Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
How would someone whose favorite Zelda is Majora's Mask enjoy LR? I'm also a huge fan of Dead Rising 1 and Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Himuro posted:

How would someone whose favorite Zelda is Majora's Mask enjoy LR? I'm also a huge fan of Dead Rising 1 and Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter.

Unless you just vomit at the sight of any of XIII's characters, you'll probably like it okay. The combat system is weird but actually really satisfying when you start understanding how to really take advantage of it, the time limit might be a little too lenient but it's better than being too tight, and the sidequests, while never approaching anything as involved or well written as something like Anju/Kafei's in Majora's Mask, are good fun and often get delivered to you by characters that are literally just "Generic Male #3 with the Silly Moustache attachment" or "Generic Lady #2 with the Googly Glasses attachment." You also have a decent amount of customization available with regards to Lightning's appearance, if that's your thing.

I enjoyed it, but I'm the sort of freakish deviant who enjoyed XIII, so take that as you will.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Spiritus Nox posted:

Unless you just vomit at the sight of any of XIII's characters, you'll probably like it okay. The combat system is weird but actually really satisfying when you start understanding how to really take advantage of it, the time limit might be a little too lenient but it's better than being too tight, and the sidequests, while never approaching anything as involved or well written as something like Anju/Kafei's in Majora's Mask, are good fun and often get delivered to you by characters that are literally just "Generic Male #3 with the Silly Moustache attachment" or "Generic Lady #2 with the Googly Glasses attachment." You also have a decent amount of customization available with regards to Lightning's appearance, if that's your thing.

I enjoyed it, but I'm the sort of freakish deviant who enjoyed XIII, so take that as you will.

I don't hate 13. I enjoyed it for the battle system and systems depth and little else. I still haven't played 13-2.

Looking forward to it, thanks. I'm shocked you say it's lenient when someone told me it's too strict just the other day. But I will trust someone who enjoys Majora's Mask more because I realize that the premise of playing against time constraints is something people haven't liked since MM.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I never finished Lightning Returns because I was abusing the time stop thing too much and finished the main quests and most of the side quests with like 5 days left and I didn't wanna fast forward through the rest of the days for some reason that I don't remember

I like the battle system a lot though and it's got a good soundtrack

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I always felt bad for Vincent. He basically fell in love with literally the second-worst person in the entirety of FFVII's world (the first being Hojo, go figure that they ended up together).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Himuro posted:

You can't really compare the two. LR's time mechanic isn't that big of a deal and youcan mostly just cheese it, the entirety of Majora's Mask is built around its time gimmick and figuring out schedules. Majora's Mask builds itself around a specific atmosphere and tone, LR's tone swings wildly from 'self-aware self-parody' to 'straightfaced nonsense'

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Tenzarin posted:

The worst final fantasy has to be ff9. I was doing a complete run many years ago, and I got to the end thinking this isn't that bad of a game. Then the bad guy basically goes "We are GOKU from another planet, here to destroy this planet.". I just turned off the game and never went back. Good story up to that point but that completely destroyed the story for me.

You missed out on one of the best final dungeons (and themes in said dungeons) in the series.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am looking to play FFVI for the first time. I am debating between the GBA version (patched to improve the music quality) or the SNES version.

Is there a consensus around this?

Incidentally, I've been playing through the Advance version as well since I've never done so before, and despite several playthroughs of VI I only now for the first time found the Ribbon hidden in South Figaro during Locke's scenario after rescuing Celes. Guess there's always something new to learn.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I just found a box of PS2 and a bunch of old games, FFXII among them. I can't remember ever beating it when I originally bought it. Is it worth starting over and running back through?

For reference I played all the way to the near end of XIII and just can't bring myself to finish it.

\/\/\/ Absolutely, FFT is one of my favorite games. Never did play Vagrant Story...maybe I'll check that out too if I can find it.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 1, 2014

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MindlessHavok posted:

I just found a box of PS2 and a bunch of old games, FFXII among them. I can't remember ever beating it when I originally bought it. Is it worth starting over and running back through?

For reference I played all the way to the near end of XIII and just can't bring myself to finish it.

FFXII is awesome, especially if you're a fan of any of the other Ivalice games.

The International (Zodiac Job System) version is better if you can get your hands on it and the translation patch, but the original version's still a great drat game.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

IZJS with the translation patch is way better and PCSX2 can make the game look gorgeous. It's definitely worth setting up.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Interesting. I have doubts my laptop is good enough to play it, though. Is it resource intensive?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

MindlessHavok posted:

Interesting. I have doubts my laptop is good enough to play it, though. Is it resource intensive?

It can be but the nice part is that you can dial that down as well as up. How much RAM are we talking about here?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Widestancer posted:

It can be but the nice part is that you can dial that down as well as up. How much RAM are we talking about here?

4GB

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Widestancer posted:

IZJS with the translation patch is way better and PCSX2 can make the game look gorgeous. It's definitely worth setting up.

Can back this up, the job system makes it way more interesting over 3 battle mages with the same skills. The game really deserves a hd remake. Endgame bosses are kinda a joke because you can land breaks on everything but thats gonna happen if you make a breaker class. The built in speed up helps make battles go from 4 hours to 10 mins, so its not completely a single player mmo.

Used to be a real completionist when it came to final fantasy games. Over the years either got older or the game just got worse or involved more meaningless grind. Had no problem 100% Dragon Quest 8, Kingdom Hearts 1&2 where are these games? Maybe ff15 can bring it back.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 1, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Don't forget how endgame got balances so that you can actually do more things then just have characters whack enemies with high combo count weapons.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

Can back this up, the job system makes it way more interesting over 3 battle mages with the same skills. The game really deserves a hd remake. Endgame bosses are kinda a joke because you can land breaks on everything but thats gonna happen if you make a breaker class. The built in speed up helps make battles go from 4 hours to 10 mins, so its not completely a single player mmo.

gently caress I completely forgot about the long battle times. I think that's what turned me off to it when I first played.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dr Pepper posted:

Don't forget how endgame got balances so that you can actually do more things then just have characters whack enemies with high combo count weapons.

All dmg caps are gone, spells will do like 60K+ dmg. Combo weapons can do like 1mil+ dmg. Each class has their best weapons, dragon/spear breaker/axes monk/staff.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tenzarin posted:

Then the bad guy basically goes "We are GOKU from another planet, here to destroy this planet.". I just turned off the game and never went back. Good story up to that point but that completely destroyed the story for me.

Man you must have hated FF4. And 5. and 7. and 8. And 10. and 12.

Man dumb magic and/or space poo poo outta nowhere is kind of a loving thing in this franchise now that I think about it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Man dumb magic and/or space poo poo outta nowhere is kind of a loving thing in this franchise now that I think about it.

They didn't pull the goku card! This was years before the meme here on the forums. Any other kind of alien would of been fine but really monkey boys, they live in japan they know what dbz is!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MindlessHavok posted:

gently caress I completely forgot about the long battle times. I think that's what turned me off to it when I first played.

I think the longest non-Yiazmat fight I ever had in the original was like 10 minutes, if that? I don't understand all these complaints about "oh bosses took forever to kill" with regards to 12. :psyduck:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

They didn't pull the goku card! This was years before the meme here on the forums.

4 totally loving did! You AND the villain are both MOON MEN and also SECRET BROTHERS.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

4 totally loving did! You AND the villain are both MOON MEN and also SECRET BROTHERS.

You didn't have a tail and activate goku powerups to beat bosses though.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

I think the longest non-Yiazmat fight I ever had in the original was like 10 minutes, if that? I don't understand all these complaints about "oh bosses took forever to kill" with regards to 12. :psyduck:

I'm a giant manbaby and try to do the whole full completion thing. I was more referring to the hunt quests or whatever they're called. There were some battles there that took a loooooong time.

e: or maybe that's what you're talking about I dunno. It's been a while.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

I liked how 10 did it best. I mean, the whole dream thing is silly, but how it changes the story to make Tidus the person who sacrifices himself and not Yuna is beautiful and makes it worth it. Plus, we get Tidus and Jecht high five out of it so I can't hate at all. Unlike the other games, despite this, it's kind of in the background, and doesn't change the plot TOO much because no matter what, Sin is the ultimate destination.

Playing FFX international really boosted my opinion of FFX. It used to be a low-tier FF for me because of the gameplay, but the changes to the gameplay in the International version made it one of my favorite FF's. Funny how that works. Most of all, I found it crazy how so many game stories today are showed up by a 2001 title, especially FF13.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Try it and see what happens, I got it running allright on a core 2 duo with 4 gigs and a lovely ancient graphics card awhile back. You can also play with the emulator settings a lot. It's well worth it if it works out especially in the endgame.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

You didn't have a tail and activate goku powerups to beat bosses though.

Mysterious monkey/monkey boy is a thing in Japan, man. Sorry but Goku is influential (even though it's not based on goku at all but whatever). Point is things are references to other things. That's like 90% of Final Fantasy and 95% of FF9.

I'm sorry you got goku-triggered.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

They didn't pull the goku card! This was years before the meme here on the forums. Any other kind of alien would of been fine but really monkey boys, they live in japan they know what dbz is!

Yes, they know it's a show based on Journey to the West, one of the most famous pieces of Eastern literature ever written and the inspiration for countless stories ever since. Culture does not begin and end with anime, dude.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Himuro posted:

I found it crazy how so many games today are showed up by a 2001 title, especially FF13.

FFX let you out of the hallway simulator faster and gave you more freedom but it also was THE hallway simulator. FF13 let you out of the hallway simulator for a single area with no people or towns or anything but a massive grind.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

Culture does not begin and end with anime, dude.

:whitewater:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FF9 is the best game in the series and the genome twist actually makes sense and fits with things already established.

Also how much of a manbaby do you have to be to quit a JRPG because it had a weird twist.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Oxxidation posted:

Yes, they know it's a show based on Journey to the West, one of the most famous pieces of Eastern literature ever written and the inspiration for countless stories ever since. Culture does not begin and end with anime, dude.

I'm not seeing any line of comparison between Sun Wukong and Zidane? Aside from aesthetic reasons, I can't find any similarity between the two. Journey to the West is a Buddhist allegory, and this is seen in Dragon Ball some what. Not so much in Final Fantasy IX.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

even though it's not based on goku at all but whatever

You are a monkey man from another planet, sent there to destroy the planet, but you hit your head and lost your memory. That's quite a lucky coincidence! Thats prob enough to file a lawsuit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zidane had the tail the whole time so I'm not sure why you're acting like him being a monkey man is part of the twist anyway. he's always a monkey man.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The playable cast of FF15 should be monkey men.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

how much of a manbaby do you have to be to quit a JRPG because it had a weird twist.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah, when FFIX was revealed people were calling Zidane Goku just by having a tail. So I'm not sure how you didn't follow that line of thinking prior to the plot twist? Seems pretty obvious out the gate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

What the gently caress? Tidus was a ghost the whole time!? that's some sixth sense bullshit! enough for a lawsuit, methinks

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Don't care what you think, crap twist cheapened the entire story. The entire game could of had everyone as a Vivi and it still would of ruined the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Endorph posted:

What the gently caress? Tidus was a ghost the whole time!? that's some sixth sense bullshit! enough for a lawsuit, methinks

Nah, Auron was a ghost, Tidus came from the Matrix.