Thaig or even the Anvil of the Void itself. In the Brecillian forest you have to wander through all the maps to get where you want to go for some quests, and the place is just tedious to navigate. If you want to dump your bags because you're out of inventory space, I hope you like marching all the way back. I'll be glad if I never have to do that kind of thing again. I like exploring to get to a place just fine, but once I know how to get there I'm just as happy not having to worry about how I get back.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
RPG's should just stop giving the player literal junk just to force them to do inventory juggling. Its a dumb mechanic that serves no purpose but to annoy the player. Just give me the money immediately. Or allow me to send Dog to a town to sell stuff on a cooldown, Torchlight-style.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

That's why I like limited inventory space, you're forced to only haul what's really valuable and ignore the junk. Unlimited inventory space usually leads to an enormous bloated mess and an ingame economy that's balanced around picking up everything that isn't nailed to the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Batham posted:

That's why I like limited inventory space, you're forced to only haul what's really valuable and ignore the junk. Unlimited inventory space usually leads to an enormous bloated mess and an ingame economy that's balanced around picking up everything that isn't nailed to the floor.
A limited inventory doesn't fix that. Players will still pick up everything and will end up make multiple trips back to the nearest merchant. Making a system that's already annoying, more annoying.

• Locked thread