Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duke Jan
Dec 27, 2009

AGITATING SKELETON
I had the perfect run, did the drop exactly right and then this happened...

hosed up the last jump. Ah well, at least I got gold this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I just read this thread at work and it took me like two pages to realize it's monday today and not sunday and that I missed the deadline. I never work sundays what the gently caress, brain?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Foozle posted:

Replay submitted. I'm looking forward to seeing Entropist's run that falls straight down that goddamn drop and lands wheels down.
I had trouble with it too. I landed wheels down at least, but many times not smoothly, losing a bunch of speed.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Entropist posted:

I had trouble with it

liar

LIAR I SAY

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
We're coming to the final stretch! *drumroll*

quote:

Track 9: Afghan Warcraft by Entropist
Gold: 2:07.00

Manual Download - Steam - Replay

Replays are due by 9AM GMT (4AM EST, 1AM PST) on Monday 6th October 2014.

Track 10: 2014 Goontrack 2 by Twisted Eye, FillInTheBlank, Eddy Rasta, Neofelis, Lowen, rear end Bandit
Gold: 1:40.00

Manual Download - Steam - Blame Chart

Replays are due by 9AM GMT (4AM EST, 1AM PST) on Monday 13th October 2014.

Also results are up: http://lp.somesingawful.com/Trackmania/

Times are closer than I expected. Still I had a peek at Entropist's replay and his run through the rings is nothing short of amazeballs.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
ouch

I know I did bad but holy fuckballs is my time awful. I should've spent more time trying to break it

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Oh, nice time GhettoWizard! I only had a few runs faster than that. How many shortcuts did you use? :v:

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

SupSuper posted:

blame chart

...is a 404.

Ghetto Wizard
Aug 11, 2007

Entropist posted:

Oh, nice time GhettoWizard! I only had a few runs faster than that. How many shortcuts did you use? :v:

None, did you use any? I couldn't really see any spots that were any good for shortcuts, though I should have looked harder.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Up up and away!
If I manage to get on the final top ten I'm putting that poo poo on my avatar!

Who am I kidding, I haven't got the patience to go for the gold in Stercus...

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Ghetto Wizard posted:

None, did you use any? I couldn't really see any spots that were any good for shortcuts, though I should have looked harder.

Not really, unless you count jumping to the right after the rings to land closer to the cp. Good job then

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I lost an entire minute and dropped 10 positions because of GT1. :cry:

What's worse, I now have less time to work on the tracks than I have for the first 8 weeks. :suicide:

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
Aww yeah, still awful at goon tracks even with me trying.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
Wait a minute... The times are kind of funky in Afghan Warcraft... I smashed the Author Time after just a dozen attempts without even stopping for the gold... That can't be right

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

ViggyNash posted:

I lost an entire minute and dropped 10 positions because of GT1. :cry:

What's worse, I now have less time to work on the tracks than I have for the first 8 weeks. :suicide:
Hey you guys demanded the return of Goon Tracks, I aim to please!

Thistledown posted:

Aww yeah, still awful at goon tracks even with me trying.
At least it wasn't 10 minutes long this time. :v:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I'm honestly not sure which track is ruder.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Tafferling posted:

Wait a minute... The times are kind of funky in Afghan Warcraft... I smashed the Author Time after just a dozen attempts without even stopping for the gold... That can't be right

Okay I guess I overshot and made the times too easy now... I used the much slower "escape" options in a few places. I'm glad you all suck less at it than I expected! The author time is like 20-25 seconds slower than what the fastest of you guys will probably do.

Foozle
May 29, 2006

SupSuper posted:

Still I had a peek at Entropist's replay and his run through the rings is nothing short of amazeballs.

Called it.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

SupSuper posted:

Times are closer than I expected. Still I had a peek at Entropist's replay and his run through the rings is nothing short of amazeballs.

Heh, now that you mention it...

Going up:

Going down:

Couldn't have gotten much closer there! :smug:

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

SupSuper posted:

Track 9: Afghan Warcraft by Entropist
Gold: 2:07.00

Manual Download - Steam - Replay

Wow! That's hosed up. I like it! The bit of z-fighting here and there is slightly sad, but the layout and the overall feel of the thing is amazing, and right up there with any goontrack ever. :)

How long did it take you to put this together?

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
The time I posted for GT1 was the one and only time I finished it all the way through without loving up. And now we have another goon track. gently caress you guys.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

The time I posted for GT1 was the one and only time I finished it all the way through without loving up. And now we have another goon track. gently caress you guys.

I think that GT2's "gently caress you" jump is slightly more doable and much less random than the first for what's worth...

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

Entropist posted:

Okay I guess I overshot and made the times too easy now... I used the much slower "escape" options in a few places. I'm glad you all suck less at it than I expected! The author time is like 20-25 seconds slower than what the fastest of you guys will probably do.

I lowered my time again, It was not a perfect run by any means and at the end I lost a lot of time driving slowly in order to not gently caress it up at the last moment.
In this race everyone should aim for the gold, really, it's doable by just driving carefully. Hell, I managed to finish half a second from the gold by scraping a few walls AND coming to a complete stop TWICE.

BTW, does the first reverse jump have a chance to be completed somewhat fast(or at all) without the rewind button?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

aas Bandit posted:

Wow! That's hosed up. I like it! The bit of z-fighting here and there is slightly sad, but the layout and the overall feel of the thing is amazing, and right up there with any goontrack ever. :)

How long did it take you to put this together?
Thanks! The better you jump, the less time you lose with that.

It took a bit longer than usual, but it wasn't that bad, the mix mapping functions make it pretty easy :v:
I built it in 4 sessions, first I just made the frame of the structure without building any track, then I made the first 50 seconds or so, then the rest, and then the signs/more scenery/replay.

Tafferling posted:

BTW, does the first reverse jump have a chance to be completed somewhat fast(or at all) without the rewind button?
It's possible to hit the signs above the checkpoint and flip the right way up, or to continue past it and flip the right way up. But respawning is faster/easier. A good lesson, which might also be useful in this goontrack!

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
If you are extremely lucky you can drive for the walls once you're upside down and they'll flip you over and you can land on your wheels going through the CP.
I have only managed it once.

You can also skip the loop entirely but that's also another 1 in a million chance cut.

Also here is a big cut for the start of GT2.
I thought it would be unfair not to mention this.

http://www.gfycat.com/ImpishUntimelyAmericancurl

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

FillInTheBlank posted:

If you are extremely lucky you can drive for the walls once you're upside down and they'll flip you over and you can land on your wheels going through the CP.
I have only managed it once.

You can also skip the loop entirely but that's also another 1 in a million chance cut.

You just like showing off. :v:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

FillInTheBlank posted:

That's where I said respawning might be useful in this goon track :v:

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
The whole point to my start of Goontrack 2 was to drive backwards from the start, turning around in the air, and driving backwards through the above giffed path, hitting the inside of the checkpoint and flying over the side from there, already facing the right way. I consistently got to the last checkpoint before the next section in less than 11 seconds that way. I added the forward-facing road at the start and stuff for people to take if they wanted. Someone saw fit to block off the initial 'shortcut,' though, which looking back I should've seen coming. I probably shouldn't have added those slow, crappy, unnecessary 'there are no shortcuts, seriously wink wink' driving sections between every checkpoint.

I like the completed track, though it frustrates me so. I feel like sometimes I can't get fast enough and sometimes I can get too fast for how it was intended, and it usually means restarts. I've repeatedly hit that 'ride the plank, fly through the CP, angled into a wallride' at a lucky enough angle that I'm keeping all the momentum coming down the other side and flying off the whole road and out into the grass and dirt down below. And if I don't fall off, I haven't yet figured out how to hit that next jump without slowing waaaay down.

Entropist's track is also amazingly fun and frustrating as hell this whole week is Gooooooons :arghfist:

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I also made a thing

A Simple Technique

A track I made using only the 3 most basic blocks;
The standard road piece, the short 45° turn and checkpoints.

Try not to get lost.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
That reminds me of when I tried to build a random track generator...

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Tafferling posted:

Yeah, the Author time is super easy, so long as you just get through all the crap without more than a major crash.

Entropist, are you holding out on us?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh, nice, I finally have time to play the new-

WHAT IN THE HOLY gently caress IS THIS MONSTROSITY?

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

ViggyNash posted:

Oh, nice, I finally have time to play the new-

WHAT IN THE HOLY gently caress IS THIS MONSTROSITY?

Which one? They are both monstrosities. I think the goon track is easier to figure out how to complete than entropists'

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Goon track is honestly pretty straight forward and fun. Entropist's has that gently caress off bump-jump in the middle of it.

The gently caress, Entropist.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Gamerofthegame posted:

Goon track is honestly pretty straight forward and fun. Entropist's has that gently caress off bump-jump in the middle of it.

The gently caress, Entropist.

Drive at it straight, you don't want to have any angle when you hit it.
Make sure you don't jump too far down the hill to it otherwise it's very hard to correct your angle.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

FillInTheBlank posted:

Make sure you don't jump too far down the hill to it otherwise it's very hard to correct your angle.
And you also won't have enough speed for a full flip. This is one of those things where it pays to slow down!

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Time submitted probably super bad since I only managed to complete the track 3 times in over 5 hours of trying because its the worst track in existence. gently caress you Entropist you are the Hitler of Trackmania to me. :argh:

Probably doesn't even mean jack squat in the grand scheme of things since Stercus is the only track that going to decide global standing with its retarded 10+ minutes running time. I don't mind having a bonus track but it literally being a track that invalidates every other result is just plain stupid as the time differences in a track that massive are going to be ridiculous.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

CVE posted:

Time submitted probably super bad since I only managed to complete the track 3 times in over 5 hours of trying because its the worst track in existence. gently caress you Entropist you are the Hitler of Trackmania to me. :argh:

Probably doesn't even mean jack squat in the grand scheme of things since Stercus is the only track that going to decide global standing with its retarded 10+ minutes running time. I don't mind having a bonus track but it literally being a track that invalidates every other result is just plain stupid as the time differences in a track that massive are going to be ridiculous.

SupSuper posted:

We'll use a rally system for scoring the season results. A running total of each person's total racing time will be used to determine their standing. There may be some adjustment to this if one or more tracks are unusually long, to keep them from having a disproportionate effect on the results. In this case each person's adjusted time for that race will be a simple percentage of their total time.

It's fine, don't worry about it.

Duke Jan
Dec 27, 2009

AGITATING SKELETON

CVE posted:

Well, that stupid ring drop thing in the previous goon track makes you TrackMao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Duke Jan posted:

Well, that stupid ring drop thing in the previous goon track makes you TrackMao.

Well I have to accept that then I guess. I'm just increasingly salty at how little leeway there was for the entirety of the track as even the slightest mistake would gently caress you over entirely. But I guess my drop was equally bad even though I never felt that way probably due to creating it and driving it a ton more than others to make sure it works.

CVE fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 6, 2014

• Locked thread