Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MindlessHavok posted:

I'm a giant manbaby and try to do the whole full completion thing. I was more referring to the hunt quests or whatever they're called. There were some battles there that took a loooooong time.

e: or maybe that's what you're talking about I dunno. It's been a while.

Yeah, I also did Order of Ambrosia (the stupid 100% title) and nothing took me longer than about 10-12 minutes aside from Yiazmat, who took about an hour.

Side tip, jesus christ do not try to do Order of Ambrosia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Uhhh look this game was fun and I dumped a lot of time into it but *heavy breathing* I just can't finish this last part because *wheezing* the plot twist just didn't go where I wanted it to

-a retarded person

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Himuro posted:

I'm not seeing any line of comparison between Sun Wukong and Zidane? Aside from aesthetic reasons, I can't find any similarity between the two. Journey to the West is a Buddhist allegory, and this is seen in Dragon Ball some what. Not so much in Final Fantasy IX.

He is a playful trickster archetype early on which is what a lot of Son Wokung stuff boils down to. Ironically Goku doesn't actually fall into that niche.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also the genome twist actually makes sense and is foreshadowed by literally all of Kuja's dialogue and plot points in the game post disc 1 and thematically it's supposed to mirror the whole Black Mage issue since Kuja's the one who taught the Queen how to make them and he knew because he was also just another doll-given-life and was literally just going gently caress YOU DAD I'M REAL AND I WANT TO LIVE.

Tenzarin posted:

Don't care what you think, crap twist cheapened the entire story. The entire game could of had everyone as a Vivi and it still would of ruined the game.

It was literally the entire point of the villain's everything. His character, his motivation, the reason he can do all the poo poo he does and his weird obsession/infatuation/hatred of the protagonist. So, once again

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm sorry you got goku-triggered you weird sadbrain.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 1, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'Cheapened the entire story?' the entire story is leading up to that twist, dude. It's Kuja's entire motivation and the reason he does anything else in the game. It isn't something tacked on, it explains everything.

If you don't like the twist, whatever, but don't act like they just threw it in to get that big DBZ money or whatever.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Its like they got to that point in the game during development and went "gently caress it, just make them gokus, ship it. We really had no idea what we were doing.".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Its like they got to that point in the game during development and went "gently caress it, just make them gokus, ship it. We really had no idea what we were doing.".
Actually no, it's the exact opposite of that.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Look uhhh I get where you guys are going with this I just *slides beads out slightly for stimulus with a grunt* can't see why I should have finished what I started okay?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly that wasn't even my point it was just the 'i stopped playing a JRPG because it had a DUMB PLOT-TWIST' thing

like what the gently caress were you expecting

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Tenzarin posted:

Don't care what you think, crap twist cheapened the entire story. The entire game could of had everyone as a Vivi and it still would of ruined the game.

:goonsay:

I, too, feel that one really obvious twist that has been apparent from the beginning not only ruins a game I in all other ways enjoy, but makes it the worst piece of media in an entire franchise full of stealing ideas and silly twists.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Widestancer posted:

IZJS with the translation patch is way better and PCSX2 can make the game look gorgeous. It's definitely worth setting up.

Seeing you not trolling is causing me some major cognitive dissonance.

Yes, I said the same thing about deadtear in the xiv thread

Also I went a little crazy and bought 5 of the FF soundtracks last night. A lot of tracks from each of them that I sort of half forgot. It's like swimming in a warm bath of nostalgia.

Widestancer posted:

Look uhhh I get where you guys are going with this I just *slides beads out slightly for stimulus with a grunt* can't see why I should have finished what I started okay?

Oh there you are

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
The problem is that you people have more than a cursory awareness of Dragon Ball Z. Of course you aren't going to be able to enjoy things when you have that weighing on you.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Dude, it was foreshadowed from the very first disc. Death is a thematic element of Final Fantasy 9 and it's constantly reinforced through the Black Mages, Kuja and then the dying world of Terra. Just because the story didn't go in the direction you expected it to doesn't mean it's bad.

Compared to the likes of Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy XIII which were garbled messes, IX is surprisingly consistent and coherent.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Endorph posted:

like what the gently caress were you expecting

I know right, I didn't expect them to make him Goku. Line for line they made him Goku.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You literally can't pass the opening area without Zidane turning bright pink. I don't get how you can get to the end and be surprised when it happens to someone else.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Seeing you not trolling is causing me some major cognitive dissonance.

Yes, I said the same thing about deadtear in the xiv thread

Also I went a little crazy and bought 5 of the FF soundtracks last night. A lot of tracks from each of them that I sort of half forgot. It's like swimming in a warm bath of nostalgia.

Oh there you are

Ff soundtracks are what made me buy Theatrhythm Curtain call which in turn is probably going to make me replay a bunch of old games

gently caress

It's a never ending cycle of nostalgia (thread title imo)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tenzarin posted:

You say that like that's a bad thing.

And like that hasn't been SE's game design process for the past ten years.

e: Final Fantasy Megathread: Every game has the most Gokus in the series.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Who'd be the Goku of Final Fantasy XII then? It sure isn't Vaan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Fran.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Basch powers up in the tutorial and unleashes his Kamehameha wave on the mini-boss.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

This. As a breaker the amount if damage she can deal out is silly.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's the Sorcerer king and/or Vayne. "Oh turns out there's some magic dudes controlling our evolution and your ancestor was basically their right hand on earth, destroying everything they didn't like."

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Compared to the likes of Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy XIII which were garbled messes, IX is surprisingly consistent and coherent.

Judging from interviews and such, it seemed to have a pretty smooth development. It wasn't getting to grips with new hardware, there seemed to be a vague idea of what the mechanics and the narrative were going to be, and the change over from "Whatever Vaguely Related FF Spinoff Game" to FFIX happened early on enough that it didn't hamper them.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Widestancer posted:

Funny thing is, she's statistically the weakest in the original version of XII to the point if everyone completed everything on the License Grid there'd be no point to ever using her. Another thing IZJS fixed.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Widestancer posted:

Breakers also output the least about of dmg also due to randomness. They either hit for very high or very low.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 1, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Bholder posted:

Nah, Auron was a ghost, Tidus came from the Matrix.

No he's still a ghost, he's just a Matrix ghost.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Breakers also output the least about of dmg also due to randomness. They either hit for very high or very low.

Her being practically indestructible helps

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Widestancer posted:

Her being practically indestructible helps

It's all the armor she's wearing.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Kanfy posted:

It's all the armor she's wearing.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Widestancer posted:

Ff soundtracks are what made me buy Theatrhythm Curtain call which in turn is probably going to make me replay a bunch of old games

gently caress

It's a never ending cycle of nostalgia (thread title imo)

Yeah, I rebought FFX for PS2 like a year ago and started replaying it and got about halfway through, then stopped for some reason... Now I have the remaster on Vita so I started over. I just started playing Curtain Call last night. This thread is making me want to go back and play FF9 because I never finished it, I got stuck somewhere on disc 3 a long time ago when it first came out. And there is some minor urge to replay FF8 again because it is my favorite (it was my first final fantasy), but feel like I should play through FF9 completely first, and finish a replay of FFX because I only played through it once.

I have way too many videogames I need to play.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I have a stack of 10 unopened ps3 games, and another 20 I never got more than a couple hours into, in addition to probably over 100 in similar state on my steam account :cripes:

I finished DoC when I played it years back

Clearly something is wrong with my priorities

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
When we are younger, we have much more time, and much less taste.

100% DoC, 100+ Hours on SO3, 200 Lightning Bolts Dodged, etc :negative:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
In Final Fantasy everyone is Goku, it's been that from the beginning, i dont know why or how you dont realize this, all the player characters go super saiyan by the end of the game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

I was kidding but on second thought everyone else is running around with open shirts and microskirts and whatnot (except for Balthier cuz he's classy) so simply wearing a helmet is probably enough to take first place when it comes to not dying horribly in battle.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Speak for yourself, most of us were never young or foolish enough to touch DoC. :colbert:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Pesky Splinter posted:

Um, I never bought DoC. That's on you. And 200 lightning bolts can be done in like 10 minutes.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Flytrap posted:

No he's still a ghost, he's just a Matrix ghost.

He even has a twin brother in the sequel!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Sucks that 200 lightning bolts is way harder on the HD remake due to lag

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
FFx is all about the blitzball. I mean scoring once then running away for the rest of the game with the ball so no animations are played. So swimming simulator is what FFX is all about.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Himuro posted:

Gba version with SNES version music patch.

This is the correct answer for FF4 and FF5 as well. Anyone who says to play FF4DS or FF5/6iOS should be set on fire to ignore.

If there's an FFVI GBA patch that fixes Cyan's SwdTch to charge after selection use that as well. It's about the only QoL improvement FF6iOS has and it's how the skill should've always worked.

Tenzarin posted:

You didn't have a tail and activate goku powerups to beat bosses though.

Dark Knight -> Paladin is Cecil's SSJ upgrade. He's just always in that form,like Goku and Gohan after training in that time room to fight Perfect Cell.
:goonsay:

Oxxidation posted:

Yes, they know it's a show based on Journey to the West, one of the most famous pieces of Eastern literature ever written and the inspiration for countless stories ever since. Culture does not begin and end with anime, dude.

Right, but more people will know pop culture than the historic source. See: Pretty much every Disney version of a fairytale.

ImpAtom posted:

He is a playful trickster archetype early on which is what a lot of Son Wokung stuff boils down to. Ironically Goku doesn't actually fall into that niche.

Wukong is know for super strength and speed, he can transform, carries a staff that changes size...

Nope definitely not seeing anything similar to Goku there. Goku's calm, rational, intelligent personality is also a well established thing. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Goku is more naive and innocent than he is a trickster. He also pretty much ditches a lot of the sun wukong trapping (the staff, the cloud, the tricks) once DBZ starts