Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Valiantman posted:

Yeah... about that...

I only have one of those left, since I doubt my guys had the time to grab the one from the latest pair of casualties behind O.K. Corral. I'm not sure which squad has it since they're all just bunched up in the gully there.

Really? You have five infantry teams left, and each one should have an MG42. Some of them have taken losses, but it doesn't seem like you would have lost all but one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Kenzie posted:

Really? You have five infantry teams left, and each one should have an MG42. Some of them have taken losses, but it doesn't seem like you would have lost all but one.

Oh? I somehow thought I had one per squad.

In that case I should have three of the LMGs, all in possession of the guys in the gully.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Affi, Thanks for playing! I'm sorry that you didn't have something more interesting to do, but you at least kept some of your men alive and provided us with that valuable intel.

Valiantman, I number the turns as each video being a turn, because the amount of game time that he does in each one varies. The current turn will be the 11th video that Grey has posted. Maybe I could add a row onto the spreadsheet that references Grey's turn numbers.

Edit: I usually hide the old turns on the sheet, but perhaps that doesn't show up for everyone?

Further Edit: Ah poo poo I'm not sure of the turn number myself now, I will sort it after work.

Edit: Next video will be the 12th.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 7, 2014

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
Before I start, I have to remind everyone to use the FACE command to point your men toward the enemy when they finish movement. Otherwise they'll keep looking in the direction they're headed before they stopped (aka West) with their backs to the enemy. I bring this up because I re-watched the video and I can't tell which way 1st Co, 2nd Plt (next to the church) is facing. It hasn't been falling back either and I don't think it has a commander.

Also rewatching the video, my squad was definitely shot at by the '?' armor contact that's further along the road rather than the two confirmed contacts further back.

Kenzie posted:

Eigenstate, please move your HQ FAST onto the 2nd floor of this building, and have them face northeast:

We'll use you to call in a fire mission, then you can move them back outta there again. I could have my Company HQ do this as well, but your HQ should be able to get there a few seconds faster.
Sorry, that order makes no sense to me. Oh... that arrow is pointing toward the building you want me to go into, not the direction you want me to face. :doh:

quote:

As for that team of yours that got shot at by the IS-2, you might want to hide them or even tell them to run away. The Russians might order the tank to area fire at that spot since they know you're there now. A 122mm shell will vaporize a foxhole position if it actually manages to hit. You can always return to that position later once the tank leaves.
How much protection does that adjacent building 1a is in offer from IS2 shells? Because I don't see where else they can go. Maybe further west next to a tank to help it spot?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Ok, a couple of quick notes.

sniper, make sure you have a robust line in the Troll Forest. You've got 1-2 Russian infantry companies with a platoon of armored support headed your way. Make sure your foxholes are occupied (yellow circles).

How you accomplish the mission of defending the forest is up to you. Given the size of the threat facing you, I'd recommend you keep two platoons in the Troll Forest.

Kenzie, A gap has opened between you and 1st Company. With your current deployment, Russian troops can move along the red arrow virutally unopposed and split our lines. Please plug this gap.

The houses marked in yellow should offer good defensive positions to prevent a Russian attack along the red arrow.

eigenstate, to echo Kenzie, please get your HQ into position to spot that fire mission.

gradenko, make sure your King Tiger and your other tanks have good LOS on the northern ridge. Clear target arcs and be prepared to fire on Russian tanks as they crest the ridge

Dralun, if you want to move your AT guns, fire HE on the Lumberjack Treeline, or fire at the enemy tanks, you have my permission.

EVERYONE, make sure you are facing the right direction, make sure you are un-hidden, and have target arcs OFF.

Good work everyone. I know the last couple of turns have been slow. Things are about to kick off and the Russians are in for a hell of a surprise.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 6, 2014

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Time to hold that flank. Movement lines are approximate, as they are marked from the icon for reference.

1/1/HQ
Adjust facing as shown.
Set Target to CIRCLE, 80m.

1/1/3
Fire team (or whichever is closest), get in that foxhole QUICK!
Adjust facings as indicated.
Target should be CLEAR.

1/1/1
Move QUICK into a backup position as shown.
The AT team should head straight across the trail first, then move in the woods.
Target should be CLEAR.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

2 Companie, Platoon 4, 1 HMG Section (2 x MG42s): Velius, located at McDonald's Farm, map reference K-L 4

First section, located in the L-shaped building: Undeploy, and change facing to EAST in the same level (second) of the building, deploy HMG from the easterly window facing east. No movement orders should be required. The face order should point to the southern edge of the foresty patch.

Second team, located in the northeast of the farm: No arcs should be set, should be facing northeast and deployed. That should be happening already, but if not please set them.

Velius fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 7, 2014

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

1-4 Orders

HQ: Maintain position.

Mans: Orders look good.

MrMenshevik: Please post orders. Based on these images, it appears that your teams are out of position:

These are your orders.

This is how they appear in the video. The HMG in the forest needs to pack up and move to where it is in the first image, with a facing along the arrow as indicated. I am unsure from the photo if the second team is in the building or not. If they are in the building, I think that that is a better spot for them at present.

Jeoh: Orders look good.

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

3rd Platoon, 2nd Company

Please ignore the red dotted line.

New orders:
- Platoon HQ will run FAST to the two-story building, go up to the 2nd floor and FACE north-east.
- Team 1b will CANCEL FIRING ARC, run QUICK close to the road behind the building to the west of their current foxholes. FACE north-east, do NOT HIDE.

Older orders:
- Make sure team 1a, 2a & 3a have reached their destinations and FACING toward the enemy. They should be HIDING.
- All other teams should be HIDING.

ORDERS END

---------------

:siren: I've extended the Soviet tank's LOS line along the road that Kenzie drew, and is it possible that our Panthers have their flanks exposed along this line? I'm not sure where they are exactly, but I think they should back up to be right in between the row of buildings.

Also, 1-2 platoon still needs a commander and orders.

Horns of Hattin fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 7, 2014

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

eigenstate posted:

How much protection does that adjacent building 1a is in offer from IS2 shells? Because I don't see where else they can go. Maybe further west next to a tank to help it spot?

Not much protection at all. If we were in Normandy, we would be getting thick stone buildings and giant hedgerows to play with, but in here we just get crappy wooden buildings. A 122mm shell will gently caress us up and those buildings are big targets. It's why I wanted our MLR to be deeper inside the town instead of right at the edge, so their tanks can't get easy shots on us.

You might be OK if you just tell them to hide, but I was thinking just run them off to the west a short distance temporarily. It doesn't have to be far. The Russian tanks can only see a small area there. Their LOS should cut off right at those foxholes. They can also see that building next to the foxholes as well. If you want to be as safe as possible, you can order the team currently inside that building to hide and face west, in the opposite direction of where the enemy tanks are. They will line up and go prone on the other side of the building from where incoming tank shells will hit, which can help quite a bit in reducing casualties.

Bacarruda posted:

Kenzie, A gap has opened between you and 1st Company. With your current deployment, Russian troops can move along the red arrow virutally unopposed and split our lines. Please plug this gap.

The houses marked in yellow should offer good defensive positions to prevent a Russian attack along the red arrow.

I had just ordered us to abandon that area. You want me to cancel those orders? I ordered my two forward platoons to move down the gully before deploying deeper into the town. The Russians are getting ready to move a wave of infantry across the fields to the north, and I wanted to be ready for them.

I thought our MLR was going to look something like this:

But from those pictures, it seems that you're going for something like this?

Is that platoon from 1st Company sitting there next to the mortar barrage not going to fall back? For a while I thought 1st Company was only going to keep one platoon in the forest. Now there is going to be two?

If I put guys in the buildings you suggested, there will still be a bit of a gap there, and we will have fewer troops inside the objective to defend against the attack from the north.

I can detach a few LMG teams and put them into a few of those buildings, but I'm a bit confused.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
From looking at the turn orders on a decent screen, there's a transient spotting at (48 seconds) of Soviet infantry in the gap in the woods north of McDonalds farm northeast of point 178.9, traveling southeast. The general progression from start to 2 minutes later also suggests movement of multiple squads that way.

We nailed that armored car by point 178.9, but they presumably know we didn't have it occupied since it died to fire from my position to the west. I don't have good lines of fire into the forest there, particularly from my ground-level team; they can see north of the forest but not to the south at all. I'm going to redeploy my first team (as stated in my edited orders above) from facing northwest to facing east, which involves packing up and moving to a different window. It's 2.5 minutes of downtime we really don't want, but the alternative is not having both MGs supporting each other if things start heating up. I don't see the HMG fire against tanks being productive, and if it further reduces my likelihood of eating a 152mm shell all the better.

Velius fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 7, 2014

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

eigenstate posted:

:siren: I've extended the Soviet tank's LOS line along the road that Kenzie drew, and is it possible that our Panthers have their flanks exposed along this line? I'm not sure where they are exactly, but I think they should back up to be right in between the row of buildings.

Also, 1-2 platoon still needs a commander and orders.

Glad you spotted that.

gradenko, make sure your tanks' flanks are covered.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Kenzie posted:

Not much protection at all. If we were in Normandy, we would be getting thick stone buildings and giant hedgerows to play with, but in here we just get crappy wooden buildings. A 122mm shell will gently caress us up and those buildings are big targets. It's why I wanted our MLR to be deeper inside the town instead of right at the edge, so their tanks can't get easy shots on us.

You might be OK if you just tell them to hide, but I was thinking just run them off to the west a short distance temporarily. It doesn't have to be far. The Russian tanks can only see a small area there. Their LOS should cut off right at those foxholes. They can also see that building next to the foxholes as well. If you want to be as safe as possible, you can order the team currently inside that building to hide and face west, in the opposite direction of where the enemy tanks are. They will line up and go prone on the other side of the building from where incoming tank shells will hit, which can help quite a bit in reducing casualties.

I had just ordered us to abandon that area. You want me to cancel those orders? I ordered my two forward platoons to move down the gully before deploying deeper into the town. The Russians are getting ready to move a wave of infantry across the fields to the north, and I wanted to be ready for them.

Is that platoon from 1st Company sitting there next to the mortar barrage not going to fall back? For a while I thought 1st Company was only going to keep one platoon in the forest. Now there is going to be two?

If I put guys in the buildings you suggested, there will still be a bit of a gap there, and we will have fewer troops inside the objective to defend against the attack from the north.

I can detach a few LMG teams and put them into a few of those buildings, but I'm a bit confused.

I would also like clarification on whether I'm keeping one or two platoons in the TF.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Kenzie posted:

Sorry for the confusion. I realize I've contradicted myself somewhat over the last few turns. As the situation has changed, I've had to change my mind on a few issues.

Our general plan is the same it's always been: fight delaying actions in the woods, fight a short running battle in town, and then establish an MLR inside the village.We've moved past the initial engagement phase and are now entering the first part of the village phase.

Our initial lines ought to look something like this. These positions have good cover/concealment and can badly disrupt the Russian attack. In the video, Grey Hunter hinted the Russians are getting congested and starting to bunch up, so I'd like to ambush them early and often.

We can fall back to as the battle progresses to our final MLR.

Now, why do I want a stronger defense in Downtown and the Troll Forest? The Russians are making a very determined attack along VASILIY and the Outpost Farm routes. They've made three fire missions and have massed infantry and tanks there. That suggests to me they're making a major infantry push there. I want to make sure we can fight and win down there.

sniper4625 posted:

I would also like clarification on whether I'm keeping one or two platoons in the TF.

Sniper, to clarify, here's your company's mission: 1) using ambushes and hit-and-run attacks, delay and disrupt Soviet forces as they move through the Troll Forest, 2) as part of the Battalion's MLR in East Town, hold the part of the Troll Forest currently held by 1 Platoon, 3) keep some troops in reserve to assist in the defense of Midtown (3 Platoon's current mission) or the Troll Forest as necessary.

The specific of how you accomplish that mission is up to you. Given the size of the Soviet attack in the south (we're talking 1-2 companies of infantry with TRP-supported artillery, IS-2s, and a platoon of T-34-85s), I think you're going to need two platoons (probably 1 Platoon and 2 Platoon) in order to perform your Troll Forest-related mission. But if you think you can complete your mission with fewer troops (or more troops), then that's great too.

Timing and specifics will be up to you and your platoon leaders. Your basic tactical evolution might look something like this:

Again, how you fulfill your mission is up to you. Any advice I offer about specific deployments is only advice. Unless I give you a direct order, feel free to take or leave my suggestions. If you feel like I'm micromanaging you or not being clear enough, say something!

I'm very proud at the work this team has done this game. I couldn't ask for better commanders.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

2nd Kompanie 4th Platoon Mortar Detatchment :gonk: "Why Us?!" :gonk:

Continue unloading ammo from the truck, and keep working on that fire mission. :)

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Scratch orders from phone - 1 platoon to the orange line above. 2Platoon by yellow digs in foxholes there. 3 platoon en route to town continue.

Will try to get more coherent orders out in the morning, but might be out of time. Sorry. :( I'll try to be earlier next turn.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 7, 2014

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Capt. Sniper, I wouldn't worry too much about it as I wouldn't be able to update my orders anyway. As it is, we have one squad on the line, and I'm already shifting another squad forward. I can order them to keep moving next turn.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Can I I get a clearer view of 1 Company / 3 Platoon positions and maybe facing?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

This is the 12th phase of the game, I've updated the spreadsheet so all orders are in the correct column.

JcDent posted:

Can I I get a clearer view of 1 Company / 3 Platoon positions and maybe facing?

I'm afraid I can't get much on them, here's some closeups on the infantry from the last video.

1-1

1-2 seems to have taken "advancing in the other direction" literally - gonna need to sort those facings.

2-1 and 2-2, The dark gray team on the left seems to be from 2-3

2-3 with 1-3 in the background, that's about as good as I can get.

Unit admin

• Mr Menshevik, HerpicleOmnicron5 and TheJJ, please check in if you're still here. MrMenshevik in particular hasn't posted anywhere since the 19th of september. I realize that there may not have been much for y'all to say.
  • Does anyone want to take over Affi's remaining scout? I suppose by default it goes to Herp.
  • If Mr Menshevik doesn't show, his HMGs could be taken over by Fell Fire, or any of our AT/Mortar teams, or Chunky Monkey (treat it better than your panther!)

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 7, 2014

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Kenzie posted:

If you decide to amend your orders for the turn, I at least have time to amend mine roughly 4-6 hours from this post on.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know/can't tell what the lines of sight are like for my King Tiger, can I get some help with that?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

At the moment, nil.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks, Jaguars! and thanks to Bacarruda for the alternative firing positions

I've edited my orders post to reflect a new set of orders to move my Tiger

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Orders are final!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I wonder if I'll have to order anything new after this one? I suppose the longer they are in coming the better, but this hurry up and wait is agonizing...

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Valiantman posted:

If you decide to amend your orders for the turn, I at least have time to amend mine roughly 4-6 hours from this post on.

Too late now, but no big deal. 3rd platoon is still at full strength, and it's just a short hop across the gully to get a few LMGs into those buildings.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Jaguars! posted:

1-2 seems to have taken "advancing in the other direction" literally - gonna need to sort those facings.

Thanks for catching that.

Anytime we retreat, people need to make sure their units are facing the right way.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Jaguars! posted:

Unit admin

• Mr Menshevik, HerpicleOmnicron5 and TheJJ, please check in if you're still here. MrMenshevik in particular hasn't posted anywhere since the 19th of september. I realize that there may not have been much for y'all to say.
  • Does anyone want to take over Affi's remaining scout? I suppose by default it goes to Herp.
  • If Mr Menshevik doesn't show, his HMGs could be taken over by Fell Fire, or any of our AT/Mortar teams, or Chunky Monkey (treat it better than your panther!)
I'd be happy to add units to my ragtag group of pixelmench, just let me know what you want me to take over and who my CO is.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Chunky Monkey posted:

I'd be happy to add units to my ragtag group of pixelmench, just let me know what you want me to take over and who my CO is.

No Problem, we'll need to give the inactives a day or two to show, but I think we'll have something for you.

Bacarruda posted:

Thanks for catching that.

Anytime we retreat, people need to make sure their units are facing the right way.

Would it be a good idea to have a standing order for that? Players should still dictate their facings, but if someone forgets, retreating units should face, say... the nearest known enemy at the end of their moves.

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle
I'd like to hand over control of my MGs. My schedule got a lot busier than I had anticipated. Take good care of my mans.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Okay, realistically, no turn till Monday or Tuesday now. I've got to go traveling on short notice.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Goddamn, that air strike. :(

Goddamn, that ambush. :)

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

MrMenshevik posted:

I'd like to hand over control of my MGs. My schedule got a lot busier than I had anticipated. Take good care of my mans.

OK, no problem. You're welcome to come back in later if you don't go into the other threads, it's up to you.

Chunky Monkey, These MGs are yours. They are the ones visible in this picture, note that the icons sit quite high above where the troops are, you can see the effect with the troops on the far left:

They've been there since the start, here's those orders. You report directly to Fellfire and Sniper4625 is your company commander. Don't forget to keep your tankers out of the way.

sniper4625 posted:

Goddamn, that air strike. :(

Goddamn, that ambush. :)
Finally, we just need to do that a whole bunch more times to break even!

Sniper, we haven't heard from TheJJ for a while, so its likely that we'll need some timely temp orders for 1-2. Some of those guys are pretty lucky to survive, lying in the open like that.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 8, 2014

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Why is a half of the 1st company's frontline facing west? :doh:

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Glad to see us finally inflicting a good amount of hurt on them. :hellyeah:

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

*Grey Hunter, as a favor, could you turn units around once they finish withdrawing? I'll also remind my guys to remind you.*

EVERYONE CHECK YOUR FACING. You should be pointed at the Russians, not away from them.

The JJ, most of your platoon looks like its facing the wrong way.

Kenzie, make sure your company is pointed the right way at the end of its retreat

--

Kenzie and sniper4625, get your men into overhead cover. Buildings, foxholes, ditches, forests, scrub brush, etc. This will make it harder for enemy planes and ground troops to spot you. 3 Platoon, 1 Company just got its rear end shot off because they were in the open.

Also, some of your units have been taking losses. JcDent, The JJ, and TehKeen, have all been hit hard. If you think its feasible, have your subordinates quickly provide buddy aid to their fallen troops. This will save the lives of wounded soldiers and help you recover vital weapons and ammo. This is especially important for the The JJ, since one of his teams just lost its MG42 gunner in the forest firefight (you can see his body at 5:03 in the video).

As you know, this can be done by moving troops into the same tile as the WIA/KIA soldiers and waiting a minute while they provide medical aid. If you do not think buddy aid can be provided safely or prudently, disregard my suggestion.

Kenzie, if you want, you have my permission to pull back vuk83's northern HMG teams. It's only a matter of time before the Soviets roll up tanks to fire at it. If you feel safe leaving your men in position, that's fine, too.

sniper4625, I'd recommend you move your troops 5-10m deeper into the forest (not too far, obviously, or they'll run into the Russian's artillery barrage). As you saw in the video, some of your troops were actually outside of the treeline in the open, exposing them to Soviet fire. I'm also calling in a fire mission near 2 Platoon, so it's best if they

Make sure your HMGs and LMGs have good fields of fire over the advancing Soviet forces.

gradenko, make sure your tanks are in positions with good LOS over the northern ridge, have good overhead cover (i.e. trees, side so houses, etc.), and that their flanks are not exposed to Russian fire from the south.

Make sure your King Tiger has good LOS in the north. I think the Russians are going to push some tanks forward in and attempt to kill the HMG team at the farm. If you get into position quickly, your tank may have a shot at their armor as its distracted and rolling across the northern fields.

----

FIRE MISSION

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

FIRE MISSION

Danger close! :unsmigghh:

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Jaguars! posted:

Danger close! :unsmigghh:

:getin:

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Well poo poo , I could handle a little more detail on what's happening on the northern flank, seeing as I appear to be spotting multiple squads and don't have enough detail to know where they are or if my team is firing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Velius posted:

Well poo poo , I could handle a little more detail on what's happening on the northern flank, seeing as I appear to be spotting multiple squads and don't have enough detail to know where they are or if my team is firing.

Your outside team was definitely firing on them. Good job!

You were hit by something from the little cops of trees in the middle of the field. It looked like a tank shell but I think we would have spotted a tank... and it hasn't fired again in the one and a half minutes after the first shot. :iiam:

• Locked thread