Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duke Jan
Dec 27, 2009

AGITATING SKELETON

CVE posted:

Well I have to accept that then I guess. I'm just increasingly salty at how little leeway there was for the entirety of the track as even the slightest mistake would gently caress you over entirely. But I guess my drop was equally bad even though I never felt that way probably due to creating it and driving it a ton more than others to make sure it works.

For me it was mostly that it was so late in the track (obviously not your fault), so it was annoying to have to start over again at that point.

In this weeks track I always get so nervous when I make the beginning part right that I drive way to safely/slowly for the rest of the track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Managed to land right side up after the loop!

http://www.gfycat.com/TemptingAdmiredAltiplanochinchillamouse

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I really liked this track once learned how to actually do it. It had this weird "holy poo poo everything is wrong what is happening" feel that we haven't had before in any of the tracks.

You know, what with the palm trees clipping through the walls and what not. This track just gives no gently caress and it's silly as hell as a result. I just wish I had more time to play it longer and get a better time. It's not that I'm not happy with my time, it's just that I'm not sure it's the best I could have pulled out.

BrumDart
Oct 16, 2010

CVE posted:

Well I have to accept that then I guess. I'm just increasingly salty at how little leeway there was for the entirety of the track as even the slightest mistake would gently caress you over entirely. But I guess my drop was equally bad even though I never felt that way probably due to creating it and driving it a ton more than others to make sure it works.

I didn't think I'd ever agree with Satan himself, but this whole track annoyed me far more than the Goon Track ring-drop ever did. My computer was also acting up and frequently causing TrackMania to crash which certainly didn't help things. I saved my first sub-AT replay and just called it good.

I'm interested to see just how much quicker everyone else was able to go, because I know I lost plenty of time on every corner and obstacle.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

CVE posted:

But I guess my drop was equally bad even though I never felt that way probably due to creating it and driving it a ton more than others to make sure it works.
Just out of curiosity do you use a keyboard or a controller? For me the most frustrating part about the drop and several parts of this track is the feeling that it would be much easier with a controller if I didn't suck using them.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Once I actually figured out the path (oh, UNDER the ramp, not down into the floating checkerboard) it actually did become kinda fun. Yeah, half of the checkpoints not being restartable is a tremendous pain in the rear end but this is the first track I hit the author time on since...

How long have we been doing these seasons?

EDIT: I'm still fully expecting last place.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

CVE posted:

Time submitted probably super bad since I only managed to complete the track 3 times in over 5 hours of trying because its the worst track in existence. gently caress you Entropist you are the Hitler of Trackmania to me. :argh:

I'm incredibly confused by this. :confused:

Did you just start over every time you screwed up even a little bit, or what?

I completed the track on my second run. Granted, my time was crap, but I wasn't going balls-out so I could see what the track was about and...well...finish it.

Even when I was trying for a good time, I still finished fairly often. The track was a little janky in spots because of the block mixing, but it was cool and different. And yeah, for me at least, your Goontrack drop was way less forgiving than anything in this track. :shrug:

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Actually finished the track without having to restart at a checkpoint and managed to barely beat the gold medal time. Just can't make it go any better so have to accept my crap time this week.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

CVE posted:

Probably doesn't even mean jack squat in the grand scheme of things since Stercus is the only track that going to decide global standing with its retarded 10+ minutes running time. I don't mind having a bonus track but it literally being a track that invalidates every other result is just plain stupid as the time differences in a track that massive are going to be ridiculous.

I think the plan there is to take the average lap time (~2 mins), or something like that, to avoid this issue.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

RichardA posted:

Just out of curiosity do you use a keyboard or a controller? For me the most frustrating part about the drop and several parts of this track is the feeling that it would be much easier with a controller if I didn't suck using them.

I'm using a standard keyboard using my right hand for up/down/left and my left hand just for the left arrow key so I guess it's kinda strange.

aas Bandit posted:

I completed the track on my second run. Granted, my time was crap, but I wasn't going balls-out so I could see what the track was about and...well...finish it.

Even when I was trying for a good time, I still finished fairly often. The track was a little janky in spots because of the block mixing, but it was cool and different. And yeah, for me at least, your Goontrack drop was way less forgiving than anything in this track. :shrug:

Something like that as I'm a little bit of a perfectionist but in this track most restarts came from either ramming into an object and basically becoming stuck or dropping of the map/getting flipped on my backside.

In the end it was just purely rage talk but I needed to get it off my chest at that moment and I apologize.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's perfectly fine to hit walls, depending on where it is. Pretty sure I ping ponged quite a bit on my best time.

aas Bandit posted:

I had trouble figuring out where to go, but once I did I started to love this track. The jankiness was part of the charm.

But gently caress that GT1 drop.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Found it already. The skip is so difficult to do and the crash takes enough momentum away that it's kinda useless.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
:siren: Grimwit, TurboFlamingChicken :siren:

You sent in the demo replay instead of your actual replay. If you wanna pretend to be Entropist you have to do better than that. :v: Please email in your correct time if you don't wanna end up with the default.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

CVE posted:

I'm using a standard keyboard using my right hand for up/down/left and my left hand just for the left arrow key so I guess it's kinda strange.

Yeah, I'm on keyboard as well. Left hand is r/l and right hand is acceleration/brake.

Nothing to apologize for--this game can make you rage. I just wasn't sure if I was missing something. :)

Sup, I had a bit of a wonky weekend, but I'll try to get you some replays soon.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Whelp, when you get a time that is pretty much the author time mistakes will be made. Correct one sent.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I... I won.

How did this happen? I didn't use any cuts and there were multiple times I lost runs that were -3.xx.
I thought I would be 6th at the highest.

Hiilai
Jun 13, 2009

FillInTheBlank posted:

I... I won.

How did this happen? I didn't use any cuts and there were multiple times I lost runs that were -3.xx.
I thought I would be 6th at the highest.

Yeah, I'm amazed as well. I had only two days to play this track and saw plenty of room for improvement. And whoop, second! Go us!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Yay, everyone else sucked even more!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Oh yeah I forgot to post it, but the results are up. Also it goes without saying: The season is ending!

quote:

Track 10: 2014 Goontrack 2 by Twisted Eye, FillInTheBlank, Eddy Rasta, Neofelis, Lowen, rear end Bandit
Gold: 1:40.00

Manual Download - Steam - Blame Chart

Bonus Track: Stercus Bonus by Entropist
Gold: 10:44.00 (5 laps)

Manual Download - Steam

Replays are due by 9AM GMT (4AM EST, 1AM PST) on Monday 13th October 2014.
Bonus track submissions have to be manually sent in by e-mail (remember to include your nickname). For those stressing about the bonus track, stop stressing about the bonus track. It's a bonus, it's not gonna be weighted the same as the rest, and you're not gonna end up in a huge advantage if you don't participate.

Besides you still got the Goon Track to get mad about. :v:

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
gahhh I didn't bother to check and thought I had another day on the previous track. Even my crappy 'pause for now' run was over half a minute faster than that durn absentee time. Beh. Maybe I can better the bonus race time I had.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

SupSuper posted:

:siren: Grimwit, TurboFlamingChicken :siren:

You sent in the demo replay instead of your actual replay. If you wanna pretend to be Entropist you have to do better than that. :v: Please email in your correct time if you don't wanna end up with the default.

You read the file name? I could not have foreseen this.
Chicken, the jig is up. He caught us.

Alright, I've given into your demands and sent a replay email with the "real" submission attached.
*mutter mutter* foiled again *mutter*

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Stercus is actually kinda fun once you figure it out if it wasn't a multi-lap one. That makes it excruciatingly tense since you can't gently caress up once and the reference times are completely unattainable unless you are a robot or some higher lifeform made for trackmania. Even if I were to erase my gently caress up I would still be out 3-5 seconds of gold alone. And once you have a good lap you get fearful of loving up and get slower in the following laps because you're scared.

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
That is why it is an endurance bonus track. Much better to drive a little safer and slower so you don't gently caress up 7 minutes into your attempt. Unless you want to live on the edge.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
This will be my replay for the goon track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3RogocRxEU

Not really winning though, still the best that I got.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 7, 2014

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007
Sent in my time for goontrack 2, finally beat my previous best, a run where I had thought for sure I needed to slow down in order to get through. Took me a while to figure out you can just go full throttle through it! That and I saved a good 1.5 seconds by taking the closest finish line. Hope I can make some time up on Ghetto Wizard who's been kicking my rear end the past few courses :argh:. Now time to go and try to improve my bonus track time as much as I can.

Any eta on the track 4 vid?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

:siren: Reminder that today is Sunday :siren:

AtomicSX posted:

Sent in my time for goontrack 2, finally beat my previous best, a run where I had thought for sure I needed to slow down in order to get through. Took me a while to figure out you can just go full throttle through it! That and I saved a good 1.5 seconds by taking the closest finish line. Hope I can make some time up on Ghetto Wizard who's been kicking my rear end the past few courses :argh:. Now time to go and try to improve my bonus track time as much as I can.

Any eta on the track 4 vid?
Sorry about the delay, everyone involved came down with a bad case of "having a job". :(

Race 4 - Artificial Datastream

Video: HD ~ SD

Progress on next videos:

This thread is gonna be around for a while.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 21, 2014

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007

SupSuper posted:

Sorry about the delay, everyone involved came down with a bad case of "having a job". :(

Race 4 - Artificial Datastream

Haha no worries I know actual responsibilities take preference over TM2.

That thousand yard stare zoom cam on ghetto wizard's run was hilarious.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

AtomicSX posted:

That thousand yard stare zoom cam on ghetto wizard's run was hilarious.

Was going to post exactly this.

Thanks SupSuper for doing the editing this time. I'm swarmed with work right now.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Send in my times for both Stercus (to the email account) and the Goontrack. As I said before Stercus was fun for one round because if you drive it to the limit there are a surprising amount of places to save a good amount of time. My submitted time I'm ok with 4 laps and made a mistake on the last one that almost made me restart like all the other times I came that far but I just didn't give a drat at that point so 3-4 secs be damned.

The Goontrack was quite the piece of work in itself. I'm sure I could cut off some time but I'm simply too burned out on Trackmania to try after getting a decent enough run. The shortcut was quite the luck part but then again at least it was at the beginning. the angled jumps were mean and the part where you have to turn completely is kinda unfun since it takes the entire speed out of things. Otherwise its a map that fits in with all the other Goontracks in that its a sadistic piece of work.

All in all Season was fun despite massive amount of salt and rage generated on my part.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Sent in a bare minimum :effort: run for goontrack 2. Could probably get 3 seconds off it but real life happened.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Welp, congratulations, Goons.
You've created a track that made me yell at my wife.
Five years and I never yelled at her before.
Marriage in jeopardy because you had to make a frustrating track.

I hope you're happy with yourself.:argh:

Replay submitted.
Don't care if I come in last.
I now have to trade track time with getting flowers and sleeping on couch time.

Edit: Bonus track time sent through email.

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 13, 2014

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007
Not my best effort on the bonus track, but it will have to do. Good season goons, can't wait to see the rest of the videos!

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Grimwit posted:

Replay submitted.

I'm sorry :(

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Grimwit posted:

Replay submitted.

That's hilarious. I hope you're not entirely serious. If you are, it's kind of sad but still hilarious, but I'll feel slightly hopeful and apprehensive at the same time that it was my section that pushed you over the edge.

I'm a moron and thought the bonus track was due next week. I don't have any time, so I said gently caress it and sent in my second run. It's lovely. :smith:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Wooh, made the A division! in last place

My start actually looked really good watching that video. And then I'm looking like a total chump at the end.

Duke Jan
Dec 27, 2009

AGITATING SKELETON
I was stupid and sent the wrong replay on the site. I sent it again (together with the bonus track replay) to the e-mail address, but now I can't find this back in my sent e-mail folder. Am I just super incompetent at using a computer or did you receive it SupSuper (or whoever checks the mail address)?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Jabor posted:

Wooh, made the A division! in last place

My start actually looked really good watching that video. And then I'm looking like a total chump at the end.

I had the best start beside Entropist but the central part gave me a lot of grief and put me in last place after the loop. Fortunately thanks to a decent landing and perfect driving in the last turns I managed to gain three or four positions right at the end.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Looks like I lost a bunch of time at the last jump... I guess I didn't try to jump right. Oh well, still good enough :smug:

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

aas Bandit posted:

That's hilarious. I hope you're not entirely serious.

Only half serious.
I did yell at my wife, but she thought it was funny.
Flowers yes. Couch no.
Marriage still in the clear. Unlike my lap time for the bonus track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Duke Jan posted:

I was stupid and sent the wrong replay on the site. I sent it again (together with the bonus track replay) to the e-mail address, but now I can't find this back in my sent e-mail folder. Am I just super incompetent at using a computer or did you receive it SupSuper (or whoever checks the mail address)?
I got it. :)

Final results will be a while as we have to manually process all the bonus results and see what's the best threshold to use.

• Locked thread