Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Veloxyll posted:

Green Intern - Baby

Huzzah! I hope to create many perplexing works of art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
My dwarf seems like the perfect butcher. I hope we encounter a giant snail so she can chop it to pieces.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

I just noticed that I apparently have a taste for Giant Peregrine Falcon Tooth.

Giant Peregrine Falcons have TEETH.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

I just noticed that I apparently have a taste for Giant Peregrine Falcon Tooth.

Giant Peregrine Falcons have TEETH.

The hell are you talking about, of course they don't-

Huh. How does one develop a taste for that though?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

How does one develop a taste for that though?

Painfully.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I've noticed that a lot of the babies want to create great works of art.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I pledge my axe to the Pig Throne of Fogwall!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Babies understand that their civilization won't last for much longer. They want to leave some kind of lasting testament that says they lived.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Tyty posted:

I've noticed that a lot of the babies want to create great works of art.

We should be grateful that Toady hasn't implemented dwarf poop. You just know it would have +quality+ stats

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Well, I'm just a walking contradiction. (I'm thin, but also short and sturdy with a broad head and broad ears)
I'm pretty darn goony - I love leisure and leisure time, and find nature somewhat disturbing. I have poor focus, iffy sense for music, and meager creativity... yet I dream of crafting a masterwork? :effort:

I believe the last time I was dwarfed I literally took a nap in lava (which went about as well as you'd think) after a very special lever *somehow* got pulled...

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 1, 2014

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Aw, that s at the end of Neurosis Pinches couldn't fit. Now it isn't a perfect anagram of my username anymore.

Anyway: very flimsy, quick to tire, poor analytical ability. I'm definite cannon fodder. It's not a question of if I'll die a gruesome death soon, but how and when I'll die a gruesome death soon.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Pittsburg Lambi had the same problem. cut off the C. when it does I even try re-entering them because my fingers have betrayed me before.

All dwarves are fated to suffer gruesome death. Some of them will be at the hands of the enemies of the Fort. Others by the Incompetence of the Overseers!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Satiation of Nobles and the Challenges of Hunting.

The Cold Months.

Digs were quickly assigned for the accommodation of mining. Darth Various et al quickly carved out space for us to house these bloody menaces noble personages.

Meanwhile the new dining room, and works to hide the clay behind good dwarven stone continue well.

Any suggestion of Deathtrap workshops is a filthy elven lie, all workshops are accessible from multiple entrances.

The new nobles experiment with banning things.

As for myself, well. The fortress is well supplied with slain tree, so I take up the mining pick and now consider myself at least as good at parting the stone as murdering the vile tree.

Le_Squidie shows the new guys how it's done. Given that it is winter regardless, I am not concerned.

Potato, meanwhile, is very concerned when he runs out of bolts.

This leads to the Elk Birds invading the residential level. they do not seem particularly belligerent, thus I allow the militia to continue their training.

I also expand the bee industry.

Not that the rest of our industry is idle during the wintery months. A fortress always needs more goods.

With the new quarters stone smoothed, our engravers begin the more delicate task of etching imagery across the walls, so that the Nobles will not forget the stories of Fogwall.

The military, meanwhile, is given the month of Opal off. This has nothing to do with the Marksdwarves being competent hunters at all. Nor a third Elk Bird on the residential level.

Our Armour crafting bears fruit. While Bronze, Iron, or Steel would provide better protection, it is still reassuring to see our soldiers clad in proper armour.

Darth Various, Grey Hunter, Aerion, and necrotic complete the engraving in the first new room. It is now ready to be furnished. The Elk bird watches.

We also have a good stock of copper bars, and stone blocks. Potato claims they are comfortable to sleep on. I suspect he just doesn't want to face the Elk Birds he led into the fort.

The new rooms are furnished. Though we have exhausted the Fortress's supply of doors.

The engraving in the new dining room is also complete, so we can complete the walls.

As well, we are able to order some soap made, so we can get rid of some of the stains upon the fortress floors.

On the 19th of Opal, Boing gives birth to Duckaerobics.

Later that day sum gives birth to Chunkter.

Then Fat And Useless follows suit, bringing Hutter Huttersson to Fogwall.

THEN YEOL bears Impy, late that night/early the next morning.

Haha, you thought we were done. Elswyyr contradicts you. Say hallo to Saturnine.

Zarah joins the mother train. Hi Rulebook Heavily. Don't mind the pile of hastily carved birth tablets!

This is what giving people time off does to the place!

Illest Khan tires of waiting, and hauls her own Platinum statue to her room.

Perhaps the Elk Birds aren't ALL Potato's fault... I order the door locked and decide to leave it for the next Overseer. it is late in the winter now, and the beast is a long way south east of the only stair.

Gugo has other ideas, and ascends the stairwell. There is no option. I call the Militia to face the beast.

Neophyte is first on the scene, bringing Tyty to see the beast defeated. Quickly the militia assembles. But bravely, or foolishly, the civilian atomicthumbs, Loskel in arms, walks blithely towards the beast. The militia is ordered to charge, even though crossbow support has not arrived yet.

Meanwhile, Potato has finally found some bolts and is battling one of the Elk Birds. Perhaps for moral support?

The militia is able to easily land blows on the skinless horror-pig. And our investment in equipment helps the militia keep the upper hand.

And quickly surround the beast.

The battle does not all go our way though. In the melee, Mlle is bitten by the beast.

It inflicts a terrible wound.

Of course, Potato takes this moment to inform us he's out of ammunition, as a pair of crossbow dwarves join the fray.

The creature falls, inflicting no further wounds. Mlle doesn't even see the need to visit the doctors. Stotically going about her duties despite her injuries.

Zarah, meanwhile, cleans up Potato's leftovers in the residential area.

While Splode claims the killing blow on Gugo.

As Obsidian draws to a close, Gamer gives birth to a boy, Lawman0. Hopefully that bolt order will shoosh Potato, too. But I doubt it.

Our nobles are sated though, besides wishing for higher quality post-dwarfous accommodations. Finishing the smoothing in the Noble tombs will probably solve that though.

Potato continues to be the worst hunter. THREE MONTHS THOSE drat BIRDS RAN AROUND THE SLEEPING QUARTERS.

The season turns, and I relinquish the title of Overseer.

Our hospital is now equipped with at least some of everything, though we could use more soap. And tables and a traction bench.

The dining room is basically ready to be engraved.

We have a good supply of livestock. Though we still need breeding pairs. We also have bees coming along, and stones ready to start work on fortification walls. As well as a number of tree corpses to feed the furnaces.

Ores and stone are in good supply. though our Cloth and Silk supplies are low, we still (probably) have a fair supply of yarn. And leather.

Our workshops are humming along nicely. I'd say there's 1-2 months tops of in progress work orders at them. Orewise we have Galena, Tetrahedite, Platinum, and Malachite. So copper equipment and Silver, Zinc, or Platinum arts.

Finally, we've got a few spare beds in the cemetery at the moment should dwarves meet unfortunate ends.

Administration:
OH GOD SO MANY BABIES.
Duckaerobics.
Chunkter.
Hutter Huttersson
Impy
Saturnine
Rulebook Heavily
Lawman0

The next Male Adult is #98, Zarwell. And the next otherwise is #114 or so. Up to you if you want to heed their requests, or just throw names on anyone.

Save is Here
Please don't get us all killed.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 1, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Excellent work! You've go a tag error on the second line, /b] needs to be /s]

Also, Dwarfme sees his tendency towards mercy as an impediment on the path to power. :stare: I'll see about getting some diaries up when he's capable of standing.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Overseer Lottery is open!
As before, you have 48 hours to declare your intent to run the fort. The winner will be selected by random draw.

Wordbird Raven
Sep 7, 2011

I'm not what you would call an artist.

From the journal of symuun Cloisteredattic, Chief Mechanic

Y'know me, right enough, an' I ain't the type to criticise them as rules us, nor the defences they puts in place. All I'm sayin' is there ain't no security leak can't be solved wi' the proper application o' levers an' mechanisms. 'S quite simple, really. All we needs to do is hollow out the entire space 'twixt first an' second cavern, then link up one o' them collapsin' stone pillars. I done some calculations on the back o' this spare bit o' cloth, an' I reckon one column's enough to suspend an entire cavern in mid-air indefinitely. I mean, when ye think about it, they're mostly air an' open space, so it makes sense how that'd work. Anyways, next time we gets another forgotten beastie in the first or second layer, all ye've got to do is drop the one cavern onto t'other. Bam, squish, one dead eldritch horror. No need t'thank me, just doin' me job.

Right then, that's me latest contribution to Fogwall's security all sorted out. Time fer dinner, I thinks. I'm hearin' it's roast pork today. Hope there's plenty o' cracklin'!

(Congratulations on a relatively casualty-free year, Veloxyll. Or should that be 'condolences'?)

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Count me in

Can't go wrong with a baby overseer.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Well drat, that was a surprisingly easily killed forgotten beast.

Also this game is educational, I didn't even know what the hell a quern was before a noble banned it. Maybe we can rebrand Dwarf Fortress as edutainment.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
As a small child, I am clearly the most qualified to run this fortress!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Administrator Baby bans the export of pacifiers! Administrator Baby mandates more chocolate! Administrator Baby demands a giant platinum teddy bear monument outside the fortress gates!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

PurpleXVI posted:

Also this game is educational, I didn't even know what the hell a quern was before a noble banned it. Maybe we can rebrand Dwarf Fortress as edutainment.
The game certainly knows way more about minerals than I do.
I guess this is a relatively harmless ban, compared to socks and I don't think anyone planned to make Fogwall the mayor quern exporter.

Also these synchronised births are creepy.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Air is lava! posted:

I don't think anyone planned to make Fogwall the mayor quern exporter.

:dawkins101:

Back to the drawing board. :(

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

PurpleXVI posted:

Forgotten beasts are highly variable in difficulty. Sometimes you get large skinless animals like Gugo that are relatively harmless. Other times, you get something made of solid steel that spits Ebola, and makes anything it touches catch fire.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Journal,

Fogwall is not ready for my "big picture" style of hunting, it seems. While I was busy corralling the elkies that I completely intentionally led inside, the able-bodied of the fortress were off chasing imaginary monsters. Teamwork may not be their strongest trait.

Mlle snubbed me when I waved to her in the halls. Hmph, rude.

Potato

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Are silver and platinum weapons still pretty good for bludgeoning?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah, density still rules the day with hammers.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Alright! Third time's the charm... I'm in!

Potato Jones posted:

Mlle snubbed me when I waved to her in the halls. Hmph, rude.

:smugmrgw:

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Lottery me.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Good job on getting the fort back on its feet in a pretty dire situation, Veloxyll! Here's hoping the next overseer manages to poo poo all over your work again. Maybe they can let an elk bird kick some of those babies to death leading to a mass tantrum or something.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Good work, Veloxyll!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

PurpleXVI posted:

The fortress even HAS a Quern! and a Screw Press. No dwarves even DIED making it.

Sometimes it's nice to have a relatively quiet year.

I was tempted to just put the birth chain down and just say: "This happened."
Instead I went with my actual reaction at the time.

So of COURSE the militia would have to face a Forgotten Beast while half the melee dwarves had babies on them.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Do overseers get a dwarf for themselves even if they aren't on the dwarfing list? I want to order alcoholics around but it would be awkward to write updates without a viewpoint character.
Either way include me in the lottery.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

scamtank posted:

Yeah, density still rules the day with hammers.

Is there a difference in what materials make good smashing weapons, and what materials make good cutting/stabbing weapons? Or are some materials just +weapon goodness in general?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The DF wiki weapons page does a good job of explaining everything, but basically heavier is better for blunt attacks, and lighter + harder is better for cutting/piercing attacks. The wiki has a table explaining what weapons use what kinds of attacks, but it's generally fairly obvious.

Overall For Blunt: Platinum > Silver > Iron = Bronze > Steel > Copper > Adman

For Cutting: Adman > Steel > Iron > Bronze > Copper > Silver > Paltinum

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Is there a difference in what materials make good smashing weapons, and what materials make good cutting/stabbing weapons? Or are some materials just +weapon goodness in general?

There is - heavier / denser metals make good bashing weapons (hammers / maces). This means that for normal weapon crafting metals, silver is your go to for blunt weapons. However, silver on the other hand is the worst metal for edged / pointed weapons. Even copper makes better swords or axes than silver.

On the other end, Adamantium makes by far the best cutting weapons followed by steel, then iron/bronze and then copper, and last place is silver. Adamantium though being very very light makes terrible blunt weapons.

If you are lucky enough to get a moody dwarf to make a platinum bashing weapon, you're all set as it's really really heavy and dense.

e:fb

e2: vvvvv

I don't believe that elk birds start with the [TRAINABLE] tag in the raws (although you can manually add it) so I don't think so. They can be tamed as they have the [PET_EXOTIC] tag, but I believe only Giant Bats and Giant Swallows can be trained, and in their case, only has hunting animals.

PotatoManJack fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 2, 2014

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Can Elk Birds be tamed and trained into War Elk Birds?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Eh, guess I should've made Platinum maces and hammers. Ah well. we have good supplies of ore for the next Overseer anyhow.

Shame Lead and Zinc can't be used for smooshing weapons.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Veloxyll posted:

There are ways.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

symuun posted:

Right then, that's me latest contribution to Fogwall's security all sorted out. Time fer dinner, I thinks. I'm hearin' it's roast pork today. Hope there's plenty o' cracklin'!

Symuun cancels eat: no cracklin'.

:thejoke:

I have to say, giant skinless pig meat delivery service is a pretty efficient way to feed a fortress. Did we get an accounting of how many meats that walking pork roast got turned in to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Veloxyll posted:

Eh, guess I should've made Platinum maces and hammers. Ah well. we have good supplies of ore for the next Overseer anyhow.

Well, you cant use platinum either so no one will hold it against you

When it happens though, its nice.

• Locked thread