Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Count Bleck posted:

On the subject of Phoenixes, I wonder if Flame-Wreathed Phoenix is going to be any good now that theres less unconditional removal.

It probably improves a little bit, but I still prefer Ashcloud because it just has a built-in "I can't die to a single (non-exile) removal spell" whereas Flame-Wreathed doesn't have that if your opponent chooses to pay tribute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Count Bleck posted:

On the subject of Phoenixes, I wonder if Flame-Wreathed Phoenix is going to be any good now that theres less unconditional removal.
One of the pros was saying that some of those 'bad' cards might actually be playable now. I do hope everyone takes another look at Theros block cards and reevaluates them in a format without many 2 mana removal spells.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Korak posted:

One of the pros was saying that some of those 'bad' cards might actually be playable now. I do hope everyone takes another look at Theros block cards and reevaluates them in a format without many 2 mana removal spells.

I'm currently looking at 4 drop red creatures to run in my mono red 'control' shell.

Basically it uses magma jet/lightning strike/stoke/sarkhan -3 as removal and stormbreath and ember swallower as finishers. Yeah. Ember Swallower.

It's currently also running Generator Servant as a method of slamming Sarkhan/Stormbreath on turn 3 and demanding an answer right there. Rabblemaster is in there as a means of making constant threats/taking advantage of the 2/3 damage spells becoming 3/4 if my opponents impulsively block the tokens.

Chandra does real work by just letting me filter my deck to the gas, letting Rabblemaster sneak through, but other than her, turn 4, is pretty empty. Besides again 4/5 Bigbutt that becomes large and eats 6 lands.

I'm considering taking out two of them for Ashcloud/Flame-Wreathed Phoenix to give the deck a more durable threat.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Entropic posted:

There's no disadvantage to playing it face down if you're swimming in mana, but is there any other morph you could conceivably be playing in a mono-black deck? I guess it could be Ruthless Ripper. I think you could remove the morph ability and the card would have exactly the same level of constructed playability.

It's interesting how the whole bluff value of morph plummets like a rock in Constructed for pretty much exactly the reason you stated. In Limited it's interesting because one morph could be a 3/1 and the other a 4/4 lifelinker so which one are you gonna burn when they're tapped out?

I realize this isn't something that everyone didn't already know, so I guess what I wanted to add is just that it's a shame they didn't do more work to try and make multiple morphs per deck a widespread thing in Constructed too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

JerryLee posted:

It's interesting how the whole bluff value of morph plummets like a rock in Constructed for pretty much exactly the reason you stated. In Limited it's interesting because one morph could be a 3/1 and the other a 4/4 lifelinker so which one are you gonna burn when they're tapped out?

I realize this isn't something that everyone didn't already know, so I guess what I wanted to add is just that it's a shame they didn't do more work to try and make multiple morphs per deck a widespread thing in Constructed too.

The problem is that constructed level morphs would generally be absolutely busted in limited, so they couldn't make more than a few, and it would only add a bit of guessing in standard if they made several of them the same color.

Two random items: how long has it been since a set has had neither dragons nor angels printed in it? And has anyone play tested an Agent of Fates deck yet? It seems with all the cheap removal gone, it gets ridiculously better. Imagine a Sentesen Tactics that annihilates 3 creatures with a single Agent out.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

AlternateNu posted:

Two random items: how long has it been since a set has had neither dragons nor angels printed in it?

The answer, funnily enough, is 'since Dragon's Maze' (there's no angels in DGM or any of Theros block but there was one dragon in every set of Theros'). Dragon's Maze had Dragonshift which technically produced dragon tokens, but if we count Dragonshift as a dragon then we'd have to count Sarkhan too.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

quote:

Two random items: how long has it been since a set has had neither dragons nor angels printed in it? And has anyone play tested an Agent of Fates deck yet? It seems with all the cheap removal gone, it gets ridiculously better. Imagine a Sentesen Tactics that annihilates 3 creatures with a single Agent out.
I was thinking about pulling out the UB or BW deck list to try it out. It feels like it'd be great on paper.

JerryLee posted:

People won't know the first week or two, so theoretically you could catch enough people off guard that you win a tournament. Assuming the top players + friends don't scope your deck out.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Rattleclaw Mystic seems like the biggest bluff potential in constructed, since you only need to play one Hooded Hydra or Sagu Mauler in your deck to turn a facedown dude into something they need to respect at least a little bit.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
I'm posting this here as my posting was deleted from MTGS. See if you can guess why.

quote:

Alice casts Unexpectedly Absent with x = 4 on a Atog.
Next turn Nalini casts Dig Through Time.

While Dig Through Time is resolving, does Nalini need to indicate which of the seven cards she chooses? That is, will Alice know whether the Absent Atog was among the cards chosen?

Alice will clearly not know the order of the five cards that go on the bottom.

I'm interested in the answer, and particularly, what rule causes it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm a player getting back into the game after 19 years, and I wasn't at all serious back when I was a teen playing 4E/Ice Age. I have a few questions about card storage:

- should I do something to protect all my R/M cards? Like when I see a R/M, should I immediately sleeve it, or even more hardcore, slide it into some kind of plastic binder sleeve page once I'm done using it in my limited deck or running it in a constructed?
- do I want to keep my R/M separate for any reason, like trading at a local shop or better security from damage?
- what should I do with my C/U foils? Are they worth caring about at all, or should I just put them in the card box with the rest of my stuff?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Jorath posted:

I'm posting this here as my posting was deleted from MTGS. See if you can guess why.

I'm interested in the answer, and particularly, what rule causes it.

I believe the answer is no, because there's no need to maintain the order of cards in a hidden zone. Similarly, when you cast a Brainstorm, you don't have a duty to tell your opponent whether the cards that go on top were in your hand initially or not. So Nalini may shuffle those hidden cards before making the decisions.

I have no idea why it got deleted though, what's the reason?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ShaneB posted:

I'm a player getting back into the game after 19 years, and I wasn't at all serious back when I was a teen playing 4E/Ice Age. I have a few questions about card storage:

- should I do something to protect all my R/M cards? Like when I see a R/M, should I immediately sleeve it, or even more hardcore, slide it into some kind of plastic binder sleeve page once I'm done using it in my limited deck or running it in a constructed?
- do I want to keep my R/M separate for any reason, like trading at a local shop or better security from damage?
- what should I do with my C/U foils? Are they worth caring about at all, or should I just put them in the card box with the rest of my stuff?

1) Some R/M cards are worth a lot, but most aren't. I sleeve all my decks(including in Limited) because I prefer shuffling sleeved decks, but it's not important.
2) Yes, you may want to keep R/M separate, either to trade or to sell back to the store.
3) C/U foils are next to worthless except for a few rare cases, which generally consist of those which are Legacy(Type 1.5) playable.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Elyv posted:

1) Some R/M cards are worth a lot, but most aren't. I sleeve all my decks(including in Limited) because I prefer shuffling sleeved decks, but it's not important.
2) Yes, you may want to keep R/M separate, either to trade or to sell back to the store.
3) C/U foils are next to worthless except for a few rare cases, which generally consist of those which are Legacy(Type 1.5) playable.

I sleeve all my decks too, mainly for shuffling and general ease of use as you mentioned. I meant more for longer-term storage once I take the limited deck apart and then put it into a card box or a binder or something.

King of the Karp
Oct 8, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I've been pondering a UB heroic type deck focusing on the core of agent of fates, battlefield thaumaturge, hour of need, and icy blast. It seems janky (and bad) as gently caress, but fun for FNM. Hour of need and icy blast play real nicely together, especially with a thaumaturge on the field. Thaumaturge is just such a sweet card and I will be pretty bummed if (when) it never really sees play. Ferocious icy blast for U is pretty insane against all the creature decks out there right now too.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

ShaneB posted:

-I don't usually sleeve my bulk rares, but if I have reason to believe it will be worth something after rotation, I'll sleeve it and put it in a binder. Rare lands almost always get sleeves. Cards over $10 get top-loaded. A word of warning, a lot of early cards don't denote rarity directly on the card, and are often unassumingly valuable. It would do you good to do some research on your early collection, especially when it comes to dual lands.
-If you plan on trading, this is a good idea. It makes your collection more accessible, and you should probably put them in a binder to make them resistant to wear.
-Common/Uncommon foils are not particularly sought after unless they're a key part of modern/legacy decks. If you've got a foil brainstorm, for instance, that could fetch a good trade. Otherwise, don't fret over them.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Nathan Holliday is playing modern Jeskai Ascendency on stream right now if people want to see how crazy the deck is.

http://www.twitch.tv/channelfireball

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Elyv posted:

A few more caveats on this: Any card in foil that gets played in a ton of standard decks can fetch a few bucks. Stuff like Lightning Strike, for example is consistently worth $2ish, because its in so many decks, Stoke the Flames foil is also worth a chunk these days, though neither sees large amounts of play in eternal formats. EDH all stars can also fetch higher prices in foil, even at C/U, and Slivers seem to always be more valuable because some people inexplicably love slivers. Otherwise, most commons and uncommons are pretty worthless, though you can always run into kids like me who want to foil out some fringe deck like their Subsligh, and get some extra trade value out of unplayed stuff.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dungeon Ecology posted:

-I don't usually sleeve my bulk rares, but if I have reason to believe it will be worth something after rotation, I'll sleeve it and put it in a binder. Rare lands almost always get sleeves. Cards over $10 get top-loaded. A word of warning, a lot of early cards don't denote rarity directly on the card, and are often unassumingly valuable. It would do you good to do some research on your early collection, especially when it comes to dual lands.
-If you plan on trading, this is a good idea. It makes your collection more accessible, and you should probably put them in a binder to make them resistant to wear.
-Common/Uncommon foils are not particularly sought after unless they're a key part of modern/legacy decks. If you've got a foil brainstorm, for instance, that could fetch a good trade. Otherwise, don't fret over them.

Thanks. I don't have any cards from the old days. This box of khans is the first magic I've bought in 19 years :) I'm loving all the analysis and information the net has to offer in 2014.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Bugsy posted:

Nathan Holliday is playing modern Jeskai Ascendency on stream right now if people want to see how crazy the deck is.

That's a mighty fro on that dude.

He should pop that violin off the wall between rounds and hit us with a quick sonata.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Bugsy posted:

Wait a minute, I thought the set was going to be released after the pre-release which is tomorrow?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

drat dude, I'm glad I cleared my local LGS of Jeskai Ascendancys at $1 a pop. I'll be glad until they ban it, anyways.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

neetengie posted:

Wait a minute, I thought the set was going to be released after the pre-release which is tomorrow?

A bunch of the Premier events (PTQQs and maybe some other stuff) have been Khans since maint, for (apparently intentional) reasons.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Jeskai Ascendancy at $3.50+ now. All the other Ascendancy's are at $1 or less.

Gonna be great when it gets banned in Modern and crashes to 50 cents.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

This stream is convincing me that the card will eventually get the ban hammer in Modern. It's probably too fast a combo deck for Wizards.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Brian Wong is leaving LR

http://lrcast.com/new-directions/

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Drafted tonight, guy next to me pulls a Sarkhan and a Foil Bloodstained Mire. It was a good night. Except for the part where I got blown out.

Also Jeskai Ascendancy at my LGS is 75c. I do think it will get banned but it might be worth a quick flip?!?!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

qbert posted:

This stream is convincing me that the card will eventually get the ban hammer in Modern. It's probably too fast a combo deck for Wizards.

It is absolutely too fast, and there's nothing they can ban to stop it other than banning the Ascendancy itself. If they ban Glittering Wish the deck can switch to Idyllic Tutor and still go off turn two with a natural Ascendancy draw. All the mana creatures and cantrips can be replaced.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

OY VEEEEEEY

qbert posted:

Ascendancy will need to be banned instead of Wish like most people are saying in the Chat. Sucks though because using Glittering Wish is neat.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, it's gonna be the Ascendancy. Glittering Wish is a neat card with potential niche applications. Ascendancy is really just a combo piece.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Nathan still hasn't lost a single game...

He just won through a game where his opponent had Anger of the Gods, Snapcaster Mage, Remand, Counterflux, Cryptic Command, 2 Lightning Bolts, Dispel, Electrolyze, and like 8 mana on board.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped
Hilariously I think the really broken card in the deck probably isn't wish or ascendancy but Treasure Cruise. In theory the deck is weak to disruption and not THAT much faster than Pyromancer Ascension storm, but getting to play four Ancestral Recall makes up for it big time. I don't really understand what Wizards was thinking when they printed that card.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

qbert posted:

Nathan still hasn't lost a single game...

He just won through a game where his opponent had Anger of the Gods, Snapcaster Mage, Remand, Counterflux, Cryptic Command, 2 Lightning Bolts, Dispel, Electrolyze, and like 8 mana on board.
He was also running really low on time.
Wizards pls Remove Ascendancy.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

qbert posted:

Yeah, the Channel Fireball stream is amazing right now, it's Nathan Holiday crushing a modern daily with his Dad supporting in the background.

He was about time out G2 (Won G1 Turn 3) against a scapeshift player, he slight of hands with swan song and wish on top, twitch chat says swan song, he gets wish, wishes for guttural response. Guy immediately taps out thinking that the response is only disruption spell, gets blown out by swan song and he manages to combo out for the win with a couple of minutes remaining.

Then he gets a high five from his dad. :3: This deck is awesome, I would make it if it wasn't going to get banned like instantly.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Bugsy posted:

This guy looks amazing.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Can the Ascendancy deck still win against Meddling Mage and/or Chalice of the Void?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The fact that Khans has Legacy playable spells (multiple) and one legacy playable creature and a modern build-around powerful enough to warrant a ban is still not enough to keep the usual suspects from slagging it off as the worst set evar on Salvation :allears:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The fact that Khans has Legacy playable spells (multiple) and one legacy playable creature and a modern build-around powerful enough to warrant a ban is still not enough to keep the usual suspects from slagging it off as the worst set evar on Salvation :allears:

Khans is also one of the best sets for Pauper simply due to having a second set of Guildgates for two color decks. Also Treasure Cruise is a common, so that's going to be fun to play against.

MTGS is cancer.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Well, we all know that MTGS is toxic, in fact, is there an internet forum related to magic that isn't completely retarded? I mean apart from here which has it's moments but is relatively decent.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

qbert posted:

Can the Ascendancy deck still win against Meddling Mage and/or Chalice of the Void?
Most versions I've seen have silver bullet sideboards to go with Glittering Wish so post sideboard you've got stuff like abrupt decay, simic charm, or wear/tear.

Also Meddling Mage if you want to name Meddling Mage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I find it hilarious that Pact of Negation would actually be a mana generator in this deck, all the value etc.

• Locked thread