Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
I loved the original ultima underworld in that it put you in an environment where you had to scavenge or trade for the items you used, and that it was a long dungeon crawl where you had little interaction with friendly NPC's. Are there any other games like that? I've played both ultima underworlds as well as Arx Fatalis. I also loved both dark souls games. Elligable platforms are PS2, PC, and original Xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

For number one, Planet Explorers might scratch some of that itch. Check it out.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm looking for some game recommendations for my wife, who has never really played games but expressed some interesting in trying them out recently. Her skill level atm is probably below Arino's (based on the few games we have played together) so keep that in mind.

They could be anything I could emulate on a PC or from Steam. Something we could play together would be great as well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'm looking for some game recommendations for my wife, who has never really played games but expressed some interesting in trying them out recently. Her skill level atm is probably below Arino's (based on the few games we have played together) so keep that in mind.

They could be anything I could emulate on a PC or from Steam. Something we could play together would be great as well.

LEGO games are good split-screen co-op.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I can't imagine a better starting point than LEGO games honestly. Unless she just hates LEGOs.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I would like to play an ARPG that,
- Features character customisation; choosing hair, head, and gender is enough.
- Has a charge (as in run real fast at an enemy and hit it) attack that does not require me to use a shield and that has a reasonable cooldown.
- Is fun and isn't obtuse to build characters in (e.g. Torchlight 2 engineers can do the above, but to get one that works well is beyond me. It seems to me that you should put points into strength to wield big two-handers, but damage just peters out pretty quick if I do that).

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Marvel Heroes has such charge attacks. You can customize costume, so maybe that's not enough.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Funktor posted:

Marvel Heroes has such charge attacks. You can customize costume, so maybe that's not enough.

Marvel heroes meets all but the first requirement. You can do diddly with your characters appearance besides buy a costume which is an all or nothing type of thing. So yeah you can make hawkeye a girl, but it'll cost 15 dollars and will have one specific appearance.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I fiddled around a little with Marvel Heroes a couple of months ago, but I am not happy with their network solution, I kept warping. Also paying for character customisation seems like bullshit.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I can't imagine a better starting point than LEGO games honestly. Unless she just hates LEGOs.

Good point. She's from Peru and I'm pretty sure she didn't have Lego growing up but they are pretty simple/fun games. Do the PC versions have split screen coop?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I need a game recommendation for a friend of mine. Her boyfriend of seven years proposed to her, and then the next day she found out that he was married and lied about literally everything to her, constructing a completely false life. So she's kinda depressed so a few of her friends and I figure that something interactive might do her well. She's expressed interest in some MMOs and likes playing healer type characters, but has a pretty lovely computer so it cannot be remotely graphically intensive.

The tricky bit comes into the fact that she's permanently disabled and can't move her hands much. So it'd have to be something where she just has to press a few hotkeys or buttons or something and not move her hands around a ton. Is there anything out there that would work for that? Or even just generally accessibility friendly games.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

what the poo poo that sucks

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

The Iron Rose posted:

So I need a game recommendation for a friend of mine. Her boyfriend of seven years proposed to her, and then the next day she found out that he was married and lied about literally everything to her, constructing a completely false life. So she's kinda depressed so a few of her friends and I figure that something interactive might do her well. She's expressed interest in some MMOs and likes playing healer type characters, but has a pretty lovely computer so it cannot be remotely graphically intensive.

The tricky bit comes into the fact that she's permanently disabled and can't move her hands much. So it'd have to be something where she just has to press a few hotkeys or buttons or something and not move her hands around a ton. Is there anything out there that would work for that? Or even just generally accessibility friendly games.

I know this is going to sound like a weird recommendation but have you considered rigging her computer up to interpret joystick movements as mouse movements and giving her a 360 controller? She could then play the ever loving crap out of some point and click adventure games. I recommend Return to Zork.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Skunkrocker posted:

I know this is going to sound like a weird recommendation but have you considered rigging her computer up to interpret joystick movements as mouse movements and giving her a 360 controller? She could then play the ever loving crap out of some point and click adventure games. I recommend Return to Zork.

I'm not sure if a controller would be too painful for her or not, but I'll check and see.

Obviously price isn't exactly a huge object here, though ofc the cheaper the better.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
I know this is kind of a niche that really isn't filled well recently but after playing through Shovel Knight (Which I highly recommend!) I was wondering if anyone could recommend any other good PC platformers? Iv'e got a gamepad I bought for cheap off of a friend and i'm gonna make sure it sees plenty of use.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think Ducktales Remastered is pretty cool. I've heard good things about Castle of Illusion HD as well but I havent played that.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Rogue Legacy is pretty decent as well.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think Ducktales Remastered is pretty cool. I've heard good things about Castle of Illusion HD as well but I havent played that.

Those are on the PC? Whoa. I thought they were console only games.

Angry Lobster posted:

Rogue Legacy is pretty decent as well.

Already got it, it was a rage-inducing blast.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

OrangeSoda posted:

Those are on the PC? Whoa. I thought they were console only games.

Already got it, it was a rage-inducing blast.

Then Super Meat Boy if you don't have it already, it's super difficult though. Also, Volgarr The Viking for some old school platforming.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 30, 2014

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Nordick posted:

I feel obligated to give the usual Alpha Protocol recommendation again, it must've been at least a couple pages since someone last mentioned it. :v:

Granted, the "freedom" part just boils down to doing the missions in a different order, but boy howdy does it compensate with having the most branching and variable plot. Depending on what you do and how you act, you can end up having totally different allies and enemies on different playthroughs. The game doesn't force you into any certain playstyle either. You can just as well be a smooth stealthy spy or a shotgun blasting sociopath, it won't screw you out of XP or rewards or anything.
You won't have the time to really think over all your choices every time since dialogue has a time limit, but in the end the game is better off for it. Having to just go on instinct instead of mulling and agonising over each option makes the dialogue feel a lot more fluid, and just going with the flow and rolling with the punches is actually fun.

So in summary, Alpha Protocol might not have freedom of exploration but it has freedom of action in spades. Get it.

I have to second this. This game was panned by reviewers when it was released, but looking back despite the games very limited short falls, Alpha Protocol was the most satisfying cRPG (and by this I mean any video game rpg) since Knights of The Old Republic.

It might have even been better, and I say this as a huge Star Wars grognard and hater of spy fiction.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm looking for a turn-based strategy game with fixed starting armies -- no income or unit production -- with two-person, asynchronous multiplayer (i.e. upload turn files to a central server or play by email -- both people don't have to be connected at once.)

I was thinking of picking up Elven Legacy, but it looks like it only has hotseat multiplayer. Something similar would be great, though.

I am assuming PC? How do you feel about historical "hardcore" war gaming? If you're open to that I can think of a dozen titles you might want to look at depending on your preference.

Check out Matrix. They're probably the largest online publisher/digital distributor of war games for PC out there. They have hundreds of titles with varying degrees of complexity, and you can search titles by the historical time period you're in to.

Or you can give me some more info, like are you willing to play historical games? More interest in strategy or tactics? What time period? Etc. and I can recommend something.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ZombieLenin posted:

I am assuming PC? How do you feel about historical "hardcore" war gaming? If you're open to that I can think of a dozen titles you might want to look at depending on your preference.

Check out Matrix. They're probably the largest online publisher/digital distributor of war games for PC out there. They have hundreds of titles with varying degrees of complexity, and you can search titles by the historical time period you're in to.

Or you can give me some more info, like are you willing to play historical games? More interest in strategy or tactics? What time period? Etc. and I can recommend something.

I've got nothing against historical wargaming in theory, but I'm a very stubborn ludist. I hate games where design decisions were made with realism or simulation in mind rather than balance and depth.

I'm more interested in tactics than strategy, prefer something that's mostly about positioning with a little bit of math to something with a lot of math and only a little emphasis on positioning, fantasy/sci-fi settings preferred but ultimately doesn't matter, and it'd really help sell it to my friend if it were visually interesting. (But tell me even if it isn't because I might play it anyways.)

Something with a small number of unique and complicated units would be best -- we tried Aerena but the F2P model was too offensive to stick with it, and I'm looking forward to Duelyst. Frozen Cortex was a great suggestion, but something that plays on a grid would be even better.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 1, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

OrangeSoda posted:

I know this is kind of a niche that really isn't filled well recently but after playing through Shovel Knight (Which I highly recommend!) I was wondering if anyone could recommend any other good PC platformers? Iv'e got a gamepad I bought for cheap off of a friend and i'm gonna make sure it sees plenty of use.

Guacamelee is fantastic!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've got nothing against historical wargaming in theory, but I'm a very stubborn ludist. I hate games where design decisions were made with realism or simulation in mind rather than balance and depth.

I'm more interested in tactics than strategy, prefer something that's mostly about positioning with a little bit of math to something with a lot of math and only a little emphasis on positioning, fantasy/sci-fi settings preferred but ultimately doesn't matter, and it'd really help sell it to my friend if it were visually interesting. (But tell me even if it isn't because I might play it anyways.)

Something with a small number of unique and complicated units would be best -- we tried Aerena but the F2P model was too offensive to stick with it, and I'm looking forward to Duelyst. Frozen Cortex was a great suggestion, but something that plays on a grid would be even better.

I'm not at home, and I will think more about it and dig a little more for you later, but a quick search on Matrix and I found [url=http://www.matrixgames.com/products/540/details/Warhammer.40,000:.Armageddon[/url]

It's turn based, set in the 40k universe and has pbem. Never played it though so take that with a grain of salt and not necessarily a recommendation.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ZombieLenin posted:

I have to second this. This game was panned by reviewers when it was released, but looking back despite the games very limited short falls, Alpha Protocol was the most satisfying cRPG (and by this I mean any video game rpg) since Knights of The Old Republic.

It might have even been better, and I say this as a huge Star Wars grognard and hater of spy fiction.

Alpha protocol looked pretty dang interesting before it came out. The really generic box art paired with mixed reviews (and everyone knows game reviewers have pretty drat low standards) meant i don't think anyone looked twice at it

Plus deus ex came out a year later and while it's not really the same type of game, the enormous amount of attention deus ex got definitely pushed it out of everyone's minds

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

ZombieLenin posted:

I'm not at home, and I will think more about it and dig a little more for you later, but a quick search on Matrix and I found [url=http://www.matrixgames.com/products/540/details/Warhammer.40,000:.Armageddon[/url]

It's turn based, set in the 40k universe and has pbem. Never played it though so take that with a grain of salt and not necessarily a recommendation.

You probably haven't played it because it's still in development :v:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

nigga crab pollock posted:

Alpha protocol looked pretty dang interesting before it came out. The really generic box art paired with mixed reviews (and everyone knows game reviewers have pretty drat low standards) meant i don't think anyone looked twice at it

Plus deus ex came out a year later and while it's not really the same type of game, the enormous amount of attention deus ex got definitely pushed it out of everyone's minds

For whatever reason, the gaming media really got it wrong with Alpha Protocol. And it was that bad press the really killed the profitability of the game, which is truly unfortunate.

Obsidian deserved to be rewarded for its design decisions, and the consumer was robbed of any chance for a sequel or even new games that incorporated the things that were done right in the game.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

S.J. posted:

You probably haven't played it because it's still in development :v:

Yep, that would probably help account for that.

Edit

Phone posting fail.

twitter and bisted
Aug 26, 2012

I'm a crow and nothing human is avian to me
Let me know if there's a better place to post this but for a casual gamer who plays GTA and the odd sports game, which would be the better console, XBox one or PS4? Would it even make much of a difference?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Good point. She's from Peru and I'm pretty sure she didn't have Lego growing up but they are pretty simple/fun games. Do the PC versions have split screen coop?

Yeah, they do.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

For whatever reason, the gaming media really got it wrong with Alpha Protocol. And it was that bad press the really killed the profitability of the game, which is truly unfortunate.

Obsidian deserved to be rewarded for its design decisions, and the consumer was robbed of any chance for a sequel or even new games that incorporated the things that were done right in the game.

What killed the profitability was Sega releasing it 6 months after Mass Effect 2. Had it come out in 2009 I'm positive it would have been better reviewed because ME2 made everyone hate ME1 and Alpha Protocol plays almost identically.

twitter and bisted posted:

Let me know if there's a better place to post this but for a casual gamer who plays GTA and the odd sports game, which would be the better console, XBox one or PS4? Would it even make much of a difference?

1. What are all your friends playing? Get that.

2. If #1 doesn't apply then what controller do you like better?

3. If you don't care about #2 then take a look at what games are coming out in 2015. PS4 seems to be the leading platform this gen like 360 was last gen and you can expect all the quirky indie/anime games to be released on it. If you have a Vita or plan on getting Playstation TV then crossbuy/save is a great reason to pick one up and PS+ is a legit good deal although Microsoft is making strides with Gold.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I have a random urge to play a turn based war game, kind of like Hearts of Iron but hopefully not impossible to play like Hearts of Iron. Suggestions?

Edit: Haha, just saw this was pretty much asked right above. Still, yes, historical war games.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 1, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
We ended up playing Lego Marvel Super Heroes last night and it was taking my wife forever to figure out the controls but I'm sure she'll get it eventually. I really enjoyed watching her pick up cars and buses and beat the poo poo out of people with them and then she clobbered Abomination. Then she looked at me and said, "It's fun but I'm tired. I'll play more tomorrow".

It's a baby step but I'm proud of her.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

I have a random urge to play a turn based war game, kind of like Hearts of Iron but hopefully not impossible to play like Hearts of Iron. Suggestions?

Edit: Haha, just saw this was pretty much asked right above. Still, yes, historical war games.

A cool easy wargame is Unity of Command.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

DeathChicken posted:

Get Comannder: The Great War from steam. The UI is simple and easy to use and it is a help of a lot of fun. The grognard game thread has a lot of chatter about it because it has most of the cool things about war/grognard games and none of the bad things.

Unity of Command is also good. It is a series of individual campaigns though.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Galick posted:

#1: My friend and I are looking for a multiplayer game that has a massive amount of custom content and stuff - building your own bases, designing your character and clothing from the ground up, etc. We are not looking for The Second Life. Do not expect this one to be filled, but it'd be amazing if it were.

Pengu! posted:

I loved the original ultima underworld in that it put you in an environment where you had to scavenge or trade for the items you used, and that it was a long dungeon crawl where you had little interaction with friendly NPC's. Are there any other games like that? I've played both ultima underworlds as well as Arx Fatalis. I also loved both dark souls games. Elligable platforms are PS2, PC, and original Xbox.

Both of you might enjoy any of the open world survival games that are becoming popular for indie devs, although none of them are "The Game" yet. 7 Days to Die has a lot of content so far, but still a long way to go (and not much character customization). Life is Feudal is a new contender that actually reminds a lot of people of Ultima, but it's super unfinished right now (and doesn't have dungeons). I'm enjoying it because the world needs more games where you raise skills by doing them instead of spending exp points :v: but it definitely needs some balancing. And also 40 bucks for an Early Access game is pretty gross.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

pun pundit posted:

I would like to play an ARPG that,
- Features character customisation; choosing hair, head, and gender is enough.
- Has a charge (as in run real fast at an enemy and hit it) attack that does not require me to use a shield and that has a reasonable cooldown.
- Is fun and isn't obtuse to build characters in (e.g. Torchlight 2 engineers can do the above, but to get one that works well is beyond me. It seems to me that you should put points into strength to wield big two-handers, but damage just peters out pretty quick if I do that).
Divinity II (Developer's Cut or DKS). Rush attack is a button-press attack with significant range, building your character is fairly free-form, and you can customize looks, voice, and equipment.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 1, 2014

twitter and bisted
Aug 26, 2012

I'm a crow and nothing human is avian to me

XBox it is!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

DeathChicken posted:

What time period? I'm a huge fan of Ageod's games, which are now on Steam. Civil War 2 was just released (I would by it on Steam unless you plan on running it modded.

It fits some of your criteria in that it's turned based and strategic level (incidentally it does have pbem). They also have titles for WWI & the American Revolution.

The downside is Ageod makes complex grognard games for history buffs like me. This means are complex.

A simple a pretty simple, but decent , strategic level turn based game that just came out is Commander: The Great War--also available on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Simple and decent war game? Unity of Command springs to mind! Dirt cheap too.