Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pomp posted:

Well, I'm trying out shadow labrys, but for some reason everyone notates her combos like a retard idiot. Why would you put her persona attacks where they're supposed hit instead of the order you're supposed to hit the buttons in? :confused:

It's not that hard to figure out what they mean, but that is some rude poo poo.

I gave up on the new slab after like 5 minutes since I'm a scrub that can't play without the old 2c, but I've heard that most of her new combos are finicky with persona positioning, so there may not be a constant time to press the buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
my thumbs try to play every fighting game the same way, it's hard to get out of the habit of trying "traditional" combos instead of focusing more on the stick movements and less on the buttons.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Hanging out in Yasogami High School - XIII Death if you want to play.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Gave Junpei a try (best char in P3 EZ), but the number of hard links in his good combos has pretty much scared me off. Might just give up and go back to Kanji, but also interested in trying out Yukari as well.

Feel free to add me on PSN, my id is Jmcrofts.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I can't believe Golden Arena has a mode where you can literally just play forever, climbing infinite imaginary floors.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Can I get some help with something? It's in regards to the ending. I picked both options for episode P4 and beaten it but it's still stuck at 94%. I read that you have to do all of episode P3 and do the same thing, which I did, but now it's still at 99% and chapter 11: Mission Complete is shown with the word clear in yellow. Did I miss something?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Can I get some help with something? It's in regards to the ending. I picked both options for episode P4 and beaten it but it's still stuck at 94%. I read that you have to do all of episode P3 and do the same thing, which I did, but now it's still at 99% and chapter 11: Mission Complete is shown with the word clear in yellow. Did I miss something?

Do the P4 story again and pick the first option again. Also, replay the chapter 11 section of P3.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jmcrofts posted:

Gave Junpei a try (best char in P3 EZ), but the number of hard links in his good combos has pretty much scared me off. Might just give up and go back to Kanji, but also interested in trying out Yukari as well.

Feel free to add me on PSN, my id is Jmcrofts.

All of Yukari's main combo routes seem to rely on very tight links. And without them she basically does no damage off anything. Which is shame because her zoning is really fun and wind orb is one of the better character mechanics.

Actually, a lot of the new characters seem to be gated behind difficult combos. Marie has 4 different versions of her 5a bnb for different members of the cast and she doesn't even have one that works on Sho. Seems like a weird design decision since a lot of characters still have really easy combos.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

Do the P4 story again and pick the first option again. Also, replay the chapter 11 section of P3.

I did replay chapter 11 of p3, nothing happened.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Which P3 choice did you most recently pick? It only remembers the last one you did. It worked for me after I did the second choice.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

Which P3 choice did you most recently pick? It only remembers the last one you did. It worked for me after I did the second choice.

Play all the way through the ending after picking the first option, don't go back to the Main Menu.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh yeah, that, you have to let it kick you back out, which does mean you have to fight the boss again.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Ohh, there it goes, on the ending now. Thank you.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Well, finally played a real match of this and I'm reminded why I hate the fighting games made by these guys. Guss I'll just do the story mode and shelf the game.

Edit: And by "these guys" I mean Arc System Works, not Atlus.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 4, 2014

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll be back in an hour-ish, Blaze. I can't believe I didn't even win a single round in any of those matches...

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
PSN: zarron if anyone want to play a few games.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Golden Goat posted:

Go pimp out your profile

love you

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

I'm on XBLA with the same user name and just signed in to play for an hour or so. If anyone wants to help me pick a new main, send an invite/message/whatever.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm picking this up later today. Where should a complete newbie to this game start? I had the first one, but never played it because no one around me did. Now there's a group near me where everyone plays it, so looking to get started.

I'm coming from Marvel as that's the only fighting game I've really played in the past few months.

EDIT: And my psn is theguy2687 if you want to beat on a newcomer.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 4, 2014

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
My psn is purgatos. I'm re-learning the game because all Liz's combos are different now. Life is sooooo hard.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll be in Yasogami High School - Death XIII all day today if anyone wants to play me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Chaotic Flame posted:

I'm picking this up later today. Where should a complete newbie to this game start? I had the first one, but never played it because no one around me did. Now there's a group near me where everyone plays it, so looking to get started.

Work through Tutorial and Challenge Mode to get a feel of the concepts and how each character plays. From there, roll around in Training Mode with the characters that you like, and decide which ones you like. From there, there should be plenty of resources online on basic combos you can work on - Dustloop is a good place to start.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alright I've updated the PSN/XBLA ID list and moved it to the second post, because words.

I'm hanging out at Cabinet 01 if you want to just hop on.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Beef Waifu posted:

Alright I've updated the PSN/XBLA ID list and moved it to the second post, because words.

I edited my post right after you posted to add my PSN.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Hey Beef, you want me to keep using Marie? Not sure if you are trying to learn the Junpei-Marie match-up.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Gonna be getting the PS3 version today, so add me as PunkBoy412 to the PSN list as well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sonata Mused posted:

Hey Beef, you want me to keep using Marie? Not sure if you are trying to learn the Junpei-Marie match-up.

If you wanna, then go for it. I'm probably gonna switch soon as I'm cycling through him, Minazuki, or Chie as my main.

PunkBoy posted:

Gonna be getting the PS3 version today, so add me as PunkBoy412 to the PSN list as well.

You're already there, brah.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

If you wanna, then go for it. I'm probably gonna switch soon as I'm cycling through him, Minazuki, or Chie as my main.

Okay. I just didn't want to switch and then wonder if you were trying to figure something out. I feel like that sometimes so I don't want to do it to others.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

I see myself in the XBL list and that's it. Maybe I have an old tab open...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh whoops, I see then.

EDIT: God dammit, PunkBoy editing your PSN in lost me my spot.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Koromaru, how are you playing on that machine???

Hmm, I don't think you can OMC Rise's DP.

Sonata Mused fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 4, 2014

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh whoops, I see then.

EDIT: God dammit, PunkBoy editing your PSN in lost me my spot.

Sorry! :( I'm gonna be free as hell though so facing me is gonna be an easy win.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sonata Mused posted:

Koromaru, how are you playing on that machine???

Hmm, I don't think you can OMC Rise's DP.

You can't OMC any of the DPs I'm pretty sure.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh, that explains a lot.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

The lobby needs a quarter or "I got next" system.

e: Thanks for the games guys. I gotta run for now.

Sonata Mused fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 4, 2014

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Beef Waifu posted:

To add to this: depending on the character you can cancel their DP on block into a super, and these may or may not be able to be OMC'd. Expensive but definitely worthwhile if you need to get out of a bad spot.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Minazuki can be gimmicky with using 236D after a blocked DP to catch people trying to punish for example.

Good games guys, that was fun.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, I got caught by that a few times. Still learning that match-up, but it was really fun. Starting to get better at blocking his stuff.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Chickenfrogman posted:

Minazuki can be gimmicky with using 236D after a blocked DP to catch people trying to punish for example.

Good games guys, that was fun.

My grandfather came into my room and started ranting about some stuff he saw on TV which is when that embarrassing ending to our match happened when I was trying to go for j.B and it came out as just a standing B.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

"And then the TV said, wait, was that standing B? Get out of here and let me play. I'll show you my true self."

• Locked thread