Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Thing is barely anything in the main game uses minimize, let alone on wifi battles.

That's mostly due to most people using the evasion clause online.
Which to be fair, is a godsend of the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Rose Spirit posted:

In the first movie, when the script says "Pay attention to the effects of moves!" it's talking about Blitzle's Stomp, which does boosted damage against a foe that's used Minimize. It's a way to get yourself killed off quicker, I suppose, if the Blitzle can hit you in time.

My experience with these movie things is if you give the RNG a chance to gently caress you it generally will.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I know the "movies" are really more like scenes and it's silly to criticize the format the game uses, but still, it took them til the third movie of a series call The Giant Woman to actually have a giant woman. That's like if Alien took two movies just getting the chest-burster ready to go.

I doubt there's this much though to it, but since someone brought up that this is the first movie series where you're meant to lose a lot, I wonder if they decided to start handing out escape ropes because of that. Health up items for movies where you need to survive, fleeing items for ones where you're losing. Probably not, but it would be an interesting attention to detail.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Zagglezig posted:

I know the "movies" are really more like scenes and it's silly to criticize the format the game uses, but still, it took them til the third movie of a series call The Giant Woman to actually have a giant woman. That's like if Alien took two movies just getting the chest-burster ready to go.

I doubt there's this much though to it, but since someone brought up that this is the first movie series where you're meant to lose a lot, I wonder if they decided to start handing out escape ropes because of that. Health up items for movies where you need to survive, fleeing items for ones where you're losing. Probably not, but it would be an interesting attention to detail.

Nah, they alternated between giving me those and cookies/moomoo milk so.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Zagglezig posted:

It's more like serial film, the stuff they used to show in addition to feature-length stuff at the cinema.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Zagglezig posted:

They're probably just the type of fans who leave you tied up on the bed in the hotel room after a successful premiere. :ohdear:

Tonlim
Jan 4, 2014
Having just finished my own run of Black 2, I'm quite pleased that you take the time to show of the one part of the game for which I had no patience whatsoever (other than pokédex completion, because :effort:).

Also, I know that the "plots" in the movie skits are stupid as a rule, but this one strikes me as especially dumb. Why exactly did "River" sell her the cursed pokéball if he was actually part of an organization who wished to dispose of it? :raise:

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I love Rosa's dorky outfits in these films.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Tonlim posted:

Also, I know that the "plots" in the movie skits are stupid as a rule, but this one strikes me as especially dumb. Why exactly did "River" sell her the cursed pokéball if he was actually part of an organization who wished to dispose of it? :raise:

He meant to sell her a DIFFERENT cursed Pokeball, but all these drat cursed Pokeballs look the same! If only it was a cursed Great Ball, then it'd be so easy to pick out of a line up.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Tonlim posted:

He normally just sells cursed pokéballs off and says they're disposed of. But then he learns that an audit is coming up so he needs it back to dispose of it through the proper channels and keep his job.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

#34. Two Men in a Deer Suit Awaiting Passersby

Choro Notes: In summer, people appear at Undella Town. However, they don't say anything of importance. Case in point, this guy is back:

Music: Unova Route 12 (Spring & Summer)

Ay, ay ay, what up.

Choro Notes: Level jump! The game definitely intends for you to head the wrong way first.

Oh.

Oh!

Oh . . .

. . . . . . oh.

That fish is kinda tough . . .

Choro Notes: You can encounter Tangela and—in shaking grass—Tangrowth in the grass on this route.

Choro Notes: You're actually headed in the opposite direction you do in Black/White now.

Geh. Of course there's a rock up here. Just my luck. I'm not going back to get Mortimer, either.

Evolution's certainly a thing, yo.

Yep! That was worth it! Great!

- - - -

Hey! You're the opposite of me!

Choro Notes: The only reason I'm showing this guy is his Vaporeon does something weird. It will straight up use Acid Armor for three turns to boost its defense to max and then THE VERY NEXT TURN just use Haze to reset its defense to normal. It is confounding why they would even give it both moves.

- - - -

Choro Notes: The TM for Psychic is out in the shallows if you surf out from the beach.

Choro Notes: This guy is also still here giving a random item a day. poo poo, the best thing I ever found in a sand dune was a frisbee and a dead Permit.

Choro Notes: The Yellow Flute is an item that can snap Pokémon out of confusion. It's not an expendable item and is multi-use. Go to town with it.

Alright. Tired of the beach. We have a shore back home. It's full of jackasses.

NO. YOU. GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME.

Choro Notes: Sure we could go with Sucker Punch, but Crunch is working fine and thematically feels nice.

?!

Nnnnoooope. Nope.

gently caress that. Nope. Nooooooooooo way.

Hella ignoring these warnings.

Choro Notes: Lacunosa is also an end-game only town in Black/White.

Music: Lacunosa Town

Oh, what up.

Yeah, yeah. Don't mention it.

Opelucid City!"
Then why am I here?

I don't, you know, really care all that much.

Ah mannnn

Ehhh the geological phenomenon or the plot device?

temperature readings of 058° F!"

A meteorite!

A frigid wind follows it."

Yeah, s'how nature asserts itself. That and also by giving them magic powers.

from getting inside the town."

Great. I'm gonna go talk to an old dude about dragons.

It was alright.

in the story is incredible!"
Jawnie can literally freeze things with her fist, electrify things with the second mouth on the back of her head which she can also hard to the fuckin' density of steel. JUST. SAYIN'.

legendary Dragon-type Pokémon."
Is that singular or plural?

Yeah, two bros got into a fight over a broad and when they both showed up they had a little bit of a throwdown and long story short Zekrom bugged out after striking the two guys Camaros with lightning. Also Reshiram was there. Yeah I know it. Brought up on that story.

Hey, hey, hey. Those are your traditions.

. . .

. . .

The meteorite!

are one and the same . . . "

Wait so you're not taking that elements of the same type were there, just that things that are the same age were?

I'm doing it. You can't stop me.

That's—

Profess—

Hey—

Ladies—

SCIENTISTS.

There's a Cobalion right outside town.

Yeah, I thought so. Gonna go whoop an old man and learn about dragons now.

Pokémon to toughen them up!"
. . .

. . . oh gently caress.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That's pretty hardcore.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Chorocojo posted:

?!

Nnnnoooope. Nope.

gently caress that. Nope. Nooooooooooo way.

Hella ignoring these warnings.

So wait, is Cobalion actually a thing you just walk away from after it cries at you without engaging him or is that just ~LP MAGIC~ making a narrative?

It's been a while since I played a pokemon game and I can no longer tell where the silliness of the LP stops and the silliness of the actual game begins.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

TwoPair posted:

So wait, is Cobalion actually a thing you just walk away from after it cries at you without engaging him or is that just ~LP MAGIC~ making a narrative?

It's been a while since I played a pokemon game and I can no longer tell where the silliness of the LP stops and the silliness of the actual game begins.

No. If I recall the entire trio just waits patiently for you to fight them at certain points. No running all over Unova this time.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Chorocojo posted:

Pokémon to toughen them up!"
. . .

Is that the pokémon trainers' equivalent of wanking? And why is this not a gameplay feature?

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Now I want to see Drayden giving commentary a la Steve Irwin as he puts his Druddigon in a headlock or something.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

:colbert: Man, Drayden isn't even the first gym leader to pokemon wrestle. Y'all need to show some respect for Crasher Wake.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 6, 2014

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Yeah but has Crasher Wake ever wrestled a DRAGON?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Oh no, you can fight him right now if you want. I'm not yet. For reasons. Dude is just standing there.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Dreyden is basically pokemon Mike Haggar, and that's just cool.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He wrestles them to toughen them up. Dude's already so buff that wrestling literal dragons doesn't make him any buffer.

I wonder what his Attack stat is?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dabir posted:

He wrestles them to toughen them up.
Spoiler: This isn't a joke.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

legoman727 posted:

Except, instead of a metal pipe, Drayden uses dragons to beat violent street gangs into submission.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

AradoBalanga posted:

Except, instead of a metal pipe, Drayden uses dragons to beat violent street gangs into submission.

Knowing him, he does so by picking up his dragons and using them as bludgeons. That or biting with that bear trap he hides in his beard.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

legoman727 posted:

I now like to think that Unova wasn't always the utopia it is today and that Dreyden is the sole reason it is now. You do not mess with Dreyden.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Also, the Yellow Flute is straight up my favorite item in the single player game.

So loving useful for getting through annoying bits without constantly switching.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Dabir posted:

He wrestles them to toughen them up. Dude's already so buff that wrestling literal dragons doesn't make him any buffer.

I wonder what his Attack stat is?

Drayden's attack stat is Yes.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Poison Mushroom posted:

Also, the Yellow Flute is straight up my favorite item in the single player game.

So loving useful for getting through annoying bits without constantly switching.

I miss the Call feature from the gamecube games.
Cured Confusion, Sleep and Little Bitch Mode. Uh, Reverse Mode. It also raised accuracy.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Drayden also has a bitchin' beard, which I can respect.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Knowing him, he does so by picking up his dragons and using them as bludgeons. That or biting with that bear trap he hides in his beard.
Why not both options?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

He is, however, not very good at hiding.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

That is one classy tree.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Roro posted:

I miss the Call feature from the gamecube games.
Cured Confusion, Sleep and Little Bitch Mode. Uh, Reverse Mode. It also raised accuracy.

On that note, let's talk Casteliacones. I love those things, but their use is a little odd. As with most foodstuffs, it's sort of assumed your Pokemon eats them, which works just fine for poison and possibly confusion, but I can only imagine them being used as a topical (ice) cream for burns, and just being thrown at them to deal with sleep or paralysis.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Crosspeice posted:

Drayden doesn't hide. He seeks.

Seriously though, dude's great. Second or third favorite Unova Gym Leader.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Dareon posted:

On that note, let's talk Casteliacones. I love those things, but their use is a little odd. As with most foodstuffs, it's sort of assumed your Pokemon eats them, which works just fine for poison and possibly confusion, but I can only imagine them being used as a topical (ice) cream for burns, and just being thrown at them to deal with sleep or paralysis.

Ice cream makes everything better.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Poison Mushroom posted:

I like them too but... hang on. Didn't they change the Flutes in Gen V so they do nothing in battle? I remember being disappointed that their only use was to sell to the corresponding Item Maniac.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

I like them too but... hang on. Didn't they change the Flutes in Gen V so they do nothing in battle? I remember being disappointed that their only use was to sell to the corresponding Item Maniac.

They're under Battle Item with poo poo like X-Defend that you never use.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I have actually used an X- item all of twice. Both times were when an opponent was untouchable (Fly or Dig), my pokemon would have attacked before they'd popped back out, and mine had no boosting moves of its own. Got nothing better to do with the turn...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

StrifeHira posted:

Drayden doesn't hide. He seeks.

Seriously though, dude's great. Second or third favorite Unova Gym Leader.

All the Unova leaders are pretty great.

Brycen or whatever the ice guy's name is kinda sucks maybe, but everyone else is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Raitzeno posted:

I have actually used an X- item all of twice. Both times were when an opponent was untouchable (Fly or Dig), my pokemon would have attacked before they'd popped back out, and mine had no boosting moves of its own. Got nothing better to do with the turn...

If you're doing a challenge run or Nuzlocke of some sort than they can be useful to get past fights that would otherwise be extremely dangerous or nearly impossible. Whitney in HG/SS immediately springs to mind.

• Locked thread