Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
So much love for this game. What always struck me was how Adagio for Strings had such an emotional resonance each time it was used: Very, very few games have such a well chosen combination of story and music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The toaster doesn't have to open its door to let out capital ships, it can just poop them out. On the other hand I *think* that might give it a big ol' weak spot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You can use the toaster's hitbox to ram into the banana like it was a hook to kill it in one hit too if you've damaged it at all. You have to fiddle a lot with it though and it's not intentional. For probably intentional changes, the Kushan support frigate can heal itself; the Taiidani one can't.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
You mentioned in the video that assault frigates have 4 railgun turrets. They also have a pair of plasma bomb launchers (you can see the lenses on the Taiidan model just below the rhino horn). This is the real reason why a group of them is capable of hitting well above their weight class :black101:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Michaellaneous posted:

And the fact that they just straight up murdered the captain. He told them why, the interogation was probably complete.
Then he got lynched.

Can you really blame them?

I don't think it's automatically a lynching, lack of formal war declaration and genocide both leave open perfectly legal ways to have the Taiidani captain condemned and executed.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
I'm just echoing what other people have said so far, but this game (by a hilariously massive margin) struck me as having the strongest, most emotional and "sit-back-wide-eyed" story of any I've ever played. I'm really glad this LP is under way.

I've always been a massive fan of the Homeworld series, and the very first day that Shipbreakers was announced, I jumped on the train. I can't wait for the HD remake. Ordered that first-day too.

e: Oh poo poo I never bothered to look at the timestamps in the Tiidani log. Three hours. Holy gently caress.

Tupper fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 4, 2014

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Berry, thank you for LPing this. This was my favorite game growing up, glad to see it get its due justice.

Polaron posted:

You mentioned in the video that assault frigates have 4 railgun turrets. They also have a pair of plasma bomb launchers (you can see the lenses on the Taiidan model just below the rhino horn). This is the real reason why a group of them is capable of hitting well above their weight class :black101:

Not only that, but for a reasonably sized ship they can strafe targets decently. Those turrets give them a surprising range of coverage and if need be they can line up their plasma cannons for that added "oomph". A great ship in a pinch.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Omobono posted:

I don't think it's automatically a lynching, lack of formal war declaration and genocide both leave open perfectly legal ways to have the Taiidani captain condemned and executed.

Considering what happened, I doubt it was anything formal. They just saw literally their entire race being killed, and I kind doubt they have proper interrogation methods onboard.

They probably just straight up beat that guy to death.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Not to mention the utterly de-personalizing of the Captain. "The Subject" is a poignant word chosen as it makes that Captain so much less for it.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Something else I love about this game's presentation - everything is shown at the ship-sized and planetary scales. We never see the people in the ships, so we have no frame of reference for how they look, or even if they're human. We know the Kushan are vaguely human in shape and size, but this is about it.

This decision has two great effects on the game's atmosphere. The first is that we can connect with the Kushan ONLY through their emotional states and reactions, since their appearance/biology is irrelevant. The second effect is that the aliens become truly alien, since we never see what they look like either. We can only make guesses about them based on the shape of their ships and their behavior. It adds an extra edge of fear to the story, when you're not sure if the entity you are facing has a face.

Thing is, I don't think this was an intentional decision, because Homeworld 2 does away with it.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I think that Kushans are pretty much human, looking at Fleet Command.

She looks way too much like a human that it is just a coincidence. The Homeworld Wiki also clearly shows them as humans. Which honestly does not take away anyting from the game.

And also of course, google for homeworld fleet command, the first result is a loving pony. I hate this lovely loving place. :negative:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's from HW2 but even in the first game you can see that Karan S'Jet is humanoid, at the very least.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Oh yeah, sorry. But it is by all intentions the same thing.
Also I just realized this game actually has a female protagonist. When I played it Fleet Command was just always kinda there for me, overwatching everything and being helpfull. It is difficult to relate when she, you know, is basically turned into a giant AI. She was a normal person once.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
I always just assumed that all the races in the game were mostly humanoid in appearance. Except for one. I've always wondered what the Bentusi look like inside their ships.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Michaellaneous posted:

Also I just realized this game actually has a female protagonist. When I played it Fleet Command was just always kinda there for me, overwatching everything and being helpfull. It is difficult to relate when she, you know, is basically turned into a giant AI. She was a normal person once.
Yeah. Cataclysm does a much better job with this, both because the story is considerably less epic in scope (at least at the start) and because Somtaaw are basically adorable losers who aren't in control of what happens in the slightest. It's a much more human perspective than the perfectly rational last resort plan the base game presents.

e: Oh, no doubt about it, this game's storytelling is top-notch; I've been gushing about it here for pages. It's interesting to play around with the depictions of what exactly stands for humanity (kushanity) where and how it's represented, though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 4, 2014

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah I always figured most, if not all, the races in the Homeworld series had the Star Trek/Star Wars deal going where they all looked human but lived on different planets.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah. Cataclysm does a much better job with this, both because the story is considerably less epic in scope (at least at the start) and because Somtaaw are basically adorable losers.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the concept. It is something new, even now.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Roman Reigns posted:

Yeah I always figured most, if not all, the races in the Homeworld series had the Star Trek/Star Wars deal going where they all looked human but lived on different planets.

That's just a trope of sci fi that I hate, it's so unimaginative. I like that this game lets me interpret things differently.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

I always just assumed that all the races in the game were mostly humanoid in appearance. Except for one. I've always wondered what the Bentusi look like inside their ships.

Cataclysm gives a hint about that one.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Michaellaneous posted:

Not sure if you noticed, but before he said "Prepare for replay." you can clearly hear him breath out and pause. It's amazing how much emotion they bring over without faces.

And the fact that they just straight up murdered the captain. He told them why, the interogation was probably complete.
Then he got lynched.

Can you really blame them?

If you're doing a salvage run and capture the entire reprisal fleet in mission 5, which includes a carrier and a pair of destroyers just imagine what they do with the crews of those capital ships.

There's a lot of disturbing subtext in this game. :stare:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think the issue was that it didn't give you enough space or maneuverability/speed with all the various units to make any sort of formations/tactics viable other than "FORM A GIANT WALL OF LASERS AND :black101:".

And the IMP v REB balance wasn't that big a problem. However, a lot of units felt superficial compared to others in the same faction: many different transports, Carrack Light Cruiser and one or two more that I forget were quickly rendered obsolete but neither side had a definitive advantage unless you built/focused on the wrong fleet composition.

Also, Imperials were better solely because assassination missions.

Are there any mods of Homeworld 1 and Cataclysm? I remember there being at least one Star Wars and Star Trek mod for Homeworld 2.

Why'd you stop anyways? I was enjoying your LP.

Mostly I was just being lazy. Then I got sidetracked by another mini-LP about a crazy Amiga-game which just sapped most of my enthusiasm. But I'm still planning on finishing it! I even plan on making new footage tomorrow, so I can finally post some more videos!

Also thanks OP, for making this thread. Without your little reminder, it would have taken me at least 1-2 weeks longer before my motivation would've restarted my own LP. :v:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

They just had to pick up 600.000 of their own people on a ship that was probably not designed for such an amount of people.

They will need every bit of space to accomodate them. I am sure they just slaughter the enemy crews and throw them out of the ship.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Michaellaneous posted:

They just had to pick up 600.000 of their own people on a ship that was probably not designed for such an amount of people.

They will need every bit of space to accomodate them. I am sure they just slaughter the enemy crews and throw them out of the ship.

Honestly, I always thought they recycled the bodies, considering how starved for ressources they must be.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Michaellaneous posted:

And also of course, google for homeworld fleet command, the first result is a loving pony. I hate this lovely loving place. :negative:

Well, of course it is, HOW COULD IT NOT BE?! :(

Michaellaneous posted:

To hell with Doctor Who and anybody who says otherwise, I'd probably sign up to become a giant freaking spaceship. Thought I wonder if she considers the crew to be walking *inside* her.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JcDent posted:

Well, of course it is, HOW COULD IT NOT BE?! :(

To hell with Doctor Who and anybody who says otherwise, I'd probably sign up to become a giant freaking spaceship. Thought I wonder if she considers the crew to be walking *inside* her.

There's a cool line from some cut script or something from HW2 where she describes being Fleet Command and says that when she got plugged in she instantly knew everything about the Mothership and how lovely most of it was. The line goes something like "It was like being a god. A twisted, deformed god, trapped in hell".

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JcDent posted:

Thought I wonder if she considers the crew to be walking *inside* her.

I can already picture the thousands of tired "yo mommaship" jokes.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

JcDent posted:

Thought I wonder if she considers the crew to be walking *inside* her.

Hey, S'teve, that panel is hooked up to my left foot's nerves, stop tickling me! And you, J'ane, would it hurt you to do some workout every once in a while? You're clogging my arteries! <:mad:>

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

I believe HW2 and cataclysm says most of them stayed in cryogenic sleep and they only got woken up as new crew for the ships was needed.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I honestly doubt that. I think they just pussied out.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Considering how many ships I salvaged, they'd need all those people. :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well, the game was intended to be a Battlestar Galactica RTS originally and later morphed into Homeworld when Relic failed to get a license for it from Universal Studios.

I imagine there was at some point a plan to have some kind of cosmopolitan civilian fleet around the Galactica Mothership, but it got cut for various production reasons.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Koorisch posted:

Considering how many ships I salvaged, they'd need all those people. :v:
Just curious: What's the minimum number of humans needed to sustain a viable population without rampant genetic disorders from inbreeding?

VVV: Didn't know what term to google and it was the exact thing I asked :doh: Thanks!

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 4, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Just curious: What's the minimum number of humans needed to sustain a viable population without rampant genetic disorders from inbreeding?

With inbreeding? About 500. Without? Just over 4,000.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

Well, I thought Cataclysm and Homeworld 2 answered that question.

I just love the entire Homeworld series. I even liked the more mythological/mystical aspects of Homeworld 2. Haegemonia is a nice game, but it cannot quite reach Homeworld. The story is a lot weaker, and while I really liked the gameplay, it has a much higher focus on the economy/base building side than Homeworld. Star Wolves was also a decent game, but it had a much bigger RPG aspect to it. Homeworld is a pure RTS, and one of the best of it's kind.

The two best levels are still coming later, the Garden and the Cathedral. I'm so looking forward to them.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, the game was intended to be a Battlestar Galactica RTS originally and later morphed into Homeworld when Relic failed to get a license for it from Universal Studios.

I imagine there was at some point a plan to have some kind of cosmopolitan civilian fleet around the Galactica Mothership, but it got cut for various production reasons.

:bang:

Really? Really?

Homeworld was never meant to be a BSG game. Yes, there are tons of similarities, which the design team at Relic has admitted too. But the thing is, you don't start developing a game like this without first securing the license. Building up the engine, the graphics, the game and then trying to slap a known IP onto it?

Besides, this game came out in 1999. BSG was a dead franchise (except for some comics) at that point. Don't you think that Universal would have loved to get some money out of that if they could have?

Please stop passing around that piece of information. It's wrong.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
About the Salvage Corvettes, if you don't put them on Aggressive tactics they'll probably chicken out when they get shot at, although putting them on Evasive will make they slightly less slooooow.

Also the Salvage Corvette crews must have balls the size of melons to do the work they do.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Boogle posted:

If you're doing a salvage run and capture the entire reprisal fleet in mission 5, which includes a carrier and a pair of destroyers just imagine what they do with the crews of those capital ships.

There's a lot of disturbing subtext in this game. :stare:

I forget how far in the campaign, but once word gets back to the general populace of the Taiidan empire about the atrocity the Emperor ordered to be committed upon Kharak, he loses a lot of popular support and it sparks a civil war. So I always figured that the Kushan gave the captured crews the choice to join their cause, and any positions that needed to be filled would be recruited from the ranks of the cryo-frozen Kushan.

I think it would've been an interesting and somewhat compelling mechanic if the game tracked how much of your race perished on the way to Hiigara, and if it somehow affected your unit caps or the efficiency of your ships (from awakening people who were less and less qualified or capable to operate starships). Save only one cryo-tray? Welcome to Hard Mode, Space Hitler.

Michaellaneous posted:

The Mothership was designed from the get-go as a sleeper ship to carry the cryo'd people to Hiigara, and IIRC from the manual, the process of preparing individual people for the cryo-journey took around 10 years. They definitely expected to shove a whole bunch of people into their mothership, in a cryogenic state at the very least. I wonder if they even intended to have more than six cryotrays.

Edit: Obligatory anime mecha-musume Homeworld fanart I found:

Yeah, I know it's from Homeworld 2, and its anime, but I find it adorable :kimchi:

Neurion fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 4, 2014

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Neurion posted:

I forget how far in the campaign, but once word gets back to the general populace of the Taiidan empire about the atrocity the Emperor ordered to be committed upon Kharak, he loses a lot of popular support and it sparks a civil war. So I always figured that the Kushan gave the captured crews the choice to join their cause, and any positions that needed to be filled would be recruited from the ranks of the cryo-frozen Kushan.

I think it would've been an interesting and somewhat compelling mechanic if the game tracked how much of your race perished on the way to Hiigara, and if it somehow affected your unit caps or the efficiency of your ships (from awakening people who were less and less qualified or capable to operate starships). Save only one cryo-tray? Welcome to Hard Mode, Space Hitler.

The Mothership was designed from the get-go as a sleeper ship to carry the cryo'd people to Hiigara, and IIRC from the manual, the process of preparing individual people for the cryo-journey took around 10 years. They definitely expected to shove a whole bunch of people into their mothership, in a cryogenic state at the very least. I wonder if they even intended to have more than six cryotrays.

Edit: Obligatory anime mecha-musume Homeworld fanart I found:

Yeah, I know it's from Homeworld 2, and its anime, but I find it adorable :kimchi:

That wasn't obligatory, please don't do that again.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
We have different ideas of "obligatory"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I regret nothing :arghfist::saddowns:

• Locked thread