Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Just did a 14 hour shift, figured you gays would appreciate this

e: Also, Willie Tomg isn't being guilted into coming to work, but tomorrow will suck without him.

It's so beautiful :allears:

Alright I'm in... PM me where you guys work and I will take a day trip up to Austin on a Monday to come see you guys and work and go get some drinks.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Radio Help posted:

If your boss doesn't realize how incredibly bad it is for business to have a visibly sick person in a BOH position, then his/her business isn't going to last long, anyways. gently caress em. Stay home and eat pho.

edit: I say this knowing full well how exploitative BOH management can be. If you have the insurance for it, go to an urgent care facility and have one of the LPNs or docs write you a "yeah you're too sick to work" note. Covers your rear end in case they try to fire you for it.

The baller thing about institutional/corporate cooking is that this really isn't a concern. Even though kitchens are a world of their own, when they're part of a 1000+ organization that level of caprice really isn't a Thing.

e: Also, Willie Tomg isn't being guilted into coming to work,

couple things here, a) i suck at telling Chef "no" at the best of times which is probably a good habit on balance and b) I had to do it with fever delerium and a head packed to bursting with DXM and sleep aids.

"serious? you're killing me, willie" OH GOD NO, CHEF. PLEASE DONT DIE. I DIDN'T MEAN IT WELL I DID BUT THIS IS NOT WHAT I WAS GOING FOR

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Willie Tomg posted:

The baller thing about institutional/corporate cooking is that this really isn't a concern. Even though kitchens are a world of their own, when they're part of a 1000+ organization that level of caprice really isn't a Thing.

Yeah, I figured. Haven't really been following the thread long enough to know the styles of places you guys work at (cept for CDC, I remember her from the last thread). I've been hosed over many, many times in the past so I tend to project onto other peoples situations.

"Oh you're sick? WELL GUESS WHAT NOW YOU WORKIN A DOUBLE HEH HEH" -The Man, while sulphorous smoke billows from his every orifice

Radio Help fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 4, 2014

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Hey guys I need to find a good pretzel roll for my sausages, I really like the Pretzilla brand from Miller Baking Co but my Sysco area doesn't carry it and shipping on an order direct is ridiculous.

Anyone know of a good brand of pretzel roll that sysco or Restaurant Depot stocks?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Hey guys I need to find a good pretzel roll for my sausages, I really like the Pretzilla brand from Miller Baking Co but my Sysco area doesn't carry it and shipping on an order direct is ridiculous.

Anyone know of a good brand of pretzel roll that sysco or Restaurant Depot stocks?

Sysco carries Tribeca Oven, we use a lot of their products, namely the Challah burger buns. Pretty sure they have a pretzel bun.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Sysco carries Tribeca Oven, we use a lot of their products, namely the Challah burger buns. Pretty sure they have a pretzel bun.

How do you like the challah? I'm using an incredible sweet sourdough bun from a bakery in Dallas through Sysco and they are fantastic,but the challah sounds tempting as well.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

How do you like the challah? I'm using an incredible sweet sourdough bun from a bakery in Dallas through Sysco and they are fantastic,but the challah sounds tempting as well.

It's a solid bun, and cost is reasonable, like 30c ea. Not too dense, toasts well, and doesn't get soggy easily. They don't come precut, so keep that in mind.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Just did a 14 hour shift, figured you gays would appreciate this

e: Also, Willie Tomg isn't being guilted into coming to work, but tomorrow will suck without him.

That's a good Dickbutt.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
I just had a stage for garde manger at a brasserie. It's definitely a different world from the lovely cafe I was working at, and there's no way in hell they're going to be paying me 9 dollars an hour if I work there for 2 years. I was told to come back at the same time in two days, so I'm loving stoked. After not working for a month it was nice to be working, even if it was like 3 hours. I don't think the chef would have told me to come back if I was doing a lovely job, yeah?

Edit: The guy who was training me said he was going to be moving up to saute, so I think I'm going to be his replacement. If I could squeal, I would.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
I've been having some trouble with one of my dishwashers recently. A few months ago he expressed some interest in learning how to prep and maybe eventually get on the line. I said no problem, whenever you get your pit clean and have an hour or so of free time come and find me and I'll teach you some knife skills, I gave him one of my old knives and would even go out of my way to do tons of extra dishes for him so that he's got very little to do when he starts.

The problem is that he's the kind of guy who won't motivate himself to get ahead. He's been getting more disgruntled since we've hired a couple of new cooks, and even had a casual dishwasher who was moved up to full time prep cook in about a month due to her berzerker work ethic.

We've had a couple more talks about it and I've explained to him that nobody is going to hand a prep cook position to him, he has to earn it just like anybody else and that the reason other people are passing by him is because they're showing that they're willing to work harder than him.

I guess I'm just venting because I'm done trying to light a fire under this guy's rear end.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Are you sure he's actually lazy and not just pissed or mad fed up from some other bullshit in the restaurant?

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

All of my dishwashers ask if they can cook. The ones who end up cooking are the ones who bust their rear end to finish their poo poo and then jump in to help the prep cooks without being asked.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

GigaFool posted:

All of my dishwashers ask if they can cook. The ones who end up cooking are the ones who bust their rear end to finish their poo poo and then jump in to help the prep cooks without being asked.

Someday we'll find a cure for EDS (Entitled Dishwasher Syndrome)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GigaFool posted:

The problem is that having a good dishwasher in the pit can do more to make the kitchen run smoothly than a mediocre guy on the line, and I've found that good dishwashers are surprisingly rare. Most of the dishwashers I ever worked with were morons, which is why they were "still" dishwashers. gently caress, I remember one guy in particular who on his own in the pit was as better than three of the regular "entry level" mongoloids who would get hired. At that time I worked on sautee, so he was running my pans all the time during rushes, and I never once remember being out of pans or anything, and on top of that he was keeping the dishes for the whole ~300 seat restaurant moving, too. But he got promoted because he was good, and he became a pretty average prep cook. After that I was stuck with the kind of idiots who would use steel wool to scrub teflon off of a pan because he had no idea what it was.

Not that I'm likely to ever be a back-of-house manager, but if I ever am and I get a guy like him again, I'd do my best to a) keep him happy as a dishwasher, and b) keep the regular line guys from looking down on him because he's a dishwasher.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Not that I'm likely to ever be a back-of-house manager, but if I ever am and I get a guy like him again, I'd do my best to a) keep him happy as a dishwasher, and b) keep the regular line guys from looking down on him because he's a dishwasher.

Which famous restaurant was it that won some big award, and they brought in their dishwasher to accept it because he's the hardest worker they have?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

CommonShore posted:

The problem is that having a good dishwasher in the pit can do more to make the kitchen run smoothly than a mediocre guy on the line, and I've found that good dishwashers are surprisingly rare. Most of the dishwashers I ever worked with were morons, which is why they were "still" dishwashers. gently caress, I remember one guy in particular who on his own in the pit was as better than three of the regular "entry level" mongoloids who would get hired. At that time I worked on sautee, so he was running my pans all the time during rushes, and I never once remember being out of pans or anything, and on top of that he was keeping the dishes for the whole ~300 seat restaurant moving, too. But he got promoted because he was good, and he became a pretty average prep cook. After that I was stuck with the kind of idiots who would use steel wool to scrub teflon off of a pan because he had no idea what it was.

The only reason he worked hard is because he didn't think it would be a dead-end job - and he was right. If you want decent dishwashers, your best bet is to regularly promote them and to try to maintain that reputation, and to be very transparent about the process. If you had a regular up-or-out program for dishwashers after a set number of months, you'd probably have some very hard-working dishwashers.

What you're looking for is someone who works like he's got a good reason to work hard, but without actually giving him a reason to work hard.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 3, 2014

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I've found consistently the best dishwashers are old immigrant men. They know not to gently caress around. Dishwashing doesn't have to be a rung on the ladder, you can find strong workers who just want to come in, put their head down and wash dishes. All they need is some respect. Don't talk down to them, don't allow anyone else to talk down to them, hook them up with misfires. Not everyone has the mentality that they must be on a path to a promotion. Many people are happy with the status quo. They work hard because that's just who they are.

Psychobabble fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 3, 2014

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Psychobabble posted:

I Dishwashing doesn't have to be a rung on the ladder, you can find strong workers who just want to come in, put their head down and wash dishes. All they need is some respect.

Nor does it necessarily need to be considered a lower rung on a ladder. It's more critical to the smooth operation of the machine than pretty much any position that doesn't involve management. That's more what I was getting at - pay a good dishwasher the same as you would any person in a non-supervisory role in the place, offer him the same benefits, and give the same opportunities for seniority and promotion to whatever better-paying parts of the machine.

Of course, if someone is more interested in cooking and wants to change positions because of that interest rather than because of some perception of prestige or higher pay, that's a different story.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I agree that a great dishwasher holds the whole kitchen together, but I feel like if one of them shows passion and energy for cooking, I'd rather help them do something with that than force them to stay in the pit indefinitely. It's especially helpful when one of your line workers gets sick or moves on and you need someone with some experience with your food to help out for a day or until you fill the position.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Here's a funny story for ya.

So, as some of you may remember, I moved back to my hometown to care for my mother last year from SF. I worked in high-end bartending, had been a bar manager, was voted Best Bartender of the year in one of the weeklies, went to a lot of events, worked for an earned a lot of certifications. I was pretty miserable having to move back, leave my life, a place where I didn't know anyone. Even though its on the border of wine country, I got really tired of commuting an hour or more over mountains and in tourist traffic to Yountville so I took a job at a local pub, the original location of a small chain of three.

It is goddamned filthy and incredibly poorly managed. Schedules always hosed up, constantly short staffed, sexual harassment from managers on the floor in front of guests, ordering never done correctly, no cleaning, safety code violations, so many loving fruit flies, old fruit being used, mold in the coolers, etc. I kept bringing it to the attention of the managers to no avail. So, I started taking photos of everything. Ended up chatting with the Exec chef one day a few weeks ago and he asked me to send him the photos. A week or so later we start getting Hotschedules messages from individual managers about how their doors are always open and if we have any concerns, etc etc etc and then a message from the owner's assistant that there is going to be a staff meeting with no managers allowed, just staff and the owner to air any concerns we may have.

I get pulled aside by the GM and an Admin for the company after my shift for a meeting that starts with "we heard that you posted something on your facebook about how you werent happy here..." and I said "Well, that's pretty weird because I'm not facebook friends with anyone that works here, my facebook is private and doesn't even have my real name on it. But yeah, I do struggle with being happy here because in 14 years in the service industry I've never worked anywhere with such low standards for cleanliness, for the products we serve or guest experience. I've brought so many of these issues to your attention over and over and been blown off every time. The only reason the health inspection wasn't worse (five critical, three non-critical) was because I set up the bar that day. I get my schedule with two days notice and then it changes four times in the next 48 hours. I have managers make loud remarks about the size of my breasts and comparing them to my coworkers breasts on the floor, in front of guests. I have to throw away quarts of cut fruit and juice that is moldy and old that other people clearly planned on serving. I have to battle clouds of fruit flies and when you finally hire someone to spray for them, you dont cover any of the glasses or bottles so theyre all covered in poison and when I point that out you say "oh well it's non-toxic." and when I clean out a reach-in of my own accord and bring you bottles covered in mold you tell me to wipe them off and put them back. You wouldnt fix the dishwasher that had water leaking into the electrical box until four employees got shocked (and burnt) by it and there was a full-on electrical fire. I found out by speaking to the handyman that not only was it not plugged into a GFI outlet, someone had turned off the break on that so it would keep running despite the problems." etc etc for about 35 minutes. I explained that I had a detailed log and photos for six months of these problems. I've never seen a fat manager turn so pale or start to sweat so hard.

I'm scheduled to work all weekend, so I guess I'll find out when I go in if I'm fired or being promoted.

I was gonna put my notice in anyhow at the beginning of the week but now I'm pretty amused to see what happens.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Good get them all fired.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Having been management in semi-toxic situations, here's hoping you don't get promoted!

:marc:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Nah, I wouldn't take it anyhow. I loving hate it there, my mom is five months cancer free, my boyfriend just opened a new joint in SF that's #3 on Eater's heatmap at the moment and I'm moving back to SF. Life is gonna be good when I'm done with these interviews Mon/Tues :D

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 4, 2014

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
Yeah, definitely don't bother. Sometimes situations like that can change for the better, but I've never personally experienced it. At least you'll have cool horror stories for your next job!

Edit: shouldn't the thread title say "There's Very Little Meat in These Floor Mats"?
cuz that'd be gross

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Radio Help posted:

Edit: shouldn't the thread title say "There's Very Little Meat in These Floor Mats"?
cuz that'd be gross

Nope, it's a Simpsons quote.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

<Terrible but predictable restaurant poo poo>

Seriously, gently caress them, get out of there and email everything you've got to the local health department so they watch those idiots like a hawk for a couple years.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
I got the job! I wore a chef's coat for the first time ever! This is intense! Now I've just gotta memorize everything and get really good and fast at it. It's definitely not like the last spot where everything....sucked...horribly.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Wroughtirony posted:

Someday we'll find a cure for EDS (Entitled Dishwasher Syndrome)

Yeah, gently caress those people who want to succeed.

gently caress them.

I mean, seriously, instead of rewarding people for doing a good job, we should punish them.

I totally understand you, bro. I've got a really small penis, too, and I do whatever I can to make things difficult for anyone that is capable of doing things better than me. I take pleasure in making things unpleasant for anyone that is more intelligent than me.

My goal is not to have a business that works well because I hire the best and the brightest. My goal is to to destroy the best and the brightest because I have a small penis.

Hey, would you mind cooking me up another batch of roofies? I can't seem to convince any girls or boys to go out on a date with me.

I'm not a loser. I have a college degree. I paid people to give me the answers to tests, and write my papers for me. That means I am better than you. Because my parents earned a lot of money, and you simply exist for my amusement. And my parents paid for everything, and gave me an allowance, even when I was in college.

You don't seriously think I earned what I have, do you?

edit: On a more serious note, please don't be an rear end in a top hat to folks that have the potential to be really great. There is the possibility that one day they could be the one person that might save your life. Or not, if you pissed him or her off too much. There are some folks that actually don't like to be sexually harassed, believe it or not.

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 5, 2014

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

lurker1981 posted:

gently caress them.

I mean, seriously, instead of rewarding people for doing a good job, we should punish them.

I totally understand you, bro. I've got a really small penis, too, and I do whatever I can to make things difficult for anyone that is capable of doing things better than me. I take pleasure in making things unpleasant for anyone that is more intelligent than me.

My goal is not to have a business that works well because I hire the best and the brightest. My goal is to to destroy the best and the brightest because I have a small penis.

Hey, would you mind cooking me up another batch of roofies? I can't seem to convince any girls or boys to go out on a date with me.

I'm not a loser. I have a college degree. I paid people to give me the answers to tests, and write my papers for me. That means I am better than you. Because my parents earned a lot of money, and you simply exist for my amusement. And my parents paid for everything, and gave me an allowance, even when I was in college.

edit: On a more serious note, please don't be an rear end in a top hat to folks that have the potential to be really great. There is the possibility that one day they could be the one person that might save your life. Or not, if you pissed him or her off too much. There are some folks that actually don't like to be sexually harassed, believe it or not.

Um... What? None of that made any sense. If that was intended to be a caricature of me you got a few details wrong. But I've obviously offended you, and for that I am sorry.

That comment wasn't directed at any dishwasher in particular, just at the brand of dishwasher that is unfortunately prevalent in this industry- the guy who constantly complains about the job, creates drama and asks for things like promotions without putting in the work to earn them and then wonders why they're being discriminated against in favor of the "losers and sycophants" on the line. The guy who's constantly in the kitchen (not the dishpit) offering their "help" despite knowing absolutely nothing about large batch cooking, who gets offended when you ignore his suggestion to tourne fifty pounds of mushrooms. That guy. Hell, I'm not even saying that guy doesn't have potential, but if he wants to get anywhere he really needs to stop being that fuckin guy.

And nowhere did I say anything about sexual harassment being okay. That's a wide loving brush you're painting me with. There's a big difference between working through adversity and tolerating abuse. I have firsthand knowledge of both and I've often advised posters in this thread to get out of abusive situations. But yeah, you know me real well. It's all because I have a small penis.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wroughtirony posted:

It's all because I have a small penis.

The first step to fixing a problem is to acknowledge it exists.

lurker1981 posted:

[other poo poo]

I have no idea what you're getting on about here. I feel like maybe you weren't loved enough as a child and the drugs you took last night weren't so good. Whatever it is, you just spewed a whole bunch of vitriol at a person that deserves none of it, so gently caress you.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

lurker1981 posted:

gently caress them.

lol look at how stupid you are

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

lurker1981 posted:

gently caress them.

:stare: I think maybe you need another drink.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

lurker1981 posted:

r u ok

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

lurker1981 posted:

I'm stupid as gently caress

I shortened this for you since you aren't saying anything of actual value or that approaches the truth.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
I'm so happy after my first week as a dishwasher! To all the hard-working dishwashers who feel they're being held down by a jackass chef- that man is an angel sent from heaven to keep you from eating the forbidden apple! The dishpit is on an entirely separate floor from the kitchen! I can read prep notes for school during a shift and nothing bad happens! I'm seriously overjoyed here!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

lurker1981 posted:

You want to succeed, so in making a good first impression in industrythread your immediate act is naturally trying to rip on one of the most experienced and insightful voices in it over poo poo they definitely did not say.

Best wishes in your future endeavors, and good luck with your career.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Willie Tomg posted:

You want to succeed, so in making a good first impression in industrythread your immediate act is naturally trying to rip on one of the most experienced and insightful voices in it over poo poo they definitely did not say.

Best wishes in your future endeavors, I hope you fall into a deep fryer.

The first bit was good, I fixed the last bit for you.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

lurker1981 posted:

incoherent nonsense

So as much as I want to laugh at your silly rant, I gotta ask: what was the root cause of this? Is this just normal internet projection or do you sincerely believe that all kitchen management is out to roofie you?

(we totally are btw)

edit: one of my roommates just started at a restaurant as a prep cook/dishwasher. He was really fed up with being stuck in the pit at his last job (which I got for him), and understandably so, as he had been in there for a year. It was his first actual kitchen job, so I did my best to relate to him at the time, and told him "I've been cooking for years and I had to pay my dues just like everyone else. Keep your head down, bust rear end, don't bitch, and play the politics right and you'll get moved up when the time is right." Instead, he bitched about not getting prep shifts, alienated himself from the management staff (most of which are my friends), and quit right in the middle of summer service. Now at the new job, he's bummed out that some other people who got hired after him (as line cooks) are getting more line shifts that he is and he's being a huffy little dingus about it. I've told him, repeatedly, that he isn't doing himself any favors by whining about it, but that isn't slowing him down. I wanna be supportive of the guy, but I'm getting fed up with his bitching and I don't even work with the guy.

tl;dr: EDS is alive and well and is the true killer of greatness. Kids these days.

Radio Help fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 6, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
sounds like your friend is going to make an exit from service sooner rather than later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
I'm inclined to agree with you, but I think having a km get fed up and put him in his place might actually help put his poo poo in perspective. Nobody has an awesome station a year and a half into the game. Gotta pay your dues.

• Locked thread