Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

One day Sash will accept that being really good in 1987 is not actually relevant to 2014.

We were #3 in 2005. Better than the rest of you clowns that aren't called Ohio State or Michigan have done since then.

Also, if Iowa hadn't screwed everything up in 2008, we'd have been #1 for a few glorious weeks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

This'll sound a bit like masturbation, but Jimbo Fisher brought something of a trend with him to the ACC for modernization of stuff in like 2007 or whenever he get here. Men's fitness did an article on some of it, but it starts a little earlier. We started using training tables, which are kinda like personalized food prep for certain goals, we stopped the idiot poo poo like 5 am exercises, because all that would do is get the players sleepy in classes and 'cause academic issues (yeah I know FSU but still). The article goes into it, but something like the amount of reps you get are followed so you don't wear yourself out for games. I remember Clemson made some news about implementing their training tables later in the decade too.

Duke recently committed a LOT of resources to their player development and facilities as well, not unlike to what else has been going on. Last year's FSU team left a pretty big impression on opposing coaches, like Syracuse's, who seemed to take the game as a "these are the things I want for my team, how can I make that work here" sort of experience, at least in post-game pc. I mostly follow the ACC landscape and kinda keep an ear to what Alabama and LSU do, since LSU is kind of the godfather of a lot of this stuff because of their S+C program.

Has anything similar been talked about with Big 10 programs? A big push with commitment in player development and support helps with recruiting a lot too. Cutcliffe is killing it (for Duke) on that front. Being able to walk into a recruit's home and saying "we're dedicating these resources to get you in the best position to perform the way we believe you can" works a lot better than "if you act up you're shoveling cow poop in the cold." Meyer HAS to have brought that with him to Ohio State, right?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sash! posted:

We were #3 in 2005. Better than the rest of you clowns that aren't called Ohio State or Michigan have done since then.

I know this is somehow actually probably the thread for this, but...

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

This'll sound a bit like masturbation, but Jimbo Fisher brought something of a trend with him to the ACC for modernization of stuff in like 2007 or whenever he get here. Men's fitness did an article on some of it, but it starts a little earlier. We started using training tables, which are kinda like personalized food prep for certain goals, we stopped the idiot poo poo like 5 am exercises, because all that would do is get the players sleepy in classes and 'cause academic issues (yeah I know FSU but still). The article goes into it, but something like the amount of reps you get are followed so you don't wear yourself out for games. I remember Clemson made some news about implementing their training tables later in the decade too.

Duke recently committed a LOT of resources to their player development and facilities as well, not unlike to what else has been going on. Last year's FSU team left a pretty big impression on opposing coaches, like Syracuse's, who seemed to take the game as a "these are the things I want for my team, how can I make that work here" sort of experience, at least in post-game pc. I mostly follow the ACC landscape and kinda keep an ear to what Alabama and LSU do, since LSU is kind of the godfather of a lot of this stuff because of their S+C program.

Has anything similar been talked about with Big 10 programs? A big push with commitment in player development and support helps with recruiting a lot too. Cutcliffe is killing it (for Duke) on that front. Being able to walk into a recruit's home and saying "we're dedicating these resources to get you in the best position to perform the way we believe you can" works a lot better than "if you act up you're shoveling cow poop in the cold." Meyer HAS to have brought that with him to Ohio State, right?

Notre Dame has implemented a lot of this stuff in recent years after being too good for it for a long time. I don't know about big Ten teams though.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

I know this is somehow actually probably the thread for this, but...

I just assumed they ranked Michigan State like #9 or something for no good reason

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

Also, if Iowa hadn't screwed everything up in 2008, we'd have been #1 for a few glorious weeks!

We were 3 or 4 in the BCS at some point in 09, which was hilarious.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

swickles posted:

Preemptive shut the gently caress up to anyone who brings up academics.

The funny thing is, it would alright if we were noncompetitive but actually held standards like "academic prowess" and "not raping people" to be important like we think we do. The problem is that we just as lovely as "those SEC schools" while also being bad at football.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I'm curious, do bad teams in other conferences have nearly as much of a hard on for recruiting as the Big Ten bad teams? Because there is nothing worse than "well we might be pure dogshit in a not very good conference right now but with HEAD COACHES' recruiting we are on the up and up!".

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

We were 3 or 4 in the BCS at some point in 09, which was hilarious.

:smug:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I'm curious, do bad teams in other conferences have nearly as much of a hard on for recruiting as the Big Ten bad teams? Because there is nothing worse than "well we might be pure dogshit in a not very good conference right now but with HEAD COACHES' recruiting we are on the up and up!".

yes

And I know you think it's meaningless but there's actually a pretty decent correlation between star rating and the player being good, even if it's not universal. But most of the lovely big ten teams are also reall lovely at recruiting.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Man we almost lost to northern Iowa and Indiana that year y'all should be ashamed that it took a dirty play to finally kill us

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I find the key in the MAC is to sign a bunch of kids who have no stars. Or other D1 offers. Or talent.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
We poach recruits from Ball State and Toledo on the reg

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

We poach recruits from Ball State and Toledo on the reg

No wonder you've narrowly set your sights on the rose bowl for so long.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
What is the High School football scene like in the North? I know in Texas High School football is year around now with the padded football in the Fall and 7 on 7 in the Spring and Summer.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

yes

And I know you think it's meaningless but there's actually a pretty decent correlation between star rating and the player being good, even if it's not universal. But most of the lovely big ten teams are also reall lovely at recruiting.

Well I don't think it's meaningless but I think coaches coaching well matters more than stars of players if that makes any sense. Of course the best combination is to have highly regarded recruits as well as really good coaches so v0v

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

AfterFather posted:

What is the High School football scene like in the North? I know in Texas High School football is year around now with the padded football in the Fall and 7 on 7 in the Spring and Summer.

In Minnesota it was weight training winter to summer and padless practices to August. Then two-a-days...I shutter thinking about two a days.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 2, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

AfterFather posted:

I played in NEOhio.

Generally it was purely during the fall with 1 Football Camp in June, then "High Intensity" starting late July, and 2-a-days in August.

Regular season starts the last week of August, ends around Halloween weekend, and the playoffs go all the way until the first week of December.

Than it's just weight lifting until the last week of school. Unless you do Wrestling, Basketball, Swimming, Track and Field, LaCrosse, and/or Baseball during those months.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FuzzySkinner posted:

I played in NEOhio.

Generally it was purely during the fall with 1 Football Camp in June, then "High Intensity" starting late July, and 2-a-days in August.

Regular season starts the last week of August, ends around Halloween weekend, and the playoffs go all the way until the first week of December.

Than it's just weight lifting until the last week of school. Unless you do Wrestling, Basketball, LaCrosse, and Baseball during those months.

I wonder how far north 7-on-7 goes. I don't hear much about it in SC really. And it definitely wasn't en vogue when I was in HS.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

No wonder you've narrowly set your sights on the rose bowl for so long.

I'm more focused on the Buffalo Wild Wings bowl these days tbh.

And sometimes it works! Bob Sanders was gonna be all about that MACtion before we offered late. That's actually true of most of our good defensive backs, now that I think about it (either that or they were walk ons)

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I wonder if the style of play has anything to do with it. People think of the Big 10 as a low-scoring, methodical offense conference, and a lot of their games are played in the early afternoon. The SEC has started to see more scoring, they've gained the reputation as being the premier conference, and they get a lot of prime-time games and media attention. I think that means a lot to young guys. The Pac-12 has established itself as kind of this finesse, high-scoring group, which is also appealing to "skill position" players.
Whether fair or not, I think the reputations above matter. Maybe weather plays a small part too? LA, Tempe, and Gainesville vs. Ann Arbor, Evanston, and Iowa City... probably not a big factor but it would be for someone like me.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Idiot Kicker posted:

I wonder if the style of play has anything to do with it. People think of the Big 10 as a low-scoring, methodical offense conference, and a lot of their games are played in the early afternoon. The SEC has started to see more scoring, they've gained the reputation as being the premier conference, and they get a lot of prime-time games and media attention. I think that means a lot to young guys. The Pac-12 has established itself as kind of this finesse, high-scoring group, which is also appealing to "skill position" players.
Whether fair or not, I think the reputations above matter. Maybe weather plays a small part too? LA, Tempe, and Gainesville vs. Ann Arbor, Evanston, and Iowa City... probably not a big factor but it would be for someone like me.

I'm sorry, you are mistaken, recruits are clamoring to play for Chicago's Big Ten Team in one of America's great college football cities.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I know if I'm a 5* recruit with no legacy/family ties to the Big Ten and schools are lining up outside my door I'm going with the ones that have sunshine and poon. Not the University of Cold As Fucksville or Whiteyland State University

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I'm sure weather plays a big part.

The only people that romanticize about playing in the snow are old white guys that watch Rudy on loop. Or Hoosiers.

And say 'gritty' a lot. Or 'blue-collar.' Or 'lunch pail.'

And say 'real football is played in the snow.' :colbert:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

LeeMajors posted:

'real football is played in the snow.' :colbert:

:agreed:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

If you guys love snow so loving much, loving stay there instead of moving to the South.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I never understood preferring to play football in the South over the North due to weather

I would rather freeze my balls to my thighs than play in 100 degree weather with 90% humidity while wearing a literal suit of armor

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Ha ha. Yeah. That's me, I'm just staying up here because I like the winter weather. Yes.

Someone hold me

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Someone hold me

I would but we would freeze together in our bitter embrace and be discovered centuries later by archeologists

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I never understood preferring to play football in the South over the North due to weather

I would rather freeze my balls to my thighs than play in 100 degree weather with 90% humidity while wearing a literal suit of armor

You're out there running around so it's not like you're that cold either.

Also, it's not that cold anyhow. You stop playing at the end of November before it gets really cold. It's not South Dakota or Manitoba or something.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Sash! posted:

You're out there running around so it's not like you're that cold either.

Also, it's not that cold anyhow. You stop playing at the end of November before it gets really cold. It's not South Dakota or Manitoba or something.

It's not the games they're worried about.

They'd prefer a nice, warm place to live over a barren frozen wasteland 5-6mo out of the year.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Playing in cold weather loving sucks.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Big Ten players still getting drafted at a pretty steady clip despite this decade of mediocrity?

If so, it would point the finger more at coaching than a lack of talent.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Big Ten players still getting drafted at a pretty steady clip despite this decade of mediocrity?

If so, it would point the finger more at coaching than a lack of talent.

Michigan State is Backup Quarterback U

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

It's not the games they're worried about.

They'd prefer a nice, warm place to live over a barren frozen wasteland 5-6mo out of the year.

I went to school in Moscow, Idaho, for one year. I grew to hate that place so much and the weather was a big part.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Idiot Kicker posted:

I went to school in Moscow, Idaho, for one year. I grew to hate that place so much and the weather was a big part.

Yeah, people act like it's the playing time.

It's not the practice and 50-60 games (max) in your career, many of which won't be there.

It's all the time you'll spend living in those places.

I mean, really? Who the gently caress really wants to live in white-bread, bland-as-gently caress Columbus, OH? By choice?

Cold and interesting is fine--Boulder, CO, the PNW.

Flyover country? gently caress that.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Speaking of the Big Ten, a Big Ten Man would have found the typo in the thread title.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

I mean, really? Who the gently caress really wants to live in white-bread, bland-as-gently caress Columbus, OH? By choice?

Columbus is actually an okay town. There's actually stuff to do there versus other places in Ohio. Plus it's 20-something friendly, and it's a decent party school.

Agreed that the whole "Ohioans to the south" migration needs to die off. loving rust belt economy.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Speaking of the Big Ten, a Big Ten Man would have found the typo in the thread title.

I'm a MAC grad ;).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah, people act like it's the playing time.

It's not the practice and 50-60 games (max) in your career, many of which won't be there.

It's all the time you'll spend living in those places.

Cold and interesting is fine--Boulder, CO, the PNW.

Flyover country? gently caress that.

Seriously though, some people love their cities for a reason. I love Minnesota. I'm only a packers fan because of the history of my family. I ski, snowmobile, and fish. It's not just about the warmth and stuff man, you can get plenty of it, I just love it here :unsmith:

Granted, 18yo Erik van Football from SoCal isn't going to appreciate, let alone like playing football at a place like that.

• Locked thread