Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Occ was giving me this long thoughtful spiel on how they were already doing Astrid a disservice as Season 4's Companion and I was in the far corner of the room the whole time basically doing a 19th-century gold-prospector's dance, A+ would watch again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Voyage of the Damned is really bad. Really really bad.

Oxxidation posted:

Occ was giving me this long thoughtful spiel on how they were already doing Astrid a disservice as Season 4's Companion and I was in the far corner of the room the whole time basically doing a 19th-century gold-prospector's dance, A+ would watch again

:getin:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

Dang. I mean, I've never watched this one, but you survived Love & Monsters and Jesus Tinkerbell Doctor- how bad can it be?

DoctorWhat's MST3K joke isn't actually a joke. That happens.

Oxxidation posted:

:laugh:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Voyage of the damned being on space Titanic was the worst ever waste of a premise.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, this is the very worst of "Doctor & a party of people who might die at random times" episodes, and there are many of them.

It also seems like every Doctor gets a good first Christmas special (helps if you consider The Christmas Invasion to be a rewritten Eccles script) and then they turn more and more unwatchable. At least, they were to me. I nearly turned this one off, and a later one is the only episode I ever did.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

Voyage of the damned being on space Titanic was the worst ever waste of a premise.

It was just the worst case of creative blue balls to actually show the prow of a loving early 20th Century steamliner crashing through the TARDIS only to backpedal so goddamn fully in the episode itself. I mean seriously that was such a heavy "gently caress you" to the audience, even though knowing RTD I'm sure it wasn't intended as one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

This is why it is a good and not a bad episode

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, this is the very worst of "Doctor & a party of people who might die at random times" episodes, and there are many of them.

It also seems like every Doctor gets a good first Christmas special (helps if you consider The Christmas Invasion to be a rewritten Eccles script) and then they turn more and more unwatchable. At least, they were to me. I nearly turned this one off, and a later one is the only episode I ever did.

Which one? Post in spoilers or the eighth season thread since we don't want to mess with Doc Tocc's expectations.

E: Also, I'm attempting another run at the classic series. I've watched random bits and episodes that sounded interesting, but I want to watch them all for completions sake. I think there's something wrong with me.

terrordactle fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 5, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Autonomous Monster posted:

Dang. I mean, I've never watched this one, but you survived Love & Monsters and Jesus Tinkerbell Doctor- how bad can it be?

It's TERRIBLE.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

terrordactle posted:

Which one? Post in spoilers or the eighth season thread since we don't want to mess with Doc Tocc's expectations.

E: Also, I'm attempting another run at the classic series. I've watched random bits and episodes that sounded interesting, but I want to watch them all for completions sake. I think there's something wrong with me.

The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe almost made me switch it off but I was having such a lovely Christmas that year that the absolute poo poo of that episode honestly made the day better weirdly enough.

And yes, if you're watching the entire classic series something is very probably wrong with you.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I actually skipped this one, and two other specials, so I have no idea what happens in this. Reading Occ's review will probably be a better experience than actually watching Voyage of the Damned. :allears:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oxxidation posted:

Wait, he seriously thought that Kylie Minogue was going to be the official Season 4 companion? Hilarious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wait, he seriously thought that Kylie Minogue was going to be the official Season 4 companion? Hilarious.

I'm guessing he had no idea who Kylie Minogue is (and probably still doesn't).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I had no idea either before my usual episode wiki-walk.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm a huge pop fan, so i knew of her, but i mean it's 13 episodes, not THAT huge a commitment

also: billie piper

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

terrordactle posted:

I've been doing that gradually over the past year. Keep in mind that it's actually impossible to watch the entire classic series; several of them are still lost and probably will never be recovered.

Also, some of those episodes are boring. Super, super boring. Just hang on, you'll get to the better stuff soon enough.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Isn't this the most watched episode of Who ever?

People have no taste.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

BSam posted:

There's not enough left. The system is too badly damaged. He's just atoms, Doctor. An echo with a ghost of consciousness. He's stardust.

Well now he's seen it, I feel guilty for slipping this into the Adric talk.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

adhuin posted:

Isn't this the most watched episode of Who ever?

People have no taste.

I think that just means that a lot of people heard good things about Who, watched the episode, then hated it so much they never watched Who again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

I'm a huge pop fan, so i knew of her, but i mean it's 13 episodes, not THAT huge a commitment

also: billie piper

True, but Billie's music career had been dead for a few years before Who, Kylie still tours pretty successfully even today.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Lycus posted:

I think that just means that a lot of people heard good things about Who, watched the episode, then hated it so much they never watched Who again.

Or stunt-casting a Pop-star was a huge success.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I thought this episode was all right, I remember laughing at what a petty weirdo the villain was, and I liked the bit about the one guy who survived not being who the Doctor would have wanted to. The bits I liked are probably causing me to forget any amount of crap though. That's why I remember liking Love & Monsters; the big climax where the Doctor shows up made me laugh and I couldn't tell you anything about the plot before that.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

adhuin posted:

True.

Also, I had no idea before now that Billie Piper was a musician.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_XI_290cfw

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

2house2fly posted:

I thought this episode was all right, I remember laughing at what a petty weirdo the villain was, and I liked the bit about the one guy who survived not being who the Doctor would have wanted to. The bits I liked are probably causing me to forget any amount of crap though. That's why I remember liking Love & Monsters; the big climax where the Doctor shows up made me laugh and I couldn't tell you anything about the plot before that.

You have a memory problem and should probably go to a neurologist.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

This is even worse than the poo poo you send to Eurovision!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Okay, that's not a good thing. At least I know, now.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I'd forgotten large stretches of Season 2 and 3 until reading these reviews, including this special. Can't wait to see what horrors I repressed this time.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

I've been doing that gradually over the past year. Keep in mind that it's actually impossible to watch the entire classic series; several of them are still lost and probably will never be recovered.

Also, some of those episodes are boring. Super, super boring. Just hang on, you'll get to the better stuff soon enough.

I know. I'm doing it incrementally, just sort of watching in spurts before taking a break. It's fun watching the actors blunder through dialogue because the BBC didn't have the budget for a second take back then.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

this is actually a deleted scene from parting of the ways

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Billie Piper everyone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS89g2-rnM0

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Oxxidation posted:

lollllllllllllll

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lycus posted:

Okay, that's not a good thing. At least I know, now.

That was pretty much her biggest hit.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This is good, much like Voyage of the Damned

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Lycus posted:

True.

Also, I had no idea before now that Billie Piper was a musician.

Having watched that video: she's not

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Who
"Voyage of the Damned"
Series 4, Episode 0

At this point, there's not many ways Doctor Who can really hurt me any more. After "Love and Monsters", after "Boom Town", after "The Parting of the Ways" and the Manhattan two-parter, I had developed a sort of...callus over my heart. After a certain point I had assumed that I had seen every specific way in which RTD was bad. And for a large part, I was right; knowing that RTD has bizarre, absurd plot developments and a tendency of inability in reigning in his own worst tendencies in his scripts allowed me to ignore, or at the very least look past, all of his deficiencies and enjoy just the good parts.

Which is why "Voyage of the Damned" was so soul-crushingly bad. I had become accustomed to Davies' badness, able to tolerate and even enjoy his specific brand of terrible, and even despite all that- despite all that "Voyage of the Damned" lowered the loving bar so loving far that you'd need sonar just to find it, buried somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic loving Ocean.

Let's...let's get into this, I guess. This seventy-one minute- 71 minute -episode actually starts interestingly, and intriguingly; it turns out that the Titanic that crashed into the TARDIS was not the famous 1912 luxury cruise-liner, but instead a luxury interstellar spaceship on a trip from Sto to present-day Earth for a tourist retreat. The Doctor quickly fixes his TARDIS, then jumps it inside the Titanic, where he quickly cons his way into the decadent ball being held for its passengers. Soon after, he meets Astrid (Kylie Minogue), a maid under the employ of the Titanic who quickly latches on to him. The captain of the Titanic, Captain Hardaker (Geoffrey Palmer), soon intentionally scuttles the ship via lowering its shields and sucking in some nearby asteroids to slam into it and cause it to crash into the nearby Earth, destroying both the ship and the planet in the process. So, The Doctor and Astrid soon have to navigate the dying ship and fix it before it crashes into the Earth below, all while carting along a band of misfits- their Earth guide Mr. Copper (Clive Swift), fellow vacationers the Van Hoffs, Foon and Marvin (Debbie Chazen and Clive Rowe), dwarf, red-skinned, pufferfish-headed alien Bannakaffalatta (Jimmy Vee), and elitist, rich douchebag fellow traveler Rickston Slade (Gray O'Brien).

And that's...that's the episode. After roughly the ten-minute mark, the episode just shifts to watching The Doctor corral these group of assholes through the ship, dodging the rather superfluous goons in the Host, some blatant Weeping Angel knockoff talking robot...things that have been ~mysteriously commanded~ to hunt down and systemically kill every living thing on the Titanic.

I need to remind you, dear reader, this is a seventy-one loving minute episode. There's literally an hour of watching The Doctor and his merry band of fools blindly navigate through bad, boring, dull sets of corridors and terrible CGI while they're variously menaced and die.

It cannot be stressed how unnecessary the Host are as minions. The stakes implied during the episode are already urgent and desperate enough- having to save the ship from exploding, combined with RTD's now completely aggravating predilection for including the Earth being in danger of being destroyed as a character motivation, as if The Doctor only cares about saving the Earth and has no real desire for self-preservation. Where was I going with this- oh right, the Host. They're loving stupid, especially coming after "Blink"- the comparisons are inevitable and, worse, it feels like RTD ineptly aping Moffat -but even beyond that they're, as I've reiterated endlessly, completely unnecessary to the stakes of the episode. As minions, too, as a representation of antagonism, they come off, as so many RTD goons do, as B-grade movie villains, laughable over scary. They check every stereotype of B-movie horror villains as well- their modulated speech, their ability to shrug off most forms of damage, stiff form of walking, and pleasant, sociopathic tone of voice is every single "Evil Robot" cliche given form in the Host, and as a result they're rather boring to watch.

"Boring" characterizes most of this episode- again, Jesus loving Christ this piece of poo poo is almost an hour and a half long. Even if "Voyage of the Damned" were good, which it most certainly is loving not, it would be a tough episode to sit through, just because of its sheer length and emphasis on overlong action sequences.

To break up or, I guess, give the audience a reason to be emotionally invested in the outcomes of the clearly superfluous satellite characters of The Doctor who follow him around like so many stray puppies, we get a bunch of quote-on-quote "character moments" for the group as a whole before they're summarily bumped off. The problem is, RTD has an issue where if a character only exists within the context of a single episode, he doesn't give a poo poo about them as a writer. This is a constant issue with him- it's not just present in "The Voyage of the Damned", but it's exacerbated here because of the fact that everyone around The Doctor doesn't persist beyond this episode, and there's so many characters who follow The Doctor around.

RTD doesn't get the fact that, as I've mentioned before, that every story has been told in some form or another, and doesn't recognize that writing in a character to explicitly have him or her die (or have them Do Something Important and then die, in that case making them a plot device) is absolutely fine- there are myriad examples, in fiction, of writing in a character explicitly to be a motivator, whether emotionally or for the plot- the problem lies when that's the only thing they are in the story. Which is where RTD fails; he only cares about Foon or Marvin, by and large, to have them die, so we the audience get no sense of who they are as characters. We get a backstory- they've arrived on the Titanic via winning some sort of lottery, so they're the stereotypical "people who couldn't normally afford a luxury vacation bringing their own homespun sensibilities to a highfalutin event" and then...that's...it. That's all we get. We don't get any sense of who Foon or Marvin are as people, as characters, what their motivations are. The plot is too obsessed with having it do...nothing whatsoever (seriously, the group of survivors just sorta stumble around from scene to scene) over character work, so when Marvin dies- by literally slipping and falling into a bottomless pit -or when Foon dies right after -by lassoing a Host and then committing suicide because she literally can't live without Marvin, again by jumping into the aforementioned bottomless pit as if she were Donkey Kong in Smash Bros. -both deaths come off as hilarious and stupid because the audience has no emotional investment in these characters, and their deaths are so inherently silly and ridiculous. There's only one scene with Foon and Marvin that's even kinda decent- where Foon confesses to Marvin that she pulled them both into ludicrous debt to basically rig them the "win" -and only because it sorta gives us a glimpse into their relationship and why these people care for each other; Marvin's "You drive me barmy. I don't half love you." is essentially the only real "note" or "moment" either of these characters have.

And this problem persists to everyone else, not just the Van Hoffs- Mr. Cooper reveals that he's a fraud, who conned his way into a job as an Earth guide with a rubbish degree not worth the paper it's printed on, and that's...it. He's completely useless from that point on, either to the story being told or in-narrative as a member of the team following The Doctor. Slade is defined as "an elitist rear end in a top hat", which is barely a character trait, and there is none, absolutely zero, time spent on his character beyond that single point. And yet even so, Slade is probably the most tolerable character in the also-rans, simply because he's the closest to having a personality of the whole wretched bunch, even if it's solely to have him spout one-liners and insult everyone around him.

And then we get to Astrid. Astrid is frustratingly bad because she represents so much wasted potential -she's surprisingly well-acted by Kylie Minogue, and she's clearly set up from the very beginning of the episode to be The Doctor's newest Companion.

As an aside, let's talk RTD vis a vis adding new Companions. If we discount Adam, which we should, RTD's approach to The Doctor's Companions has been almost entirely (Mickey excepted) attractive females. And what's most interesting is they've all, up to this point, served different roles and had different personalities -Rose was essentially a cheerleader who was necessary to bring Nine out of his shell, and served as the sort of variously intelligent supporter of all of The Doctor's actions, right or wrong. Donna was a no-nonsense alternately motivated Companion who was the needed wake-up call to get The Doctor immediately out of his funk, and Martha was, at her best, a supremely competent Companion who brought an air of professionalism and quiet dignity that The Doctor sorely needed while working his own Rose issues out. Even Mickey, when he wasn't terrible, served as a dramatic counterpoint and reminder to Eleven that there were other people in the world who were important besides Rose.

The one thing that tied together all of his previous Companions was that they were human- or at least, Earth-born humans (it's never made clear what Astrid is besides "was born on Sto", and knowing this show it's quite possible she's an alien that just looks human ala The Doctor). So with Astrid, what the audience sees is a new Doctor-Companion relationship- one where the Companion is already aware of the interstellar possibilities and isn't inherently wowed by his Time and Space Fuckery. Instead, Astrid brings the sort of mundane wonder at even the smallest things that The Doctor at his best exemplifies- in the one good scene of the episode, as The Doctor and Astrid beam down for a quick tour of the now-deserted London (because of the events of the last two Christmas specials, everyone sans The Queen and a suprisingly expository old coot newspaperman left the city for a bit, which is an altogether reasonable decision to make), Astrid gleefully observes "I'm standing on a different planet! There...there's concrete and...and shops, alien shops, REAL ALIEN SHOPS! Look, no stars in the sky! And...it smells. IT STINKS! Oh, this is amazing! Thank you!"

It's a great moment because for once, The Doctor and his Companion have a shared backstory that none of his previous Companions, being from Earth, have had -and because of it, the dynamic between Astrid and The Doctor feels different than the previous ones.

So it's all the more frustrating that so much of her screentime is spent wanting to gently caress The Doctor. She, of course, immediately want to jump The Doctor's bones- her response of a desire to see it when he says "You should see me in the mornings" is eye-rollingly exasperating, and when she shares the Sto "custom" of making out with The Doctor before he puts himself in mortal danger, it's all I could do besides scream. Even beyond that, though, the fact that she wants to romance The Doctor is problematic.

It's not just that at this point, Astrid wanting to bone The Doctor is almost laughably trite- like RTD had no idea how to characterize Astrid so went "gently caress it, she wants to gently caress him, I guess", and it's not just another sexist brick in the wall of RTD not being able to write a female character who has agency beyond her romantic desire for the main character, but it's that it homogenizes all the Companions. All the Companions should be distinct and separate characters; Donna, Martha, and even Rose at her best served different functions and had important roles to play when interacting with and "balancing" The Doctor- where they all faltered is when they had affections for him, because beyond it being poorly written and implemented into their characters it made their characters samey, and it's yet another bland muddling of Astrid on display here, having her immediately develop a crush on The Doctor. Having characters develop romantic affections for another character isn't, inherently, wrong- it's not even wrong when it's centered on The Doctor -but when it's the exact same beats of the female main character wistfully pining after the hunky male character who doesn't notice her, it's tired, especially when done over and over and over and over for every major female character on the show.

I was remarking all this to Oxx over chat, while watching the episode, because I was under the expectation that Astrid would be the new Companion of The Doctor. RTD was already poisoning a potentially very interesting, very unique Companion with this romance bullshit, and I was just confused as to what his endgame was- before Astrid's dies (in a hilariously terrible way- she drives the major antagonist into the twice-aforementioned bottomless pit with a forklift, via again the noble sacrifice/suicide), and it all became depressingly clear.

RTD had written Astrid to die, and as I've mentioned prior in this review once he knew that Astrid wasn't going to be sticking around beyond this episode he stopped giving a poo poo about her. So that's where the romance angle comes from- it's RTD obviously, and ineptly, trying to create personal emotional stakes for The Doctor (despite the fact that it's been shown literally dozens of times before that he would bend over loving backwards to help someone he barely even knows, such is his obsession with saving people), gently caress the fact that it undercuts his own point by making Astrid samey and boring and her death less emotionally impactful. And it explains why Astrid is barely a character throughout this episode- despite being a seventy-one minute episode Jesus loving Christ this episode is loving long and dull we barely get any scenes of Astrid being, well, Astrid over more nonsense from the Van Hoffs or Slade or loving Bannakaffalatta, gently caress that loving character, gently caress.

It's because RTD simply didn't loving care, about anything in this episode, so despite being so long and so dull the audience has no idea who anyone in this episode is, and since he knew that nobody was staying on besides The Doctor he just completely half-assed it. Except he also overwrote the poo poo out of it, so despite an episode were almost nothing happens beyond scrambling and dying it's also incredibly, unbelievably long.

But all that is unimportant to the most offensive part of this episode, which is the antagonist reveal. It turns out that Max Capricorn (George Costigan), whose company's ship The Doctor et al are on, is the guy in charge of the Host, and the one orchestrating the Titanic's destruction- he's secretly a cyborg (a socially unacceptable condition in Sto), and because of being a cyborg he's ousted as leader of Capricorn Industries (which is also financially failing, for no adequately explained reason, even though this has no affect on the story at all) so his whole ludicrous plot to destroy both Earth and the Titanic was an extremely convoluted plan of his to sink both the company he was forced out from and make a bunch of money (which is literally never explained how he would do so- I guess he sold all of his shares short or something?). Oh, also, he's inexplicably on the ship he plans to destroy for literally no reason whatsoever, and also sends out the Host to hunt down the survivors despite the fact he plans on crashing the ship into a loving planet, which would kill all survivors anyways.

Okay, so his plan is ridiculously convoluted and nonsensical and actively contradictory, Occupation, you're asking, but where is it offensive? Glad you asked. "Cyborg" is rather clearly a really inept analogy for "gay"- like, seriously, Astrid finds out Bannakafalatta (ugh) is a cyborg and literally says that cyborgs have the "right to get married now". Like, there's absolutely no way RTD didn't mean for cyborgs to be a sci-fi find-replace for gay people. So, here's what the antagonist's motivations are: He's a "cyborg" (gay person) who gets outed for being a "cyborg" (gay person) despite successfully hiding his "cyborgness" (homosexuality) for decades, and as a result gets financially ruined for his "cyborgness" (homosexuality) and decides to seek revenge for being outed by throwing his aggressors into prison by framing them for murder, oh and financially destroy an entire company and let's not loving forget the fact that the loving "cyborg" (gay person) is willing to COMMIT loving GENOCIDE ON AN ENTIRE RACE OF NON-CYBORGS (STRAIGHT PEOPLE) AND DESTROY THOUSANDS OF INNOCENT LIVES. This is some amazingly, AMAZINGLY homophobic bullshit. You can interpret what Davies is trying to say in one of two, mutually terrible ways- the moral of the story is "Marginalize gay people, because they have the capability of committing genocide if you give them any sort of power, however fleeting, because gay people are petty psychopaths", or the worse interpretation of "Treat gay people well, because if you don't they could, at any time, commit genocide in response to bullying them". The former is gay panic idiocy, and the latter is so stunningly SJW tumblr bullshit it makes me loving furious to even think about. You know why you should treat gay people well? Because they're loving people! You shouldn't have to feel loving threatened to do so, and spreading that horrendous philosophy if anything exacerbates the tensions and ridiculous bullshit fear that homophobic idiots feel about "the gays".

This poo poo...makes me loving furious. gently caress you RTD, you homophobic loving rear end in a top hat. This is a loving disgusting way to make a lovely, offensive gay analogy with a terrible message (either loving way you interpret it) and you should feel loving ashamed for the toxic, toxic message you're spreading about homosexuals. gently caress you. And it's all the worst because the only other cyborg in this episode is loving Bannakaffalatta, who since he's played by a little person, and has a squeaky tone of voice and differently colored skin and a weird way of speaking (he describes himself in the third person) and is the clear comic relief character, is one step below a ministrel show character. So the only gay analogs in this episode are the villains, and an offensive stereotype meant to comically insult little people. Yep.

As a whole this episode is loving atrocious. It's overlong, boring, dull, nonsensical, poorly plotted, with terrible, nonexistant characters and an outright horrendous climax that is homophobic and offensive in general. There's nothing appealing about this piece of poo poo. Do not loving watch this. RTD is a loving hack and he's wiped out nearly all the goodwill he's built with me. This offended me so inherently, on literally every level (I talk a lot of poo poo about this show, but it had never before now actively spread a derogatory, offensive message ala Last Man Standing; well, we crashed through that loving barrier), that I would never recommend this to anyone. It is worthless, and no amount of watching The Doctor lifted by two Hosts as he flies through the air Superman-style or watching the Queen, hair in rollers and wearing a bathrobe, waving to the flying spaceship just barely pass them by, or the ludicrous and hilariously bad death scenes (all of them, especially Astrid's) could redeem this offensive, actively toxic tripe this piece of poo poo episode of television. As I mentioned before, if I didn't have a gimmick to watch this show, and if Oxx didn't explicitly tell me it gets better I would've quit after "Voyage of the Damned". It's that loving bad.

This piece of poo poo was worse than "Love and Monsters".

Grade: F

Random Thoughts:
  • Midshipman Frame's little subplot is the most decent plot of this episode, with him trying desperately to keep the Titanic going the only part that had any real narrative stakes or urgency (it helps that he's well-played by Russell Tovey). It just sucks that it's so marginal a plot, somehow only taking about five or so total minutes of the plot- also the episode keeps on forgetting that Frame is shot, as he's able to do certain things just fine and other's he's grasping his gut shot and wincing in pain, barely able to stand.
  • Uh, why was Astrid wearing a weirdly chest-bearing maid suit and thigh-high heeled boots as part of her work uniform? Because it literally looks like they bought Minogue's costume for this episode literally from a sex shop, it just looks so cheap and stereotypically "sexy".
  • The Doctor: "I can do anything!" This line, with The Doctor desperately, hopelessly trying to revive Astrid almost makes her death narratively worth it. It still doesn't, especially the ludicrous kiss scene or Astrid turning into magical fairy dust but, you know.
  • "Hey, Tennant, in this scene you're leveling out the descending Titanic, so jerk this wheel around while moving back and forth in exaggerated motions." "Won't this look stupid?" "Nah."
  • Mr. Copper getting a bunch of money and, essentially everything he ever wanted was completely narratively unearned because of how pointless and non-dimensionalized his character was. He's only presented as a full-of-himself buffoon throughout the episode, so he doesn't "earn" a good ending (and it isn't like Slade where it's explicitly a "bad" character receiving a good ending that's unearned; you're supposed to think that Mr. Copper deserves his one million pounds).
  • The Doctor: "So that's the plan. A retirement plan. 2,000 people on this ship, six billion underneath us, and why? Because Max Capricorn is a loser."
  • Astrid: "He's done everything he can to save us. It's time we did something to help him."
  • The Doctor: "Brilliant. Take me to your leader. (Starts grinning) I've always wanted to say that."
  • Astrid: "You might be a Time King from Gannaby, but you still gotta eat."
  • Mr. Cooper: "Rather ironic, but this is very much in the spirit of Christmas. It's a festival of violence. They say that human beings only survive depending on if they've been good or bad, it's barbaric!" The Doctor: "Actually, that's not true. Christmas is a time of peace and thanksgiving and...What am I on about? My Christmases are always like this."
  • Slade: "Yeah. No thanks to that idiot." Astrid: "The steward just died." Slade: "Then he's a dead idiot."
  • Mr. Copper: "I shall be taking you to Old London Town in the country of UK, ruled over by Good King Wenceslas. Now, human beings worship the Great God Santa, a creature with fearsome claws, and his wife Mary. And every Christmas Eve, the people of UK go to war with the country of Turkey. They then eat the Turkey people for Christmas dinner, like savages."
  • Slade: "Hang on a minute. Who put you in charge? And who the hell are you anyway?" The Doctor: "I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old, and I'm the man who's going to save your lives and all six billion people on the planet below. You've got a problem with that?"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

if you haven't seen this episode of televison- don't

i'm in a Genuine Bad Mood from having watched that and I genuinely wished I could've skipped this, the only time beforehand I felt this bad watching tv was back when I watched LMS for review

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

adhuin posted:

I actually really liked this episode. It's paint by numbers DW, but that and the Christmas stuff just makes it fun. What truly confuses me about it is that as you said they cast an international celebrity vocalist as a stunt. (Note that Kylie got her start doing Australian soaps or whatever, so it wasn't bad casting, just stunt casting.) And Astrid has her own theme - that Kylie doesn't sing on. While another woman does. What the hell?

It's a giant missed opportunity the size of the spaceship this episode takes place on!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

For once reading youtube comments didn't make me despair for humanity, because they pointed out there is a Judoon in it :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

Toxxupation posted:

In the grand RTD-Moffat Civil War, I've fallen to RTD's "side"; he's a worse writer, like objectively speaking, but when I think back on "Blink" I think, as a writer, that it's an incredible script incredibly executed, but as I clumsily mentioned in the last review, it didn't make me feel stuff. This sounds rather more damning than I mean, but to me "Blink" feels rather...sterile, like a wonderfully crafted jewelry box but at the end of the day it's still, well, it's still just a box. Even though "Utopia" is often messy, with a kind of garbage "antagonist" in the Futurekind and, as I've mentioned before, the problems with The Master reveal- not to mention the kind of super racist existence of Chantho, Jesus Christ RTD have you ever met an Asian person -all that falls away because the specific highs of the episode: the sorrow I felt for Jack, the wonder and encroaching fear of The Master reveal, the sadness I felt for The Doctor, as he begs: "Master...I'm sorry."- these, well, these are the things that will stick with me when this whole experiment is over. Not the Weeping Angels, the moments of overwhelming emotionality I felt for these characters that I had grown to understand and even sorta love is why I watch this show. Moffat is a writer who is technically impressive, one who I can't stop complimenting on an objective level; one who I aspire to be more like in the way he conceives and executes his stories, but I dunno if I'll ever be in love with his output in the way I can, specifically, be in love with RTD's output even in a mess of an episode like "Utopia".

In a way, this whole thread was probably building to this confession, because on some level (Christ this sounds self-aggrandizing), the differences in personalities between myself and Oxx are pretty much the differences in personalities between RTD and Moffat. It's the difference between emotionality between objectivity, left brain and right brain, not between sexism and not-sexism (which as far as I've seen, is a loving laughable assertion to make against Moffat, personal statements aside) or tired ideas and kitchen-sink storytelling, or any of that: It's the difference between liking a guy because he goes for those big, emotional moments and often fails, or liking a guy who goes for a well-constructed narrative and tortures himself to do so. That's, ultimately, it. I prefer RTD, at this point, but you're not wrong or stupid if you prefer Moffat; you just have a different definition of what you want out of the show as a whole, which is rather the point of the thing. Right?

Toxxupation posted:

RTD is a loving hack and he's wiped out nearly all the goodwill he's built with me. This offended me so inherently, on literally every level (I talk a lot of poo poo about this show, but it had never before now actively spread a derogatory, offensive message ala Last Man Standing; well, we crashed through that loving barrier), that I would never recommend this to anyone. It is worthless, and no amount of watching The Doctor lifted by two Hosts as he flies through the air Superman-style or watching the Queen, hair in rollers and wearing a bathrobe, waving to the flying spaceship just barely pass them by, or the ludicrous and hilariously bad death scenes (all of them, especially Astrid's) could redeem this offensive, actively toxic tripe this piece of poo poo episode of television. As I mentioned before, if I didn't have a gimmick to watch this show, and if Oxx didn't explicitly tell me it gets better I would've quit after "Voyage of the Damned". It's that loving bad.

This piece of poo poo was worse than "Love and Monsters".

:allears:

• Locked thread