Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, though it's more like twenty to twenty-five games a year.

I can definitely see one game a fortnight being more than enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Ghostwoods posted:

I can definitely see one game a fortnight being more than enough.

Not for professional teams. One game every five nights or bust. Now that's hell.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Karim Mubarak for our 2-14 5th pitcher! With our pitchers park he should be able to go deep in those close losses to keep our relief well rested.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

TheMcD posted:

Not for professional teams. One game every five nights or bust. Now that's hell.

Hell indeed. But also, surely, 73 games a year rather than 20...

EDIT:

VVVVV That's a lot of work in a small space of time. Harsh.

Ghostwoods fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 4, 2014

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
The season doesn't last all year (start of April-end of Sept), and it's ~32 games per starting pitcher, generally.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Ghostwoods posted:

Hell indeed. But also, surely, 73 games a year rather than 20...

EDIT:

VVVVV That's a lot of work in a small space of time. Harsh.

Yeah, the workload on pitchers is pretty harsh. Five starters is the standard, and it does lead to about 32ish starts per year.

We can technically run a four man rotation, which would give our best starters more opportunities to pitch, and not have to rely on a questionable starter every five days. It's really risky though, since it means that our good pitchers are pitching without as much rest between their starts. Pitchers have a fatigue measure (1-100%), and if they start a game with less than 100%, it makes them perform slightly worse.

The biggest risk though, is of long term injury. Pitchers generally shouldn't pitch much over 200 innings a year, depending on their stamina, as it can lead to long term damage to their arms. The game models this by having pitchers become more likely to get injured if they are overused, and these injuries can be serious enough to shut the down for a year, sometimes more.

I also didn't mention it, but injures can result in permanent damage to their abilities. So all said and done, overworking your pitchers can be really, really bad.

Now, all that said, sometimes our best pitchers will get a few more starts due to scheduling or because we reset the rotation after the all star break. Or we may even start them on shorter rest in important games/playoffs, because a couple times won't matter too much.

We have some nice depth in our fifth starter in the sense that there's no blowaway candidates, and it's nice to have a few dudes ready to start if our guys are all tired or we have an injury in our rotation. They may not be reliable, but at least they are AAA quality and not 20 overall rated filler dudes.

Alan Trammell posted:

You can put my player on another team if necessary. As long as he gets the chance to run around and catch balls.

Do you have any sort of preference? There's a lot of good players around the league on some interesting teams. If you pick someone in the Sunni Division, you're more likely to run into him.

:siren: Participation Update

I think we've more or less decided on Mubarak for our fifth starter, and Maudad for our scout.

If no one has any more input or preference on lineups or anything else, I'll get us up to spring training, and take note of interesting events along the way.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Can i get a clarification of the order of descriptors?

Is OK better than Fair? Is Decent better than Average?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

Can i get a clarification of the order of descriptors?

Is OK better than Fair? Is Decent better than Average?

Oh hey, that does seem like a good question.

The scale is (from worst to best):

Inexperienced-Fair-Okay-Average-Decent-Good-Excellent-Outstanding-Legendary.

They are technically numerical values, so I had to check real fast to see how they line up.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

JosefStalinator posted:

Inexperienced-Fair-Okay-Average-Decent-Good-Excellent-Outstanding-Legendary.

Heh. I'd have rather thought that Average would be position 5 out of 9. Then again, I initially assumed 'OK' was better than average. I can understand not wanting to slander your NPCs, but it might have made more sense to have the lower 4 values be a little more harsh...

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Ghostwoods posted:

Heh. I'd have rather thought that Average would be position 5 out of 9. Then again, I initially assumed 'OK' was better than average. I can understand not wanting to slander your NPCs, but it might have made more sense to have the lower 4 values be a little more harsh...
The color coding should help, though. Green = good, red = bad, yellow = average, and - by combination - orange = below average.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

On thing about the lineup:

Clink has a lot better better contact vs. RHP than Cash Considerations. You may want to keep an eye on their stats as we work our way into the season (June 1 or so) and see if changes need to be made.

Here are lots of :words: on the statistically optimized lineup vs. traditional lineups if anyone is interested but it's pretty hard to predict who's going to do what at this point (after our clear best 3 hitters, anyway) so I think we're fine for now: http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Meet the Goons

Before we head to Spring Training, let's meet the goons comprising our beautiful little squad, in order of overall rating (batters then pitchers).

Fink may be old, but he's absolutely elite in power and eye, with great contact to boot. He's surprisingly competent at left, though his range may result in a few balls falling that might otherwise have been caught.

At this point, he's more or less an aging Barrold. The only question is, how long can he stay healthy and good before declining?

Fink may be better rated, but Stevenson is our true superstar. Elite contact with an elite eye, Stevenson rarely strikes out, and has the speed and gap power to turn many singles into doubles or triples. He has no power, but with everything else he can do, who cares?

He's quite smart, but his work ethic is apparently somewhat lacking. Can he avoid slumps to lead his Turks to victory?

Clink is criminally underpaid at 55,000 a year, as he may serve as our second best young hitter and possible breakout star. Having a great arm at third base, so long as he can keep the errors down, he may be one of our best value players balancing offense and defensive ability.

Another aging vet, Black has the potential to lead the team in homeruns if Fink has too much time off or otherwise doesn't perform. Locking down first for the time being, Black should sit well in the heart of our lineup and maybe be a team leader in RBI's if all goes well. Let's just hope his age doesn't get in the way of his abilities.

Coming from a poor family in the slums of Dakar, Senegal, Cash Considerations doesn't demand much attention and often goes unnoticed. This drives the man insane, and he has created a series of baseball cards in his likeness, with little success. His quest for money and glory come second only to his love of baseball.

Still, cash money has a balanced approach at the plate, and defensively should serve well in center field, or could be an absolutely elite left fielder should fink finally let age take away his defensive ability. He may develop into something a bit more than he is now, as he is still young, and his hitting abilities have yet to reach their full potential.

Good young shortstop, Tresher is a team leader, though he may not have the work ethic to realize his true potential. Still, defensively he is quite strong and likely underrated, though his hitting leaves a bit to be desired. Will draw a good number of walks and even swat a few dingers, can Tresher lock down the SS position for the team's forseeable future?

Prince Kelly is a quite man who descents from a long line of now defunct Ottoman Royalty. He has a great arm and should be a very effective right fielder for many years, with a balanced approach capable of decent average and a handful of dingers to boot. Look to him to be one of the silently productive parts of the lineup that shows consistent, good play.

Also has a stare that will chill you.

No one knows exactly where Art came from - when he expressed interest in playing baseball, many laughed at his lack of hitting ability. This all changed the day Art tried playing Catcher, and he was a natural, and has since become a clubhouse leader.

By far the strongest defensive catcher in the entirety of MaILB, Art may bat late in the order, but so long as he remains an elite catcher, Istanbul's pitchers have little need to fear giving up stolen bases. Not entirely incompetent at hitting either, Art will be anything but a liability.

Jub Jub grew up in a poor Somali family. His father was a pirate by trade, but Jub longed for adventure. After many years of piracy, he made his way to Beirut, and has now joined our team.

Jub is our designated bench guy, who will pinch hit first in every game. Solid contact and gap power, he should serve well, and will rarely waste his at bats with strikeouts. Age may catch up to him soon, but he should be able to ride it out.

Remember that we still have a few bench guys open, if anyone wants to volunteer to take them.

Winner of the best beard-Tunisia contest since he was thirteen years old, Jihad was attracted to baseball in the hopes of crushing the infidels in the Greenberg division.

Jihad is our only real prospect to speak of, and since his position is first base, there's no rush to call him up. We may see him near the end of the season if Black poops out, but otherwise should be left to develop.

Once he does though, he could be a really productive offensive player.

Price comes from a comfortable life in Syria, and has a good work ethic instilled in him.

He's also our number one starter for a reason - he has 3 elite pitches and will at least contend for the lead in strikeouts at the end of any season. This guy is our anchor, and he will not disappoint. He is truly our golden boy.

Townshend is a workhorse - he rarely gets tired, and seemingly cannot be stopped on the mound with his pinpoint precision. Some have grown a bit concerned about his lack of intelligence, and some have noted that he rarely converses with others in the clubhouse outside of grunting, and never seems to join the team in the cafeteria. Despite his social shortcomings and dull head, Flex should serve as an excellent number 2 guy, and may even be number one someday if something were to happen to Price.

Tor seems criminally underrated, for while he may not be stellar, he will go deep into every game with an excellent selection of great pitchers. With his youth, he should serve as our number 3 guy for a long time, and may even prove his worth as a number 2 guy if he plays his cards right.

Alby is an interesting character, who has a reputation for being a connoisseur of Africa and Turkey's finest fedoras. He is currently stuck at fourth starter due to his less than stellar overall ratings, but he may realize greater potential if his pitching repetoire can come through. He has the distinction of having one of the largest pitch repertoire in the majors - where most pitchers have 2-3 pitches, Alby has five to choose from, including the rarely used Forkball. If he can fool hitters with this brilliant selection, he may overperform and earn a spot at third in the rotation.

The son of Scottish oil baron Angus MacGregor, Rob grew up as one of the first international students in the UAE.

When he isn't striking fools out, he enjoys reading books and long walks on the beach. If the team can manage to generate some close leads for him, MacGregor may lead the league in saves without any difficulty. Definitely the guy you want coming in late in the game to get key strikeouts to preserve our lead.

Glowing with some sort of holy light, Friar John is a very introverted man. His teammates report that he is already balding at 24, while others contend that he's really a monk run away from his monastery.

Either way, John has a nasty set of pitches, which regularly strike out his opponents. Our trusted setup guy, John wouldn't make a bad closer either, even if he may give up an occasional home run.

Campbell grew up from a young age with his only desire to be a professional cricket bowler. He nearly achieved that dream and was trying out for the Afghan national cricket team when tragedy struck - his father was impaled on a wicket after tripping over a misplaced cricket bat.

Scarred for life, Alex Campbell turned to baseball, and his skills have carried over. His curveball is nasty and he strikes out many opponents, and with great stamina, nearly has what it takes to be a starter. For now he is our go to middle reliever, and may even serve as a good long reliever, though his limited pitch selection may hamper those efforts.

:siren: There's still a good number of bench players and relievers left. Let me know if you want to be any of them (or our fifth starer, Mubarak).

Our beautiful goon team, in all its glory:

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 6, 2014

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Sure, make my guy the 5th starter.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

hahahahaha ilu already flex

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Five-tool facial hair team.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Season One, Update 1: January 1 to March 3, 1980

: We've drafted, we've met our team, we've made some changes. Let's do this!

First, I sought out two new replacements for our personnel. This early in the season/league, there's not much talent that isn't already hired, but given how little we need to pay them, an incremental increase is totally worth it.

First, we get word back from scout Numaud, and he's accepted our offer.

: Definitely an improvement over our previous guy. We are still on the hook for 10,000 dollars for the old scout's contract, but that's fine. This guy did get quite a bit of a raise compared to the old guy, though.

Let's see how our new, more talented scout likes our players:

: :negative: Well, uh, lots of our guys decreased their ratings. Let's hope this is mostly because our scout favors tools, and doesn't appreciate the ability we drafted.

Also, we get another letter the next day:

:We had a vacancy in our AA team's manager, which is now filled. Irritatingly expensive given how little it does, but we need a manager on each of our minor league teams to keep things running smoothly. He's pretty unremarkable, so let's move on.

Let's breeze through January and February, and see if anything interesting happens in the lead up to spring training.

Our scout comes back from a trip to Puerto Rico with a new recruit for our international system. This guy is not very likely to amount to anything (has a potential of 22/80), but it's good to see Numaud is already scouring the corners of the earth for talent.

This is pretty important, because there's a random chance our scout will find real gems on his travels. Guys we find by this method are automatically given to our organization, and put in a special category called "international complex". I will move the better ones into our minor leagues as necessary, as otherwise they just sit in the international complex doing nothing.

: Maudad finds another guy in his tour of the United States:

: And our international complex now stands at two career single A players:

: Nice to see our scout doing work. I won't highlight every single find, since most will be useless filler, but I'll take note of any good players found.

That's all the interesting news for our team, let's see what else is going on around the league:

: :lol: Looks like Kabul needs better groundskeepers. Kind of embarassing, but -

: Yikes. Why would you be so embarrassed by a simple treadmill incident?

::eek:. At least he's almost better already.

: Looks like New Dehli is concerned with its lack of fans, and has contracted its more charismatic players to make a commercial. This is being sponsored primarily by India Ham, much to the chagrin of the Muslim and Jewish teams. Guess we'll find out whether their efforts are successful in driving up fan interest.

: Spring has sprung! Our rosters expand to 60 players for spring, so the majority of our organization will be participating. This will be our first, best opportunity to test our vets and newbies alike, and see who overperforms or underperforms.

One nice thing about the pre-season is that you can generate pre-season predictions. The AI will give you its own estimates on how well teams will perform throughout the season, giving us some idea about the general ability of the teams. Given how this is the first season, it will be especially interesting. Remember that none of this is set in stone and some teams will totally defy the predictions, so take it with a grain of salt.

First, the Shiite League predictions:

: Not surprisingly, Tel Aviv and Teheran look poised to be the better teams in the Shiite League. Given the real world stakes, Teheran is very interested in winning their division and representing their league in the final series.

Now, the Sunni League:

:wow:.

: Good job goons. Apparently you drafted well, because the pre-season predictions really really like our team. In fact, we are predicted to have the best record in the league, as well as the largest lead over second place, at 13 games.

We also dominate the top 10 list for pitchers and hitters in the Sunni League. Even our closer makes the list with a droolworthy 14 K/9.

Next update we get through spring training, and see if our old dudes can survive without succumbing to injury!

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 6, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:wow: indeed. Let's see how we can prove those egghead predictions wrong! :v:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

On thing about the lineup:

Clink has a lot better better contact vs. RHP than Cash Considerations. You may want to keep an eye on their stats as we work our way into the season (June 1 or so) and see if changes need to be made.

Here are lots of :words: on the statistically optimized lineup vs. traditional lineups if anyone is interested but it's pretty hard to predict who's going to do what at this point (after our clear best 3 hitters, anyway) so I think we're fine for now: http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by

This is a good post, and I recommend everyone read it. After spring training is done we'll have some idea how our guys are gonna look, and it may be wise to set lineups at that time according to these recommendations.

I'll sim through spring tomorrow. The big factor for us in spring is whether our guys get hurt - there's a good chance at least one of our good players will be hurt, hopefully not for long, but it may necessitate some roster shifting.

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
I'd be happy for the Xerx to be made a bench guy/relief, as long as they're still strong/unsubtle.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

quote:

Our trusted setup guy, John wouldn't make a bad closer either, even if he may give up an occasional home run.
If I got trained well, would this change? I have little idea of how best to manage this team, so good luck to you all!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Arquebus posted:

I'd be happy for the Xerx to be made a bench guy/relief, as long as they're still strong/unsubtle.

We don't really have much power on our bench, but we do have one guy who is super absurdly fast and really good at outfield defensively. Let's see how Spring Training shakes out, as it may reveal some more promising bench candidates (there is one guy with okay power in AAA).

Friar John posted:

If I got trained well, would this change? I have little idea of how best to manage this team, so good luck to you all!

Not sure what you mean by "trained well", but your guy has the necessary skills to be one of our best relief pitchers. It's just that right now we have MacGregor, who is better, but if he gets hurt or has trouble, you are a good candidate for replacing him as our go to guy in important situations. For now you're likely to still be one of our more competent relievers, and while it's not a flashy job, I'll make sure our bullpen gets some love for what it does.

:siren: Goon Participation Opportunity :siren:

While we wait for the next sim, here are a few things you guys can decide/obsess over, if it so pleases you:

This is the strategy screen. We can use it to fine tune our strategy during the sim.

It has many working parts, which honestly, are not worth the effort to explain to you. If anyone is so inclined, they can make suggestions for any of them - they alter things like how often we will tell our batters to steal bases, :bunt:, use pinch runners, etc. Right now I have it set at default, but if anyone wants any changes, just let me know.

More interesting however, is our minor league system. We were given three teams - AAA, AA, and single A affiliates. You guys can choose the names and locations of the minor league teams if you so desire. It's largely flavor, but it might be fun for future reference. Our current teams are:

Feel free to suggest any alternative cities or names, as right now two are in Istanbul, which is really boring. You can also suggest colors if you want. The only restriction I'll impose is, since we are the Turk national team, the affiliates should all be in Turkey.

Our AAA team has an absolutely insane name, so they will always be referred to as the Chops. I can't even tell if the city is a real place.

So suggest away, and I'll get us through Spring Training tomorrow.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 6, 2014

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Let's be assholes, and put the A club in Yerevan, & call them the Marauders. The AA club can go to Athens and be renamed the Conquerors.I should really learn to read. A club is the Igdir Marauders, and AA club is the Kesan Conquerors.

Stiev Awt fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 6, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rene Bork posted:

Let's be assholes, and put the A club in Yerevan, & call them the Marauders. The AA club can go to Athens and be renamed the Conquerors.I should really learn to read. A club is the Igdir Marauders, and AA club is the Kesan Conquerors.

I was thinking someone along those lines too, if only because Armenia is sort of part of the Mid East by some definitions, and doesn't yet have a team :D. May have to reverse my restriction.

You guys are gonna leave the chops unchanged though, just so I can never spell the city name, aren't you?

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 6, 2014

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

One obviously needs to go into Turkish Kurdistan.

On the sliders, we need to he an aggressive team. Play to win, don't play not to lose. Aggressive base running / stealing, play to get a lead during ties, and don't take the foot off the pedal when we are up.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The strategy should be in the middle for everything. Just like people do in the Super-League, it should probably be best to run a balanced strategy during spring training - we can figure out what we're good at later.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Never bunt and always run.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Never bunt and always run.

I'd like to see this in spring training just to see who can run. Stalinator can go into individual players and adjust their run strategies for the season if some of them look like they can steal without loving up (Cam Stephenson, for example).

Slipped on some wet "off-the-field" grass at practice. Totally makes sense.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 6, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

I'd like to see this in spring training just to see who can run. Stalinator can go into individual players and adjust their run strategies for the season if some of them look like they can steal without loving up (Cam Stephenson, for example).

Slipped on some wet "off-the-field" grass at practice. Totally makes sense.

Somehow I processes that and forgot about it - what the hell OOTP?

Val Helmethead posted:

Sure, make my guy the 5th starter.

Done. I'll add you to the third post on page 1 (where I'm depositing all the goon players, and will eventually store their awards and records).

I'll do Spring now, and we can figure out sliders after we see how dumb our players are.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Season One, Update 2: March 3, to April 7,1980

: Alright boys, this is it. It's time to actually play some baseball. I know Spring don't count, but I got not idea what to expect out of these bastards, so let's see what they got.

Let's just hope we see some good practice baseball without too many injuries.

: Yikes. It's not our guy, but this is the big fear here in Spring - Jakarta just lost its ace 74/75 pitcher for at least a month or two of the regular season, all in a practice game. Let's hope the same doesn't happen to us. Anyways, on we go.

: Welp, looks like Cash "Money" Considerations really does live up to his opulent reputation. He's been partying so drat hard that he gained 20 pounds since the draft.

I like your gumption kid, but you're gonna have to pick it up if you want to stop pissing off our manager.

: Oh God, the injuries are piling up for the league and it's only been a week into Spring Training. I know I'm being a bit paranoid here, but these guys aren't career minor leaguers - these are some of the league's top stars.

Oh well, less competition for us I guess.

: Our Scout also did another re-scout of our players, as he will do regularly on the first of every month. Here's notable goon highlights and changes:

:Alex Campbell and Eric Clink see a bit of a negative re-evaluation, and I sure do hope that Campbell isn't already declining. Clink's may be due to some other third baseman seeing their skills improve - your overall/potential ratings are all relative to others at your primary position, and none of Clink's actually skills declined.

Limon is really shining though (and is a good candidate for a goon insertion), with Art and Friar John also seeing some positive changes. Jihad is also looking alright, even if he came out mostly even.

: Also, our league sees its first trade.

Tel Aviv trades two mediocre prospects for a decent third basemen. I included this mostly to show what trading looks like, and to let you know that the AI will not slouch and will conduct its own trades as the season goes on.

: Oh God, an injury notification. :magical: I don't wanna look...

: Phew, just a bruised hand, injured for one day. No big deal. Almost through Spring, let's see if we can come out truly unscathed.

Just before Spring ends, we receive a trade proposal:

: They want one of our third basemen mediocre prospects for a mediocre first basemen. I decline - we don't really need first basemen, especially lovely ones.

Anyways, Spring Training is done, let's see how our team came out:

: Nice! We managed to outperform our division at least, which is great. Don't put too much stock into Spring training statistics or standings - none of the teams were using their best players, typically substituting in younger prospects and minor leaguers to give them a taste of the game, and break in their better guys to warm them up without hurting them. Still, it's a good sign, and a step in the right direction.

Here's how our stats broke down. Before we do so, remember - these stats come with the caveat of being Spring stats, and show their stats against many players who will never make the majors. Also, it's :siren SMALL SAMPLE SIZE :siren:, so we don't know if the numbers will hold up over a season.

I've sorted by plate appearances and innings pitched. The more of those there are for hitters and pitchers respectively, the more indicative the stats are of their skill, as it's a larger sample of their abilities.

First, the hitters:

: Pretty much in line with our expectations, Fink, Black, and Stevenson are forming a three man team with the speed, power, and average we need to score runs. Tresher and Art struggle a bit to hit for average, but that's okay, they are on the team as much for their defense. Prince Kelly somehow matched Fink in Home Runs, which I will attribute to small sample size. Jub is showing skill as a pinch hitter, which will be nice.

One thing that is irritating is that Cam Stevenson managed to only steal 3 bases, being caught 5 times. That's a bad ratio, and we may need to keep an eye on him if he keeps getting caught unnecessarily.

And now, the pitchers:

: Our pitching staff was pretty solid across the board. Tor seemed to struggle the most, giving up an uncharacteristic 4.57 ERA, but let's just hope that it was just bad luck over a small sample. Price's ERA was alright, but his K/9 of nearly 15 is very good news. Campbell struggled a bit but MacGregor was absolutely phenomenal, and we should be looking forward to his appearance as closer. Bolivar Mallen (formerly Mubarak) beat out popular rival Akinshiju for the fifth starter position with great play.

All of Spring's injuries and statistical revelations resulted in a new pre-season prediction:

: Not surprisingly, little has changed, as we didn't suffer too many injuries and most of our players met expectations.

We receive a message from the owner:

: I agree. This isn't a team of losers, or a team of mediocrity. This is a team of champions!

: So, let's get to our first game of real baseball! To prep us, our scout sent some good information on our first opponent, the Kabul Cabal.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Current Lineups and Pitching Roles :siren:

Suggest any changes you desire.

I noticed that the AI really wants Reeve Tresher to sit out games against LHP, putting Gueguen in instead. He's fine defensively, but it forces Clink to play SS, where he's not all that great defensively (39 rating).

Here's Tresher's splits:

And Gueguen's stats:

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
I vote we keep Tresher in. Don't think the extra hitting is worth the huge drop in defensive ability at shortstop.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also, I'm trying to keep the OP up to date on the updates with links, and I've editted my third post to be a goon player repository.

For now it'll just show their info and statistics, but in the future I'll include their hitting/pitching stats, relevant awards, and I'll probably write a short summary of their accomplishments.

I realized I forgot to mention awards - in a future update we can suggest what the awards should be called. Right now there's a hitter award, pitcher award, rookie of the year award, and golden gloves (one for each position) that the AI will choose for worthy players.

I've also created a Goon Choice Award, which we will vote on in thread for our favorite player throughout the season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cash Money is just prepping his body for the grueling season. You saw what happened to all those so called superior athletes with their low body fat in the pre-season, while Cash Money and his so called "weight problems" lead his team in steals and triples.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

JosefStalinator posted:

Done. I'll add you to the third post on page 1 (where I'm depositing all the goon players, and will eventually store their awards and records).

I'll do Spring now, and we can figure out sliders after we see how dumb our players are.

The picture is everything I ever dreamed it would be.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Cash Money is just prepping his body for the grueling season. You saw what happened to all those so called superior athletes with their low body fat in the pre-season, while Cash Money and his so called "weight problems" lead his team in steals and triples.

Hey man, can't argue with results. Fastest 200 pound (fat) man in baseball.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Aww yeah, check that 0.57 ERA. This is off to a good start.

Also, keep Tresher in. That's no Jim Jam level split, so I think we'll be fine.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I also noticed that the AI wants to platoon Prince Kelly and Jub "Jubs" Jub at RF.

Here's Jub's split:

He's kind of a defensive liability with a 48 RF ability (and dismal 38 arm). Let's see if Kelly's splits justify it:

Yikes. The good news is that Kelly actually hits better than indicated in his stats, and most pitchers are righties. (I actually looked, only 18/84 starters in the league are lefties.)

I'll leave the platoon for now, but know that against lefties, Jub is gonna be mediocre-bad in right field.

I'm also not entirely convinced that the RF platoon should be batting second, when Cash Money might be a good fit there.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Season One, Update 3: April 7, to April 14,1980

: Just for kicks, I'll give managing a go for opening day, just to show these Middle Eastern boys how it's done. For the future, I'll manage the team periodically, but our manager should be pretty solid at calling the shots.

As per your suggestions, I kept Tresher in against lefties. Not sure if Clink's quite good enough at SS to justify bringing in Gueguen as Tresher's replacement.

I really need to give a shout out to Ralepozozaxe for generating a logo for Kabul and Istanbul. I'll add a section to the OP for all future contributions.

: Our first game is on the road, against the Kabul Cabal. They didn't do too well in the pre-season projections, but those things aren't always the best measures of skill. I've seen our staff, and I have confidence in my instincts (you guys), so I'd put my money on Istanbul to come out of this ahead.

: A nice brisk 54 degree day (well, actually, night). Here's how the defense stacks up for Kabul, with Stevenson up to bat. They've got a bit of a liability at first and second, but they should be -

: Oops. Looks like our first base runner ever comes on an error by their first baseman.

I ordered a hit and run, and Jub hit a single moving Stevenson to third, when Fink came up.

: :swoon: Our first RBI, run, and lead ever, and we haven't even recorded an out. This is a great omen. I won't bore you with a play by play, let's just get through the game.

Before I do though, here's how our defense stacks up:

You can see that without Prince Kelly in right, our outfield is pretty mediocre. Still, these ratings under-rate our players' true abilities - none of them are error prone, and most of their relevant ratings are higher. Expect this defense to perform well beyond these ratings.

: :negative:

I spoke too soon. Oh well, our pitchers arent there for their defense.

The game progressed, and Price proceeded to give up 3 runs before being pulled in the 7th in favor of Xerxes Ironfist. He completed the inning, and Istanbul stood down 3-2 in the seventh.

: :smug: take that, manager. Reeve Tresher came up big, hitting in the go ahead run in the 7th to give Istanbul a 4-3 lead.

Now we just need the two-man team of Friar John and MacGregor to preserve this.

:negative:

Friar John finished the inning, but now the game was tied at four.

:With the game still tied after the 9th, we go to Bonus Baseball (tm)!

:negative: :negative: :negative:

: Well goons, looks like we took our first loss. A walk off in the 10th, and Fudail would be our first pitcher of record. Oh well, our boys did well overall, and let's look forward to future wins.

Let's see how the rest of the week went:

: Nice! We managed to lose one more to Kabul, but then rally for a three game streak after. We stand at 3-3, a half a game ahead of Baghdad, who stand 3-4.

Let's take a closer look at that 15-7 win.

:wow: 15 RBI's, on 3 HR's, one from Cash Money, Stevenson (who has 3 power!) and Black. Good stuff, especially with Tor giving up 5 runs.

Let's see how our boys' stats look after one week:

Good to see Stevenson steal 6 bases without being caught - this eases any fears I had from Spring Training. Haven't seen much power from the team outside of that one game, but otherwise, it's still too early to get much of a read. For now, things seem fine.

Our starters have struggled a bit in the early going, with Tor getting hit hard both his starts. Still, it's too early to tell if we need to make any changes to the rotation.

One thing I noticed is that it wasn't starting Mallen, and was skipping his start, but also refusing to use him in relief (since he's a starter). I changed it so that he'll now start regularly, but feel free to suggest any changes there.

: Fortunately, no injuries or anything really requiring our attention. Steady as she goes!

Next update, we'll go another week or two into the season (or finish the month if I feel like it).

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 8, 2014

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

The Afghans beat us? Time to start funding a brand new team called the Mazar-i-Sharif Mujahideen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
2.70 ERA
:negative:

I'm... I'm so sorry, everyone. Maybe I shouldn't be wearing a hair shirt under my uniform...

• Locked thread